PDA

View Full Version : Insulin pump

IloveJack
06-01-2009, 11:10 AM
I've asked questions on here before regarding what to do with my insulin pens/suplies while at the resort. Last week, however, I got aninsulin pump. How many of you have used a pump in the parks? I'm thinking about bumpy rides, etc. What should I be concerned with? At least I won't have to carry my pens around with me all day!

Strmchsr
06-01-2009, 12:30 PM
It really depends on your pump. I would check with your doctor about this one. Some pumps they recommend taking off if you're going to be doing a lot of roller coasters, bumpy rides, or wet rides, and some it doesn't really matter. So, definitely check with your doc about your specific pump and have a great trip!!

medic9016
06-01-2009, 12:32 PM
You should ask you Dr. There are different kinds of pumps. Some more durable than others.

figgie
06-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Ditto with the asking your doctor about your pump, but I can tell you that my DH also wears an insulin pump and has for years. He has been on all the rides (Expedition Everest just two days ago) including "wet" rides and has never had a problem with his. The only time he takes it off is for the water parks. We travel with a thermos and he removes the insulin vial and we put it in the thermos with ice while we swim. Then we replace the vial into the pump when we leave the water parks or resort pool. He actually thinks the pump is much easier to travel with than the needles and is really happy he switched. Relax and have a good time, you'll find the pump a great help in the long run.

thumperbug
08-23-2009, 07:28 PM
I have been on the pump for 6 years. Sooo much easier then insulin pens or syringes.

I have never had any problems on any rides with my pump. The only time I take it off is to swim or shower. When I say "take it off" I mean use the temporary disconnect on the infusion set.

I would contact your Doctor or the RN from the pump company who did your pump training.

Have a great time!