PDA

View Full Version : Runtime errors

Jeri Lynn
06-03-2009, 07:28 AM
I keep getting runtime errors popping up on my screen. Can anyone tell me what I should be doing to fix them??

bicker
06-03-2009, 08:40 AM
Generally, such errors aren't for you to fix, but rather for the webmasters to fix, or perhaps one of their sub-contractors, suppliers, advertising partners, etc. Basically, it means that someone coded some portion of the client-side software for some aspect of the web page with a bug.

Another possibility is that some (buggy) client-side code is being injected into the web page, just for you, due to some adware that you installed.

Which page (URL) are you having the errors?

Jeri Lynn
06-03-2009, 09:05 AM
These Errors seem to appear when I am accessing Facebook through the Internet Explorer.

BigRedDad
06-03-2009, 10:17 AM
That's the reason, stop using MS Internet Explorer. Switch to Firefox or Safari. Probably not the right answer, but I try to avoid MS application as much as I possibly can.

DisneyDog
06-03-2009, 12:44 PM
I had installed Firefox on 4 computers in my library. They were all brand new computers running Vista. They all came to a screeching halt. I uninstalled Firefox and they were fine. So, just beware...Firefox apparently is running all the time, even when the browser isn't open. Caused me all sorts of problems and people were complaining left and right. It's been a year without it now, and the computers are running fine and fast.

bicker
06-03-2009, 02:05 PM
That actually is not the case. I have had a few cases where Firefox has not shut down, but it generally was after a crash, and it only happened those few times. Otherwise, Firefox is about as stable as Internet Explorer. As you can well imagine, all the options each have their own advantages and disadvantages, and overall they average out to being roughly comparable to each other, within a very narrow band.

Regarding the OP's issue with Facebook, I've just checked and I don't detect any errors, so that seems to indicate that the workstation is infected with adware. I would try to access Facebook from another computer, and see if you have the same experience.

brownie
06-03-2009, 04:09 PM
I had installed Firefox on 4 computers in my library. They were all brand new computers running Vista. They all came to a screeching halt. I uninstalled Firefox and they were fine. So, just beware...Firefox apparently is running all the time, even when the browser isn't open. Caused me all sorts of problems and people were complaining left and right. It's been a year without it now, and the computers are running fine and fast.

I've been using Firefox with Vista without any problems. As far as I know, it doesn't run in the background. I have heard that it will continue to eat up RAM if you leave it open, especially with multiple tabs. It could have been an issue with Firefox 2; I'm using Firefox 3.

DizneyRox
06-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Yes, probably malware of some sort.

Start in safe mode, and run a few scans with both AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy. That should clear most if not all of it.

I've also had good luck with a program called Anti-Trojan Elite.

Makes sure you get them from reputable sites, malware makers have resorted to distributing infected versions of these or clones to trick people as well.

For total protection, stop using the Internet. :D