PDA

View Full Version : 10 Disney Tricks & Tips

MissionDisney
06-03-2009, 05:14 PM
I Hope these help. They worked out Great for me and My Family of 5!!

:thumbsup:

Back-Pack cooler - I purchased a Back-pack Cooler at Bed Bath and Beyond ($25-) and filled it with Drinks and snacks to save $. I used the Ice Machine at the Hotel to fill it. Well worth it!!

Pack Bottles of water, soda, juice and snacks - Bring and extra suitcase packed with Bottles of water, soda, juice and snacks for the trip. (you can also purchase these items at Wal-mart near Disney if you are Driving) The suitcase can be used to store souvenirs’ for the return trip home.
:number1:

Fruit from the Breakfast Buffet’s - We all took a few pieces of Fruit to bring outside to the Parks to snack on. (Put them the backpack cooler!!) Banana’s, apples, oranges etc.

Drink Ice Water – Bottled Water you have to pay for!! If you get counter service meals, or dine at the café’s at the resorts, cups of ice water are FREEEE!!.
:secret:

Wait for a Parade to start for certain Rides – We did most of the parks twice, so we would wait for the parade’s to start, the lines would get much shorter, and we would jump on rides with minimal to no wait. Watch the parade, the second time around.

Bring your own Stroller - For my 5 year Old (yes 5) we purchased a cheap stroller for $40 instead of renting one for the week at $135. Even though he is 5, it made getting around the Park much easier and faster.

FAST PASS – We Fast Passed the most popular ride first once we entered the park

“Indoor” attractions – A Great way to get out of the Heat!! I recommend Mickey’s Philharmagic!! The Bset 3-D show I ever seen!!

Utilize the Hotel / Pool – DON’T Go to the Theme Parks on the Weekends! It is much too crowded. Stay at the pool, participate in the poolside fun the resort staff tends to do, and go to the parks during the week. Rent Bikes, Mickey boats, Etc..Pony Rides at the Fort wilderness was nice with the Kids.

GO to at least 1 nice Dinner – Remember it is your vacation too. Have at least one nice dinner during your trip. It makes for a much more pleasurable experience.
I HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!

2009 - Wilderness Lodge
2009 - Pop Century
2008 - Polynesian

VolMickey
06-03-2009, 06:14 PM
:thanks: :cool:

nicster
06-03-2009, 06:38 PM
1. Bring your ponchos in your backpack along with a plastic bag to put them in after they have gotten wet.
2. Bring breakfast bars to get a quick start in the mornings, and then have an early lunch & dinner so that you do not have to fight the crowds.
3. Carry Band-Aids, they take up little room, & when you don’t have em, you need em.
4. If you get really wet on Splash Mtn. or some other water type ride, the thick paper towels in the baby changing areas in the restrooms are great for helping dry off. (Much better than the hand towels).
5. Take your time, it is not a marathon. (We tell ourselves this every trip, and end up doing 16 hour days, and feeling beat up- hence #6).
6. Take a morning to go to one of the water parks or the pool at your resort, after a couple of days of WDW touring. We call it hydrotherapy, and it really helps to relive those sore leg muscles.
7. Take time to talk to the CM’s. They are people too and have lots of great stories to tell. Showing interest in others makes our trips way more enjoyable, and at times we have had some pleasant surprises, like tips on great restaurants that we would not have otherwise tried and little inside things that we would not have known.
8. Keep an open mind. Even if you don’t like musicals, the shows that Disney puts on are like no other. You will enjoy them!
9. Try different things. (My brother-in-law came back from WDW & said it was just like Disneyland & California Adventure. (In talking to him, I found out that he didn’t do anything that he had not done already at on of the California parks)! What a waste!! Even Turtle Talk is one we enjoy, we are in our 50’s. DH is still talking about getting to talk to Crush!!
10. I would love to end this by saying; “Go to Pleasure Island, and enjoy The Adventurer’s Club”, sadly that is no longer possible. So I will end by saying; “Kongaloosh!”

KAJUNKING
06-03-2009, 07:01 PM
[QUOTE=MissionDisney;1898891]I Hope these help. They worked out Great for me and My Family of 5!!
Fruit from the Breakfast Buffet’s - We all took a few pieces of Fruit to bring outside to the Parks to snack on. (Put them the backpack cooler!!) Banana’s, apples, oranges etc.
i think this would be stealing, the food on a buffet is to be eaten while your in the restaurant, not to take with you, im not sure if anyone would tell you anything about it but i wouldnt feel comfortable doing this

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
06-03-2009, 07:35 PM
We have had castmembers TELL US to take a piece of fruit along with us if we'd like. We don't know how inappropiate it may be, but we don't see it as stealing. Calling it stealing is a bit harsh. It would be stealing if they hadn't paid for their meals.
We appreciated you sharing your tips. It is always neat to see others tips because we always pick up on something we could use as well!:thumbsup:

Dawn,Denis&Diane:wave::wave::wave:

KappaRho
06-03-2009, 09:02 PM
[QUOTE=MissionDisney;1898891]I Hope these help. They worked out Great for me and My Family of 5!!
i think this would be stealing, the food on a buffet is to be eaten while your in the restaurant, not to take with you, im not sure if anyone would tell you anything about it but i wouldnt feel comfortable doing this

Seriously? Come on.

Zippy 1
06-03-2009, 09:11 PM
We have had a couple CMs tell us to feel free to take a few pieces of fruit with us when they see my daughter does not eat a whole lot. I don't feel guilty because we have been told it is fine to do. I think it would be different if you were taking 4 or more pieces. We usually take a banana and an apple.

disneyworld55925592
06-03-2009, 09:21 PM
these are great tips :) and of course we always take some snacks from the buffet its all you can eat! they always tell us to!

SorcererJim
06-03-2009, 10:20 PM
[quote=KAJUNKING;1898966
i think this would be stealing, the food on a buffet is to be eaten while your in the restaurant, not to take with you, im not sure if anyone would tell you anything about it but i wouldnt feel comfortable doing this[/quote]

If you took an entire basket full of bannas maybe... :mickey: but I think taking a few pieces a fruit with you when you leave is perfectly fine.

Besides... if God didn't want you to have a piece of fruit later, then why did he put it in a convenient "to-go" container ;)

Hull-onian
06-04-2009, 07:19 AM
These are all great tips, thanks for sharing!!:mickey:

BMan62
06-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Besides... if God didn't want you to have a piece of fruit later, then why did he put it in a convenient "to-go" container ;)

:rotfl: Perfect answer!!

There is nothing wrong with taking a piece of fruit or two from the buffet that you paid good money (DDP Credits) for.

Good tips, all around!!! :thumbsup:

FenwayGirl
06-04-2009, 08:37 AM
The servers at the Crystal Palace wrapped up cookies and fruit for us on our last trip..:number1:

Tinkerfreak
06-04-2009, 08:59 AM
I felt the same about it being like stealing until I heard that people have been told it is ok.
I guess if they told you it was ok then it is but at any other buffets outside of Disney it is all you can eat while you are in the restaurant. I think it is because some people would take a couple bananas or something but some people would try to fill a cooler with snacks, fruit, muffins and anything they could fit in there to get another meal for later in the day. If they said it was ok then great but I would not feel comfortable doing this unless they said so.

MissionDisney
06-04-2009, 10:09 AM
I realize there are a lot of negative posts about the "Fruit from the Buffet" Tip. I originally felt the same way about it being inappropriate, however the Cast members/ servers at several of the dining places told us we should. One server actually came out with empty cups with lids and told us to take Grapes for our children.
Another server explained that if a person takes a peice of Fruit back to the Table, and they decide NOT to eat it, they CAN NOT put it back. The are compelled to throw it in the Garbage.
As long as you are respectful, you do NOT get carried away, and intend on not wasting the food, it is not an issue to take an apple or orange with you...Especially for the Little ones...

Cinderella's mom
06-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Yes, the above poster is correct that if you take anything off the buffet and decide that you are just too full to eat it, the servers cannot put it back on the buffet. That is a health violation. I was a manager of a restaurant for a while and well remember SOME of the health violations. Now, we coudn't put anything that was touched by someone else back for someone else to get.

Imagineer1981
06-04-2009, 12:16 PM
I realize there are a lot of negative posts about the "Fruit from the Buffet" Tip. I originally felt the same way about it being inappropriate, however the Cast members/ servers at several of the dining places told us we should. One server actually came out with empty cups with lids and told us to take Grapes for our children.
Another server explained that if a person takes a peice of Fruit back to the Table, and they decide NOT to eat it, they CAN NOT put it back. The are compelled to throw it in the Garbage.
As long as you are respectful, you do NOT get carried away, and intend on not wasting the food, it is not an issue to take an apple or orange with you...Especially for the Little ones...

We have had Disney CMs give us fruit, cookies, etc. They encourage you taking advantage of the food they have. It isn't stealing when you paid for it in the first place.

Goofster
06-04-2009, 02:13 PM
On our last trip, our server at Hollywood and Vine gave all of us hot chocolate in "hot cups" with lids (and coffee for my wife) for us to enjoy after we left the restaurant.

I imagine if you walked up to the buffet with a cooler, pulled out your Glad wrap, and started packing up food for the rest of the day...you'd probably get in trouble! :D

BluewaterBrad
06-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Wow............Forbidden Fruit!!:mickey:

yjgirl32
06-04-2009, 07:11 PM
When we paid for our desserts and didn't eat them we were allowed to take that back too- I don't consider it stealing- again I would only take a piece of fruit for each member- not a cooler full. Common sense. Great tips.

Arielfan98
06-04-2009, 07:17 PM

I don't think it's really considered stealing. If the fruit is included in yuor meal, then why not take a little extra for your next meal or snack? It's not like you didn't pay to have the fruit.

Besides, in previous posts people have said that the waiters encourage people to take the fruit.
Anyway, knowing Disney I think they would stock new fruit for the next day, so why not take today's "leftover food?" I wouldn't categorize taking fruit from the buffet as stealing. Come on people. Disney has tons of fruit from their food warehouse and they have tons of money, I don't think they'll go bankrupt from people taking extra fruit along with them.

Boost
06-04-2009, 07:50 PM
KAJUNKING, let me offer some advice of my own......

GET REAL!!!!!!!! Are you kidding????!!!!???? Stealing would be sneaking into a buffet, taking an item and leaving with it. If you PAY for a buffet and especially if you have KIDS who don't eat breakfast but who get on the monorail or the bus or in line for an attraction ten minutes after the rest of the family has paid over $100 for a character breakfast and the child/children say, "Mommy/Daddy, I'm hungry...", and you have an apple, orange or banana in your backpack from the buffet THAT YOU PAID FOR LESS THAN AN HOUR AGO....THAT IS NOT STEALING!!!!!

Again, ARE YOU KIDDING?????!!!!!!??????

tcswife
06-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Alright!!! well enough about stealing a banana from an over-priced buffet, let's get back to the tricks and tips!!!

Melanie
06-05-2009, 03:12 AM
Alright!!! well enough about stealing a banana from an over-priced buffet, let's get back to the tricks and tips!!!

Moderator Alert!

Let's do indeed get back to tips and tricks for a better Disney vacation. The OP wasn't encouraging stealing, just following a CMs advice.

Let's move on.....

iheartdisney
06-05-2009, 08:59 AM

We were actually told by our server to do this. But we couldn't. Like you said, it felt like stealing.

(Oops! Just read the Moderator alert after I posted. But just wanted to share this info since it was the server who encouraged us to take the fruit.)

BedknobsandBroomsticks
06-05-2009, 09:35 AM
The side tangent of this thread reminds me of the "great mug debate" of several years ago. Anyhoo.

Tips from me
1. bring strips of velcro (you can get them from a sewing store or I got mine at Walmart).
You can attach many bags to your Disney or home stroller and they really come in handy keeping things together. Again they are light and fit in a backpack/fannypack easily.

2. I recommend moleskin and bandaids. Bandaids are fine for a cut but we all know how bad the blisters can get at Disney. Moleskin stays put and doesn't come off even in water and you can apply it to the soles of your feet in case of corns, callouses or blisters there. Find in foot section at you pharmacy.

3. Take along children's pain medication (Motrin, Tylenol) to parks along with your own emergency headache pills. A long day in the sun can give anyone a headache and a dose in the late afternoon can really help to extend your day.

4. Take along some ziploc bags of various sizes. and a washcloth. You can wet the cloth and use it to cool down hot little ones and yourself and then stash in baggie for later. Also, put leftovers (you paid for) in them because the container the restaurants give you are often too big to lug around the park. Candy bags rig apart, then you have somewhere to put the candy.

Can't thinks of any others right now. Have a Disney Day!:mickey:

twinboyz
06-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Great tips..Thanks!:thumbsup:

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-05-2009, 01:10 PM
A tip relating to ponchos.....

Wear your poncho when riding Kali River Rapids and you can stay pretty dry. Unless you are wanting to get soaked. We usually make ADRs at a signature restaurant the day we go to AK so we don't want to look like wet rats when we go to dinner and this is a good way to avoid that.

VolMickey
06-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Wow............Forbidden Fruit!!:mickey:

Giggity, giggity, giggity :D

Daddy Mouse
06-06-2009, 12:50 PM
1. Moleskin
2. Snacks Powerbars, dried fruits, etc... to eat while waiting in line.
3. Misting fans
4. Hand towels, for those of us that sweat like horses.
5. Water bottles with a wide mouth
6. Wet naps
7. You are not Atilla the Hun. You do not need to conquer the world
8. Be Kind, Cool, and Considerate. It makes a trip enjoyable
9. Good worn shoes
10. Drink plenty of water

beksy
06-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Thanks for all the great tips! I have a list of tips going that I added to. :thumbsup:

Tigger&Stitch
06-07-2009, 01:07 AM
I Hope these help. They worked out Great for me and My Family of 5!!

:thumbsup:

Back-Pack cooler - I purchased a Back-pack Cooler at Bed Bath and Beyond ($25-) and filled it with Drinks and snacks to save $. I used the Ice Machine at the Hotel to fill it. Well worth it!!

Pack Bottles of water, soda, juice and snacks - Bring and extra suitcase packed with Bottles of water, soda, juice and snacks for the trip. (you can also purchase these items at Wal-mart near Disney if you are Driving) The suitcase can be used to store souvenirs’ for the return trip home.

Drink Ice Water – Bottled Water you have to pay for!! If you get counter service meals, or dine at the café’s at the resorts, cups of ice water are FREEEE!!.
:secret:

Wait for a Parade to start for certain Rides – We did most of the parks twice, so we would wait for the parade’s to start, the lines would get much shorter, and we would jump on rides with minimal to no wait. Watch the parade, the second time around.

Bring your own Stroller - For my 5 year Old (yes 5) we purchased a cheap stroller for $40 instead of renting one for the week at $135. Even though he is 5, it made getting around the Park much easier and faster.

FAST PASS – We Fast Passed the most popular ride first once we entered the park

“Indoor” attractions – A Great way to get out of the Heat!! I recommend Mickey’s Philharmagic!! The Bset 3-D show I ever seen!!

Utilize the Hotel / Pool – DON’T Go to the Theme Parks on the Weekends! It is much too crowded. Stay at the pool, participate in the poolside fun the resort staff tends to do, and go to the parks during the week. Rent Bikes, Mickey boats, Etc..Pony Rides at the Fort wilderness was nice with the Kids.

GO to at least 1 nice Dinner – Remember it is your vacation too. Have at least one nice dinner during your trip. It makes for a much more pleasurable experience.
I HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!

2009 - Wilderness Lodge
2009 - Pop Century
2008 - Polynesian

I would suggest instead of bottles of water, getting ONE reusable bottle - perhaps the Brita one, which comes with its own filter - and filling it up througout your trip. Quite a bit healthier than soda. You can even add ice to it! Save plastic, save the earth, and you can stay away from Wal Mart too.

If you plan to save any paper items from the trip (drawings from Art of Disney, birthday/anniversary menus or napkins), bring a small postal tube so you can keep them rolled up and safe.

nicster
06-07-2009, 01:45 AM
The tube thing is a new one for me, thanks!

EPCOT84
06-07-2009, 02:09 AM
1. Bring powdered drinks in single servings designed for reusable water bottles, like Crystal Light or Hawaiian Punch. They take up little space.

2. Japan pavillion in Epcot had powdered green tea, which can be poured into your water bottle. It made for a delish drink on a hot day .

3. Pick up an inexpensive water bottle lanyard at one of the popcorn carts. Wrap it over your shoulder or whatever way you wish to keep the bottle out of the way (unlike the belt clip ons) and they make a great souvenir too!

Melanie
06-07-2009, 07:15 AM
1. Moleskin

Perfect! Never go on a trip without it.

Posterchild
06-07-2009, 08:13 AM
This is an awfully long thread and its still missing the #1 Tip of all time!

#1 Tip of All Time - Get there at park opening! You will get to enjoy the park with less crowds, no matter what time of year it is, and perhaps catch an opening show.

It also enables you to avoid some heat, nap with toddlers, or once they grow, enjoy frosted barley pop poolside like I do. :beer:

Usually we are able to "significantly complete" the parks before 1-2PM, and even sometimes earlier. Then you can wave to all the lazy "I am on vacation, I am sleeping in til' 1030 and stopping at Waffle House" people on your way out. :-).

casey@bat
06-07-2009, 08:29 AM

#1 Tip of All Time - Get there at park opening! You will get to enjoy the park with less crowds, no matter what time of year it is, and perhaps catch an opening show.

It also enables you to avoid some heat, nap with toddlers, or once they grow, enjoy frosted barley pop poolside like I do. :beer:

Usually we are able to "significantly complete" the parks before 1-2PM, and even sometimes earlier. Then you can wave to all the lazy "I am on vacation, I am sleeping in til' 1030 and stopping at Waffle House" people on your way out. :-).

I can't agree more!

We are taking our lunches on 3 days this trip. We will see how it goes.

Bring zipper sandwich baggies to put your cell phone/camera in on wet rides

Write your cell phone number on your kid's arm with a permanent marker each day.

Point out who the cast members are to your kid in case they get lost.

Buy cheap Disney stuff from Target, Walmart, etc. before you go and give it to your kids when they ask for the expensive Disney light up spinning things, etc.

I just had to share what came to my mind about stealing fruit. To quote from the movie Aladin: (It's when he is singing the song "One Jump" I think- and he grabs an apple from a cart and eats it. The men are chasing him) Aladin-"Just a little snack guys.." Other guys-"Rip him open take it back guys!"

VolMickey
06-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Bring zipper sandwich baggies to put your cell phone/camera in on wet rides

+1. This is good advice. I'd add do this also.
We had a bottle of water leak inside a backpack and it ruined our camera once. Nothing to do with a ride, but it sure messed up the memories for the photo album. The camera place on Main Street in MK couldn't do anyting with it and we wound up spending oodles on throw-away cameras. OOOF!

Boost
06-07-2009, 12:02 PM
It would be great if more folks simply brought kindness and patience with them on their vacations....

DeniseMB
06-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Purex Complete 3 in 1 laundry sheets. :mickey:

iheartdisney
06-07-2009, 02:20 PM

This truly is the #1 Tip of all time! After countless trips with other relatives that we'd have to wait for each morning I have only been able to make it to park opening once. Until this trip! It was just the 5 of us (heaven!) for the first time ever! No other friends or family to slow us down. And in our 8 days we made it to park opening 7 times! Of course, my teenage daughter was ready to kill me when she'd realize we were standing around waiting for the park to open but on Memorial Day when we had visited 10 attractions in 3.5 hours she quickly forgave me. You can get so much done when you get there early!

It would be great if more folks simply brought kindness and patience with them on their vacations....

I couldn't agree more!

iheartdisney
06-07-2009, 02:23 PM

Wow! I had never heard of this product but just checked it out online. Amazing! Thanks for the tip!

KAT1811
06-07-2009, 02:48 PM

I just found out about these and am SO excited. I collect Tide and Downy single use packets on every trip to Target and store them away for our next WDW vacation. I am always afraid they are going to break during transport and make a huge mess. Now with the new Purex sheets no more worries (Man do I sound like a commercial! LOL!)

For us one of the best organizational tip we have is to pack a clear over the door shoe hanger to store all the bathroom essentials in. We hang ours over the door and it frees up TONS of counter space! SO much easier!

Bring a stroller rain cover specifically made for your type of stroller. Covering the stroller with ponchos when it rains always makes a mess but the rain cover, covers the stroller completely and nothing gets wet. Plus it folds up small.