PDA

View Full Version : Toy Story Mania- Is it true?

disneynarula
05-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Is the FP situation as bad as they say? Do they give out FP during EMH?

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-21-2009, 03:02 PM
No!

Although we weren't there at a super-busy time, we had no issues wtih TSM.

We arrived a little after opening both days (before 10am), and got FP for 1:30pm one day and 3:30pm another day. DD and I were also able to ride stand-by with about a 40 minute wait.

So, it might be a bit crazy at opening, and the FP's were all gone around 1ish, so get them early, but it isn't like you have to sell your firstborn or anything!

SBETigg
05-21-2009, 03:16 PM
It's a very popular attraction. When we were there at park opening on an EMH morning day, the FP line looked longer than the attraction queue (deceptive, because the attraction queue wraps around inside). It must have been later than the regular opening time, because they were giving out Fastpasses. We rode twice, 20 minute wait both times, and by the time we finished our second ride, it wasn't even ten am yet and the FP return time was up to 2 pm. And the line for FPs still looked longer than the actual line, which was up to 30 minutes by then. I've never seen such a long line for fastpasses.

Gator
05-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Don't worry. In another year, it won't be so bad. It's popular because it's new, not because it's a great ride. It's just OK, IMHO.

homeschool mom
05-21-2009, 03:31 PM
I think if you get there at park opening it's probably not a big deal. However, on our trip at the end of April, we got there around 10 a.m. and the fastpasses being issued were for 6:30 p.m. already!

Ian
05-21-2009, 03:31 PM
If you go when it's even remotely busy, yes ... it's that bad.

I have a sequence of pictures I took last December that shows the time advancing on the FP sign as we stand in line. It moved 3 and a 1/2 hours in the 15 minutes we waited in line to get a Fastpass.

Yes ... we waited 15 minutes just to get Fastpasses!

gauvin4
05-21-2009, 03:58 PM
I was just there the 1st week of May. By the time we got to the ride for fastpasses (around 11am) the return time was after 6pm. We waited in the standby line for at least 45 minutes.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
05-21-2009, 04:04 PM
When we went in December, stand by times were 120 minutes and longer. Fast passes were all gone by 9 am. Last August it was worse. I hope the popularity eventually wears off...There have been days when we got on the ride 2-3 times w/o a problem, though.

BluewaterBrad
05-21-2009, 05:07 PM
I think its pretty bad. I have rode it now quite a few times. It is a really well done attraction, but I am over the hype now. Have fun and score high!!:mickey:

DizneyRox
05-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Don't worry. In another year, it won't be so bad. It's popular because it's new, not because it's a great ride. It's just OK, IMHO.
That's what they said about Soarin' as well and the lines are just as bad many years after going online.

FP "sell outs" by noon or earlier is not uncommon. Actually, it'll be common place during the summer months for sure.

Melanie
05-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Yes ... we waited 15 minutes just to get Fastpasses!

That is NOTHING! I will never complain again after seeing the craziness that is FP distribution in Tokyo. 15 minutes - bring it on!

CardsFan81
05-21-2009, 09:33 PM
Last December we got FP around 10:00 a.m. and didn't get to ride until ride before the park closed. I know they ran out of FPs that day, but I'm not sure what time. As long as you make it a priority to get FPs as soon as you get in the park, you should be fine.

CaptSmee
05-21-2009, 11:27 PM
The FP situation was much better the 1st week of May than it was in Jan. The FP machines have queues now that didn't exist before making it more orderly to get one. It worked well for us last trip to get there early, get a FP, get in line & ride (about 30 min wait).

tjstrike
05-22-2009, 03:47 AM
I went straight to the FP line from rope drop (during springbreak) and waited almost 30 minutes and the FP was for 11:45 am. Went back after getting on ride and got 1 for 4:15 pm

TheRustyScupper
05-22-2009, 12:23 PM
1) It is still a new attraction and new experience.
2) Expect FP's to be gone very early in the day.
3) This is a normal occurrence.
4) Next year, the FP's should be better.

big blue and hairy
05-22-2009, 12:33 PM
1) It is still a new attraction and new experience.
2) Expect FP's to be gone very early in the day.
3) This is a normal occurrence.
4) Next year, the FP's should be better.

5) But not much...:D

:sulley:

huzzah4
05-22-2009, 02:22 PM
I have always had an issue with the way fast passes are distributed. I know I am just a tiny voice, but it seems to me that it would make more sense to stagger the fast passes throughout the day rather than letting them all be given out right at opening. If the machines were programmed not to allow distribution of anything more than 2 hours out, it would cut down on the line at the FP machines and allow more people the opportunity to get them. If I can't get there until 10 Am and am already getting FP's for 6 PM, I would be a little irked, I would not want to plan my entire day (at a park that I probably would not spend all day at anyway) to be able to ride one ride.

DizneyRox
05-22-2009, 02:39 PM
I have always had an issue with the way fast passes are distributed. I know I am just a tiny voice, but it seems to me that it would make more sense to stagger the fast passes throughout the day rather than letting them all be given out right at opening. If the machines were programmed not to allow distribution of anything more than 2 hours out, it would cut down on the line at the FP machines and allow more people the opportunity to get them. If I can't get there until 10 Am and am already getting FP's for 6 PM, I would be a little irked, I would not want to plan my entire day (at a park that I probably would not spend all day at anyway) to be able to ride one ride.
Distribution of FPs is based on hourly throughput. For example, imaging it can put 1000 people through an hour. Well, if the park is open 9 hours, then they will give out 9000 fastpasses. Actually, they don't, the allow for standby, and no-shows, and downtime, etc. But that's the gist... Disney has to staff this, so it's actually in their best interest to let them go as fast as possible so they don't need to pay the CMs and longer than they have to.

Holding them would only create more lines (and fights) as poeple waited until they could get one, etc. Unfortunately, with so little being done at the parks, when a new ride opens it's a big deal and people flock to it. The way to combat this is to open more attractions, but those cost money.

Gator
05-22-2009, 02:49 PM
That's what they said about Soarin' as well and the lines are just as bad many years after going online.

FP "sell outs" by noon or earlier is not uncommon. Actually, it'll be common place during the summer months for sure.

The difference is that Soarin' is a great ride with a great concept. At California Adventure, it outdraws Tower of Terror 2:1. Toy Story Mania is certainly not a great ride. It's a ride with some characters digitized on a screen. Not much to it. Of course, being at a place with few rides, it may turn into a Peter Pan. We'll see.

senderella
05-22-2009, 03:01 PM
When we went in Feb, we arrived during EMH and went immediately to TSM and got fast passes as soon as we got off. I think we only waited 10 minutes in Standby and our return fast pass was 10:00. Not too bad....of course it was Feb.

DizneyRox
05-22-2009, 04:01 PM
The difference is that Soarin' is a great ride with a great concept. At California Adventure, it outdraws Tower of Terror 2:1. Toy Story Mania is certainly not a great ride. It's a ride with some characters digitized on a screen. Not much to it. Of course, being at a place with few rides, it may turn into a Peter Pan. We'll see.
Exactly, there's not much at MGM to compete with it. Sure there's RnRC and ToT, but those are thrill rides and they exclude a large percentage of the guests by their very nature. TSM is a family ride and I agree, not great either, but many say that about Soarin' as well. I don't expect the FP situation to die down much, not until there's something else worth doing at MGM.

Greenlawler
05-23-2009, 09:29 AM

I think the newness has a great deal to do with it, but it is a great ride and has off the charts re-ride value. My kids alway scream again, again!

Greenlawler
05-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Exactly, there's not much at MGM to compete with it. Sure there's RnRC and ToT, but those are thrill rides and they exclude a large percentage of the guests by their very nature. TSM is a family ride and I agree, not great either, but many say that about Soarin' as well. I don't expect the FP situation to die down much, not until there's something else worth doing at MGM.

As far as a concept.... rides like Soarin were all over the place in the mid 70's. I remember going to Magic World in Pigeon Forge, TN where they had a very similar ride. This was back in 1979. It was not just a motion master ride it was a full blown flight ride.
I enjoy Soarin but it is clearly on the same level as TSM.

Ian
05-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Don't worry. In another year, it won't be so bad. It's popular because it's new, not because it's a great ride. It's just OK, IMHO.That's what people said about Soarin'.

That is NOTHING! I will never complain again after seeing the craziness that is FP distribution in Tokyo. 15 minutes - bring it on!Yeah, WDW is better than DL, too. You can wait easily 30 or 40 minutes in line for a FP for Soarin' or other really popular attractions in Cali.

Unfortunately, with so little being done at the parks, when a new ride opens it's a big deal and people flock to it. The way to combat this is to open more attractions, but those cost money.That's really the issue.

Look at Magic Kingdom ... at rope drop the crowds disperse evenly through the park. Some go right to Space Mountain, some to Big Thunder Mountain, some to Pirates, some to Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, Dumbo ... there are easily 7 or 8 attractions there worthy of a mad dash at opening time.

But in Epcot??? Uh uh. People run to Soarin' and Test Track and that's it. At the Studios, they run for ToT, RRC, or TSM. And really ToT and RRC are so close together than they might as well be one. At AK they run to either Everest or the Safari.

They've really got to spend some cash in the other three parks and get them up to snuff.

The difference is that Soarin' is a great ride with a great concept. At California Adventure, it outdraws Tower of Terror 2:1. Toy Story Mania is certainly not a great ride. It's a ride with some characters digitized on a screen. Not much to it. Of course, being at a place with few rides, it may turn into a Peter Pan. We'll see.I really doubt you'll find many people who agree with that position.

Soarin' is one of my favorite attractions, but TSM blows it away, IMO.

irish1967
05-23-2009, 08:56 PM

I respectfully disagree with you.

The system rewards the people who are willing to make the extra effort to get the FPs. If riding a certain ride is a priority to a party, then they need make the effort to do what needs to be done in order to experience the attraction.

My children aren't willing to get to DHS early enough to get the FPs nor are they willing to wait in line. As a result, they have never had the opportunity to ride TSM. When they choose to do one or the other, then they will have the opportunity to experience the ride.

CleveRocks
05-24-2009, 01:43 PM

Have you ever experienced TSM, or have you only read about it?

"Not much to it?" It is interactive, and not only that, but interactive in a way most of us have never experienced before. Similar-ish in IDEA to Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, but light years ahead of that ride in technology and interactiveness.

I don't even remember a single character inside the ride ... but I do remember pullin gon that cork gun or whatever it is and breaking plates, busting balloons, and seeing and hearing my son's joy as he got to compete against me in a situation where he had just as good a chance of getting a better score than me as vice versa.

You should try it some time!

GoldenDreams
05-24-2009, 06:06 PM
I am really surprised at the posts that say this isn't a great ride. My whole family from age 6 to age 68 loved this ride!! It is great fun. We loved competing with each other and loved the way it whips you around to a new challenge. I thought the queue was pretty fun too. When we went, the queue moved much faster than what was posted outside, so we were glad we took the time to wait in line.

Figment52
05-24-2009, 06:49 PM
We got fastpasses for TSM around 10-11am last fall, with a return time around 5pm, I believe. We liked the ride, and would do it again, but not with a FP. We'd much rather use the FP at the Studios for RnRC or ToT. But then again, we aren't really a fan of the Studios. We're normally done around 3pm, so waiting around for a window after that is a time waster for us.

LudwigVonDrake
05-24-2009, 08:21 PM
I say get there early because FPs go quickly.

joelkfla
05-25-2009, 11:08 PM
If the machines were programmed not to allow distribution of anything more than 2 hours out, it would cut down on the line at the FP machines and allow more people the opportunity to get them.
IMHO, it would probably have just the opposite effect. There would be humongous crowds queued up waiting for the FP machines to "re-open."

OK, you say, then just close the FP machine queues while the machines are dormant. But that would result in unmanageable mobs waiting for the queues to re-open.

It's like trying to squeeze a balloon into a box that's too small. Whatever you do, all you've accomplished is moving the bubble somewhere else.

Baloofan
05-26-2009, 06:51 AM
We're going to DHS this morning, will report later!

FenwayGirl
05-26-2009, 04:37 PM
:thumbsup:I was in DHS on May 16th and managed to get on TSM four times. We went at opening and got a fast pass, then stood in line for to see the que (a must see). We got another fast pass after the 2 hour window and the CM commented that they were suprised that the fast passes were not all gone. We got a bonus ride as our third ride skipped a sequence, so they sent us through again...Love this ride!:thumbsup:

Baloofan
05-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Just returned from DHS. We were there at rope drop, but not right in front. We did not do a mad dash to get there but did walk straight there. the fastpass line was already just behind Great movie ride. We went straight to standby line to ride. The back of the line was right at the entrance to Backlot Tour (about 150 feet long OUTSIDE ). It only took us 45 minutes to get on. This was due to the fastpass riders not getting on yet and the standby line was cruising through. Later on we checked the standby line and it was 80 minutes. The line was not even outside. I think with rides like this (and Peter Pan's Flight in MK) the fastpass only hurts the ride. I mean rides like PPF are constantly moving, thus the line would be with no fastpass. With TSM the ride stops to unload and load riders, but it loads 8-16 people at a time. This ride line would not be bad if you get rid of the fastpass. Just MHO! Anyway, we got to ride and it was a blast! The wife Loves it!

Imagineer1981
05-27-2009, 05:03 PM

Some may argue that Soarin' is a "great" ride...ha ha:thedolls: