PDA

View Full Version : What's going on in the MK?

LarryBoy
06-03-2009, 10:56 AM
I just saw some current pictures of the MK on another site and there are scrims and or construction walls up at the Frontierland Train Station, the Diamond Horseshoe, The Hall of Presidents, The Christmas Shop, It's a Small World, and Pinocchio's Village Haus. Isn't this the start of the busy summer season? Why is there so much work going on? What's the deal? These things are just ugly, I hope it's all gone when we visit in late July.

JabberJaws
06-03-2009, 11:03 AM
I am just going to guess they are cleaning things up in prep for the summer season. I know they are adding the Obama figure to HoP, to reopen on July 1, so that probably explains the work going on there.

As far as the other items I can just assume it is general rehab work.

estein80
06-03-2009, 11:37 AM
I know that when I was there in the beginning of May they had the boards up in front of Small World, but the ride was still open. It as actually kind of nice as it kept the sun out of the queue. I don't know about the others, except for HoP, but the PP answered that.

Imagineer1981
06-03-2009, 12:13 PM
I would hope its just cosmetic repairs

LarryBoy
06-03-2009, 03:30 PM
I've been going for decades though, and I've never seen this many places all getting cosmetic repairs at the same time. Didn't they used to do exterior work like painting at night when the park is closed?

VolMickey
06-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Good questions, all. Hmmm.

KAJUNKING
06-03-2009, 07:18 PM
i read on touring plans dot com that they are doing some maintainence on the facades of the main street buildings

laprana
06-05-2009, 12:57 PM
I've been going for decades though, and I've never seen this many places all getting cosmetic repairs at the same time.

I agree! We were there from May 24 to June 4 and noticed many more construction walls and facades in MK than usual! There were several on the shops on Main Street, as well as the others mentioned by the OP. I heard a lot of people say things like, "There sure is a lot of work going on here," while we were in the MK.

GoofyforFun
06-05-2009, 07:32 PM
maybe its to save money?? No overtime pay or second shift ????????:confused:

crltkcagle
06-05-2009, 08:50 PM
we were there during the same time period and also noticed alot of the construction walls.

I agree! We were there from May 24 to June 4 and noticed many more construction walls and facades in MK than usual! There were several on the shops on Main Street, as well as the others mentioned by the OP. I heard a lot of people say things like, "There sure is a lot of work going on here," while we were in the MK.

LarryBoy
06-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Is anybody just back or there now? How does the MK look? Are they repainting the whole place? Is it just me or is this tacky?

nicster
06-06-2009, 03:27 PM
I sure hope it is done by the end of September! 109 Days to go:mickey:

LarryBoy
06-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Was anybody at the MK this week? How did it look? Have any of these scrims come down yet?

ransam
06-13-2009, 09:45 PM
aren't they building a resturant there in frontierland?

mickey&missy
06-14-2009, 08:27 AM
I saw pictures too on another site. I thought there were a lot of construction facades up.

The construction at HP is more then just the addition of Obama. They've been working at HP for months! When we were in WDW in January HP was down and when DH and I were in WDW in March was down with the facade up, not just the closed for maintance sign. DH and I took the Key to the Kingdowm Tour in March and our said if all they were doing was just adding Obama it would be down for a day, not 7 months.

There's construction in Adventureland for the addition of the Pirate makeover place (can't think of the name of it) and I think their putting in a new area for the Capt Jack tutorial.

I don't think we should be overly critical of the construction or the facades.

If we went to WDW and the paint was looking faded or the buildings were starting to fall apart we'd be critical of that, right?

The maintance has to be done, I think we should be happy that their still doing it and not delaying because of $$.

Remember, the signs always say "for your future enjoyment" ;)

LarryBoy
06-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Can anybody just back update us on all of the construction facades, scrims, up in the MK? Are they still up, or are they starting to go away?

DizneyRox
06-22-2009, 02:48 PM
I've been going for decades though, and I've never seen this many places all getting cosmetic repairs at the same time. Didn't they used to do exterior work like painting at night when the park is closed?
As someone else mentioned, cosmetic upgrades used to be done at night, but to save cash there's a lot more going on during the day than ever before. That's what happens when you turn Main Street into Wall Street.

chrisb26
06-22-2009, 03:07 PM
There are still two up on Main Street and then the HOP one is finally down and the building looks great not sure how different but it was up so long almost forgot what the building looked like. The Christmas shop one is still there and as of last week Small world and Pinocchio was still up as well.

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
06-22-2009, 03:18 PM
All of the facades that were mentioned in this thread were still up as of Saturday, 6/20.2009.

In fact, one thing happened that I've NEVER experienced at Disney. There was quite loud construction work (circular saws, hammering, foremen giving instructions, etc) at HOP throughout the day, especially after 7pm and around Wishes. It kind of spoils the mood of Spectromagic or Wishes if you're sitting near HOP and hear a buzzsaw going during the music.

LarryBoy
06-22-2009, 03:54 PM
As someone else mentioned, cosmetic upgrades used to be done at night, but to save cash there's a lot more going on during the day than ever before. That's what happens when you turn Main Street into Wall Street.

That's what I thought too.

In fact, one thing happened that I've NEVER experienced at Disney. There was quite loud construction work (circular saws, hammering, foremen giving instructions, etc) at HOP throughout the day, especially after 7pm and around Wishes. It kind of spoils the mood of Spectromagic or Wishes if you're sitting near HOP and hear a buzzsaw going during the music.

This is just wrong. I'm sorry, but that just takes away from the magic. They must be really behind schedule, because I've never heard of that unless it a major project, like building a mountain.

Ian
06-22-2009, 04:09 PM
I've been going for decades though, and I've never seen this many places all getting cosmetic repairs at the same time. Didn't they used to do exterior work like painting at night when the park is closed?Yes. They did.

maybe its to save money?? No overtime pay or second shift ????????:confused:Correct. That's my understanding ... night work requires overtime or shift differential, so to save the cash they just do the work during the days now.

Is anybody just back or there now? How does the MK look? Are they repainting the whole place? Is it just me or is this tacky?It's not you. I find it extremely annoying and "bad show" to be walking through the Magic Kingdom and have to listen to hammers, drills, and saws all day long.

jcvalenti
06-22-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm at the parks now and was at MK this morning ... and I agree - it had more "under construction" barricades than I've ever seen ... especially for a Mid-June.

They had the Hall of Champions on Main Street, Hall of Presidents, Tomorrowland Transit, Space Mountain, Pecos Bills, and a huge section of Adventureland all blocked off today.

It was very distracting, and I clearly think it's a result of cost savings / reduced staff.

AdventurerKim
06-23-2009, 09:54 PM
We were there last week and noticed all the facade work in MK especially, but it seemed like everywhere we turned work was being done. It did not detract from our vacation one bit.