PDA

View Full Version : Avoid Hollywood Studios?

one2goofy
05-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Should we steer clear of the Studios on a Star Wars weekend if we have no desire to participate in any of the SW events?

I'm not sure I'll be able to keep my DD's away from the RNRC or ToT for the first 3 days of our trip!!

How insane will it really be?

Then I suppose I should expect BIG crowds a couple of days afterwards for people who avoided the SW weekend......

Any thoughts? Thanks!:thumbsup:

mitchsfan
05-24-2009, 09:43 AM
When I went back in 2003, I can't remember it being too insane. If I remember correctly most of teh events took place over by he Star Tours Ride area.

If you should go to the Studios during the SWW, the walk up times for some of the attractions you talked about should be short. Everybody will be participating in the SWW events.

crltkcagle
05-24-2009, 10:03 AM
We plan on attending next Sunday! Hope the crowds are too terrible.

disneymom2000
05-24-2009, 03:47 PM
I have a feeling it is going to be worse this year only due to the new Star Trek show coming out which makes everyone Star Wars crazy. I know they are two different shows but the theming has a lot to do with it anyway. Just be prepared.

irish1967
05-24-2009, 07:15 PM
My DH and I went to DHS during a Star Wars Weekend during our anniversary trip in 1995.

Honesty, I don't remember the crowds being that bad, except in the area that the actual events were taking place.

We quickly decided that our two DS would not be getting anything from Tatooine Traders for their "we went to WDW without you" gift.

I think if RNRC and TOT are your primary objectives - you should be fine! You may have to wait to get into the park but "most" of the people will be heading toward the SW events.

Have a great trip!

faline
05-24-2009, 07:52 PM
We found it to be pretty crowded. I think I remember leaving the park after we watched the special Star Wars parade because it was a bit too crazy for us.

It was much calmer on a day outside the special activities. The Star Wars characters were pretty cool to see, though!

sisterdisco
05-24-2009, 08:58 PM
I have never been to DHS on a Star Wars w/e, but.....my thought is.....the Star Wars w/e will draw more people who are Star Wars crazy vs. Disney crazy......I picture people going in dressed like Darth Vader etc.....the draw for that would likely be hanging out in the area of Star Tours.
If you plan not to try to do the Star Wars stuff, then it is probably ok (or at least in the am or when all the SW stuff is going on).
Might just be amusing to "crowd watch"

KatrinaJ91
05-24-2009, 09:28 PM
We were there last summer during Star Wars weekends and it wasn't bad at all. Don't get me wrong, it was crowded but no more than any other summer weekend. We had no trouble at all getting on all our fav rides and even did some of the SW stuff! It was very fun. Go and enjoy! :mickey:

thejens
05-24-2009, 10:38 PM
We only go to Disney during Spring break or the first week after school gets out so we are only used to the busy season, but we didn't think Star Wars weekend was especially bad. I think the true Star Wars lovers get absorbed into the character lines and Star Wars events. I don't remember the lines being worse anywhere else. We always get there at park opening and do the big attractions (TOT, TS, RR) and it works out fine. If it gets too crowded you could always leave after doing your favorites.

elmjimmlm
05-24-2009, 11:11 PM
We went 2 years ago and the crowds were no worse then any other time...Just try not to get caught in the parade traffic...

*goofy'sgirls*
05-25-2009, 08:21 AM
Yes! Last year we happened to attend during Star Wars Weekend and could hardly move. We felt like a herd of cattle. It's a bit insane. There r lines everywhere and soooo many people. It was an experience but we wound up living about 2 hrs after arriving once we saw it was going to be impossible for our family to enjoy the park.

hope2survive
05-25-2009, 09:04 AM
I've been to DHS on several Star Wars weekends and I've never noticed a significant impact on crowd levels. It is a bit more crowded over by the Star Tours area, but overall park attendance doesn't seem to be that much higher.:mickey:

bostomco
05-25-2009, 10:03 AM
DW and me were there during a Star Wars W/E in May 2005. It really was not noticibly busy at all. I think the longest we waited for anything was 30 minutes for the Rock N Rollercoaster. We didn't even need to use any Fast Passes. Maybe we just got a fluke day. :thumbsup:

JRocker
05-25-2009, 02:28 PM
Three of our trips have been during Star Wars Weekends, and I have never noticed MGM being any more crowded on those days than any others.
The Star Tours area, especially the gift shop, is packed, but the rest of the park has always been 'normal', at least from our experience.

There is a morning congestion of all the fans getting into the parks, and then the lines of people waiting to get autograph passes. But, that in itself leaves less people in line at the attractions. At least for the first hour or so.

To make things even better, this year, I believe they plan on doing the autograph fast passes outside of the park.

maxrebo77
05-25-2009, 03:10 PM
i'm guessing which weekend you go and what day of the weekend could make a lot of difference. I think they did that autograph fastpass outside thing last year and it worked out well.

Donro Shelg, HTOWildcat of Citracal
Honorary Star Wars Title