PDA

View Full Version : UPC codes on refillable mugs

JoDisney
06-02-2009, 06:53 PM
I understand from another site that Disney is going to place UPC codes on the refillable mugs. From what I understand, the code will coincide with your room reservation and when you depart the resort you will be unable to try and bring back that mug for your next visit.

PixieMagic
06-02-2009, 07:40 PM
If they did it would be AMAZING!!! I am sick of being honest and paying for a new mug each trip when I see people carrying and refilling mugs from years ago!!

faline
06-02-2009, 07:56 PM
That would be consistent with Disney's policy that mugs are only good through the length of your current stay and need to be replaced on future stays.

JPL
06-02-2009, 07:58 PM
That's all well and good if they enforce the changes some how. I am tired of the free for all they created with the mugs.

JoDisney
06-02-2009, 08:04 PM
I, too, think it is about time that all guests participate in the "length of stay policy." I especially think it so ridiculous when I see people come up to the soda machine with their cooler jugs!

deedeenmickey
06-02-2009, 08:17 PM
I too think this is a good thing but...will this be another line at WDW??? They should just be able to say something to people who are using mugs from years ago.:blush:

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-02-2009, 08:19 PM
This is a great idea! I would be all for enforcing the rule :)

Although, I have never minded buying the new mug, even when I see so many people using their own mugs or old mugs. When we were going for our 2nd trip, and 2nd time buying the EXACT same mug, DH and I joked about not buying them again. But, DD overheard us and told us in no uncertain terms that not buying new mugs would just be wrong.

So, for less than $50, I get to keep my daughter's respect, and teach her that being honest is always the right thing...well worth it.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
06-02-2009, 09:00 PM
I have always bought new mugs for each family member each year... However, as my kids are younger (1.5 and 4 at the last trip) the cups dont always work for them to drink from. What I have done is carried the newly bought mugs with me to the refill station and then filled up their sippy cups. I had people giving me dirty looks with that... But I had bought the new mugs... I just did not see why I should fill up the mug just to bring it back to a table and pour it into a sippy cup. and eventually have to clean out 2 cups. I stand by what I have done. I dont think it is cheating to buy the mug for a suvinir and fill up a cup that works easier for my family... Nor did I appreciate the dirty lookds and tsk tsk that I hear while doing so. So please... while there are MORE than enough people cheating the system... not everyone you see there with a different cup is a cheater.

DizneyRox
06-02-2009, 11:39 PM
While I think it's a great idea, I'm not sure if in practice it's going to work. It works at the wate parks because they have a different code for each day, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc. Having a million differnet check-in/check-out combinations would be a logistical nightmare. Does each cup get a seperate UPC with a lookup to reservation number (Disney which would make cups unique). Or do they print stickers that will come off, have to be replaced, etc...

All to stop some people from "stealing" free soda. Free in that Disney doesn't pay for it anyway, and free for the few that abuse the system. I don't see it working, although I'm sure the bean counters have a nice pie chart worked out with very little of the real world logistics taken into account.

BMan62
06-03-2009, 08:05 AM
Wouldn't that mean that all the resort soda fountains would have to be replaced with ones that could scan the bar code? I don't think, personal opinion only, that that type of thing would fit into the budget this year with all the cost cutting they are already doing.

AND, since they don't pay for the drink syrups, why should they care?

BTW - I am not condoning the reuse of refillable mugs on multiple trips. It is one of my pet peeves at the resorts as well! We always purchase the mugs each trip. Heck, for the $13 or so, we get our morning coffee and evening drinks for 'free!' Compared to $2.79 for a coffee in the parks and $2.50 for a 20oz bottle of soda out of a machine, the mugs pay for themselves on a short stay (3 nights) and are a bonus for longer stays.

c&d
06-03-2009, 08:47 AM
They do it at the water parks when you purchase a refillable mug. I guess it was just a matter of figuring out the bar coding to coincide with your length of stay.

I'm glad they are doing it, on our last visit there were people using refillable mugs from Dixie Landings! How could they afford to stay on property that long.? :D

LoriSan
06-03-2009, 09:06 AM
so that means that the disposable cups that you purchase would also have a bar code on them?

Charlee
06-03-2009, 10:26 AM
I do think this is a very good idea, we have seen many people over our stays at Pop with other resort mugs from Port Orleans, the Poly and CBR. Not only were these mugs not bought at Pop, the individual resort mugs no longer existed, so they were at least a few years old.

We have always bought new mugs despite ending up with double the amount of mugs that we need or want to bring home.

Last year we stayed for 21 nights at Pop and the mugs were absolutely amazing value for a length of stay that long. So good that we actually left them in the bin in the room and didn't bring them home. We had no room for them in the suitcase and they only lurk at the back of the cupboard.

For the price, the mugs are always worth it for a longer stay.

BMan62
06-03-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm glad they are doing it, on our last visit there were people using refillable mugs from Dixie Landings! How could they afford to stay on property that long.? :D

The Dixie Landings mugs are prior to 'length of stay' mugs and, I believe, have LIFETIME stamped on them somewhere.

That is another thing that Disney will have to address - old 'lifetime' mugs. I guess if they issue bar code stickers for the time frame of your visit, any mug would be OK. They could just sell the stickers rather than the mugs.

Bring your own/old mug and buy the sticker, or buy the mug w/sticker. They would make money either way and possibly lower the stock of mugs they keep on property, saving more money.

mudpuppysmom
06-03-2009, 12:32 PM
I see a problem with the buying the sticker for YOUR mug idea......not all mugs are created equal and somehow someone somewhere will complain that "I paid the same as they did and look at that gallon size mug they are using and we are just using this little 12 oz mug" it'll happen........ there's always someone somehwere who'll have something to say.

We buy new mugs when we stay on property, period.

I'd like to just buy a Poly mug when we stay at SOG, but I'm not certain that is considered cheating the system???? (since we aren't staying at a Disney resort, but we're still on property).

Disney Doll
06-03-2009, 12:41 PM
It sounds like a good idea and I'm all for enforcing the rules, but logistically I'm not sure how this will work with the self serve drink stations.

DisneyFr33k
06-04-2009, 09:51 AM
so that means that the disposable cups that you purchase would also have a bar code on them?

Good question. My question is if they don't have a way to scan before filling the mugs, how would they enforce it? When we were there last Fall, I saw multiple people with their own personal (non-Disney) mugs refilling! The cast members at POP either didn't notice or care.

It will be interesting to see what happens....