PDA

View Full Version : Horizons and Omnimax Theater? What are those?

azcavalier
05-23-2009, 12:34 PM
I fournd a couple of stations on Live365.com (internet radio) that play nothing but WDW and DL music...you know...the music you hear as you enter Epcot, or are wandering around the different parks/areas. One of the tracks is called Horizons/Omnimax Theater. Is that an older attraction? What is it? Never heard of it.

CAS
05-23-2009, 01:32 PM
The first generation to not remember Horzons? Say it isn't so!!! :( Just kidding. :thumbsup:

Go to the extinct Future World attractions section of Intercot to visit Horizons http://www.intercot.com/themeparks/epcot/futureworld/horizons/default.asp

It was hwere Mission Space now resides. You can google it as well to see how magnificent this attraction was. The Omnimax theater was a giant room where your ride vehicle was suspended in front of 3 huge Imax screens where they displayed videos of all sorts of technological progressions. It was magnificent!

azcavalier
05-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Yeah, we never went to WDW when I was a kid. I had never been before...I don't remember what year it was. 2001? In any case, it was this century, and that ride was long gone.

Of course, now we're going so often that we're making up for lost time.

maxrebo77
05-23-2009, 06:02 PM
I think Horizons closed in 1999. It was a great attraction. A bit of everything EPCOT and pretty much the COP family in the future. The pick your own return ending was classic.

Horizons
all shining and new
where dreams come true

PETE FROM NYC
05-24-2009, 06:46 AM
Where was Omnimax?
I don't recall the name, maybe it had another name?

maxrebo77
05-25-2009, 03:19 PM
I think Omnimax theatre is just what they call the big screens that are part of rides like Horizons, SE, soarin etc.

garymacd
05-25-2009, 06:02 PM
As you wait in line for Mission: Space there is a large space station layout that slowly turns. This was part of Horizons that they managed to salvage for this ride. Horizons also had an underwater and a desert segment. They tied in with parts of Spaceship Earth. The same families were in both. I thought that was really cool.

"Cool." Am I dating myself?

joelkfla
05-25-2009, 10:53 PM
IIRC, Omnimax is (or was) the name used for a curved Imax screen.

I don't recall Disney ever using the name Omnimax; the attraction was Horizons, and the Omnimax screens were just a small part of the ride. It was mostly audio-animatronics.

A unique element was the ride system: an endless loop of suspended cars that moved sideways.

mcjaco
05-27-2009, 12:56 PM
The Omnimax theater was a giant room where your ride vehicle was suspended in front of 3 huge Imax screens where they displayed videos of all sorts of technological progressions. It was magnificent!

Actually, there were only two Omnimax screens. The original plan had three.

Where was Omnimax?
I don't recall the name, maybe it had another name?

They were towards the back of the ride. One showed movie clips, while the other showed a space station.

As you wait in line for Mission: Space there is a large space station layout that slowly turns. This was part of Horizons that they managed to salvage for this ride.

Actually, the only part they salvaged was the pavilion icon in the middle of that. There's a few set pieces at Disneyland Studios in France, like the hovercraft from the orange grove scene.

PixieMagic
05-27-2009, 01:25 PM
I think Horizons closed in 1999. It was a great attraction. A bit of everything EPCOT and pretty much the COP family in the future. The pick your own return ending was classic.

Horizons
all shining and new
where dreams come true

I loved picking the ending!! We would ride multiple times each trip just so we could do each ending!! I miss this ride!!!!

maxrebo77
05-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Of couse we had to ride enough to see all 3 endings:thumbsup: I can see some trouble here though. If I remember right (and I may Not) wasnt there a button for each of 4 people and majority (or fastest to push everyones buttons):thedolls: ruled? Good practice for the Millionaire.