PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Ever Had Mastitis?

mjaclyn
05-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Last night I came down with severe achiness all over my body, chills, fever and pain in my left breast. I went to my obstetrician this afternoon and found out that I have Mastitis from breastfeeding my 4 week old son. I feel so sick that I can barely get out of bed to do anything. The doctor perscribed cephalexin (I think - I don't have the bottle at the moment) and said I could also take Tylenol and Advil for the symptoms. I know that taking all of this medicine is supposed to be 'safe' while breastfeeding but I just wanted to be sure. For any of you who have had Mastitis before...do you remember if you continuted to breastfeed while on the medication? My doctor said it was fine but he told me to pump the infected breast for a couple of days...I'm not exactly sure why he said do pump just the one...doesn't the same breastmilk come out of both? That confused me...

Anyway, any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

CleveSJM
05-28-2009, 06:14 PM
My wife had it once during breastfeeding so I am not an expert but I sure can sympathize with you.

The doctor also wanted my wife to pump the infected breast. The baby wasn't eating well from that breast (probably tasted funny or something) and the pumping made sure the infection didn't "linger." You want to get as much milk through the infected breast as possible to help clear up the infection and to keep the milk producing process going.

Hope this helps and get well soon!

Tinkermom
05-28-2009, 10:21 PM
I cringed when I read the title of your thread! Yes, I had mastitis with my second child while breastfeeding. :ill:We were in the process of moving from Delaware to Kansas. The packers showed up at our house in Delaware and my MIL picked me up with our 8 week old son and our 24 month old son to take me back to her house in NJ where we were to stay for 4 days until we flew out to Kansas. DH was monitoring the packing for 3 of the 4 days.

By that first night at my in-laws I felt SO incredibly sick and had pain in my breast. Luckily when I called my OB he was willing to give me antibiotic without me having to go in. I also took Tylenol for the fever (I was up to 103!) and aches/breast pain. My MIL was miserable to me and no help at all. I do not think she understood how sick I was. I was very sick for a good 3 days and was so worried about flying out to Kansas where we knew no one and had no family. We would be staying in a hotel for a week until we could get our stuff and move into our house. I was still feeling pretty yucky when we flew out but I made it! Been here in Kansas 11 years now!

Do be sure to nurse and/or pump the infected breast so that you can keep the milk ducts clear. The MILK is NOT infected just the breast tissue so no worries there! My doctor had told me to go ahead and nurse from the infected breast but to also pump just to be sure it was being emptied. Maybe that is what your doctor meant? Also, DO take your meds. It is the only way you will get better. Tylenol/Advil is fine as long as you are taking the dose recommended by your doctor. It is amazing how sick you feel with mastitits. Hang in there! I can SO sympathize with you! I hope you feel better soon!:hug:

the other micki
05-29-2009, 12:49 AM
I did have mastitis twice with my 2nd son. It felt like I had a mild case of the flu and some pain in the breast. I don't remember taking any kind of medication. I was told to just continue nursing on that side as much as possible and soon it went away. It's miserable, but it usually doesn't last long. Hope you feel better soon!

jrkcr
05-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Yep, been there too. I continued to feed from that side, pumped to make sure it was emptied, applied heat and got some extra sleep. I know-extra sleep sounds impossible...
Hang in there!! :pixie:

BrerGnat
05-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Yep, I had it too, with my second son. It was horrible. The pumping was the worst part...hurt SO badly, but it has to be done.

The milk from the infected breast can have an "off" taste, so the baby won't want to drink it, but the pumping is necessary to clear the ducts and keep milk production going in that breast.

The meds are safe to take, and you can continue feeding from the other side. You may need to supplement with formula, though, since you will have to dump whatever milk you get from the infected breast IF your baby doesn't want to drink it (try, but don't be surprised if baby doesn't want it).

Sorry you are going through this. It is awful, but it will get better. Take lots of HOT showers, putting a hot washcloth over the affected side really feels great, and the shower will help relax you and make you feel better. Lots of fluids, rest, and take the tylenol/ibuprofen round the clock until the pain is gone.

scoot241
05-29-2009, 01:39 PM
Last night I came down with severe achiness all over my body, chills, fever and pain in my left breast. I went to my obstetrician this afternoon and found out that I have Mastitis from breastfeeding my 4 week old son. I feel so sick that I can barely get out of bed to do anything. The doctor perscribed cephalexin (I think - I don't have the bottle at the moment) and said I could also take Tylenol and Advil for the symptoms. I know that taking all of this medicine is supposed to be 'safe' while breastfeeding but I just wanted to be sure. For any of you who have had Mastitis before...do you remember if you continuted to breastfeed while on the medication? My doctor said it was fine but he told me to pump the infected breast for a couple of days...I'm not exactly sure why he said do pump just the one...doesn't the same breastmilk come out of both? That confused me...

Anyway, any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

My wife had it not long after our first child was born. She had it real bad and had to go to the hospital for a night. She also is allergic to penicillin; I forgot what she ended up taking.

I believe she stopped breastfeeding for a few days but continued to pump.

mjaclyn
05-29-2009, 01:50 PM
I really appreciate all of the great comments and advice. I felt so awful yesterday that I had to stay in bed all day which was REALLY difficult with a 2 1/2 yo and a 4 week old. I'm feeling better today...my fever and most of the achiness has gone but I do feel dizzy from the antibiotic. It was hard waking up last night multiple times to feed DS and pump as well, then he wasn't getting enough to eat so he kept crying. I ended up giving him one of the pumped bottles and he was fine with it. I don't think the taste mattered to him at all. LOL Anyway, I hope I feel like myself soon so I can get back into my schedule. Now I'm two days overdue on all of my laundry! *sigh*...

murphy1
05-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Ouch! Yes, they gave me Clindamycin, am also allergic to Penicillin. It's like having the flu, but also with super sore chest! I got it three times. Hang in there~!

RenDuran
05-29-2009, 07:52 PM
I feel for you! I had mastitis several times with my second child. I never stopped nursing him, in fact, I probably encouraged more to help the pain! I applied hot compresses as often as I could. And the doctor told me I could take up to 3 ibuprofen tablets at a time, every eight hours. Can't remember the antibiotics I took anymore.

Kathy Jetson
05-29-2009, 11:20 PM
I stopped breast feeding at 6 weeks because I kept getting it again and again. It hurt so bad. I had to go back to work also so I just went to formula. I hope you feel better soon.:pixie:

nicster
05-30-2009, 12:10 AM
Yes, my experience is similar to so many already posted. What I want to add is this. I was not told to pump, I am sure that would have helped. I was told to take the Tylenol and to use hot compresses (which did give me some comfort). I soon gave up the breastfeeding, and went to the bottle (I still kick myself for not being tougher). The consequences were that with our second child, after a few weeks of breast feeding she would not take the formerly infected side. I am sure that there was scar tissue or some reason that was inhibiting the flow and she would just get frustrated & cry. The good news is; you can breast feed from only one side when you need to. I did it until she was nine months old. Hang in there.

pixiesmimi
06-07-2009, 04:01 PM
DD had it with her second child. She got it right after coming home with the baby and was so sick. I had to leave to go back home and hated leaving her there so sick since she had another small child to take care of. Doctor gave her medication and told her to take Tylenol but I don't remember if he said to pump. But this being her second, I think she did pump on that side anyway because it was too painful to feed the baby on that side. Once she started taking the medication, she started feeling better in a couple of days. I think she got it again a couple of months later but was over it quickly. I never had this with mine but I feel for you. DD was in a lot of pain. Hang in there, it will get better and I think the pumping, as painful as it might be, probably will help you get over it faster.

Georgesgirl1
06-07-2009, 10:10 PM
I never experienced this, but my mom had it when she was breastfeeding me. She ended up giving up breastfeeding because it hurt so bad. She later regretted her decision and wished she would have been "tougher". As other people have said, hot showers and pumping to empty the breast fully will help.

As far as the medicine goes, I was on an antibiotic for a sinus infection while I was breastfeeding and it was fine. Also Tylenol and Advil is fine to take as well. On www.kellymom.com they have a list of medicines you can take while breastfeeding. They also might have ideas on dealing with mastitis and avoiding it in the future. It is a great site!

I hope the medicine starts working soon and you start to feel better.

mjaclyn
06-07-2009, 11:03 PM
I took all of the prescribed medication and felt much better after a couple of days. I'm starting to worry though because I feel sick again and I just got over the Mastitis about a week ago. I'm feeling the way I did right before I got it - chills and body aches. I hope I feel this way just because I'm very very tired from being so busy with the two kids. I'm going to try to rest tomorrow so that I can hopefully avoid getting sick again!!