PDA

View Full Version : Do CMs at attractions actually look at fastpasses?

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
05-30-2009, 05:36 PM
The last time we were there, a group of teenagers were in front of us on one of our favorite attractions. They were being sort of rowdy and carrying on with each other about figuring out a way to cheat the system.

What they did was gather a stack of invalid or expired fastpasses, and then when they got to the CM taking the passes, they handed them to her upside down and zoomed right on ahead.

I'm not advocating this at all, and it actually ticked me off, enough that I told the CM what happened and see if she was going to do anything, but she just shrugged.

Is this common, for the CM to not actually verify the fastpasses? Or is this maybe more the case of somebody thinking they can cheat the system and trying to get away with as much as they can?

trackbarroness
05-30-2009, 05:47 PM
I do check the fast passes even if I'm at merge point. Mainly because it isn't fair to guests standing in the standby line to have other guests attempt to get ahead of them with not valid fast passes. Did they start in stand by before moving over to fastpass? If they show the backs of the fastpasses we will check the fastpass face to make sure it's valid before they enter the fastpass que and that includes fastpasses that have a later time on it.
There are 2 points that guests pass that a CM, the first CM check the fast pass the second CM takes them, and yes we do check them at merge point. And my favorite guests in the fast pass que without fast passes. I'll send them back outside to enter the standby line at the back of the line.

dmosher
05-30-2009, 05:57 PM
Yes, from what I have seen they tend to be quite diligent about checking them. I have seen people try to cheat and fail... I love it when they get caught and sent out. I have heard people applaud the CM's for this, so... yep they check them!
:pipes:
D

SBETigg
05-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Yes, from what I have seen they tend to be quite diligent about checking them. I have seen people try to cheat and fail... I love it when they get caught and sent out. I have heard people applaud the CM's for this, so... yep they check them!
:pipes:
D

This has been my experience as well. I've never seen a CM not check every single Fastpass. I'm sure it can happen, but it's not common practice to not check to my experience.

merlinmagic4
05-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Yes, I think they do read them and strictly enforce the return time, too. Quite a few times I heard them holding people back until it was EXACTLY the return time on the pass :thumbsup:

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
05-30-2009, 06:55 PM
I know in my experience they checked them. I wasn't paying attention going to SOARIN last year and thought it was time for me to go... I was 3 minutes early and they had me wait... which was fine, I shouldnt be able to go before it's time... I was embarassed, but got past it once I smelled the orange trees!

joanna71985
05-30-2009, 07:02 PM
I would say, 99% of the time the CMs are good about checking the dates on FP (if not more).

JavaDuck
05-30-2009, 07:27 PM
During our trip last August, the CMs were checking fast pasts. We arrived at the RNR coaster one minute before our scheduled FP time and the CM made us wait the one minute. We were totally fine with it, just stood off to the side and waited for the clock to change.

dtootsie42
05-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Yes, they do check them...we had to step aside one time and wait the two minutes till it was our time. Did not bother us but boy did the family next to us get angry....they could not understand why they had to wait the two minutes and in their opinion what difference did it make. I just did not understand why they had to be rude and continue to complain to the CM who was just doing his job.

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-30-2009, 08:45 PM
I've never seen a CM NOT check! More than once I've seen people turned away, or asked to wait a few more minutes until their time :thumbsup:

WDWdriver
05-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Yes, we check each and every one. Most guests are understanding and don't complain if they have to wait a few minutes.

The more difficult guests are those that have never used FP before and don't really understand how it works. They sometimes get their FP from the distribution machine and then proceed straight to the entrance holding out their FP, which isn't valid for another hour. We then have to hold up the line while we explain the process.

There are guests who try to cheat by flashing an invalid FP or line jumping into the FP queue. These are almost always caught at the merge point and directed to the back of the standby line.

Daddy Mouse
05-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Everytime, it has been a few years, the fast passes were always checked. I'm sure the cm's expect some people to try and sneek thru. It is their job.

JPL
05-30-2009, 09:48 PM
I don't think I ever seen FPs not being checked although there was a few occaisions that the CM never took my FP at the merge point even after I tried to give it to them. :confused:

05-30-2009, 09:49 PM
Well that's great news, it's unanimous that the CMs check the fastpasses. From what I understand, it seems like these kids were trying to pull one over on the CM who pretty much knew what they were doing. This seems to be much more the case of some kids trying to cheat the system.

Sort of like the old urban legend about the college student who is finishing his exam and the professor calls time, saying that any exam not now handed in automatically receives an F. The student says "this is such a large class, do you know every student by name?", and when the professor says no, the student puts his exam in the professors hand, knocks ALL the exams to the floor, scatteding them all, and runs off.

Kathy Jetson
05-31-2009, 12:51 AM
What is an invalid fastpass?

tjstrike
05-31-2009, 02:29 AM
What is an invalid fastpass?

I guess technically, it's the ones you get when you already have a FP for another ride and it's not time to get another one yet. It says right on the FP "invalid" but OP was probably refering to a FP that's the wrong time or date.

BigRedDad
05-31-2009, 04:59 AM
My experience is that they check the time and date. Even if the fastpass has expired from the 1-hour window, they let you on. However, they do stop you if it is not your time.

We did have a CM check, initially turn us down, and then let us on the Safari 10 minutes early. My DD was about to fall asleep and he saw it too.

Brownie54
05-31-2009, 09:27 AM
I know in my experience they checked them. I wasn't paying attention going to SOARIN last year and thought it was time for me to go... I was 3 minutes early and they had me wait... which was fine, I shouldnt be able to go before it's time... I was embarassed, but got past it once I smelled the orange trees!

Don't be embarassed, its an easy mistake. At least you waited to the side. I get POed when people clog up the entrance waiting for their fastpass to become valid. One of my pet peeves:mad:.

estein80
06-01-2009, 08:49 PM
What they did was gather a stack of invalid or expired fastpasses, and then when they got to the CM taking the passes, they handed them to her upside down and zoomed right on ahead.

I'm not advocating this at all, and it actually ticked me off, enough that I told the CM what happened and see if she was going to do anything, but she just shrugged.

Not that this is any better, but is it possible that the CM figured she would let the kids wait in line until the merge point where they would then be kicked out of line and sent back to stand-by? It might make more of an impact.

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Oh yes, they check them. My son was 90 seconds early and they CM made him wait:)

barbiegirl314
06-02-2009, 11:49 AM
When we were there last month there was a couple in front of us who tried to get in 2 hours before their FP time. They were at the merge point and I don't know why it wasn't caught by the CM at the entrance. They were arguing quite loudly with this CM and refused to leave the line, the CM ended up having to call security on them

Imagineer1981
06-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Honestly, when I was a CM, I NEVER NEVER NEVER checked the date, and was never told to by my managers, I just looked at the time and made sure it was the right time. I am sure plenty of CMs will say the same

Lakin
06-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Yes, they do check them. Though, some CMs are flexible.

I and my dad were roaming the park with each other. But, of course, my forgetful dad forgot his watch. So, there were us two, in line for MISSION: Space 10 minutes early. When the CM told us, we kindly sat to the side and talked as we waited for our time slot to open. The Cast Member after about a minute or two let us in. After all, there really wasn't anyone coming so it didn't affect anybodies wait much from what I noticed.

SFD998
06-03-2009, 12:56 PM
I know that there is a return window, but as long as the return time has passed is it acceptable or allowed to use them if you return later than the time listed? IE: fast pass time 11:00 - 12:00 and I get there at 4:00.

06-03-2009, 03:21 PM
I know that there is a return window, but as long as the return time has passed is it acceptable or allowed to use them if you return later than the time listed? IE: fast pass time 11:00 - 12:00 and I get there at 4:00.
I think technically you are allowed to use the fastpass any time after the time listed on the pass. In your example, any time after 11:00 you could use the pass.

I encountered a grouchy CM at Splash Mountain last time when I asked this question. I knew that the time spit out on the FP machine was during a dinner reservation, so I asked him if I could come back after dinner.

He shrugged his shoulders and said "whatever, if you want to make your time in the line slower and clog up the line for other fastpass and standby users, go ahead and do that".

I thought that was quite un-Disney, never mind that his logic didn't really hold up, because by freeing up the time that my pass was issued for, I helped the line move a little faster during that time, so my net result was no change.

Catzle
06-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Oh my gosh yes! I thought a couple of CM's were actually very rude about it this past trip. Twice we were questioned about having enough for our party. I held onto them for my kids and husband and handed four of them to the CM. And than go on and she stopped my daughter and said where is yours and I said I just handed them to you. She than said you wait while I count. Of course all 4 were there but this happened twice to us. It's fine if they want to question but boy were they rude about it. So I started spreading them out like a fan so they could see all 4 were there. Both instances were on Soarin. So not only do they look at the date and time they do a full count. Another time we left the park early around 8 at night because of high winds and thunderstorms than went back the next day and thought we could use them, same time frame and all. The first lady checked let us by and the second lady who had already let half of our crew by made us come back and say we couldn't do this. I explained the situation to her and she said these are her words I don't care what happened I'm not letting you in. I said well you just let half our party through she said well than I'm going to get them. And she did she chased off around the corner and made them all come back. I went to customer service because the lady was not only rude to the adults but to my daughter who asked why we couldn't go. I went to the customer service area and he explained to me that if this ever happens stop at customer service and they will give you fast pass ticket for you to use. Now why didn't the lady just tell us that. So for anyone who ever leaves due to a storm just stop at customer service and they will give you a fast pass for when you come back.

Yvette
06-03-2009, 05:08 PM
We just came back :sad: and they really checked the date and time of the FP's. As a matter of fact, at Soarin, the CM wouldn't let a family in early that was trying to beat the system. She was very nice about it, but firm.

WDWdriver
06-03-2009, 05:55 PM

Generally, yes. But don't count on it. There is no written policy on this that CMs can refer to. So it is left up to the managers at each attraction. In almost every case you will be allowed to ride if you return later than your window. That is certainly true at the DAK attractions I work at. However, I have heard of late arriving guests being turned away at Soarin'. For whatever reason, Soarin' seem to have the strictest FP policy at WDW.

It is always best to return during your FP window if at all possible.

VolMickey
06-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Yep, our experience has been that they are checked. :mickey:

Catzle
06-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Soarin riders should beware they are very very strict there so come when your time is alloted. Don't come too late or too early and make sure they can see everyone's pass. Yikes!

tinkerddeedee
06-04-2009, 07:59 AM
When we were there 3 weeks ago, they always checked. There were several times where the CM would let us on if we were a few mins. early. I'm talking maybe up to 5, nothing more than that. But there were times when they would make us wait to. So I would say 50/50. But they were always gracious about it, and we were ok about it too:thumbsup:
But I have a fun little story I've been dying to tell. We had a FP for test track. It was still about a 15 min wait. Got on, got stuck in the building, had to be directed out. Gave us a FP for any time later in the day. Went back later, got in line, almost there, had to turn us away becuase it was raining so hard they had to shut it down for the night. UGH! Luckily, we were going back to EPCOT the next day. But not until later. Of course, there was another huge storm coming and we were afraid we woudn't be able to get on. We had FP for WAY later on in the evening, but went to the CM and told him my sob story and he was so nice to let us on then and there!!!!
It was magic!:mickey:

julyjewel
06-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Our has always been carefully checked.

grumpyguy
06-04-2009, 11:47 AM
i'm glad to hear from our cm's on here that they are dillegent about checking them..
me not being a "cheater" feel more comfortable
knowing the rules are enforced!!
way to go cast members:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

KAJUNKING
06-04-2009, 12:11 PM
in my experience weve been checked about 90% of the time

Imagineer1981
06-04-2009, 12:22 PM
good to know they check the date, again I know plenty of CMs who don't. Its so little on the bottom and not easily read. But you can always go later then the time window. Disney for the most part will not fight you on it. What if you kid falls and hurts himself and you are late, or a dinner goes long, or you get stuck on a ride, etc...plenty of reasons to be late and CMs are told to respect that

pixiesmimi
06-04-2009, 12:50 PM
I've had a couple of instances where the CM barely even looked to see if we had FPs when they let us in. I'm not even sure the next ones even looked at the date and time but I know one instance when the first CM didn't. I know I wondered about it then but this is the first time I have seen a thread on it. We were under the impression that you had to use it at your exact time and have never tried to use it later for fear of being rejected.

crltkcagle
06-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Yep same here

I've never seen a CM NOT check! More than once I've seen people turned away, or asked to wait a few more minutes until their time :thumbsup: