PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof Casts?

MaryPoppinsFan
05-21-2009, 11:25 PM
question for all you medical personal out there. My son was diagnosed with a boxer fracture last night and is seeing an orthopedic surgoen tomorrow. he hit the wall at school last Friday, threw shot-put at the regional track trournament (and won!) on Saturday, was confirmed on Sudnay and spent 3 days at Cedar Point. now we head to Florida 2 weeks from tomorrow and our condo is right on the gulf.
he is worried about being able to go swimming. I looked online adn saw articles about waterproof casts. has anyone had one of these, or worked with these casts? do they really work and how expensive are they? hoping to have a little bit of info before heading to the doctors tomorrow.:doctor:

THANKS

deedeebee
05-22-2009, 05:04 AM
My DD had one and it wasn't any more expensive than any other type of material, She went swimming almost every day until it was removed.:thumbsup:

kakn7294
05-22-2009, 08:32 AM
They shouldn't cost you any more than the regular casting materials - and if you have insurance, it should pick up the cost and you shouldn't have any additional amount to pay. My DD couldn't have one when she broke her arm several years ago because she had surgery with her injury and had an incision under her cast. In the case of a closed injury (no open skin), a waterproof cast should work just fine.

Mickey'sGirl
05-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Our youngest broke his arm last summer and we inquired about a waterproof cast for him (we were heading to DL and swimming was to be part of that). The orthopedic surgeons who looked after him told us in no uncertain terms that there is no such thing as a waterproof cast. That even the ones that can get wet, still need to dry out completely every time, and have the limb dry out properly to avoid chaffing, irritation, mildew and bacterial growth. He recommended getting a fibreglass cast, and bagging it instead. So that's what we did ... Thankfully DS got his cast removed the day before we left for California!

MaryPoppinsFan
05-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. we saw the orthopedic surgeon today and he said my son's type of cast wouldnt lend itself well to a waterproof one. he did say the break wasnt too bad and we go back on June 4th and he'll see about putting a removeable cast on for our trip on the 5th. here's hopin he'll be able to do that.

Donald A
05-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Xerosox.com makes a waterproof cast cover. This is NOT however covered by insurance. I don't know if I would actually submurge it but it is pretty air tight from what I have heard. Check it out at Xerosox.com and see if you can get one rushed to you. BTW I don't work for xerosox and actually rarely use them as I am scared that, as a podiatrist, my patients need to be non-weight bearing and if I let them use one they will walk on the cast or stand on it in the shower. I don't want that. So I am not sure how they work.

Disneyatic
05-25-2009, 09:02 PM
My DD9 fractured the growth plate in her heel right before July 4th last year and had to have a cast from the shin down....
we bought one of those water sock, waterproof cover things for her cast (they had them for sale at the office where she got her cast done) and it worked great! It is a thick rubber material. They had them for arms and legs and all different sizes.
You put it on over the cast, just past the cast up to the skin and then it has a pump that pumps the air out and seals it.
She used it in the pool, in the lake and in the bathtub.
It is easy to tell if it's sealed and the seal does not break easily. I think it was like $40

I just looked at the box, it's called Waterproof Dry Pro and is a division of Xero Products....

drummerboy
05-25-2009, 09:21 PM
See what happens when you quickly scan to topic headings--at first I thought you were asking about waterproof cats and that reallly got me to wondering... :blush:

princessgirls
05-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Xerosox.com makes a waterproof cast cover. This is NOT however covered by insurance. I don't know if I would actually submurge it but it is pretty air tight from what I have heard. Check it out at Xerosox.com and see if you can get one rushed to you. BTW I don't work for xerosox and actually rarely use them as I am scared that, as a podiatrist, my patients need to be non-weight bearing and if I let them use one they will walk on the cast or stand on it in the shower. I don't want that. So I am not sure how they work.
This did not work well for my 5-year old daughter. It basically created a vacuum around the cast, by sucking the air out, and was so tight that it hurt. Also, water got in. It's meant for someone maybe taking a shower or lounging in the pool, not a child, cannonballing and jumping in and out of the pool...LOL!
Although our Orthopedic Dr. was against the waterproof cast, and did not stock the materials, but I was able to get the manufacturer to send them as a sample. My daughter needed to be recasted, but it was worth it to me!! I turned him into a believer! 3 weeks of swimming, and the arm looked great when the cast came off. Praise God! I might mention that my daughter had a routine fracture of the wrist. Nothing crazy.
Julie:mickey:

luvmyboys4ever
05-28-2009, 02:42 PM
My DH broke his foot right before our trip to the Dells. We stayed at a water-park resort...the whole trip revolved around water! We bought a XeroSox and it saved his trip. It was tight, but kept everything bone dry. He also used it in the shower.