PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? (Harry Potter edition)

alphamommy
06-01-2009, 04:24 PM
DD9 has read the first five HP books. She loves them, and has also seen these movies (all at home).

However, I've been hesitant to let her read the sixth book. The ending was a little too heartbreaking (at least for me), and I'm not sure I want her to read it just yet. We don't plan on letting her see the new movie, at least not until DH and I do.

She deals with things very well, so I'm not sure if I should just let her go ahead and read it. I think one of her friends already told her how it ends, so maybe I'm being overprotective.

Any opinions?

Lakin
06-01-2009, 04:28 PM
I read the 6th Harry Potter book at the age of 9 and it did not effect me. Yes, it was heartbreaking, but there are much worse things. You should let your daughter read it; I'm sure she would be able to handle it.

If you want heart breaking, try reading Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows. *shivers*

NotaGeek
06-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Hmmm. Maybe you should us this opportunity to let your daughter experience the book .. and have discussions with her about how she feels.

At 9 I think she would be old enough to read the book ... even with a sad ending, it's still written for kids.

DakandZakMom
06-01-2009, 04:50 PM
I would let her read it. As you said before I am sure she knows what happens at this point anyway. Besides as the PP said it may be a good way to answer questions that may not come up everyday.

Strmchsr
06-01-2009, 04:51 PM
:ditto: That's what I did with DS8. It's not like it's gruesome or anything. Sad, yes, but still within the bounds a 9 yr old can handle.

joanna71985
06-01-2009, 05:18 PM
I think it could be handled by a 9-year-old. If she liked the first 5, I have a feeling she will like the 6th one too.

pink
06-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Let her read it. There is a death in the 5th book as well, I don't see the difference.:mickey:

DisneyDog
06-01-2009, 08:43 PM
If she wants to read it I would say go for it. My mom never censored anything I read and I think it's the best thing she ever did for me. It's what inspired me to be a librarian.

That being said, my library catalogs HP books as Young Adult (12-16) and not Juvenile (5-11).

alphamommy
06-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

Someone mentioned being a librarian, and the classification of the HP books. I volunteered in DD's school library last year, and the librarian wouldn't allow her classmates to check out the first book, saying it was for fifth graders only. I smiled to myself: at that point, DD was almost done with #3.

gueli
06-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Dear Alphamommy-

SO what is YOUR answer. Will you allow dd9 to read it ?

I agree with the other posters- I would think a young person who has handled all the books well should be fine. But that is me and my DD7 is not up to reading them yet...

:mickey:

brownie
06-02-2009, 07:37 AM
You should let her read it; she'll probably surprise you.

SBETigg
06-02-2009, 07:59 AM
It has some very dark moments, but I think the ultimate ending brings it all to a very nice conclusion. There's joy and rebuilding. It's not all bleak. Yes, she'll suffer the loss of some beloved characters, and only you know how much she's ready to face. I think it's appropriate for the age.

DisneyDog
06-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Someone mentioned being a librarian, and the classification of the HP books. I volunteered in DD's school library last year, and the librarian wouldn't allow her classmates to check out the first book, saying it was for fifth graders only.

That's interesting. In the public library, we may put books in a certain collection, but anyone can still check them out. It's more of a recommendation. I didn't realize school libraries did that. My DS6 just started in elementary school this year. I don't believe what a child should be allowed to read should be up to the librarian or school. But, that is why I work in a public library. Well, my son will always be allowed to read whatever he wants. I was allowed and so will he -- I read The World According to Garp when I was in 5th grade. It's still one of my favorite books. Maybe not completely age appropriate for a 10 year old, but I loved it just the same.

So, what would happen if she brought in her own copy to school and she wasn't yet in 5th grade? Would it be taken away? Or would it not matter if it wasn't a school library book?

Mickey'sGirl
06-02-2009, 10:50 AM
I so agree with you DisneyDog! :thumbsup:

My kids are allowed to read anything and everything. I was, and then given the opportunity to discuss books with my parents.

Back to the original question though.... If you don't want her to read it yet, then don't let her. You are the parent and the decision is yours. Maybe you could offer to read it with her if that would make you more comfortable?

Disneyatic
06-03-2009, 10:32 AM
If she wants to read it, I would let her. Bravo to any children who take on the task of reading a series! Books as thick as some of the Harry Potter's could be daunting to kids, so I love seeing them read them! That being said, my DD9 finished reading the Twilight series a few months ago and she loved them, but I can't get her to want to start the Harry Potter series. I wish I could!
I agree with a PP that there was death in the previous books that could be considered traumatic also. If she dealt with the previous books and enjoyed them, she can handle the remaining.
Also, if she is going to read the final book, it gives good resolution and lessons.

SAHDad
06-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Put me in the "Let her read it" category as well. DS is too young to read the series at the moment (he's only 5), but when/if he wants to read it, he can. (I plowed through "Stranger in a Strange Land" no later than the 5th grade. . . and wound up doing an oral report on it in class.)

I am of the opinion that kids need to know that there is evil in the world, and, more importantly, that evil can be defeated.

murphy1
06-04-2009, 05:29 PM
I also have a 9 yo dd and am letting her read the books, her little sister already wants to read them (she's mature for her age of 7, but am holding her off). Has your dd read Narnia books? I thought Aslan's death was pretty traumatic. It's good for kids at this age to learn about death and they have us to talk to about it. Oh, another great book I loved which I need to find for my kids "The Ghost of Windy Hill", Iloved it!

Pagan
06-04-2009, 05:37 PM
I'd say let her read it too. Even though there are dark moments in the latter HP books, the basic theme of love, friendship and loyalty conquering all still come through.

alphamommy
06-04-2009, 08:33 PM
DD9 started HP 6 this afternoon. I thought a friend had told her what happens at the end, we found out today that she doesn't know.

Thanks for all the opinions! You reinforced what DH (who hasn't read the books) thought!