PDA

View Full Version : train or no train?

last real pirate
06-03-2009, 04:25 PM
we are going in dec. and my family wants to ride the tain around magic kingdom. none of us have ridden it before and was wondering how long the ride was and if it was worth it. :train:

JRocker
06-03-2009, 04:50 PM
I've never really timed it myself, I've just always welcomed the opportunity to sit down for a while.
We ride it at least once, every trip. It's a nice way to relax, well worth it in my opinion. Also, if you stuck on main street during a parade, the train is a quicker way to get around it. ;)

Operator
06-03-2009, 04:56 PM
I agree, sometime it's nice to get off your feet. I like seeing the park from different vantage points. Certainly not a thrill ride, but kind of relaxing.

Maleficent_vf
06-03-2009, 05:04 PM
I think the full circuit is about a 20 minute ride. There are three stations around it, so you could just ride a portion of it. There are stops at Main Street, Adventureland and Mickey's Toon Town Fair - you can get on/off at any of them. It's a must do whenever we go for two reasons - DF is a train fanatic and it's 20 minutes off your feet. :thumbsup:

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-03-2009, 05:41 PM
We enjoy the train.

It takes about 20 minutes to go a round-trip, and there are some cute things to see along the way. It is a nice break from walking around the park, while still feeling like you're "doing something".

I wouldn't rush to do it, but if you have the time :)

VolMickey
06-03-2009, 06:11 PM
We rode it for the first time in years and years, just last Summer. Love it. We sat near the front and had a great experience talking to the engineer. I'd love to do the Disney train tour one trip.

Giggy
06-03-2009, 06:31 PM
The train is a must ride for us! Primarily we use it as a way to get about the parks but I enjoy the ride, the scenery, the commentary. The first thing we have done in each visit is take the train to Mickey's Toontown Fair to go meet Mickey and friends.

I may be sentimental about this one as it's the first ride I ever went on, however Walt Disney loved his trains. As said it takes 20 minutes to do a whole trip around the park and is a great ride in its own right. However it's also a brilliant way to get to different areas in the park. You also get a sneak peak at a scene from Splash Mountain. Also some of the scenes you pass are purpose built and I think only visable from the train, such as the Indian camp.

:train:

KAJUNKING
06-03-2009, 07:41 PM
we really enjoy the train and like the tta its a great place to take a break and enjoy the ride

DANAM
06-03-2009, 07:51 PM
My kids really enjoy the train. We haven't gone all the way around though. We normally go from Frontierland to toon town. Although if you rent Disney strollers I wouldn't suggest doing that. We had a hard time getting a replacement. Took over and hour.

Live4WDW
06-03-2009, 07:58 PM
:mickey: Oh yea!! The train is a must. I had the pleasure to ride it as a young boy in the early 70's. Very few of those trains exist out in the real world, especially where you can ride them. I love to hear the whistles from the trains when I get to MK:train: :mickey: All Aboard, The Walt Disney World Express.:D

WDWFRK
06-03-2009, 08:37 PM
We love riding the train--it's very relaxing and a nice way to criss-cross the park! :mickey:

last real pirate
06-04-2009, 06:24 AM
The train is a must ride for us! Primarily we use it as a way to get about the parks but I enjoy the ride, the scenery, the commentary. The first thing we have done in each visit is take the train to Mickey's Toontown Fair to go meet Mickey and friends.

I may be sentimental about this one as it's the first ride I ever went on, however Walt Disney loved his trains. As said it takes 20 minutes to do a whole trip around the park and is a great ride in its own right. However it's also a brilliant way to get to different areas in the park. You also get a sneak peak at a scene from Splash Mountain. Also some of the scenes you pass are purpose built and I think only visable from the train, such as the Indian camp.

is this the same indain camp you see on the steam boat ride? i remember at some point you can see the train from the boat.

Giggy
06-04-2009, 07:07 AM
I'm not sure, it might be but I don't remember that Indian camp being close to water. It seems like it's a similar place though as that camp is between Frontierland and Mickey's Toontown Fair on the line, so it could be by Liberty Square I guess.

Maybe they are the same place and it was just done cleverly and i didn't notice. They may be completely seperate though, I'm not sure.

Hull-onian
06-04-2009, 07:14 AM
Ride the train. You will enjoy it!! It is a must do for us everytime we go.:train:

BMan62
06-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Ride the train!! You get to see some things that are only visible on that ride and others that you get a different perspective of - like BTMRR.

We have one thing that I would like to do that I haven't done before and that is ride the Liberty Belle. I think that would be a different perspective on the park as well.

Whatever you do, ENJOY!!!

SFD998
06-04-2009, 08:45 AM
Like many of the PP's we always try to get on it at least once. The time off your feet is nice, but so is the different perspective of the park. We do try and ride it all the way around, but we always use it to get from Frontier Land to Mickey's Toon Town Fair if nothing else.

mudpuppysmom
06-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Just to add to what everyone else has said.....we too ride the train each trip. DS#1 is a fanatic about trains and we enjoy a little time off our feet as well!

I will say that if you want, and the conductor is willing you can ask to be guest conductor! They put you in the back and when they are ready to pull out the child says "ALL ABOARD!" and can ride in the back with the conductor along the way -- it's a neat thing and just tickles the kids pink! DS has even gotten to push some of the buttons they have back there, but I can't remember exactly what they do -- I think one starts the historical speil they do along the way.

Is it the best use of time? Only you can be the judge of what is the best use of YOUR time....is it a waste of time -- again, only you can judge that one. Will it make your kids' day? More than likely!:D

Stu29573
06-04-2009, 09:33 AM
I always ride the train, but I only started riding the Liberty Belle a couple of trips ago. I think both are wonderful, relaxing experiences that I wouldn't miss. Even though they're not "E Ticket," they certainly add quite a bit to the overall satisfaction of being in the Magic Kingdom!:mickey:

RBrooksC
06-04-2009, 11:43 AM
I like trains so I try to ride it but it also helps if you want to get from one side of the park to the other. I rode Splash Mountain and I wanted to ride Space Mountain. It was our last day there, we had walked a lot and my feet hurt, so we hopped on the train and rode it to the Toontown/Tomorrowland Station and it was a short walk to the ride. We then rode it to the Main Gate to leave. It was relaxing and allowed my feet to rest.

SFTrny
06-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Definitely ride the train.

Imagineer1981
06-04-2009, 12:18 PM
The train can be alot of fun. We probably do it every other trip. Nice break and fun to see the little surprises like Splash Mountain

jszczur5
06-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Riding the train is a must for us, several times every trip. We usually just hop on to it when we see it is loading at the front gates or by Splash. It's kind of out of your way to board in ToonTown.
It's a nice chance to get off your feet, catch a breeze, and listen to the folksy recording. For us, it is an attraction, in and of itself. Love the TTA too for the same reason.

laprana
06-10-2009, 09:47 AM
I agree with everyone - you should definitely ride the train at least once! It's nothing too exciting or thrilling, but it's a nice ride.

is this the same indain camp you see on the steam boat ride? i remember at some point you can see the train from the boat.

You do see the same Indian camp from the train as you see from the boat. You just see the other side of it! There are a few things you can see from the train that you can't see from the boat, and vice versa.

Charlee
06-10-2009, 11:33 AM
We always ride the train at least once, as its nice to get some time off your feet and view the park from a different perspective.

I'd recommend setting aside the time for it. Plus you don't have to do the full circuit and it is a much easier way to get to Mickey's Toon Town Fair than walking!

DisneyDoug2
06-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Ride the train! We ride it a few times each trip! It is a nice way to get from the front of the park over to Adventure land quickly without having to fight the crowds or from Toon Town at the end of the day.

PrincessJadesMom
06-10-2009, 08:25 PM
We spend a lot of our Disney time at the Magic Kingdom and my daughter always wants to ride Splash Mountain first, so we hop on the train at the front of the park at it takes us right to Splash Mountain. It saves a whole lot of walking!:mickey:

grwoolf
06-10-2009, 08:45 PM
We always ride the train a couple times during our stay. It's a great relaxing trip. Love the adventureland music on the train and the sights.

mainemajor
06-10-2009, 09:00 PM
We always take the train at least part way around. Like others have said it is relaxing time off your feet. It is cool to see MK from a different perspective.

Genie1953
06-10-2009, 10:12 PM
The train is the first thing we ride...and then like others have said we also use it to get around when we are tired or the crowds are heavy. Makes moving around the park much easier and more enjoyable.

:thumbsup: :mickey: :thumbsup:

brownie
06-11-2009, 07:29 AM
I have never ridden the Walt Disney World railroad, but I would like to. We didn't get around to riding the train at Disneyland either, and we should have.

PrettyMinnie
06-11-2009, 07:54 AM
I must agree with most of the other posters, the train is great to take a breather. We were there in May when it was hot, sticky and crowded and the train was in the shade with a nice breeze. Plus it is classic Disney!

Septbride2002
06-11-2009, 10:29 AM
My daughter is big on trains so we will ride it at least once a trip - and if we time it right she can usually get a quick nap in - sometimes we take it around the park twice ;) We also love the People Mover for the same reason.

~Amanda

DisneyMiMi
06-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Like others, I always enjoy the time to sit and relax a bit. But the best part to me is when, at the end of the day you're tired; it is nice to grab the train to take you around to the front of the park. We also ride it when we first get there to take us to Frontierland. You sort of miss the "shopping" crowd on Main Street by doing this.

mickeys_princess_mom
06-11-2009, 10:44 AM
We enjoy the train.

It takes about 20 minutes to go a round-trip, and there are some cute things to see along the way. It is a nice break from walking around the park, while still feeling like you're "doing something".

I wouldn't rush to do it, but if you have the time :)

Hello, dear! :mickey: I agree w/ this post. Enjoyable, restful, and a good way to cover ground w/out walking. I like what one poster said about Walt loving the trains--enough reason right there. I think your DW's folks would definitely enjoy it, so climb aboard! I'd suggest getting on and off in Frontierland or Toontown, though. The station up front can get pretty crowded, and I found that to be a little claustrophic when we were boarding...
:wave:

princessimagineer
06-11-2009, 11:15 AM
i LOVE the train. i consider it more of a calm means of transportation than a ride though, which is why ive never compared it to Lady Liberty. more of an exclusive MK Monorail, but not so modern looking.

i remember one trip my mom planned that we were all getting to MK early, we were gunna be the first people on the train that morning, we would get right off at frontier land, and then be of the first to get on SM for that glorious family picture.

i have some great disney memories on that train, and like past posters said- Walt LOVED trains.

beksy
06-11-2009, 11:51 AM
We try to ride the train all the way around once a trip (more if we just need a break and it is closer than TTA). Then we use it to get to other parts of the park. It gives the feet a rest and we aren't battling crowds. :mickey:

Goofy4TheWorld
06-11-2009, 12:45 PM
An idea I picked up here on Intercot is that if you have a child (or adult) who is a little apprehensive about riding Splash Mountain, riding the train (which goes right through the middle of Splash Mountain) is a great way to let someone see the fun part of Splash Mountain (minus the drop:D) and convince them to ride it!

PlutoPlanet
06-11-2009, 12:47 PM
While the train is not one of my top 5 attractions in MK, we do it every year.
Ya gotta do it.

bruin1344
06-11-2009, 01:09 PM
The train is nice. Its is relaxing and shows some interesting stuff you dont normally see walking around the MK. I will go on it if I have time to spare. Also, during a parade if I am trapped in frontierland or adventureland, I will take the train to other areas of the park.

FenwayGirl
06-11-2009, 03:31 PM
We ususally take the train to Frontierland station first thing in the morning so we can ride Splash Mt and grab fast passes for Thunder Mt...ususally not crowded at that time of day.

coneygoil
07-30-2009, 04:34 PM
*sings* "Rolling, rolling, on the express! Rolling on the Walt Disney World express!" I miss that song. :train:

sorcerer fan
07-31-2009, 10:14 AM
a little known fact is that in the late 70's there was a train in fort wilderness too, that went all around the campground, we used to ride both trains when we went :thumbsup:

GrmGrninGost
07-31-2009, 01:56 PM
For my family the train is a must! It is the one ride I would consider postponing a vacation for if it were not running. For us, it's all about the nostalgia. The sights, the smells, the sounds and knowing what a huge train fan Walt Disney himself was! I don't consider the WDW vacation started until I hear the train whistle at the MK! :train:

vws_and_disney
08-04-2009, 03:11 PM
its very relaxing and the indian village is pretty neat.

TheTexasKid
10-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Oh, yes! At least it is for our family.

This is Disneyland, but when we first visited Disneyland over forty years ago, our first ride was the train around the park. And as a family tradition, it has been the first ride ever since.

This also applies to the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland Paris.

Beyond being our family tradition, it offers a good overview of the theme parki.

And as everyone else has said, the ride lasts about twenty minutes.

Mrs Bus Driver
10-05-2009, 08:54 PM
While I enjoy the train at WDW nothing beats the one at DL. After all you get to go to the Grand Canyon and see dinosaurs to :mickey:
:train::waycool:

BMan62
10-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Gotta share this one....On our most recent trip, we took the train on one complete loop. At one point, somewhere near the Indian village, there are deer set up. A short distance away we came upon REAL deer on the left side on the tracks. We heard someone say "Boy! Those animatronics sure are good. They look like the real thing!"

disneydeb
10-05-2009, 10:21 PM
We are definetly riding the train this next trip. I have forgotten if it is easy to take strollers and EVC's on board. We will have an almost 3 year old and a 6 month old with us. Anyone with experience know about this?

Renfairwedding
10-05-2009, 10:21 PM

If I remember correctly from the Steam Train Tour. Walt LOVED his trains and it was a train that really started all that we have come to love in Disney.

The Walt Disney World RR Trains are real steam locomotives and have feel of the old time rail roads. From the hiss of the pistons, the clang of the bell to the steam whistle. I cant think of a better way to travel to frontier land and I love the magical feel of arriving in Toon Town. I look at the train as my way of traveling with Walt through his amazing world he created.

WDWRR is a must ride for me :mickey:

10-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Ride it now while you still can. At some point during the Fantasyland redo, the train will shut down for maybe as much as a year (when and total duration still not yet totally determined).

IATwinsMom
10-06-2009, 02:19 AM
This is an absolute for us! It is a classic ride. We always welcome some relaxing time on the train!:mickey: Some of our best trip pictures come from the train rides. Have a great trip!

GrmGrninGost
10-06-2009, 05:49 AM
The full circuit takes about 20 minutes. For me, if I knew the trains were not running it would be grounds to postpone my vacation. :train:

darthmacho
10-06-2009, 10:03 AM
This underrated classic is what WDW is all about. It provides you with a nice tour of the MK, offers an alternate way to travel across the park, and is a pleasant respite from all of that walking. Walt loved trains, so this attraction is one of the few left with a direct connection to the creator of all this magic. The railroad is truly one of the Magic Kingdom icons along with the Castle, Dumbo, Space Mountain, and Pirates of the Caribbean, among others.

So, in other words, take the train! :mickey:

afowl1017
10-06-2009, 10:26 AM
An absolute must! Our 4 year old loves trains and the entire trip is worth the smile you see on his face when he rides it! But even if you or anyone else isn't huge fans of trains the relaxing ride around the loop is worth it. Get off your feet and chill as you enjoy the Disney atmosphere!

Imagineer1981
10-06-2009, 10:38 AM
we used to skip it, but now that we have our son, we made sure to ride it. It was definitely alot of fun for our family

SFTrny
10-06-2009, 10:40 AM
I wonder if the rehab of ToonTown will change the train station in that area of the park. The train would be a great way to get to/from the new area.

Bubbie Girl
10-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Oh yeah ride the train!!! :thumbsup:Fun,relaxing,relief for the tired feet and sometimes a nice breeze!! A fun part of the Magic Kingdom experience. Enjoy

Greenlawler
10-06-2009, 12:11 PM
While I agree that the train is great. I am not one who would say it is a can't miss. I think once you have done it you can come back a few years later and enjoy the experiance fresh all over again. We ride the train probably once every five trips.

However on our trip in 2008 I was anixious to ride it because I had just read Kingdom Keepers and I had forgotten about the Indian Encampment.

SandmanGStefani24
10-06-2009, 11:01 PM
i think it's definately something you should do at least once. i love riding it, but it's not a must do for me. it's really just a nice little perk if i do. as mentioned before it's a great relaxing ride around the MK and a good way to rest or get some shade, but for me it was great to see all the different views of the park.

my advice, take a lap around MK!

whitney37354
10-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Ride it now while you still can. At some point during the Fantasyland redo, the train will shut down for maybe as much as a year (when and total duration still not yet totally determined).

Oh Dear....

My DH's & DD's first trip is June '10 and I'd be disappointed if they missed the train. However, I don't remember if I rode it on my only trip in '86!

PeterPan
10-08-2009, 09:44 AM
The orginal question was "Is it WORTH it." I simply do not understand this question! Do you mean is it worth your TIME? Well, I hope you have been convinced by the Intercotters that it is certainly worth your time. Did anyone mention that the reason there is any Disney Theme Park world-wide is because of Walt's love of the Train? He had a small steam train in his back yard at his house in Hollywood. He was determined to build a "charming little park" across from the Disney studio that would feature a real steam train. As a teen, he worked on a train selling refreshments. I never miss the train, and of course I never fail to think of Walt and how much he loved it.

Also, did anyone know that the train at Tokoyo Disneyland does NOT go all the way around the park? It does some odd loop around Frontierland. The reason for this had to do with some strange Japanese law about transportation systems.

disneyworld55925592
10-08-2009, 10:30 AM
We enjoy it we generally go to fontier land and ride the rides, then hop on the train their take it over to toontown then go to tommorowland rather then walking across the park!

MickeyMousse
10-08-2009, 10:35 AM
I think it's worth the wait and time it takes for the ride itself. Figure it's a good 20 minutes all the way around and, as many people have posted, the train is a great way to catch a break and relax. We always try to make our way over to it after doing the Speedway and/or Tea Cups. That and the TTA are our favorite places to just rest.

andismom
10-08-2009, 11:31 AM
I agree, ride the train. It is a great way to rest your feet. Its one of those things we have to do once on every trip.