PDA

View Full Version : POFQ beignets and other food options?

Lakin
05-29-2009, 12:46 PM
I've seen pictures of them online and they look good, but what is exactly on/in a beignet at POFQ? I'm assuming there is nothing in them, but you just can never tell by appearance these days.

To tell you the truth, I've never heard of a beignet until I decided to stay at POFQ and have been doing research. :o

I'm considering this as a food option for when I, my mom, my dad, and sister stay here. Though, unfortunately, my sister has downs syndrome and is not supposed to have wheat. I mean, she can have wheat, but it gives her major moods. What at the POFQ doesn't have wheat in it that she can have? We want to save her wheat splurges for the more fancy places.

PixieMagic
05-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Not sure if they have wheat in them - but they are basically a dough/puff pastry fried with powdered sugar on top....YUMMM!

kakn7294
05-29-2009, 01:47 PM
If you mean in them as in is there something in the middle, the answer is nothing - they are fried dough puffs with air in the middle. They are made with standard flour so how much I don't know how well your sister will tolerate them. This is the ingredient list from another website - it makes 5 dozen:

1 pack dry yeast
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
7 cups flour
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tsp salt
1 cup undiluted evaporated milk
1/4 cup soft shortening oil, for frying
Confectioner's sugar

Lakin
05-29-2009, 02:58 PM
No filling, yay! I'm definitely picking some up, then. And we may give my sister one just to try it, but not too many so she doesn't get too moody.

Thanks so much for the answers! :] I may be able to convince my mom to try something new for once now that I'm sure there is no filling.

missymouseworld
05-29-2009, 05:31 PM
We walked over the POFQ specifically from POR to try them and were disappointed on how greasy they were....I was wishing they were as good as I have read online here. Maybe it was a bad day.

Posterchild
05-30-2009, 01:44 PM
I have had them at the famous place in New Orleans, and at POFQ. They were both delicious. The best way to describe them, is they are almost like a cross between a powdered sugar covered elephant ear, and a powdered doughnut. You cant go wrong with fried dough and sugar (Unless there is bacon involved).

They are messy, I remember being coated with a layer of powdered sugar after having them in New Orleans.

divinedi
05-30-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm with missymouseworld, I'd heard so much on here about how good they were, and was disappointed in them:(, both my daughter and I didn't really care for them at all, and I do like donuts, elephant ears etc. There wasn't anythig wrong with them, just weren't very impressed. It's a personal thing like everything, I'm guessing. But I can say we did try them!

GINNY69
05-30-2009, 09:01 PM
The beignets are really delicious.. They are just like eating a small fried dough with the powder sugar on top.. I can go for one right now.. I say give it try you won't be disappointed.

pixiesmimi
05-30-2009, 09:15 PM
You need to eat them when they are fresh and hot to get the best benefit. They do tend to get soggy or taste greasy if eaten after they have set a little while. But they are still great! I have loved the since our trip to the French Quarter many years ago and even buy the box mix and make them myself. Yumm!

Magic Smiles
05-30-2009, 09:55 PM
The beignets that I ate were filled..............with AIR. Sorry just had to say that. I also don't think that they are as good as most people seem to think. However, upon saying that, I always have them at least once on every trip. Just something that you have to do.

Daddy Mouse
05-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Sounds like they are funnell cakes that are common at fairs.

joelkfla
05-31-2009, 09:43 AM
Sounds like they are funnell cakes that are common at fairs.
Not really, because funnel cakes should be very crispy. Beignets should be soft with a slight crust.

And yes, they can be pretty awful if they're not fresh. If it looks like they've been sitting for a while, don't bother. But if you see a fresh batch coming out of the fryer, jump at 'em.:tasty:

pixiesmimi
05-31-2009, 03:59 PM
Agreed! Funnel cakes are good (and messy) but Beignets are much better, especially with a good cup of coffee!

CPT Trips
05-31-2009, 04:22 PM
Sorry to say, but POFQ beignets just do not compare to the real deal. I don't know why. Dough that has been around to long? Oil that isn't hot enough? Not cooked long enough? For whatever reason they just are a pale imitation.

Daddy Mouse
05-31-2009, 05:23 PM
Agreed! Funnel cakes are good (and messy) but Beignets are much better, especially with a good cup of coffee!

DW is looking forfward to trying them, I'll just drink the coffee.

Lakin
07-30-2009, 08:26 PM
They are messy, I remember being coated with a layer of powdered sugar after having them in New Orleans.

Oh well, gives me something to lick off later. :thumbsup:

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-30-2009, 08:48 PM
DH loves the beignets. They are best when cooked fresh (but, we've NEVER had a problem with this, they always whip up a fresh batch).

It is kinda like a beavertail, only with air in the middle and TONS of powdered sugar, instead of just on top.

Lillabelle00
08-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Never tried them at PO but the ones in New Orleans are wonderful. We have them each time we go. We make them sometimes too. There is a mix that you can buy. If made right, they are awesome.

I LoveJack
08-01-2009, 10:51 PM
UMMMM...... I feel like Homer Simpson :D I always get some when we go to NO and when we go to Disneyland at DTD. Wish they sold them in the parks instead of all the churros. :(

AdventurerKim
08-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Cafe du Monde beignets in N.O. are the BEST!! Not even Disney can duplicate their powdery deliciousness! I had the ones at POFQ, and there is no comparison!

LudwigVonDrake
08-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Beignets = :tasty:

Magic Smiles
08-10-2009, 11:15 AM
UMMMM...... I feel like Homer Simpson :D I always get some when we go to NO and when we go to Disneyland at DTD. Wish they sold them in the parks instead of all the churros. :(

So, are beignets sold in Disneyland, CA? We are headed there in 2 days.

Lizzy
08-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Absolutly delicious and have to have them on my last morning on the way out to head home every trip. Powdered sugary goodness.

Word of caution: One Should Not Breath In While Taking Bite of Beignets from POFQ :blush:

Lakin
08-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Word of caution: One Should Not Breath In While Taking Bite of Beignets from POFQ :blush:

Thanks for the warning. I learn that lesson when I eat my pancakes covered in Powdered Sugar. :D