PDA

View Full Version : Any dining plan math experts out there?

leighe
06-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Hi all. i'm trying to decide if DH and I should do the deluxe dining plan for our June trip and I need to decide today. We are planning a 12 day, adults only get away - heavy on sitting at the pool and nice meals. We have a sit-down meal planned for every night and several of them are signature restaurants - Narcoossee's, Cali Grill, Shula's, Yachtsman. (DH is a steak lover, if you can't tell.)

Anyway - the reason we have hesitated to get the plan is that what we really like when we eat out are appetizers and drinks - so we would end up paying for those anyway. I know the deluxe plan does include appetizers but still no drinks or the tip so I'm not sure what is the most cost-effective option.

Any ideas?

Seasonscraps
06-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Ok so 12 days/11 nights - that's 33 dining credits each.

What other meals do you have planned? Any dinner shows or other 2 credit meals? Shula's (my favorite restaurant in Disney) is not part of the meal plan so you won't use credits that night.

If you can use up the credits, then I would go for it. You will be paying for tips & drinks with either plan so I wouldn't really figure that into the calculation. It will be nice to have the appetizer included, especially since you enjoy them so much.

TheDuckRocks
06-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Confession - I have OCD when it comes to Disney dining!
I have Excel spreedsheets galore to keep me on track with our Deluxe DDP. For our upcoming trip in Dec. after much research I have found that over a 10 night stay period the averages for the 2 of us is as follows:
7 Breakfasts average - $19.20 each
10 Lunches average - $38.17 each
10 Dinners average - $52.26 each
That is an average total of $91.63 per person per night.
The cost of the Deluxe DDP is $71.99 per person per night.
My average per day total does not include the price of 20 snack credits or the refillable mug which you receive.
Is the Deluxe DDP for us? Absolutely, yes!
Is it for everyone? Absolutely not!
Are we the average Disney guest? No.
A major part of our enjoying our time at Disney World is getting to experience all the wonderful dining options. We also are 2 senior citizens who like to leisurely wander through the parks and don't have little kids that have needs and wants.
If anyone would like to see how I've come by my numbers, send me a PM and I'd be happy to share my detailed information with you.

LauraF
06-01-2009, 01:08 PM
I calculated that my BF and I would save about 20% on the Deluxe DP as compared to spending out of pocket.

Our assumptions:

1 TS breakfast every other day of the trip
TS for most lunchs and dinners
On the days we didn't eat breakfast out, we'd splurge for a 2TS dinner

Now we don't have kids, and we plan our trips around having time to sit and rest in nice AC restaurants as the weather can set off my asthma. We do get a lot done in the parks, but we go there to enjoy dining as much as rides.

leighe
06-01-2009, 02:54 PM
I went back and looked at the menus and basically estimated what we would eat/spend and decided we are much better off to pay OOP. We rarely manage to eat more than one meal a day at WDW as it is and would still end up paying for drinks.

I love cocktails on vacation!! :blush:

TheRustyScupper
06-01-2009, 04:00 PM
1) To many people, us included, DxDP is just too much food.
2) At home, we typically eat
. . . mid-size breakfast
. . . light light
. . . mid-size dinner
3) A DxDP would be such overkill, since at WDW we typically eat
. . . light breakfast
. . . snack
. . . mid-size dinner

forever a child
06-01-2009, 07:17 PM
After reading this thread, I realized...Do drinks come with the free Dining Plan? :confused: I know tips, of course, are not included...but I wasn't thinking about drinks...:eat:
Anyone know? Thank you for reply!:mickey:

pixiesmimi
06-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Non-alcoholic drinks come with it. On the old plan, appetizers, desert and drinks were all included along with tips. When it was revamped, they cut out the appetizer and tip on the regular dining plan. I think the appetizer is included on the DDP but still not alcoholic drinks or tip. Correct me if I'm wrong.

PetefromRI
06-01-2009, 07:59 PM
After reading this thread, I realized...Do drinks come with the free Dining Plan? :confused: I know tips, of course, are not included...but I wasn't thinking about drinks...:eat:
Anyone know? Thank you for reply!:mickey:
Only non- alcoholic drinks such as iced tea,soda and sometimes a smoothie.

ElenitaB
06-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Non-alcoholic drinks come with it. On the old plan, appetizers, desert and drinks were all included along with tips. When it was revamped, they cut out the appetizer and tip on the regular dining plan. I think the appetizer is included on the DDP but still not alcoholic drinks or tip. Correct me if I'm wrong.
On the DxDP, appetizers, entrees and desserts are included. On the DDP, only entrees and desserts are included. Neither plan includes non-alcoholic and non-specialty drinks (which includes smoothies, cappucinos and such).

There is also a Wine & Dine add-on, that will allow you to add a daily bottle of "fine wine" to your meal at select TS or signature restaurants, for $39.99 per room, per night.

We've had a variety of dining plans on our trips since 2000, and althought we never did get the "top notch" plans, I don't recall them ever including cocktails.

pixiesmimi
06-02-2009, 10:45 AM
On the DxDP, appetizers, entrees and desserts are included. On the DDP, only entrees and desserts are included. Neither plan includes non-alcoholic and non-specialty drinks (which includes smoothies, cappucinos and such).

There is also a Wine & Dine add-on, that will allow you to add a daily bottle of "fine wine" to your meal at select TS or signature restaurants, for $39.99 per room, per night.

We've had a variety of dining plans on our trips since 2000, and althought we never did get the "top notch" plans, I don't recall them ever including cocktails.

Are you saying that no drinks of any kind are included on the dining plans? Are you sure about that? I thought drinks were included as long as they weren't alcoholic or real specialty drinks like ice tea, cokes, coffee.

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Are you saying that no drinks of any kind are included on the dining plans? Are you sure about that? I thought drinks were included as long as they weren't alcoholic or real specialty drinks like ice tea, cokes, coffee.

You are correct both plans include a non-alcoholic drink. Depending on the restaurant depends whether or not you can get one of the specialty drinks like a smoothie or shake.

To OP:

I would recommend doing the DxDDP. My DH and I did it last year and are doing it again this year. It is a lot of food however if you are going to be ordering an app and dining at signature restaurants it's worth it. Last year we saved between $400 and $500 by doing it. (9 nights/10days)

We found eating breakfast and late dinners was great. However lunch and dinner less than 7-8 hours apart was a little tough. If we did lunch at 11 and dinner at 8 or 9 we were okay.

Good luck and have fun planning!

forever a child
06-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Only non- alcoholic drinks such as iced tea,soda and sometimes a smoothie.

Thank you. I knew I was figuring drinks included...since I don't drink alcoholic drinks:mickey:

ElenitaB
06-02-2009, 11:59 PM
You're absolutely right! I was so concentrated on what the plan doesn't include, that I missed the crucial "what it does include" part. :blush: Sorry!

Figment78
06-03-2009, 01:35 PM
We go through this same dilemma every year as well.

Another option to consider is the cost of upgrading your ticket to an AP (if you don't have one already), since you will be there 12 days anyway, and purchasing the Tables in Wonderland card. This will give you 20% discount on most TS meals, and includes alcoholic drinks. Neither the DDP, DxDP or Tables card include tip, so that is a non-issue. (Although when you use the card, they automatically add 18% tip to your bill, so if you typically tip less, that is a factor). Usually, we find this option to work best for us because we like appetizers and wine, but not always dessert.

You may also benefit from the AP room rate if you have an AP.

Nini5055
06-03-2009, 03:27 PM
I was just there with my dd7 and my mom for 7 days. We had the DlxDP and I would highly recommend it.

We very rarely had dinner meals (for three of us) under $125. We ate at resturants like Citricos, Narcoossee's , LeCellier, The Wave as well as lunches and breakfasts with characters (something you may or may not wish to do).

On our previous trip we did the Hoop Dee Doo Review Dinner Show (TONS of fun) and the Polynesian Dinner Show (geared more towards adults). The Grand Floridian also has Victoria's & Alberts for adults...no children under 10.

For an adult only trip, I would definitely do the Deluxe!!!