PDA

View Full Version : DDP 10 yr olds

Tinkerbellrulz
06-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Hi just curious does any one know if the smaller adult ( 10 yr olds ) as Disney calls them lol can eat of the children menu in some of he table service resaurants . My son is autisic and very picky so it will be a challenge to pick restaurant for our nov. trip, i dont only want buffet. I want to know if son doesnt like an adult entree can he pick a child entree ?:mickey:

5togetherWDW
06-02-2009, 11:15 AM
We found that all of the places we dined did allow food to be ordered off the children's menu -- but each restaurant seemed to handle what was included in the DDP price differently. Some charged one adult DDP credit for the full kids meal plus a kids dessert, two allowed for a child meal plus an adult dessert, while another said that we could have the child's a la carte items, but nothing with an appetizer, and any desert. In all cases, though, my sons ordered what they wanted and were able to find food choices they ebjoyed.

Strmchsr
06-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Honestly, if you don't think your son will eat off the adult menu you would probably be much better off not getting the DDP. Just save your money and pay OOP and that way you can let him order what he wants. If you do the DDP you would lose a LOT of the value by ordering off the children's menu.

princessesmom
06-02-2009, 12:57 PM
He can definitely order off the children's menu. Even at the family style restaurants, they will bring him the child offerings if he wants them. But they will charge him as an adult. We had a picky 11 year old in our group at O'hana's. They brought her a grilled cheese without a problem, but charged her as an adult.

You didn't say if you're on the dining plan. If you're planning to do many ts at menu type restaurants, it might not be very cost effective. On the other hand if you're going to do mostly buffets and family style, it might be the way to go, since he'll have the pay the adult price no matter what he eats.

Tinkerbellrulz
06-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Thank you all , we are on the dining plan there is only 1 restaurant( Coral Reef )that im concerned with the rest are buffets .:cloud9:

It'sWDW4me
06-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Thank you all , we are on the dining plan there is only 1 restaurant( Coral Reef )that im concerned with the rest are buffets .:cloud9:

Last year we went to Cinderella's Royal Table for dinner. My 12 yr old picky eater wasn't too happy with the choices from the adult's menu so he asked to see the children's menu. The waiter readily obliged. My son did find something on the children's menu that he wanted to try (Mahi Mahi) and they made an adult-sized portion for him. At the end of the meal he was stuffed and loved the meal - his best ever at the World, so he says.

Don't let a picky eater stop you from trying any TS restaurant - I'm sure they've seen (and fed a great meal to) picky eaters of all ages! :thumbsup:

Enjoy your trip!

ElenitaB
06-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Our experience at Coral Reef with my then 10 yr old, was that they were happy to prepare him an adult entree "dumbed down" to a 10 year old's not terribly sophisticated palate (in his case, he had a plain, grilled chicken breast with mashed potatoes and veggies instead of the sauced chicken breast with "fancy" sides on the menu). They really were very accomodating. Don't think you'll have trouble at all!

Nini5055
06-03-2009, 05:01 PM
We had the opposite dilemma with my dd7. She is used to eating what "grown-ups" eat...seafood and such. She was upset with all the chicken tenders and pizzas on the childs menus. Additonally, we found that she would eat off our dinners (for the food she preferred) and we would order appetizers so she could share something other than apples or fruit cups...like calamari and shrimp (a couple of her faves!). We would also order entrees that she would like as well...after all, she spent the trip "sharing" our meals. ;) She was also disappointed with the childs menu desserts and time and time again settled for the "make your own sundae"...she would build it and not eat it...and it kind of bored me too. :( She also prefers cheesecake with berries to the sundae.

I have realized that she will need to have access to the Adult Dining Plan next time.:D It does not matter to me as long as she is able to enjoy her vacation as well.

FYI...my dd7 is on the Autism Spectrum. I know how you feel with meals. When I say she was disappointed...it was FAR more than the average child. :( She can talk for weeks about something that was not "right".

Do what you need to do with your son...it will mean so MUCH to him!!! Also, do not be shy in telling the CM's his needs...they are very receptive and helpful.:thumbsup:

limegreenmonorail
06-05-2009, 10:58 AM
I would just order him a kid's meal and pay cash for it. Then you can save his TS credits for yourself, and book a few more TS meals!