PDA

View Full Version : shoes

princessat37
06-05-2009, 08:52 AM
what kind of shoes have you comfortably worn to the parks? i fear sneakers would get hot and possibly wet, so i need a comfortable sandal, actually a flip flop would be preferred. something with good arch support. any suggestions?
i could use recommendations for little girl's shoes too. :mickey:

FenwayGirl
06-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Crocs definately.

FaithTrustPixieDust
06-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Crocs flip flops for me. Regular crocs for the rest of the fam. Very comfy, they stay on, dry easily, I simply do not think about my feet at all when I wear them.

stephntampa
06-05-2009, 09:46 AM
I was at DHS yesterday and saw lots of people (including kids) wearing Keen sandals.

jrkcr
06-05-2009, 09:48 AM
I rotate days between my asics(sneakers), and my crocs. Both shoes are very comfy to me.

Whatever shoes you go with-wear them alot before you try walking in them all day at WDW!

g8rgirl29
06-05-2009, 10:38 AM
We alternate between flip flops and sneakers. But, we wear flip flops a lot at home so we are used to long hauls in them. We might do 1/2 day of each or alternate days. But the minute anything feels uncomfortable we stick with the sneakers. Also don't forget sunscreen on the tops of those feet if you wear flip flops!!!

figgie
06-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Since I live in Florida, my toes really hate to be covered-up, they just get too hot! I live in my SAS sandals, have them in black, bone and white.

magicofdisney
06-05-2009, 10:59 AM
The most comfortable shoes I've ever worn to the parks, hands down, are my Birki's Caribbean Thong Sandals. They have wonderful arch support, are very comfortable and can get wet. They're made from a waterproof material. There is a website called solesolutionusa and if you look under the Birki's brand, on page 2 you'll see to which shoe I'm referring. They look like flip-flops but wear like heaven on your feet.

pandkx3
06-05-2009, 11:06 AM
I love my yellow box flip flops. They are very comfortable and supportive:mickey:

indytraveler
06-05-2009, 11:11 AM
I just use my running shoes. Asics Gels. When I take them off my legs don't ache. Couldn't wear sandals all day long and walk because of back problems. Feet don't get too hot.

mickeys_princess_mom
06-05-2009, 11:17 AM
We alternate between flip flops and sneakers. But, we wear flip flops a lot at home so we are used to long hauls in them.

This is normally our plan, and usually works. This time, however, the rain left puddles, and wet feet led to blisters. Bought a pair of Disney Crocs flipflops and they were lifesavers!!! (That and about twenty trips to First Aid for those wonderful huge bandaids!)

g8rgirl29
06-05-2009, 11:25 AM
This is normally our plan, and usually works. This time, however, the rain left puddles, and wet feet led to blisters. Bought a pair of Disney Crocs flipflops and they were lifesavers!!! (That and about twenty trips to First Aid for those wonderful huge bandaids!)

Ouch, that sounds painful!! I can't stand when flip flops get wet. They get too slippery!!

nicster
06-05-2009, 11:37 AM
We do a lot of walking. We live in California & travel to the Caribbean & Disney often, thus lots of walking. My best experiences have been with my Merrells & Champion sports sandles. They are made for walking and drying off when they get wet. I take both & trade off on different days, it seems to help. The support varies according to the style. If you have a ‘comfort’ shoe store or a “sports” shoe store nearby that would be where to go. You could also try, sierra trading post on the internet, they have a wide variety and ratings by users. Hope this helps!

estein80
06-05-2009, 11:43 AM
I've tried flip flops, etc, but I have found that my sneakers are always best. Especially wearing my dd (11 months) around the park, I need the support you get from sneakers. I wore a different pair of shoes one night for dinner and Spectromagic and will never do that again. My feet were killing me by the end of the night. In my world, sneakers are the way to go. If you're worried about getting wet, bring second pair of socks.

Imagineer1981
06-05-2009, 11:47 AM
While I always were flip flops, I tend to bring running shoes. Great cushion and comfort. If I know I am going to get wet on a ride like Kali River Rapids, I'll plan accordingly and bring flip flops that day

Daisy712
06-05-2009, 11:52 AM

Does WDW sell the Disney Croc flipflops in their stores in the resort?

wire0monkey
06-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Lots of people like Crocs, but they're too soft to give good arch support, if that's what you need.

I wear Asics running shoes and change them if they get wet.

Teva sandals are another brand of sport sandals that work well for hiking.

wire0monkey
06-05-2009, 12:05 PM
(That and about twenty trips to First Aid for those wonderful huge bandaids!)

We pack molefoam for this. You can buy it at Walgreens or any pharmacy. It's a sheet of canvas- colored, spongey, bandage-like material with a sticky back. You cut out a piece in the size that you need and a cut a hole in it that's about the size of the blister. You lay the hole in the molefoam over the blister. It keeps pressure off the blister and protects the skin from further rubbing. A piece of molefoam will last all day at least. (When I've gone back-packing, I've used the same piece for a couple of days at a time.)

If I know I have a red spot on an ankle or something, I use another product called moleskin. I cut a piece and tape it over the red spot. (No hole, just a piece of moleskin over the sore spot.) It protects it from further rubbing.

FenwayGirl
06-05-2009, 12:37 PM
disney does sell crocs in the resort stores as well as in the parks

Hull-onian
06-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Well, I walked in my New Balance sneakers, for the first time at Disney. After seven days, I got a mad blister on my right ankle. Then when I came home I found the mole skin and purchased it. So now I have it for the next trip. Blister still hurts.:rolleyes:

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
06-05-2009, 01:31 PM
If you want to wear running shoes, get some good socks. Wicking socks (basically polyester/lycra blend) that are NOT COTTON will do miracles for keeping blisters away.

AmandaChan
06-05-2009, 02:10 PM
I have a pair of the girly cros (not the ones you see at the parks) but the ones that have a sort like canvas over the top of the foot with a criss cross of material. Those are good for work with hose but they are NOT GOOD FOR THE PARKS. DH wore crocs this last time and while they weren't that bad for most of the trip he ended up with a couple blisters (he wore socks with them) and they were killing him at the end of 3 days.
I'm going to reconsider my crocs for next trip.

I have a pair of Merrell shoes for nursing and they are fabulous. I have honest to God never had my feet hurt at work. Maybe my back a little from sitting in those chairs, but NEVER MY FEET!!! (and I work 12 hour shifts). I am going to look for some easy to walk around in (the ones i have now are clog like) for the next trip! OR any trip for that matter.

AmandaChan
06-05-2009, 02:11 PM
If you want to wear running shoes, get some good socks. Wicking socks (basically polyester/lycra blend) that are NOT COTTON will do miracles for keeping blisters away.

I need to tell DH this. We both got blisters bad last time.

anewvision
06-05-2009, 02:47 PM
what kind of shoes have you comfortably worn to the parks? i fear sneakers would get hot and possibly wet, so i need a comfortable sandal, actually a flip flop would be preferred. something with good arch support. any suggestions?
i could use recommendations for little girl's shoes too. :mickey:

How far do you plan on walking in a day? The
walking is easy. Its the standing that kills you.

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
06-05-2009, 04:34 PM
I need to tell DH this. We both got blisters bad last time.

Go for it! You can usually get a pack of 5 or 6 at a sporting goods store for around $5. The ones I prefer are sometmes called "sock liners" and are the thinnest they have. Some of the socks are the dri-fit on the bottom with a cotton upper, which helps, but for me when I run really long distances, the sock liners work best.

And as we know from other threads, average walking distance per day in the parks is around 8 miles, so I'd consider that a longer distance!

The cotton socks are just abrasive on your feet for some reason, and these newer technology (actually just old school polyester mainly) help a lot! I hope this little tip helps!

VolMickey
06-05-2009, 04:47 PM
I have a pair of hiking/walking sneakers. They are solid support for a big guy like me.

I tried Crocs our first day last summer in DHS and was more than miserable -- I think my feet were never in more pain in my life. Had to stay off them the whole next day. That said, my DW wore some and love them. Might be that more, shall we say "portly" Disney Fanatics need to stay away from the Crocs.

VolMickey
06-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Does WDW sell the Disney Croc flipflops in their stores in the resort?

As far as I can recall, yes. My DW bought hers in MCO (Orlando airport) near our arrival gate. Wore them the whole week.

princessat37
06-05-2009, 05:42 PM
wow! a lot of great advice! thanks everyone! i'm liking the birki's and merrell thongs.
i fear wearing sneakers because honestly, my feet sweat a lot. i envision blisters and althetes foot.
maybe crocs will be enogh for the kids. :mickey:

How far do you plan on walking in a day? The
walking is easy. Its the standing that kills you.

i've never been so i have no idea. we plan to see and do as much as possible because who knows when we'll make it back again.

Kathy Jetson
06-05-2009, 06:33 PM
sneakers ar the way to go for us . I need my nikes.

DakotaDisney
06-05-2009, 07:12 PM
I would strongly suggest not to wear flip flops in 2 scenarios (both I think aply to WDW):
1. If you are going to be on your feet all day.
2. In large crowds.

People always think, "I wear my flip flops all the time and do lots of walking in them." That may be true but being on them all day and for repeated days like at WDW is different and flip flops are not made with the proper support for all that standing and walking.

I also volunteer with a national youth event that draws large crowds (around 37,000 people). The number one (occured the most) medical emergency that we had at our last event was from accidents with flip flops. Things like toes being stepped on, people tripping, heels being stepped on, blisters, flip flops getting caught in things like escalators. Flip flops are a bad idea for being in large crowds of people.

Flip flops are comfortable, but save them for at the hotel or at the pool or for times when you are not on your feet all day. Go for sandals with good arch support or tennis shoes or at least sandals with straps in the back.

If you are going to wear flip flops or sandals, the tip on here about sunscreen is a great one!

magicofdisney
06-05-2009, 09:30 PM
I would strongly suggest not to wear flip flops in 2 scenarios (both I think aply to WDW):
2. In large crowds.

People always think, "I wear my flip flops all the time and do lots of walking in them." That may be true but being on them all day and for repeated days like at WDW is different and flip flops are not made with the proper support for all that standing and walking.
I used to think the same thing when I'd see people in flip flops at Disney. That is, until I got my Birki's. They look like flip flops but they do not wear like flip flops. And they do have the support needed for a full day in the parks. But I understand what you're saying about flip flops in general.

jcvalenti
06-05-2009, 09:41 PM
I used to always wear nothing but Merrell Close-Toe Sandals ... but when I got back from my last trip, my feet were killing me and my doctor told me I gave myself a killer case of plantar fasciitis ... probably from walking around in flat sandals for 20 miles a day when my feet needed more arch support. Guess that's a side effect of being older and fatter than I used to be.

Anyway, this trip around I've got a nice pair of air-cusioned running shoes with an orthotic insert, and I'm bringing a backup pair of waterproof hiking shoes for when I hit AK and Kali River Rapids.

Donald A
06-05-2009, 10:06 PM
2. In large crowds.

I also volunteer with a national youth event that draws large crowds (around 37,000 people). The number one (occured the most) medical emergency that we had at our last event was from accidents with flip flops. Things like toes being stepped on, people tripping, heels being stepped on, blisters, flip flops getting caught in things like escalators. Flip flops are a bad idea for being in large crowds of people.

Flip flops are comfortable, but save them for at the hotel or at the pool or for times when you are not on your feet all day. Go for sandals with good arch support or tennis shoes or at least sandals with straps in the back.

If you are going to wear flip flops or sandals, the tip on here about sunscreen is a great one!

As a podiatrist, I couldn't agree more with this post. It is very true. A flip-flop or flimsy sandal is not made for walking around many miles at WDW. Generally a supportive running shoe is best to prevent tendonitis, fasciitis, etc. It is amazing the number of patients I have that are young women who have done too much in a flimsy sandal or flip-flop (or quite frankly barefoot) who show up with foot pain.

HOWEVER, before people start saying they wear fip-flops all the time with no problems, I will say everyone is different. If you are going to wear a sandal, typically a croc is not good for walking (standing is more what they MAY be good for). Some others on here have mentioned some good brands of sandals with arch support and not open back but with a strap.

Just my opinion ;) When people argue that going barefoot is natural I always answer back that barefoot on concrete is not.

cherbie66
06-06-2009, 12:13 AM
I recently bought Teva Dozer sandal/shoes and LOVE them! I need arch support and they are wonderful. Since i have gotten them, I don't wear anything else. Last weekend we went hiking in the woods and they were awesome. They are waterproof, comfortable, and a great mix between sandals with the openness, but sneakers with the closed toe and heel. Zappos is where i bought mine and my boyfriends and sisters.

tcswife
06-06-2009, 12:15 AM
I wear worn out old navy flip flops!!!

DisneyWFan
06-06-2009, 05:35 AM
If your afraid of your shoes getting wet wear Crocs. Last time I was down there I wore crocs everywhere but EPCOT. I brought both Crocs and my sneakers with me just in case I need Them

mickeys_princess_mom
06-06-2009, 08:47 AM
I wear worn out old navy flip flops!!!

DD wore these the whole time and was fine!

mickeys_princess_mom
06-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Ouch, that sounds painful!! I can't stand when flip flops get wet. They get too slippery!!

Slippery is right! We did some FUN-ny walking...:blush: Every now and then we'd get going too fast and do a little dance. DD kept saying she was just "doing the little flower dance" (Flower and Garden Festival was going on...):mickey:
:flower::dance:

Giggy
06-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Whenever I've gone before I've just gone in my regular sneakers and have been ok. Next time we go it looks like we'll be going at a hotter time of the year due to college/university timetables. For this reason I may look around for a decent pair of sandals, the hard-wearing sort which are good for walking.

Main piece of advice I can think of that no one has (to my knowledge) mentioned yet is don't go in brand new shoes. Always have the shoes for a few weeks first at least to wear them in. They will be more comfortable on your feet and greatly reduce your chances of foot pains or blisters.

JavaDuck
06-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Last year for our August trip, I took my Keen sandals and my sneakers (Nike running shoes). My other half took a good pair of Nike walking shoes and Keen sandals. We both ending up wearing he Keen sandals a lot more. They're very comfortalbe, give good support, and can get wet, and keep your feet cool.

One of the best pairs of sandals I have ever had.

EeyoresBestFriend
06-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Much to my DH disgust, I take 3 pairs of sandals ~ Teva, Nike and Ecco. All three I have had for years, have great support and I switch between them. The Nikes are great in the waterparks, too!

My podiatrist told me that if you want something comfortable and supportive, it won't come cheap ~ he's been right, but I have never had a problem when we spend days and days on our feet.

We also found that soaking our feet in the hot tub at night before we went to bed went a long way to relaxing our feet and legs :thumbsup:

We'll do anything to keep going for two weeks! (Even socks & sandals) :eek2:

Daddy Mouse
06-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Both DW and I have a pair of medium priced walking shoe and we will also take along our running shoes. We taske 2 pair of shoes in case one pair happens to get soaked. they'll have time to dry while we wear our next pair.

When I was a kid I could have gone throught the parks wearing almost anything and it wouldn't have bothered me, but now that I'm older sandals, crocs would put me out for a day. I know this thru experience.

Previous suggestions to waterwicking socks is good. To take this a little higher up the body waterwicking underwear also helps prevent chafing.

Jodi
06-06-2009, 04:06 PM
I have the same issue, really hard to find the perfect, comfortable shoe for Disney. I probably spend way too much money experimenting. I typically alternate between sandals and tennis shoes. I buy the tennis shoes either a half size larger or in a wide, that seems to help tremendously. I also bring a pair of flip flops for the rainy day or water park day. This year I purchased a pair of Bass sandles that seem like they will work. (they were on sale). Bring lots of band aids and this year will bring the moleskin. Corn pads are very helpful with blisters.

merlinmagic4
06-06-2009, 08:36 PM
I usually wear Tevas and never wear sneakers. I can't stand hot, sweaty feet in a sneaker and it's even worse if they get wet! Yuk!

Belster
06-06-2009, 11:55 PM
After many blistering years at WDW(HAHA punn intended) I finally decided to give Crocs a whirl....and wow was I ever impressed!!!!:number1: I got the cute mary jane not the ones you always see the smaller looking ones and croc flip flops. I took a risk and only brought those shoes...my feet never hurt once, not once. I used the flip flops more than the mary jane but both were equally good.

BTW our whole party of 11 used crocs even the men and little kids..

Tigger&Stitch
06-07-2009, 01:18 AM
On the past couple of trips, I practically lived in my Mary Jane crocs.

However, over the past year, my feet have gotten older! We don't own a car, and so walk to work, around town etc every day. Crocs don't cut it for me anymore, and I'm in search of a new sandal/mary jane to wear on our next trip.

I think I'm going to go with the Naturalizer Mediate and the Keen Calistoga, in addition to my Brooks running shoes.

casey@bat
06-23-2009, 07:59 AM
I never thought I would be comfortable in anything but my tennis shoes. My feet and back hurt when I don't wear them. I wear them shopping, etc. with a nice outfit and don't care how funny they look. Comfort is more important than style for me! I even griped at my DD 9 for wanting to wear Adidas flip flops to the parks.

But this time I had a boo boo on the side of my heel and couldn't wear them, even with a bandage. So I had no choice but to try my crocs. They were great! I never had any aches or pains anywhere! That is what I will be wearing to all theme parks from now on! I didn't have to worry about wetness from rain or sweating. My legs and feet actually felt better than they do when I wear tennis shoes to the parks.

brownie
06-23-2009, 05:51 PM
Teva makes a good walking sandal that my wife swears by. I prefer light hikers with Gore-Tex for waterproofing and breathability.

Mom2princesses
06-25-2009, 03:53 PM
I love Crocs but not at WDW. I got huge blisters from them the last time I wore them at the parks. This time I brought the short socks and wore tennis sneakers. I was comfy and not one single blister!

joonyer
06-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Whatever shoes you choose, don't wait until you get to WDW to try them out.
Even if the shoes come with glowing recommendations from others, everybody's feet are different. So find some shoes that are comfortable for you at home and break them (or your feet, if necessary) in before you get to WDW.
Trust me. I learned this lesson the hard way. I took some brand new crocs that I had never worn much before other than trying them on, and got bad blisters on my insteps. The shoes were fine, but my feet needed to get used to them! :(

DisneyAggies
06-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Chacos...flip flops...
I always wear flip flops (of some sort--tevas, reef, etc). NEVER had a problem, but I LIVE in flip flops 250+ days a year.

Hull-onian
06-25-2009, 06:27 PM
L.L.Bean has a great sandal with support in it. You should go to their web site and check it out. They have lots and lots of shoes. It will give you some good ideas.:thumbsup:

divinedi
06-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Usually bring two pairs of sneakers and a pair of crocs. I like the crocs for around the resort, but can't wear them for a long period of time. It helps to switch out the sneakers, at least I find it does, and also if you get one of them wet.

dog-ears
06-27-2009, 02:50 PM
This was interesting to read - people seem to be equally in 3 camps: running-type shoes/sneakers, sandals/flip flops and Crocs.

For years I always wore running-type shoes to the parks and usually had tired feet at the end of the day but no blisters. Last trip I wore Crocs and had no problems at all and my feet were not tired.

pixiesmimi
06-27-2009, 08:43 PM
I used to wear sneakers, running/walking shoes all the time at the parks. A couple of years ago I bought some backless Sketchers that were supposed to be great for nurses, etc. I wore these and my regular walking sneakers. I had the worst blisters on my heels from the ridge on the back and my ankles swole up with the sneakers. I had several pairs of shoes with me that I tried and no matter what, was miserable with blisters and swollen ankles. I even took my shoes off one night and left the parks barefooted because I couldn't stand it any more. I took moleskin the next time and that helped alot and now carry that and bandaids in my purse at all times. But last year I took my crocs and my FitFlops from Victoria Secret/Bath and Body because they have a lot of support even though they are flip flops. I never had a problem with either or with blisters. DH had to dry out his sneakers every night because they got so wet. I will be taking my crocs again this year along with my FitFlops and Dr. Scholl flip flops. May have talked DH into taking his crocs.

DD wore her Croc flip flops last year and said they were the most comfortable shoe she had worn and DGS (4) wore his crocs the whole time without a complaint.

Dsnygirl
06-27-2009, 10:10 PM
I used to think the same thing when I'd see people in flip flops at Disney. That is, until I got my Birki's. They look like flip flops but they do not wear like flip flops. And they do have the support needed for a full day in the parks.
I have a question for you about your Birki's... I went to the website you suggested to look at them, and they look awesome -- but I'm wondering, do you notice the "textured" material on the footpad of the shoe?? I have a pair of Clarks flip-flops that I love, they are so comfy, but they also have that same textured material that you walk on. I can wear them for a certain number of hours, but for long days, they end up really making the ball of my foot sore -- that texturizing tends to really bother my foot rather than "massage" it like they advertise.

Anyone else have this problem? So many of the flip flops and summer shoes these days have this same texturizing that is supposed to massage and help your feet feel better, but I've only found it to get uncomfortable after awhile. Is it just me??

LVT
07-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Merrill and other name brands make great summer
sports shoes with net sides. Mine are water proof
and made of open weave mesh for airflow. They
are loose enough for orthotic inserts as needed.

Familyof4
07-08-2009, 09:04 PM
I have tried Bass Water shoes--I believe they are called H2O and for kids Skechers water shoes.

magicofdisney
07-08-2009, 10:34 PM
I have a question for you about your Birki's... I went to the website you suggested to look at them, and they look awesome -- but I'm wondering, do you notice the "textured" material on the footpad of the shoe?? I have a pair of Clarks flip-flops that I love, they are so comfy, but they also have that same textured material that you walk on. I can wear them for a certain number of hours, but for long days, they end up really making the ball of my foot sore -- that texturizing tends to really bother my foot rather than "massage" it like they advertise.

Anyone else have this problem? So many of the flip flops and summer shoes these days have this same texturizing that is supposed to massage and help your feet feel better, but I've only found it to get uncomfortable after awhile. Is it just me??
I don't notice it at all. I think the pictures may make the texturing look more pronounced than it really is. When I slide my shoes on, it all feels fairly smooth.

princessat37
07-09-2009, 05:10 PM
pixiesmimi - the fit flops look perfect except they claim they will tone calves, thighs, abs, etc. they won't make me sore will they?

dsnygirl - i've been concerned about that too. i tried on some croc flip flop w/ the "massaging" bumps and it didn't feel comfortable to me at all. :shrug:

kakn7294
07-09-2009, 05:17 PM
I'm one of those odd people that with my plantar fasciitis I can't wear a shoe with an arch in it - MUCH too painful. I prefer my crocs and flip-flops. This year, I plan to wear my FitFlops and alternate with my Maui Island flip-flops. The FitFlops are actually pretty supportive for a flip-flop and have a thick, cushiony footbed.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
07-09-2009, 05:22 PM
I always wear my running shoes, but made the mistake with cotton socks this year. I will have to try the ones mentioned in an earlier post.

For those interested and with a little time to kill, there is a Croc's outlet at the mall just up the street from Downtown Disney. They have a huge selection including Disney crocs.

Disney Doll
07-10-2009, 10:16 AM
I wear tennis shoes usually with an extra arch support or gel cushion added. I also powder my feet every morning to help prevent sweating. So far no blisters.

pixiesmimi
07-10-2009, 01:08 PM
No, you can't tell when you are wearing the FitFlops that they are toning. I was afraid of that too when I first got them but have never had a problem and, in fact, they are my shoe of choice every day. Very supportive and comfortable to wear all the time.

I thought the same thing about Crocs when I got my first pair. I was afraid the nubs would irritate my feet especially without any socks. But I walked all day around the parks the first time I wore them with no problems and they are my second choice to wear all the time now. I have bought some Croc flipflops that I like but they aren't as near as comfortable as my Mickey crocs. I have some Mickey Croc flipflops now also that I will try this trip. I guess the nubs must massage your feet as they say because I never have tired or irritated feet with them.

Williams5
07-10-2009, 02:54 PM
My wife and I are both flat footed to some degree so we swear by getting good running shoes from a running shoe store (not a running shoe you can buy at a just any shoe store). If we wear these shoes we don't seem to have any foot pain.

If I go the croc route, my feet are throbbing by lunch.

I'm also over 250lbs - someone small might be just fine in flipflops or crocs.

Pagan
07-10-2009, 04:58 PM
A good ol' pair of Nikes. :D