PDA

View Full Version : Ecv help please ~

EeyoresBestFriend
05-28-2009, 12:32 PM
We are going in December with our elderly parents. I was wondering if anyone has any info on ECVs.
We don't know if getting them when we get to the parks would be enough or should rent one and have it delivered to our resort. We are staying at FQ.
Obviously, we've never had to use one before ~ so any tips or hints on what/how to do it would be greatly appreciated.
I thought there used to be an off site company associated with Intercot but I can't find them.
Any ideas on prices would be great too!
Thanks! :D

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-28-2009, 01:08 PM
We took my Mom to Disney last year, and we rented an ECV from buena vista scooter, and were really happy with it. It was cheaper than renting in the parks each day ($30 or $35/day, depending on the model you choose) and Mom could use it to get around the resort as well.

She enjoyed "scooting" around the resort, exploring both FQ and POR and knowing that we had one for every day was great, as she couldn't have managed without one, and pushing a wheelchair all day would have been a pain (although we would have done it, if needed!)

Daisy'sMom
05-28-2009, 01:19 PM
I would go with Buena Vista Scooters. The parks have raised the rates from what I heard and you will save a few dollars. Not only that, you won't have to take time out at each park to rent one.:mickey:

minniemoomoo
05-28-2009, 02:10 PM
We just returned from a trip and I rented from this website.
scootorlando
They delivered the scooter to the hotel prior to our arrival, they sent me many emails and were very nice and explained everything in the email. I just left it at the concierge desk at the Boardwalk when we left and they were to pick it up later that day. It was in great condition and we couldn't have made it without it. :mickey:

EeyoresBestFriend
05-28-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the help so far.

How do you charge them? Is there a spot in the lobby or something? If it's in a room ~ how do you get them in there? Should I be requesting a ground level room at FQ or do they have handicap accessible rooms? How difficult is is to maneuver off/on the buses? (I think how many times I cursed some of those tourists that dawdle with ECVs :blush:) oh gawd . . .

Ahhhhh . . . . this is scary . . . . . . :confused:

sacandjac
05-28-2009, 03:50 PM
We stayed at AKL and my brother was instructed to leave in the hallway outside of the room. There was a plug there and that's how he charged his. As for the buses, it took some getting used to. The first time he got on the bus, I think he hit everything in sight. We did get a few dirty looks and I heard some negative comments-not too bad. I kept thinking, "Karma can be a ....."

luvmyboys4ever
05-28-2009, 05:57 PM
My wonderful FIL used a scooter for two trips to Disney...both times delivered to the resort. The first time was a nightmare, because we didn't utilize the buses.:( Worst mistake we could have made.
The next time was a breeze. We would drive to the park and the in-laws would use the bus. He did hit many things in the bus trying to park it, but he never noticed anyone giving dirty looks. I'm sure there were looks, but he just doesn't care enough to see if anyone did...lol. He used it around the resorts, DTD and the outlets. He would drive it right into their room and charge it overnight in an outlet, that was under the table. He will never take a trip without an EVC again. He plans on getting one for everyday life.

luvmyboys4ever
05-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Ahhhhh . . . . this is scary . . . . . . :confused:

Don't be scared.:scared: Just plan on taking your time. When we vacation with the in-laws, we adjust to their speed while they are with us. They usually get tired by lunch and go back to their room to relax. That's when we go back to our own pace.:thumbsup:

mickeefan
05-28-2009, 07:28 PM
We always use Buena Vista and their service has been very good. We have used them for our last 6 trips.They are located on property, I believe near the Boardwalk. We rent two ECV's.
When we arrive at the resort they are there waiting for us and when we leave we just leave them at the front desk or valet station.
It is much better to have them all the time. If you depend on getting them at the park you stand the chance that they are all gone,particularly if you park hop.
Another thing to remember is that the distance from your bus stop to your room or the park entrance can be the longest distance for you.

ElenitaB
05-28-2009, 10:27 PM
As your folks have never used an ECV before, I really recommend they spend some time using them around the resort first, before venturing out to the busses and the parks. Also, do not be afraid to let the bus driver guide you... our experience getting one on and off the busses was with my mom. I ended up handling that part of it for her.

Have a wonderful vacation.

peemagg
06-01-2009, 09:17 AM
When backing the scooter on the bus ramp, turn the speed up a bit. I found with mine if I left the speed to low, then the scooter got stuck trying to get on the ramp.

TheDuckRocks
06-01-2009, 12:20 PM
When backing the scooter on the bus ramp, turn the speed up a bit. I found with mine if I left the speed to low, then the scooter got stuck trying to get on the ramp.

Yeah, but the instant you are into the bus, turn it down very low as this is were I've seen people tend to lose control and scare the daylights out of the other passengers.

VolMickey
06-06-2009, 02:12 PM
How do you charge them? . . . :confused:

Though this is an old thread, thought I'd add a suggestion or two. There are often electrical outlets in the restaurants in the parks, should your batteries go down during the day. With a simple courteous request to a CM we never failed to locate a place to charge, when needed.

Normally, I wouldn't have used a scooter, but foot problems sidelined me last trip. Necessity is the mother of invention, as they say.

EeyoresBestFriend
06-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks for all the info and support!

I will be contacting Buena Vista once we cement our dates and making arrangements!

:cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

ransam
06-11-2009, 11:25 AM
i've used one the last 3 years we've gone because of my knees and back....
I've used Walker and was very pleased...but last year we used Randy's Mobilty...and I was blown away. first of all they were MUCH cheaper than any company i called..i got 9 days for exactly $200. the only draw back was most companies will just leave it at the resort and you pick it up when you get there. Randy's wouldn't do that...they wanted to personally deliver it to you. Unfortunately we weren't getting in until after their last drop off. and the next morning we had an early breakfast reservation. I called and Randy himself met us at the resort at 9pm and dropped off the scooter. i had no problems getting it on and off the bus, but once when they were raising it up, the handle caught on something and it ripped the handle...I told Randy about it and he just kind of shrugged and said those things happen. one night it did break down, and within an hour a service guy was at MK and fixed it (this was at like 10 30pm.)....I love good customer service and felt Randy's was awesome so i wanted to give him a little props...