PDA

View Full Version : First trip dinner suggestions

ananda
05-22-2009, 09:00 PM
This is the first time we are going to Disney yay: Our flight is getting in around 12 in the afternoon. I want to check in, unpack, maybe swim and go somewhere in MK for dinner. A lot of places are booked already (Chef Mickeys, Tony's, Crystal Palace...) any suggestions for somewhere that might not be booked yet, but that is a nice first experience for us when we get there. I have two daughters 5 & 7. Thanks.

irish1967
05-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Hmmm - where are you staying and when are you going?

Maybe the Kona Cafe in the Polynesian would be a good choice for a first night dinner. It is a short monorail ride away from the MK and I love the theming of the Polynesian.

(I am biased, Kona Cafe is my favorite restaurant in Disney World!)

pokci
05-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Welcome to Intercot - and how exciting!!:coaster:

Depending on the time of year you go, there are lots of great places to start your adventure. If you want to stay near Magic Kingdom for dinner, think about the top of the Contemporary Resort, California Grill for an unbeatable view of the MK and the fireworks if you time it right. You could also start at the Polynesian, book dinner at O'hana where the kids can take part in some great games and singing while parents eat and then walk out on the beach and watch the Electrical Water Pageant and hang around for the MK fireworks. When you call for dining, the cast member can help you figure out times to make all of this work. This way you're not utterly overwhelmed by the Magic Kingdom the first day and with only hours instead of a full day but still get to feel the magic and get an overview!

Have a great time! This is the right place for all the info you need!

ananda
05-22-2009, 09:20 PM
We are going Aug 19-24 and we are staying at All-Star Music. I just want a place in MK so the girls can look at the castle the first night and maybe walk around a little bit. We will have been up since 4:30am so we will need to go to bed early!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dmosher
05-22-2009, 09:55 PM
I would say, see if you can get a reservation for a buffet at Crystal Palace. You will then be in MK, near the castle and if you leave you may miss the fireworks that night, but you can always come back. If you know you are going to bed early, stuff yourselves with a nice filling buffet and then head back to the hotel for a looong sleep.
:pipes:
D

the other micki
05-22-2009, 10:02 PM
There's Liberty Tree Tavern. I really like this place. It's family-style and very yummy. :thumbsup: You can always eat at a counter service that first night, if you're having trouble getting an ADR. Cosmic Ray's is good, as well as Pecos Bill's.

OogieBoogieMan
05-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Try to get a reservation at Artist Point. We were down last week and got reservations at the last minute fairly easily and found out they were available the next night as well. As usual the food and service were awesome. We find the pricing to be middle of the road with regard to the higher tier restaurants (that is a good thing:party:) and the Pac NW wine list is first rate. I suspect that the recent economic downturn may be affecting bookings so it is a great time to try it out!

Nicki'sMom
05-23-2009, 07:39 AM
I know things are booked up cuz I will be there at that time too. Have you made any dining yet? I would maybe try Tony's. I think it is right on Mainstreet USA.

PopeCharming
05-23-2009, 08:00 AM
Kona may not be in the Magic Kingdom, but I think it may be the best choice- a fun, tropical menu, and without all the busyness of 'O'Hana'- (which isn't a bad restaurant by any means, but you all might be too exhausted to enjoy it after such a long flight and a long day in the parks).

DisneyWFan
05-23-2009, 08:27 AM
1900 Park Fare I know it is not in the park directly but it is on the monorail @ the Grand Floridian depending on the time you could be in MK & then jump to dinner or after dinner go to MK also don't hesitate to keep calling people cancel & maybe you will be lucky enough to get a spot. Have a great trip

VWL Mom
05-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Being it's your first trip counter service might be a good choice just because your girls may be too excited to sit through a full meal.

That aside, the Plaza Restaurant may have availability. Not fancy but good sandwiches, burgers, & salads. Great milkshakes!

Coach Rick
05-23-2009, 11:41 AM
I strongly recommend Cosmic Ray's (no reservation needed) in Tomorrow Land. It has, without doubt the best menu of all the counter services. You can get a nice bbq half chicken and ribs with mashed potato and veggies for $13.99, then head over to Monsters Laugh Floor for a good laugh, and then to bed for a much needed rest for what you are about to jump into! :thumbsup:

ananda
05-23-2009, 12:26 PM
I like this idea the most. I will cancel my reservations at Crystal Palace and go to Cosmic Ray's instead. ... Now that frees up another Table service... more thinking. My brain is tired and I am not going until August!!