PDA

View Full Version : Which PDA to buy?

diz_girl
05-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Does anyone out there have a PDA? The Personal Data Assistant, NOT a Public Display of Affection. If so, which one did you get or would or would not recommend. I'm looking for a basic one with a calendar and To Do lists that can be backed up onto a hard drive. I don't think that I need wireless capability, but it's OK if it has it.

I'm looking for something that's not expensive, but I'm not afraid to spend the money if it's good and reliable. Those are my two main criteria - it works well and is reliable. I don't want to have to buy another one in a year because the one that I bought conked out on me. For example, I've heard that the Palm 22 (I think that is the model) is a decent basic model for the money, but has reliability issues.

Also, if you got one, did you buy an extended warranty? I know that for many items a warranty is a waste of money, but what about for something like this that has less than a reliable reputation?

Thank you in advance.

DizneyRox
05-29-2009, 09:52 AM
At this point, I'd look into something like a Blackberry or something. The dedicated PDA is a dinosaur and usually turns out ot be more of a pain than anything. You really want one device that does everything (phone, e-mail, calendar, etc) even though you may not think you do.

As far as an extended warranty. I don't bother with them. If you are prone to breaking/losing phones, a replacement policy might be a good idea.

RBrooksC
05-29-2009, 10:57 AM
I love my Blackberry Storm.

Ian
05-29-2009, 10:59 AM
iPhone. It's the only way to go.

diz_girl
05-29-2009, 01:55 PM
I just got a new cell phone a couple of months ago. I've got Verizon as my service provider, which I like a lot and have had them for over 15 years (even back when the cell-phone service in my area was Bell Atlantic Mobile). So I'm locked into a long-term contract with a new phone, and it seems a waste to get another one so soon. But if I'm going to get a PDA anyway, I might as well get it combined with my phone. I've only just considered the option of a PDA, as I'm a bit of a clutterbug and a paper-holic, so I think that I need to go electronic to organize my life.

Jeff
05-29-2009, 02:01 PM
I agree with the others.
I used to have a Palm (3 different ones over the years) but now have everything in my phone.

DizneyRox
05-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Many times, if you re-up your contract (2 years usually) you are able to tke advantage of some of the "deals". If not, you can usually buy a new phone (retail) and use it under your current contract, usually it's as simple as replacing the SIM card (you may need to add a data plan). Buying a new phone at retail prices is EXPENSIVE usually. Since you're so new on your contract, you may have difficulty.

You can usually pick up reconditioned phone on eBay or whatever.

The new prices of these phones is just insane.

But really, while a PDA sounds interesting, you'll quiclkly tire of charging two items, packing two items, etc.

garymacd
05-29-2009, 09:49 PM
I use a Palm Treo. It is my phone, calendar, planner, phone book, photo viewer, mp3 player, book reader, calendar, email sender and receiver and camera (not great, but okay for quick shots). I can even use it to start, edit and store documents for word, excel and powerpoint.

diz_girl
06-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Thanks guys. When I get one, I'll most likely get one combined with a phone. Although I might need to wait a while until it gets closer to my contract renewal.

DakotaDisney
06-02-2009, 11:46 PM
I am probably part of a small minority, but I am not much of a cell phone user and I am a PDA user. I have had two different Pocket PC's by HP (HP's Ipaq) over the past 7 years and I have loved both of them.

They are going out of style and popularity. Everything is going into the phones, but I am not a big cell phone user and so I don't want a phone in mine and I also want a bigger screen.

If you are going to carry a phone with you, then you may as well go that route with one thing, but if you don't carry your phone with you all the time, like I don't, then go for a PDA.

thrillme
06-03-2009, 09:25 AM
My DH took the plunge and got an Iphone.

This is the most marvelous invention ever. We all love it.

I don't know if the IPOD touch would do all the same (excluding email and web searches of course). But...I know the IPOD touch should be able to download a TON of cheap applications that you could use as a PDA and to "infinity and beyond". They even have an application for a "level", "compass" and a good :beer:.

They both cost about the same (Ipod Touch vrs IPhone) but...the touch is without the monthly "everything" plan service charge . Even though the "everything" plan is expensive...it's great to have at least ONE of the three of us with the actual PHONE...the rest of us just have "regular phones".

My husband LOVES that thing and the plan. It's probably the greatest invention since sliced bread. Especially now that he can "fish" from his "recliner" in front of the TV (Ifish application).

Tink1
06-03-2009, 11:25 AM
I use a Palm Treo. It is my phone, calendar, planner, phone book, photo viewer, mp3 player, book reader, calendar, email sender and receiver and camera (not great, but okay for quick shots). I can even use it to start, edit and store documents for word, excel and powerpoint.

Palm Treo here as well! Love it.

I have an Itouch too, for wifi, that the kids bought me for mothers day.

Nanc

caryrae
06-14-2009, 03:43 PM
I had the Samsung Instinct which was a pretty good phone but once I heard about the new Iphone 3GS's coming on June 19th and the monthly bill was just $5 more a month then what I pay for my Instinct I just had to get it. You can now get a regular iPhone 3G for $99.