PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic! Dining -- Is it worth it?

alistairhastings
05-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Hello everyone!

First post ever.

My friend and I are going to WDW this June - July and we are super excited.

We wanted to have two "nice" dining experiences. One of them in the castle, as for the other one we were considering Fantasmic!

I've been reading some information all over the net, and it seems to be conflicting. Some people say it's great, some other people say it is not worth it.

Advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

beksy
05-21-2009, 06:05 PM
I've never been to Fantasmic and am still considering it for our upcoming trip. I just wanted to say :welcome: to Intercot and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! :mickey:

IamBelle
05-21-2009, 06:08 PM
Do you mean the Fantasmic Dinner Package? If you do, the places you can go for the package are the Hollywood and Vine Buffet, Mama Melrose's, or the Brown Derby. We do this every year. When you eat there the night of the show, they give you a ticket thing to show to get seats at Fantasmic. We did it one year w/o the package, and we had to squeeze into any seat we could find, but w/ the package, you sit on the right in reserved seating, so you don't have to hunt for a seat, althought it is still crowded.

Pirate Granny
05-21-2009, 08:11 PM
You need to BOOK right away...I called 90 days out for reservations and there was only ONE Fantasmic Package left...a dinner at 4:10...I've called back every so ofter to no avail.

BOOK something NOW...especially if you are only a month away.

Have a wonderful time -- 4 days -- 9 hours :D

:pirate:

Basket Mommy
05-21-2009, 09:07 PM
I've done it both ways and I can say no, it's not worth paying for the package. We got much better seating just by skipping the big, expensive dinner and just showing up early for the show.

CardsFan81
05-21-2009, 09:44 PM
WELCOME! The reserved seating area for dinner package people isn't great. I'd recommend just seeing the show a la carte. It's a good show and definitely worth seeing if you can fit it into your schedule.
:mickey:

wdwnomad
05-21-2009, 10:16 PM
From what I have been hearing it might be worth it if you don't want to wait. With the reduced number of shows going on now it is not uncommon for people to start lining up 2 hours before show time. Eventually the stadium will fill up. With the dining package and the reserved seating you need to get there like around 45 minutes before showtime. You can go in later but at some point the CM's take down the ropes for the section and anyone can then sit there. I think it comes down to as how valuable is your time?

alistairhastings
05-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Thank you so much for all your replies, you're very helpful.

I've confirmed my suspicions and since we're on a budget I think we'll pass on the Fantasmic! dinner package this time.

I now have another question to pose to you. If we are to have two "special" dining experiences (preferably character) -- where should it be?

I was thinking Chef Mickey's and Cinderella's royal table.

Any tips, recommendations and observations would be greatly appreciated!

mom2mickeyfan
05-21-2009, 11:36 PM
I've never been to either so I can't offer any advice. All I can say is that I have been trying to get a breakfast at Chef Mickey's for our June 7 - 14 trip for 3 or 4 weeks and there isn't anything open for the 2 days I have been searching for. I did get a ADR for my mom and niece at Cinderella's Royal Table for breakfast before the park opens for June 13. But I made that in Dec.

So I wish you luck with either choice you make with your trip coming up so quick. Hope you get the ones you want! :mickey:

Hull-onian
05-22-2009, 08:37 AM
:welcome: to Intercot.

No.:thumbsup:

SFD998
05-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Whatever you decide like a previous poster mentioned you need to book it NOW!

Back to your original question I have done the Fantasmic show both ways and have only done the dining package version because we use the dining plan and the extra cost was included in the prepaid dining package. Either way it is a good show to try and fit in if you can.

As far as "special" dining experiences I have been to both of the ones you mentioned. Chef Mickey's is extremely popular and you may have to be willing to work your schedule around whatever time they have left if any at all. I would definitely recommend breakfast over dinner there. I really don't like the food at dinner, which is why we switched to breakfast. The breakfast selection is pretty good. The kids didn't mind it either way, but since I am the one paying I get to pick.:thedolls:

The same goes for Cinderella's Royal table. You may be hard pressed to find a reservation there too. Another character stop we always make is the Crystal Palace. The characters there are Winnie the Pooh and friends so I don't know if that is what you are looking for, but the breakfast there is pretty good as well. Plus unlike Chef Mickey's it is located right in the MK so there is no need to have to worry about getting back and forth for certain times, because you will already be in the park.

This one isn't a character dining experience, but we always eat at Le Cellier in Canada. Also very hard to get an ADR. It is pricey, but so are the character meals. We always get the filet and ask for the mashed potatoes instead of the risotto. If you can get in I would be surprised if you didn't like it.

P.S. if you do get in and like chocolate have the chocolate "moose".

SingingLights
05-22-2009, 09:18 AM
We have done breakfast and dinner at both CRT and Chef Mickey. It is a great experience no matter when you go but our family prefers breakfast at both. We have a 10.5 year old girl now, who will be making her 12th trip to WDW in December and she will turn 11 while we are there, who loves all the princesses at the breakfast of CRT. Cinderella, Pince Charming and the Fairy God Mother are the only character there for dinner. At breakfast there are usually five princess and Cinderella is always there. Our favorite character over the years at the breakfast was Esmarelda from the Hunchback, she was wonderful and took lots of time with each child in the restuarant.

Don't miss Fantasmick. It is the best evening show on WDW property. You will see lots of characters, fireworks, movie clips, and much more. It is great. We get there early with the masses. We try to get a good seat in the middle and then I go and purchase hot dogs, chips and sodas for dinner and we talk to all the people around us until the show starts. Disney is such a great place, with such great families attending, we have made friends we stay in contact with via e-mail.

Have a great time and enjoy!!!

JPL
05-22-2009, 09:51 AM
My logic on the package is simple I am not paying anything extra over the price of dinner and I get a seat without waiting sure it might be the ideal perfect view but still better than wasting time lining up early. I usually do H&V which is the cheapest of the options and find it to be a nice relaxing dinner and then a show.

alistairhastings
05-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks for all your comments!

I think I'll go with Chef Mickey's for dinner and the Royal Table for breakfast.

I'll see if we can get reservations. I didn't know they were so hard to get.

#1donaldfan
05-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks for all your comments!

I think I'll go with Chef Mickey's for dinner and the Royal Table for breakfast.

I'll see if we can get reservations. I didn't know they were so hard to get.

Welcome to INTERCOT......I think those are great choices.....great food and fun...

about Fantasmic....do the show, just don't do the dinner package thing....from what I'm reading it's not worth it anymore, there's just not enough shows anymore.....it's called reserved seating, however many have commented that once there, they were turned away......??? anyway, please do not miss that show....it's one of the best nighttime shows EVER ..... a must see for us every year....:mickey:

alistairhastings
05-22-2009, 03:45 PM
I called and I'm sad to say that I couldn't get reservations to those places.

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-22-2009, 03:54 PM
We tried the pkg and December and it was nice to have the guaranteed seats....however, the dining choices are limited (H&V, Mama Melrose's or Brown Derby)...now that they have cut down on the nights Fantasmic shows, I would get the package if I had my heart set on seeing the show.:mickey:

KylesMom
05-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Unfortunately with the shortened Fantasmic! schedule, the dining packages are going QUICK. We tried at 90 days & had to switch the date since they were all sold out. We've been doing the package at Mama Melrose for years and have never had a problem before this year.

I called and I'm sad to say that I couldn't get reservations to those places (Chef Mickey's & Royal Table).
I highly recommend you peruse the menus & choose a few new places - and then call Disney Dining to check availability. For a character dinner, you might have luck at The Garden Grill in Epcot. Good luck!

Checkers
05-22-2009, 05:28 PM
:mickey:You might try 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian for dinner. You have Cinderella, Prince Charming, Fairy Godmother & Evil Stepsisters who perform and it is a hoot! The buffet is one of the best, imho, in all of Disney. I also agree that the Crystal Palace is excellent for breakfast.

Good luck with your reservations!

Tigger&Stitch
05-22-2009, 09:14 PM
We love the Crystal Palace for dinner, and O'Hanas for breakfast (both character meals). I hear Crystal Palace is great for breakfast too.

Good luck! You can always stop by any of those places once you are in the parks in case there is a cancelation/no-show.

wdwnomad
05-22-2009, 10:24 PM
I've been to my fair share of character meals. My favorites are Stich's breakfast at Ohana's in the Polynesian and Donald's at Tusker House in the Animal Kingdom. Both of them have very good food and are farily easy to get to if you are relying on Disney transport.

alistairhastings
05-23-2009, 12:09 AM
I'll try and see if I can get reservations to 1900 Park Fare.

Thanks!

rsulli61
06-03-2009, 04:04 PM
The Fantasmic Dining Plan is no longer worth the cost. They have made it so that you no longer have a separate entrance and still need to be there 75 to 90 minutes early to get a good seat. There are also not enough workers to monitor the crowds. Last night, we saw tons of people just ignoring the ropes and sitting in the "reserved" section without the dining plan passes. The worker (yes there was now only 1 worker) monitoring the section could do nothing about it. She was trying to get people to not sit but they ignored her and just did their own thing. It was very frustrating to those of that have done the experience in the past and found it to be a great value.

Long story short, Disney needs to either enforce the Dining Plan policies or get rid of it!! :mad:

mouseketeer mom
06-03-2009, 07:51 PM
This is worrying me. We booked Mama Melrose on the package for August. We have only seen Fantasmic once, that was back in 2004, so we are excited to see it again. I know for certain if we go to our dinner, we won't be lining up early for the show. That to me, defeats the whole purpose. Is this true, that even with the package, you have to line up early?? Then how can Disney justify that? You call early, you arrive for your dinner, you should be able to show up 20 mins before the show and get a seat. Now I'm not certain about keeping the fantasmic package on our agenda.

Tinkpink
06-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Regarding Fantasmic...it appears that changes have come! Guests have been reporting no special entrance and no reserved seating. I think the "usefuleness" of the package is gone. Without those benefits, what is the value of the package?

If you want to go, you may want to schedule some "stand in line time" into the day and skip the package.

It is a great show!

Disney_Barbie
06-04-2009, 12:06 PM
From what I have been hearing it might be worth it if you don't want to wait. With the reduced number of shows going on now it is not uncommon for people to start lining up 2 hours before show time. Eventually the stadium will fill up. With the dining package and the reserved seating you need to get there like around 45 minutes before showtime. You can go in later but at some point the CM's take down the ropes for the section and anyone can then sit there. I think it comes down to as how valuable is your time?

Well said!
Our upcoming trip will be the 3rd time we've done the Fantasmic dinner package, we had mixed feelings about if we wanted to book it or not. But we finally decided on yes. In our experience, we've noticed that it changed alot over the past couple of years, and perhaps that's where you're reading conflicting reviews.

3 years ago we did it for the first time, and recommended it to EVERYONE. It was literally Disney's best invention since Epcot :mickey: We ate at Mama Melrose, and literally we got so much food, it would have been a bargin even if fantasmic wasn't involved (since then they changed it, but back in the day it was more than just app, entree & dessert. I think it was flatbread, app, entree & dessert, or something like that) While sitting there we glanced at the menu and relized we saved like $25 even without the special entry to Fantasmic. We used the "special entrance" to get into the theater just about 20 mins before fantasmic started & had STELLER seats. We couldn't say enough good things about it.
However, a year later we did it again, the entrance to Fantasmic & seating was equally as wonderfull, however Mama Melrose went dreadfully down hill! They limited the Fantasmic menu down to just app,entree & dessert (which was ok, the last time was too much food anyway). But gave you a VERY selective menu of options. Plus the overall food/service of Mama Melrose, was just VERY down hill in our opinion. At the time Brown Derby seemed to fancy for our taste, and we don't do buffets, we figured we'd never end up doing the Fantasmic package again. The following year, we stood in line (we refuse to stand in line for ANYTHING longer than like 50-ish mins, so we were in the "standing room only" section.) Which was fine, we have no kids or anything, so it did the trick, satisfied our Fantasmic-need.

Rumor has it that it has even taken an other turn for the worse, and it's said around these boards that there is no longer a separate entrance to enter the theater. However, despite all this, we're gonna try it again.
Our tastes have matured a bit since then & Brown Derby menu is begining to sound good to us. We figure even without the special entrance, we can still walk into the theater 50 mins in advance get really good seats,which seems like it would be impossible otherwise, especially since Fantasmic is only showing twice that week!
Our 70-ish mins of not-having to stand in line is well worth the $ to us. Along with the guarentee of a seat (ya'know as long as we're there before the 45 min mark) especially since the showings are so scarce this trip, it's imperitive to me that we make it in to this show. Actually we probably would have skiped it if there was a showing of Fantasmic every night, but since it's so limited, we wanted to guarentee our spot! That's our reasoning at least.

Disney_Barbie
06-04-2009, 12:18 PM
still need to be there 75 to 90 minutes early to get a good seat

Wow!
(sorry to double post, I guess I should have read everyone else's comment before writing my post)
But serioulsy? Has anyone done the fantasmic package recently & can confrim the "instructions" doesn't your server tell you what to do or doesn't it say what to do on that paper? I can deal w/ having to be inside the theater 45 mins in advance (which is what I thought was the new rules) but do you really have to get in line 90 mins in advance???) I don't care about a "good" seat, as long as it is a seat we're fine with it. Are we talking 90 mins in order to be in the front of the reserved section??? Or 90 mins just to get into the reserved section?

Mushu11756
06-04-2009, 12:36 PM
My family and I are still waiting for WDW to post times for our mid September trip and we were interested in the Fantasmic dinner package as well. There's alot of mixed review's on it's worth but as far as the show is concerned is it ok for a 2 year old?:confused: