PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading tickets

Disney_Barbie
06-03-2009, 08:59 AM
Ticket question : We have totally un-used 10-day park hoppers (current price $287 each) that we might want to upgrade to Premium Annual Passes (current price $599). But I have some questions on the matter...
1) Is ticket upgrading a hard/fast rule, or is it only possible if we get a nice CM who's willing to pull a string for us?
2) How do we do this, can we go right up to a ticket window & turn in our tickets and pay the difference (do we need anything else, such as the receipt for purchasuing the tickets)
3) Is there any fee to upgrade the tickest, or just the cost of the differnce between the two ?(IE - in this case would it just be the $312 differnce per ticket that we would end up paying)
4) Lastly, (sorry this question is slightly paranoid, but I do like to cover all my bases) since we're upgradeing to APs, will this AT ALL effect the activation date for the APs (like I said, we never used the 10-day hoppers so I doubt it will be an issue, but wanted to just check)
THANKS ALL!

LoriSan
06-03-2009, 09:15 AM
1- you can upgrade, it's allowed. However, I "think"that you get the value of the ticket from time of purchase, not today's value. Someone might correct me on that.
2- go to Guest Services
3- no fee, just the difference
4- I don't think so

DizneyRox
06-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Use the 10 day ticket first, and then upgrade it to an AP.

As mentioned, if you upgrade it now, it's the original purchase price of the ticket, NOT current value, unless they are the same. If you use the ticket for a day, you'll pay the difference between the two.

The date for the AP will be the first day you used the ticket, which is not a problem normally.

Imagineer1981
06-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Use the 10 day ticket first, and then upgrade it to an AP.

As mentioned, if you upgrade it now, it's the original purchase price of the ticket, NOT current value, unless they are the same. If you use the ticket for a day, you'll pay the difference between the two.

The date for the AP will be the first day you used the ticket, which is not a problem normally.

Thats kinda dumb too though, I mean in reality, all I'd have to do is take (for example) a 5 year old unused park hopper, walk in the turnstiles, go to guest services and then upgrade it, and I'll get the price difference today instead of the original purchase price all because I went through the gate and did it inside instead of doing outside at the ticket window...crazy

DizneyRox
06-03-2009, 01:08 PM
... dumb ... crazy
You said it not me... :D

Disney_Barbie
06-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Wow, that's crazy. I guess we'll do the 'use the ticket' thing & then upgrade. Sorry, I might have taken someone's statement too literal, but do we honestly updgrade INSIDE the park, or you mean, just go to our first park on the first day, enjoy the fun & on our way out (or whatever do the upgrade)?

Is there anyway of calling or anything to find out the price the ticket was purchased for??? Thus the current unused trade in value?

Imagineer1981
06-04-2009, 12:29 PM
You said it not me... :D

he he:mickey:

DizneyRox
06-04-2009, 12:47 PM
I know older tickets used to have the purchase price on the back along with the codes. Newer tickets might just be coded into the magnetic strip. Not sure if there's a way to check at that point.

Yes, there is a guest relations inside the park as well as outside each park. You can upgrade at either.

wdwnomad
06-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Definetly use your ticket prior to upgrading. As been said you get the value of the ticket today is you used it first. It is crazy but that is the way it works.

Another piece of advice is to ask about what you want to do before doing it. If the CM knows what they are talking about then go forward with the transaction. If they don't say thanks and try another time. You can keep using the MYW ticket until you upgrade to the PAP or want to go to the water park or Disneyquest. Whichever comes first. CM's knowledge can vary widly and you might end up with different answers. I upgraded MYW tickets last year to AP's and some of the CM's really messed things up.

Go with the knowledge when your AP expiration date will be (one year from the first time the ticket was used) and how much the upgrade will cost. A 10 day MYW PH for adults is $305.66 and a PAP for adults is $637.94. The upgrade cost should be around $332.28.

tcswife
06-05-2009, 10:05 AM
:listen:Do not wait until after you have you have used your last of the 10 days!! You can not upgrade it after you have used the last day! I know this because we just went through this dilemma a couple of weeks ago whwn we upgraded our 10 day PH to AP's!
We were told on the phone before we went to do this before we ever used the tickets. So, the first thing we did was go to the Ticket and Transportation Center where a sweet sweet lady told us we should wait until the end for two reasons!

1. Because we had the dining plan, if they altered our tickets before our last day it would cancel out all of our dining credits.
2.Because if we did it on the first day it would cost us 10 days at the end of our AP's for next years use.

So on our last day.....BEFORE entering the ANIMAL KINGDOM we went to the Guest Relations window outside of the park entrance. All parks have these outside the turnstiles. Simply presented our KTTW cards and ask to upgrade to AP's, and funny thing in the end we did not loose our remaining dining credits. We got a veteran guest relations cast member that knew what he was doing!!

Hope this helps!!!:mickey:

CleveRocks
06-05-2009, 04:03 PM
:listen:Do not wait until after you have you have used your last of the 10 days!! You can not upgrade it after you have used the last day! What you are reporting, however, is not official Disney policy. Someone misinformed you. By official Disney policy, you can upgrade any MYW ticket within 14 days of the ticket's first use ... it doesn't matter whether or not any entitlements remain in the tickets. You CAN upgrade a totally spent ticket, as long as it's not more than 14 days from the first use of the ticket.

2.Because if we did it on the first day it would cost us 10 days at the end of our AP's for next years use.That CM completely misinformed you about this aspect of MYW tickets and APs. When you upgrade a MYW ticket to any form of AP (that is, when you use the value of a previously purchased ticket and apply it to the cost of an AP), the date of activation of that AP is considered to be the first day the ticket was used, NOT the day it was upgraded. If she upgraded you ticket to an AP and your AP expires one year from the day of the upgrade and not one year from the day of that ticket's first use, then you got lucky and she made a big mistake, a mistake in violation of Disney policy.

I know this to be the policy, but on top of that I want to spell out the logic behind the policy. I'm going to use fake numbers so that this can be easier to understand. Let's say you buy a 10-day ticket for $300. You use all 10 days, or perhaps 9 days, or whatever. Anyway, let's say you want to upgrade the ticket to an AP. If an AP costs $500, you will get a $300 credit towards it by upgrading your ticket ... so you spent $500 total on the AP. That AP starts its 1-year-clock running on the first day you used that ticket, the ticket you upgraded with. IMAGINE FOR A MOMENT if you could use $300 worth of tickets and then after that pay only $200 more for an AP that lasts 1 year from the day you upgraded ... it would be as if you got that 10-day ticket for free! It simply doesn't work that way ... not because it would be illogical, but simply because that's WDW's policy.

wdwnomad
06-05-2009, 10:02 PM
If you have the dining plan it is recommended that you get the ticket removed from your KTTW card. This way the dining credits won't be deactivated on the card when doing the upgrade. Sometimes this isn't a problem if you get a CM in Guest Relations who knows what they are doing. When I upgraded one of the CM's knew how to do this and it worked out fine. However, on another occassion the CM didn't know what they were doing and wiped out the cards. Luckily, we had other KTTW cards that still worked for the dining plan.

You can get the ticket removed from your card at the concierge desk at your resort. Again, though some CM's know how to do this and others say you can't do it. Just try to get one that knows how to do it.

tcswife
06-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Well I guess Disney Magic worked in our favor!! We were told by several managers and guest relations to wait until the end so that we did not waste our 10 day ticket! We upgraded our to AP's on May 25 and the actual AP has an expiration date of May 25 2010!! So looks like we did in fact get 10 days FREE....Disney Policy or not!! Seems to me if it were policy for it not to be that way that they would modify their system to correlate with their POLICY!!!

You are correct in saying that if done correctly that it does not interfere with the dining plan, because our original KTTW still had our meal entitlements on them!!!!:mickey:

wdwnomad
06-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Yeah it worked out for you in the end. The CM kept your dining plan on the KTTW card plus you get an extra days added on.

When I did my upgrades I had three totally different experiences. The first time I did it I had the ticket taken off the room by the concierge desk. Then I took it to AK Guest Services and they did the upgrade in no time. Gave me credit for the gate price and the expiration date was right. I figured that was pretty easy. The next day I tried taking another ticket to the concierge desk and getting it removed from the card. They said it can't be done. I asked if they were sure because they did it for me yesterday. The girl went to the get the manager and he said the same thing. I said thanks and went on my way. I figured I would try again if I saw the kid that did for me before (hoping that I didn't get him into trouble). Anyways, we stopped in the MK Guest Relations that day and asked them about it. She said knew about the problem but knew how to get around it. So we decided to go for it and she did the upgrade keeping the dining plan on. However, the expiration date ended up being one year from that date. Then towards the end of our trip we decided to do the kids' tickets as well. We didn't try to have them separated. We went to Epcot Guest Relations to try it. It took forever there to do the upgrade. They gave us a really high price for the upgrade. We explained what the cost should be and they figured it out. During this upgrade they wiped out the kids' cards and gave them an expiration date of one year from that date.

So that is why I said go with the knowledge that it can be done, how to do it and the how much it will cost. It might take some time but it can be done. And just have a little patience.

DizneyRox
06-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Well I guess Disney Magic worked in our favor!! We were told by several managers and guest relations to wait until the end so that we did not waste our 10 day ticket! We upgraded our to AP's on May 25 and the actual AP has an expiration date of May 25 2010!! So looks like we did in fact get 10 days FREE....Disney Policy or not!! Seems to me if it were policy for it not to be that way that they would modify their system to correlate with their POLICY!!!
Yeah, for some reason, the activation date or expiration or both has to be a manual entry field. I've lost an AP and had the expiration date be different than my original one. It was only one day, but it was different. Policy is the date of first use of whatever ticket you upgrade.