PDA

View Full Version : Youngest Age

Airblue1
06-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Hey folks. What is the youngest age would you or have you started to take your children to WDW?
Thanks

honeybear
06-02-2009, 01:23 PM
My 11 year old niece was 1 year old on her first trip, My 8 year old niece was 4 months old on her first trip. My newly born nephew will be about 4 or 5 months old on his first trip. We start them young!:D

cer
06-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Our youngest was 5 years. It was great! I would have gone as early as 4, but we did not know we could afford the trip...

People will bring all ages of little ones, it really depends on what kind of trip you want to have. What is your threshold, to where it becomes too much for you personally. What are you willing to do? Diapers, nursing, naps, bottles, baby food, strollers? It really is up to the parent/grandparent who is wanting to take the little ones.

sisterslovindisney
06-02-2009, 01:31 PM
My youngest was 2 when he went the first time. I would have taken him sooner but that was our first trip. I know some people say wait until their older because they won't remember it but I don't agree. If that is how we thought of it then why take a 1 year old to the zoo or a parade or anywhere for that matter. As long as you're prepared for the extra needs of a baby then I say enjoy disney with them at any age.

Airblue1
06-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Its funny to see your responses. When it is our kid he/she will go when they are able to fly, but my nephews parents I would wait until the child could remember due to cost. Great responses keep them coming and once again thank you!

mack daddy
06-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Our first time DD was almost four months. It was shortly after the events of 9-11 and heeding the words of our president we took the family to disneyworld. She didnt remember anything or do very much but our 4 yr old had a great time and we will be back in july for the sixth time

disneymom15
06-02-2009, 01:59 PM
We took our daughter when see was 5. She's now 19, we've lost count on how many times we've been there.

wdwfansince75
06-02-2009, 02:15 PM
In spite of my signature, we actually became Disney nuts in 71...I had just turned in my Masters Thesis at the Naval Post Grad School in Monterey, CA, and we needed a break....So DW and I took DS#1, age 6, DD#1, age 3, and DD#2, age 1 to DL...and really felt the magic....We thought then that 1 was probably the earliest....but since then, we have taken DGS#3 and DGD#3 at 4 months, and DGS #4 at 6 months....They do not really remember the trips, but we all have wonderful memories of each of those trips.

dfamasb
06-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Our twins went at 9 months and our youngest went at 6 months. We just went back in February with our twins (now 4) and our youngest (now 2) and it was easier when they were babies!

Itchy
06-02-2009, 02:39 PM
I took my grand daughter and family when she was not quite 1 and she really did not get into it very much. :baby::sleepin:

I took here again when she was 1 1/2 and it was great. To see Disney World through the eyes of a child was such a Hoot for me.

We were at Crystal Palace for dinner and when she first spied Pooh and Friends it was such a thrill for me to see her eyes light up.:pooh:

Start young and you will be forever young at Disney World.:mickey:

estein80
06-02-2009, 02:49 PM
My DD was 9 months the first time we took her into the parks. We actually had her at DTD at 3 months, but to me that doesn't really count. Her second time was at 11 months and we are planning on going back in October, she will be 15 months. (We are FL residents w/ AP's, dangerous combo.)

tdk316
06-02-2009, 03:10 PM
We're taking our kids for the first time this December - DS#1 will be 2.5 and DS#2 will be 5 months - he isn't even born yet and has a date with the Mouse! Can you tell my DH is a Disney nut?!

SNOWIE
06-02-2009, 03:23 PM
If you are taking the child for the child's sake I think about 2 is the earliest they can really appreciate it (depending on the child). If you are taking the child because you want to go, take them as early as you want the trouble. Also go if you have older children who will be missing out. If you wait for your youngest to be the right age the older ones will miss out on a lot.

Gregandmel
06-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Our older son was 6 1/2 when we took him the first time. We went with my sister in law and her kids (ages 3 and 1) and WHEW - it was a lot of work with strollers, diapers, etc... We helped out with everything of course, but even they said "Never Again" and waited until their kids were a bit older before they went back. We went again this past October and now the older son is 17 and our youngest is 8. They were perfect ages for everything. We plan on going back next year - the Disney Bug hit us for sure! For us, taking them when they were a "bit" older had more to do with the cost, and hoping they would remember a lot of it. If we lived closer, I wouldn't have hesitated to bring them as soon as we could. No right or wrong answer, just depends on the situation. Now I hope we can go back every couple of years. I definitely want to continue going while our younger one is "still young".

bwk99
06-02-2009, 03:32 PM
21 months for my son... the diapers are a bit of a hassle.. I would prefer to wait until they are out of diapers..

joonyer
06-02-2009, 04:00 PM
When we took our first trip with our boys they were 9 & 6. That was a perfect age, no strollers needed, they could ride every attraction, and they were old enough to remember that whole trip. We probably would have taken them a couple of years earlier if we could have afforded it, but I'm glad we didn't try to take them as infants or little toddlers.

brownie
06-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Our oldest was almost 3 on his first trip and our youngest was 3 on his first trip. Our youngest remembers his first trip better and had a lot more fun than our oldest did on his first trip.

My parents never took as when we were kids, so I was a lot older for my first trip.

Woozle
06-02-2009, 05:11 PM
My oldest DD was 6 the first time we took her to WDW but she had gone to DL every year 2-4 times per year since she 18 months. My youngest (now 2) will get her first trip to WDW in a week. She was also trained on Disney early, she had her first trip to DL when she was 5 weeks old.

Daddy Mouse
06-02-2009, 05:12 PM
We took DS & DD when they were going to turn 4 and 5. We were worried about our two trying to take off on their own. They were both confident and very social and trusting of people. We spent months training them to hold our hands. etc...

Tink33333
06-02-2009, 05:14 PM
My kids were 3 1/2 and almost 1 the first time we took them. My DD remembers it vividly, my DS not so much (obviously he was the almost 1 year old) but they have been going every year since and they still tell people they have grown up at WDW!

buzznwoodysmom
06-02-2009, 05:37 PM
The first time we took our children to WDW our oldest was 2 1/2 years and our youngest was 9 months. We went in December so the weather was nice and cool. It was a great trip. Even with bottles, baby food and diapers we still had a fantastic time. Just next week they'll be taking their 8th trip!

kakn7294
06-02-2009, 05:42 PM
My older DD was 13 months old. My younger DD was 3 years old. My niece was 6 months old. My nephew was 5 months old.

tiggerbuddy
06-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Mine was 5..
Out of diapers/bottles etc and old enough to enjoy the magic:mickey:

Fire314
06-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Going in December and new DD will 8 months old.

JenniferS.
06-02-2009, 10:07 PM
My 5 yr old twins turned 3 on their first trip. My 3 yr old was 2 for her first trip. She stayed w/ family while we went w/ the twins when she was 4 months and again at 16 months.

Darbylew
06-02-2009, 10:28 PM
I have taken all my children and grandchildren
at an early age. I guess the youngest was an
infant. We just took our two year old grand
daughter in March. She loved it. :mickey:
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
NOVEMBER 2009!:D

Disney Doll
06-03-2009, 10:17 AM
We took our son for his 1st birthday and it was a great trip. We didn't think traveling with a baby was that much of a hassle. In fact we went back at 15 months and are planning to be back at 23 months. We took our nieces when they were 3 and 5. I have to say that I think that helping two kids in the bathroom all the time is no more of a hassle than changing diapers. At least with a diaper you don't have any of those I have to go NOW moments.

k3utmk
06-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Does pre-birth count?

If so, nobody could possibly have visited WDW and be younger than my duaghter....though others might be tied with her.

KatrinaJ91
06-03-2009, 11:42 AM
My oldest daughter was born in October and my youngest in August (5 years apart) We made sure we went to WDW the summers after each of them were born. So one was months old and the other 11 months old for their first trips. They had a great time while they were there. Of course, they don't actually remember too much of it, but we remember every second! They LOVE to look at pics of themselves from those trips. They are now 21 and 16 and have been back MANY times.
Having a stroller at the park can have advantages as well! We kept everything tucked away in different places on the stroller and made it nice to have somewhere to keep things! Also, diapers were never really a problem as there were always decent places for changing. MK has a wonderful Baby Station by the Crystal Palace.
My hubby's brother and his wife keep putting off going until their kids are "old enough" and it makes me crazy. Life is short and they are missing out on some wonderful memories. If that is the only reason you are waiting to go.....stop waiting! It is so worth it. :mickey:

Stitchahula
06-03-2009, 11:43 AM
We brought my oldest son when he was 2 1/2. When we booked our second trip for him I found out that I was pregnant. We went when my oldest was 4 and the baby was 7 weeks. The baby is now almost 2 he will be on the 4th of July. We are hoping to be able to get to disney next year.

estein80
06-03-2009, 11:47 AM
21 months for my son... the diapers are a bit of a hassle.. I would prefer to wait until they are out of diapers..

I can see your point, but I would have to change dd's diaper anywhere we go, so being in Disney doesn't make that big a difference to me (I wish more places had changing tables like they do.). I have to say I really didn't know how my dd would react being so young, but she really does enjoy going. She won't remember the details, but as we keep going back she will remember bits and pieces.

SFD998
06-03-2009, 11:53 AM
My 7 year old was 18 months old on his first trip and my 3 1/2 year old was 15 months old on his first trip. Unless of course you count when my wife was pregnant with my oldest during one of our trips.

SheLovesDisney
06-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Both of my kids were about 1 year old when we first took them...we went at a slower, more relaxed pace and had a ball - wonderful memories!!!

disneyboundagain
06-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Does pre-birth count?

If so, nobody could possibly have visited WDW and be younger than my duaghter....though others might be tied with her.

Both of our kids heard the sounds and tasted the food of Disney when they were still in DW's belly! They are 3 and 5 now, and have been back at least once a year since.

Imagineer1981
06-03-2009, 12:24 PM
My son will be 18months and we can't wait to take him!

iluvdumbo
06-21-2009, 02:05 PM
I think that I was about 4 when I went for my first time to the World. I am now 15, going to be 16 in December and my mom and I try to go once every year. I would probably take children to Disney when they can actually remember their first experience, maybe around 3-5 years old. You can never start them too early though...but you can't start them when they are too old, then they won't appreciate all the money that you put into the vacation. Hope this helps :]

joanna71985
06-21-2009, 03:05 PM
My first trip was around 1 year old. The youngest my siblings went was around 6 months old.

I think if a group can manage a baby, there really is no "right" age to take someone. I think it's awsome seeing Disney through a baby/child's eyes. Then again, if parents feel they wouldn't be able to manage until the child is older, I respect that too.

DisneyTwinsMommy
06-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Our twin boys have gone at 6, 11, and 17 months. When we go in September they will be 23 months. That is 4 trips by the time they turn 2! :thumbsup: I am encouraging their addiction and they are enabling mine!! :mickey::mickey:

snowblack
07-21-2011, 07:44 PM
I took my son on his first trip, when he was 1. And my daughter when she was 6 months old. I think back and say how did I do it? I was in the hotel roo making bottles every night to bring to the park. I loved every minute of it though.:cloud9:

Mickey'sGirl
07-21-2011, 08:32 PM
My oldest was almost 4 and my youngest was 6 months old. I was 2 when my parents took me in 1971. :)

Tink#64
07-21-2011, 10:24 PM
We took our first trip, first for DH & myself as well, when DS's were 4 1/2 & 6. It was really then before we could afford it! But I had been planning that trip since youngest DS was born! But I knew that I wanted to wait until youngest DS was potty trained, didn't need naps or a stroller! DS's were able to enjoy every attraction that they wanted to - nearly everything in WDW! We went to every park! I hadn't planned on Epcot, thinking they were too young, DS 6 talked me in to it, and we all loved it! Also still young enough to be in awe of the characters, for characters meals & autograph's! It was a truly magical trip! :tink:

Terra
07-21-2011, 10:53 PM
I took my first son at 4 weeks old. [EPCOT] [We're only counting OUTSIDE the womb right? ;)] And my second son was 3 months [Magic Kingdom].

I said I wanted to break them in early :mickey: My friends always joked with me and said it would be cool to give birth at Disney. I didn't want to go that far though:blush:

07-22-2011, 12:07 AM
Grandaughter will be 2 next month and has been to WDW 5 times, 1st time at 3 months, and Disneyland once, at about 9 months.

Cara121078
07-22-2011, 07:34 AM
My youngest daughter was 2 months old on her first trip to WDW.

BigRedDad
07-22-2011, 08:06 AM
I was 37 when we took our daughter for the first time :mickey:

DD was 2 the first time she went. I think it was a perfect age. Younger than that, they will still have fun looking at the colors and all the wonder. It is highly unlikely that they will remember much though. My DD still remembers going up to a character on her own. It was at DHS. Minnie and Daisy came out. It was her turn and she always had to be held. Daisy turned to her, daughter ran passed Minnie and jumped into Daisy's arms. Good thing she had some balance or she might have rolled over.

iceicebritney
07-22-2011, 08:14 AM
All ages!:thumbsup: I was 6 months old when my parents took me on my first WDW trip. I don't remember any of it, but my parents made me a whole photo album and used my picture with Mickey as our Christmas card that year. My point is, even if your child isn't old enough to remember it, you will through photos and video. Your child will also have those photos to look at.

Mousemates
07-22-2011, 10:24 AM
First trip ages:

DD was 20 months old

DS was still a work in process, as DW
was months along in the pregnancy

it was hot (june) but we had a great trip and DD would still rather go to WDW than anywhere else for vacation.

cuteduck223
07-22-2011, 11:06 AM
before we had kids, we said--they have to be old enough to enjoy it and remember.

then we took our DD for her second birthday six months ago. It's still all she talks about, and keeps asking to go back. If, 20 years from now she doesn't remember--thats ok. She had SO MUCH JOY during our trip, and even after. She still gets so excited looking at pictures--we even watch the free parks DVD sometimes and she laughs and claps and talks about things as they come on the screen.

I think it depends on the personality of your child though too--she wasn't afraid of characters at all, and likes ot watch fireworks (as long as they aren't too loud!:mickey:)

mollyme123
07-22-2011, 11:58 AM
I don't think age really matters. When the child is really little, they aren't going to remember it, except through stories and pics. But memories can still be made...

crltkcagle
07-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Our youngest was 2 on his first trip. He is now 6 and remembers everything! The only thing is we have created a monster because he is totally obsessed with everything Disney! LOL This upcoming trip will be his 4th trip and he's only 6!

MinnieMommie
07-24-2011, 01:55 PM
in utero and 10 months...my DS (the oldest) was about 3 1/2 on his 1st trip (DD 2nd child was 10 months then) and it was easy traveling with the 2 of them (all my kids are good travelers though). She was in the back pack and he hopped in and out of the stroller to go on the attractions. It was a wonderful trip (and my grown group are still Disney enthusiasts and visit WDW often)! :mickey:

NewmanFamily6
07-24-2011, 04:43 PM
We didn't start taking them until they were 3 years old. We felt like they could enjoy it more at that age but everyone is different.

thatkindofday
07-25-2011, 12:00 AM
We went when I was 6 months pregnant with our DD, then after she was born, took her when she was 6 months, 13 months, and we are going at 20 months, 22 months, and 23 months. She has her good days and bad days, but she's an easy baby and i think it's easier with diapers than it will be once she's potty trained.

SoaringEpcot
07-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Well I read through the post quickly, but it looks like we had the second youngest on here.

DS was 5 weeks old. We took him across the country to Disneyland. He did great and mainly just slept the whole time.

Disney Doll
07-26-2011, 11:57 AM
My oldest had his first trip for his first birthday and my youngest was 9 months old. Disney is the most family friendly vacation destination there is and they make it very easy to bring little ones. Personally, I wouldn't bring a baby before they had been vaccinated or during cold/flu season because you will be exposed to the world's germs. Other than that I say bring 'em!