PDA

View Full Version : I just HAVE to share this...

Nini5055
05-29-2009, 04:22 PM
I don't know if it belongs here, or somewhere else (moderators feel free to move as needed) BUT...We were on our trip (5/7 to 5/13) and were spending the day in Magic Kingdom.

We were on the Splash Mountain ride and did not have fast passes this time (boo!), but decided to brave the 10 minute wait anyway. We were in line in the building (on the top level) and upon passing through the front line area, I had noticed a little boy about 4 years in age playing in the the empty lines. I had thought surely his mom or dad is nearby and I just don't know. :confused: Shortly after arriving in the line area to the back of the top floor, the boy had been brought to a CM and then the big guys in front of me began yelling "His dad is here...right here!!!" and they were telling this man to go get his little boy. Suddenly, the man in front of me with his little girl came to life...he began to walk out of line LEAVING his approximately 6 year old daughter behind!!! His daughter was not aware he had even left (or he told her to stay OR assumed she would follow OR didn't want to loose his place in line..I don't really know...but she became nervous and started to get teary eyed and scared when she realized he was not there....she started to leave the line to look for him. Mind you, I had my dd7 with me and I could not bear the thought of that little girl wandering ALONE among all those people upset and crying. I told her to "stay in line, I'm sure your dad will be back...I have a little girl too", with the intent of handing her to a CM as quickly as possible...and had my dd7 stand with her which seemed to make her feel better. WELL...her dad finally came back and those same guys helped me get his attention as to the whereabouts of his little girl because the line continued to move while he was gone. He just simply got back in his spot in line with BOTH of his kids and proceeded to go on the ride...business as usual. It just made me think he left his daughter behind on purpose so he wouldn't loose his place in line!!!:mad: What would you think???

Parents: Keep a GOOD eye on your children!!! While I am a kind stranger...not everyone is. :( Afterall, Disney World is still a part of the REAL world.
My dd7 was full of questions about THAT dad...{{{sigh}}}

Mousemates
05-29-2009, 04:57 PM
He just simply got back in his spot in line with BOTH of his kids and proceeded to go on the ride...business as usual. It just made me think he left his daughter behind on purpose so he wouldn't loose his place in line!!! What would you think???

I'd think your probably right. :(

Zippy 1
05-29-2009, 05:08 PM
That is so sad. Someone could have walked off with either of those children. Always amazes me you need a license to drive a car but anyone can be a parent!!:sad:

the other micki
05-29-2009, 05:17 PM
Not a very wise father. I know sometimes kids can get away from a parent, but it seems he didn't even notice the little boy was missing!? And that poor little girl! He needs to realize how young and vulnerable they are!

brownie
05-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Some people really need to pay more attention to what's happening around them.

I'm glad everyone was reunited.

handmaidenofprincesses
05-29-2009, 06:08 PM
That is so sad. Someone could have walked off with either of those children. Always amazes me you need a license to drive a car but anyone can be a parent!!:sad:

Wouldn't it be nice if that was an easily enforceable law?

dtootsie42
05-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Glad to hear the family got back together. I think some parents feel that they are in Disney and nothing "bad" can happen to their children. I was a fanatic about watching my girls when they were younger. Still drives them nuts when I ask who are you going with, where are you going, how long will you be gone, who is driving etc. etc. My girls are now 21, 20 and 18. My 21 year old thinks it is funny to come home from college (where she shares an apartment and lives like an adult) and still has mom asking who, what where. She says she feels loved! :mickey:

Dulcee
05-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Parents aren't always as aware as they should be and its not just in Disney.

I work in an aquarium and I can't tell you how often I watch young children run upstairs, around the corner or to the next exhibit and parents have no idea or seem not to care.

Its never a good thing when an employee is watching your children better then you are...

garymacd
05-29-2009, 09:16 PM
We have been following a case of a little girl in southern Ontario that was taken by someone that it is believed the girl knew briefly.

The little girl has not been found, but the woman who allegedly took her and her boyfriend have been charged with kidnapping and murder.

I cannot understand any parent leaving their children alone anywhere, even or especially in WDW. How would you ever find him or her again? It gives me nightmares thinking about it.

Kathy Jetson
05-29-2009, 09:58 PM
I got seperated from my ds5 last time we were at fantasmic in the mad rush to leave the theater it took me less than 1 minute to find him but i was frantic and in tears. I can't imagine a parent walking away from their child on purpose:(

cherbie66
05-30-2009, 08:53 PM
I work in a daycare and believe me, there are definitely a good deal of crazy parents out there. I could not imagine doing such a thing to a child.

My aunt, 3 cousins, daughter, and I went to a huge playground where I live one time. This place is always crowded, but lots of fun. I asked my aunt to watch my daughter while I went to the bathroom and when I got back I was informed that my daughter and my youngest cousin were lost. I was panic-stricken. It took a good 10 minutes to find them and when we did, I burst into tears. My aunt, on the other hand, was very calm. I said to her "someone could have taken them!!" She shrugged it off and said she didn't think of that. I don't understand how parents couldn't think of that! My daughter is my everything and she does not leave my sight. In Disney I will be extra careful to keep my eye, if not hand, on her at all times. I couldn't bare to feel that panic again.

AmandaChan
05-31-2009, 03:39 AM
I've actually witnessed the same kind of thing. We were standing in the FP line (which was kind of long) at Everest and this woman and her little girl (about 5 or so) were standing in front of DH and I. The woman started talking to someone else and just walked off. I looked at my husband and said that girl was there by herself. She kept looking around for her mom and the line kept moving. I tried to kind of convince her to stand in the line because she started wandering off but she did not speak English. I was dumbfounded that the mother had just left and she came back like literally 4 minutes later to get back in line. What do you say to people like that???

jimsgal05
06-01-2009, 11:26 AM
WOW....that sadens me as aparent...that poor child daughter what if you were not there and some other person was...Peopel come to Maine on vacation and think nothing is going to happen to thier kids at the beach and let them run/walk for miles without their parents with them ...at ages 6/7...Blows my mind...thank god that man found his daughter back in line! but still popel keep track of your children!!!

everyone have a nice day and enjoy Disney when you can!!! sooner the better!!

MickeyandTink
06-01-2009, 12:28 PM
I think it's partly a cultural issue. In America, we tend to be much more child-centric than many other countries. For example, the couple whose young child disappeared from the hotel room in Portugal a couple of years ago while they were out having dinner. I suspect many on this board would never consider leaving there child alone in a hotel room while they were out, whether it was at Disney or anywhere else. Yet, the fact she was left alone never seemed to raise much concern among the European media or populace.

Just my :twocents: