PDA

View Full Version : Reservations Process -Pathetic......

EPCOTGAL1
05-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Yes, trying to book ADR's is short of a "nightmare". Free dining is only good IF you can actually eat somewhere! This morning was my 90 day..called at 7:00, on hold for 50 minutes.... looking for Ohana, LeCellier, Rose & Crown, Wolfgang Puck and Narcoosses. What did I get? Cali Grill in place of Narcoosses. At least I got a comparable...but everthing else either booked or system loading and not showing any reservations...we are only a party of 4 and I was extremely flexible with different times and days.....AHHHHH. Yes, I'll have to call back but I'm not a happy camper right now....ok, I feel a little better now. Nope, I lied....not feeling better:( Hopefully, other folks have better luck. Thanks for letting me vent!

Seasonscraps
05-23-2009, 09:57 AM
I hope you have better luck when you call back.

TheRustyScupper
05-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Yes, trying to book ADR's is short of a "nightmare". Free dining is only good IF you can actually eat somewhere! This morning was my 90 day..called at 7:00

1) But, others have already made ressies for your days.
2) Folks calling with 90+10 can get your days.
3) All the good-hype about 90+10 was premature.
4) Folks didn't realize they could be ousted by others, and days ahead of time.

Anthony007
05-23-2009, 10:02 AM
I agree.....I'm not impressed with the new 90 day rule.

We booked in January without the free dining plan (like we do every year). We should therefore get to make our adrs before all of the free dining people. Thats my opinion though.

Operator
05-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Just curious, do they limit the number of reservations with the dining plan? We are staying off site and booked our ADRs about a month ago and had no problems each morning. We just called and added Rose & Crown this week at 7 without a problem. Each call lasted less than 10 minutes.:confused:

Strmchsr
05-23-2009, 10:11 AM
I know it's frustrating, but if you're going during "free" dining you just need to expect it. If every person at WDW is on the DDP it's going to be difficult to get in to the popular restaurants. That's why I don't go during that promotion. There are comparable or better deals throughout the rest of the year.

I still like the 90 better than the 180 day ADR time frame.

DizneyRox
05-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Also, so others realize... A 4 top (reservation for 4) is a very popular request. There are only so many 4 person tables. There still may be availability for a table for 2, 6, 8, or whatever.

Disney won't reserve you a table for 6, they would rather get another couple meals ($$) if they can.

EPCOTGAL1
05-23-2009, 11:01 AM
all comments valid and quite true....I can't move our anniversary though and we booked BEFORE free dining. Our past trips have presented no issues with Dining but I do realize free dining puts an entirely different spin on things in addition to the new rules in reservations. I'm just thankful to be going, but I just wish their system was a little better....you'd think so with the volume they do...?? go figure? :pout:

jcvalenti
05-23-2009, 12:30 PM
There's obviously a massive problem with the dining ADR system, and I think Disney is slitting its own throat with the free dining promotion.

I know several very wealthy families who routinely dropped in the neighborhood of $15 - 20K a year on Disney trips (usually concierge level at Yacht Club) who have said they will not be going back for several years, it at all, because (a) it was almost impossible to get reservations and (b) they believe the quality of dining across the board has absolutely plummeted (both in terms of selection and preparation) ever since the dining plan was introduced.

I know that our group had to scrape and claw for our ressies from 6/15 to 6/25, and we're cancelling plans to go back next year because of the hassle. We'll wait until they sort it out.... and if the quality continues the downward trend we noticed the last two trips, it's going to be even longer than that.

Seasonscraps
05-23-2009, 01:17 PM
There's obviously a massive problem with the dining ADR system, and I think Disney is slitting its own throat with the free dining promotion.

I know several very wealthy families who routinely dropped in the neighborhood of $15 - 20K a year on Disney trips (usually concierge level at Yacht Club) who have said they will not be going back for several years, it at all, because (a) it was almost impossible to get reservations and (b) they believe the quality of dining across the board has absolutely plummeted (both in terms of selection and preparation) ever since the dining plan was introduced.
I know that our group had to scrape and claw for our ressies from 6/15 to 6/25, and we're cancelling plans to go back next year because of the hassle. We'll wait until they sort it out.... and if the quality continues the downward trend we noticed the last two trips, it's going to be even longer than that.

I dont drop 5 figures on vacation but I feel the exact same way about the dining plan and what it's done to disney dining. I would rather go to the non-disney restaurants in the Swan/Dolphin/DTD that have much better selections and stellar service.

PixieMagic
05-23-2009, 02:05 PM
I am so sorry - I 110% agree with you! I have never had this much trouble and it's upsetting....the new reservation system has been more problem than solution....

SheLovesDisney
05-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Keep calling! These restaurants are not fully booked...the available slots have just not been put into the system yet. I too called for my ADRs today and found almost everything to be unavailable. However, I was told that the new system has not been fully updated for the end of August yet. Some places are in the system, but many are not.

I was told that the problem was supposed to be addressed today, but we'll see. The good news, I guess, is that you still have a chance of getting what you want.

EPCOTGAL1
05-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Well, I did it! I cannot believe I called 14 times! Yes, 14... but it paid off. So, although I thought all hope was gone....let my experience help others and with the advice from others....keep calling!!! :thumbsup:

Kona Cafe Dinner (wanted Ohana but nothing avail at ANY time) will keep trying with this.
Rose & Crown - Dinner (only one open)
Grand Floridian Cafe - Dinner
Wolfgang Puck - Dinner
Cali Grill - Dinner (in time for Wishes)
Le Cellier - Lunch before we head home - no dinner times avail!!

Seasonscraps
05-23-2009, 07:05 PM
Fantastic!!! :thumbsup:

Jodi
05-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Our 90 day mark was yesterday. The first time I called at 7:00a.m. was on hold for an hour and a half only to be able to book one resie and none of the others were in the system yet. The CM was less than helpful or sympathic, just stating, "You will have to call back." Just what I wanted to do after being on hold for that amount of time. Called back, got thru in about 30 minutes, this CM was a bit more helpful, again, only able to get one more resie. Called back a 3rd time and at least this time they said for the end of August,they were working on system enhancements and we should call back. Thank you for an answer !! Called back 4th time, mid afternoon, asked right out if computers were working properly at this time, the answer was, "yes." Thank you!! This CM was VERY nice and we got all of the ADR's that we wanted, even at decent times. The only slight disappointment was, we got LeCellier for lunch when we preferred dinner, but, we'll take it !!!! :thumbsup: No, we are not rich and cannot afford to pay for the dining plan, but, would never be able to eat at these nice restaurants without the free dining. If they offer it, of course we will take advantage of it. Thank you Disney.

BelleLovesTheBeast
05-27-2009, 03:10 PM
This is good to know. We are paying for the deluxe DDP and I would hate not to be able to get some of the restaurants that I really want. Especially considering I'm paying for them. I've got one month before I can call and will start dialing a little before 7.

maxrebo77
05-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Nightmare is the right word. I have been through this before. Did you book though a TA, they should have done this for you.

statrai
05-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Tried booking our dining yesterday called at 7am about 20 minute wait. Spent an hour on the phone couldn't get The Garden grill and could only get lunch at Tony's and 50's cafe no luck with the spirit of Aloha did get lunch at The liberty Tavern. Tried again tonight. They had problems with the computers, when they were working nothing available for the Spirit of Aloha. Seems like table service will be lunch and counter service for dinner. I will keep trying. Like my wife said what good is free dining if you have nowhere to eat. We origionally were scheduled for only the 4 day land and 3 day sea package, when free dining was offered we added a week before the cruise package. We were debating adding the dining plan for the 4 days land portion and have our meal at the Poly where we are staying, but with the lack of availability of places to eat not sure it is worth it. Since we will have our van we mIght eat outside of Disney.

ElenitaB
05-27-2009, 11:22 PM
I just wanted to pipe in that I called on Tuesday and was able to get everything I wanted within 1/2 hour of our preferred time. Granted, I was going after one of the hotly pursued ADRs (Le Cellier, etc.) but I guess I was lucky. I called promptly at 7:00 and the system correctly told me I would have a 25 minute wait. Of course, I heard from friends who are travelling the same week as we are that the system was down later that day.

EPCOTGAL1
05-28-2009, 06:24 AM
Nightmare is the right word. I have been through this before. Did you book though a TA, they should have done this for you.

Yes, I booked through MJ and they are GREAT. I just didn't want to burden my TA because I knew that I would change dinners to lunches and move days around, move times around to be flexible and it would have been more confusing to have her do this. The double-booking thing which I've been reading about is a bit concerning and I'm sure contributing to the problem. I've just never experienced this before with dining as all past ressies were made without a problem and I needed to vent last Saturday. Great news though for everyone who IS getting through. Maybe the strategic move IS to call during the day and NOT at 7:00 AM.??

thrillme
05-28-2009, 04:12 PM
I personally would like to see the whole dining plan go away. Along with this 90 day window.

I much much much preferred the OLD days where you made reservations the day you got there. Somehow it worked out well that it was never over crowded and you could eat when you wanted too or within 2-3 hours if you were a walk up.

I despise going on vacation...checking the watch to make sure I'm in the RIGHT park or I'm leaving the park at "X" time to hopefully catch the shuttle to make to the hotel where the reservations are or to make it back to my hotel to make it to the RIGHT park in time. ARGGGH...

I ought to be able to stroll up to whereever I want to be and have them seat me anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours. This whole reservation 90 days out just makes me frustrated to the MAX. How am I supposed to know when we're going to be hungry???

DisneyWFan
05-29-2009, 07:04 AM
I called on my 90 day mark @ 7:00AM and waited 20 min made my ressies for the first 10 days of my 14 day trip got everything I wanted called the next day @ 7:00 AM for day 11 waited 20 min got what I wanted Called the next day @ 7:00 Am for day 12 waited 20 min and again got what I wanted called 2 days later @ 7:00 AM for days 13&14 waited 10 min and got what I wanted called last night @ 9:30 PM to and an oop dinner and again I got what I wanted so I don't see what all the complaints are about but I called 5 times waited 20 min got everything I wanted All the CM were friendly and helpful and they all said that they haven't had many problems with the new system

ADR'S as follows

Chef Mickey's twice
1900 Park Fare twice
Crystal Palace
Boma
LeCellier
Sci-Fi
Garden Grill
Tusker House
Hollywood & Vine
Whispering Canyon Café Dinner
Cape May Café Breakfast
Kona
O'hana

Menai2WDW
05-29-2009, 10:21 AM
All these problems really worry me. We have had no trouble getting the reservations we wanted in the past but it sounds like getting them for our trip in October might be different.

Calling from the UK and having to make multiple calls and be on hold for so long is going to cost me as much as a meal!

TwinniesNMeLoveWDW
05-29-2009, 12:57 PM
Hmm...I had no problems, called @ 7, waited 30 min, then got everything I wanted, on the days I wanted, to within 30 min of the time I wanted, using the free DDP. I'm happy about that, however, I also don't feel that being able to eat at certain restaurants will make or break my vacation.

offwego
05-29-2009, 01:53 PM
The one thing I would mention is that you must have your confirmation number in hand (in the past you could have them look it up via your phone number to your ressie but this no longer works)

Wait times for my DH (who bless him did the calls) were at there highest at the 7am time (45 minutes to be told without the confirmation number that our TA normally gives us at booking but we didn't have yet as she was emailing it to us) to call back when we had..called back wait time was much less in the evening (around 15 minutes or less even) no real issues all of our places within a half our of our ideal times.

The next day with a minor change to the group size the system was down for a signficant chunk of the day (3 different calls) and then his wait time was only 10 minutes when it was up and he moved it to within 10 minutes of the orginal time for the new larger group.

Our only irk was now using the ressie instead of the phone number linking to the ressie, needing to provide full address and the spiel being said for each adr even though the numbers are only provided at the end (could the spiel not be said then?)

overall pretty good though.

joonyer
05-29-2009, 04:21 PM
The reservations system is a joke.

ElenitaB
05-29-2009, 07:31 PM
The new system is actually growing on me. Part of the issue we're all having is that they have to re-enter us into the system with a good chunk of new information (such as reservation number which I never had to give as a DVC member), address and phone. Apparently, it really IS a new system. Once the initial kinks get worked out, it may show to be better.

I agree with Offwego... we had little problems getting ADRs for where we wanted, withing 1/2 hour of the times we wanted. Of course, we weren't going for CRT or Le Cellier. But we did book a large group at 'Ohana, and then that same large group at GG (the one that needed 3 phone calls until the system was up again).

It will be interesting to see how the "going live to the general public" adventure plays out.

As for "how do I know when I'm going to be hungry," there are restaurants here in NYC that you must book months and months out. If there's someplace you're set on eating at, I believe you need to plan for it.

jillluvsdisney
05-31-2009, 07:33 PM
It's too bad you can't make ADRs over the Internet. In this day and age it has to be a possibility. I have never experienced problems getting what I wanted and when I wanted it but we do not go during the free dining promotion.
All these stories do not persuade me to ever try it either.