PDA

View Full Version : First Time at Grand Floridian

Little Round Bale
05-21-2009, 08:10 AM
Well, DD and I are going to the World in August with my DS and DM. To our great excitement we will be staying at the Grand Floridian. For DD and I this is a chance of a lifetime. :cloud9:

Tell me what to expect or any little special secrets.

SBETigg
05-21-2009, 08:26 AM
It's a lovely resort. I hope you enjoy it.

I prefer the courtyard pool. My kids prefer the beach pool. At night, my kids do like the courtyard pool, though, because you can catch a view of the higher fireworks from there. It's also nice to get a drink and snack from Gasparilla Grill and catch the fireworks from the marina. The best view of the Electrical Water Pageant is at the boat launch dock near Narcoossee's or in the area on the lagoon side of Boca Chica. I like to get up early and enjoy the hot tub while my husband goes over to the health club/spa area to work out.

I love shopping at Basin White early in my trip and picking up some bath bombs to enjoy a nice soak in the room after park time. My husband and I enjoy having a glass of wine at Mizner's in the early evening, with the band playing. The restaurants at the GF are some of our favorites and we like to have lunch at the Grand Floridian Cafe or dinner at Narcoossee's and/or Citricos during the trip. The monorail is the best way to the MK, but it's nice to take the boat launch back from the MK. The bus stop, with plenty of bench seating, is my favorite at WDW.

TheRustyScupper
05-21-2009, 08:50 AM
The nice things to look for or forward to are:
. . . strolling the lobby
. . . listening to live piano music in the lobby in afternoon
. . . listening to live chamber music in the evenings
. . . walking through the shops
. . . doing the Afternoon Tea (2:00p-6:00p)
. . . easy access to the monorail

* The Grand is only a 3-Star resort. They fluctuate between 3-Stars and 4-Stars almost yearly. The service level of CM's ebbs and flows. The General Manager tried to get the fourth star back, but was denied a re-rate. Based upon the rules, they can never be a 5-Star resort, but it hurt when they lost the 4th-Star. The same thing happened at the Beach Club. In fact, WDW actually transferred managers from Wilderness Lodge and created another layer of management to try to increase the service level - it didn't work.

Lynn J Mc
05-21-2009, 09:43 AM
The resort is very pretty until it rains. Then the sidewalks flood. I mean deep enough to cover your shoes. Beware of that. We love having dinner at 1900 Park Fare with Cinderella and her stepsisters. The wicked stepmother is a hoot. My 8 yo niece loved her! Even if we were sitting there with soaking feet and shoes!

Nini5055
05-21-2009, 10:32 AM
:welcome: I just returned from our trip and it was wonderful!

As others suggested, take in the fireworks outside Gasparilla's Grill (Quick Service open 24 hours)...you can eat ice creams sundaes while you watch the fireworks. My dd7 enjoyed the courtyard pool and we never even made it to the beach pool because the courtyard was SO convenient.

We stayed in Big Pine Key Room #9214...it was an upgrade from Garden View to Tower. We were able to see the fireworks (higher ones) from our balcony.

Have a late dinner at Narcoossee's Restaurant and you will see the Electric Water Parade from the restaurant if seated by the windows. We had a 7:25pm ADR and it came by during dessert.

We enjoyed 1900 Park Fare, Citricos, Narcoossee's and went to the Afternoon Tea (well worth the try!). We highly enjoyed ALL of the Grands restaurants. We also had snacks and the occasional nuggets or sandwich from Gasparilla's. We had refillable mugs and we did use them...mainly in the evenings.

If you are celebrating any occasion remember to let a CM know when you call...we ended up with champagne and a chocolate Mickey Mouse surrounded by cookies. :cloud9:

The doorman out front "Richard" is a very charming and helpful gentleman.

You will have monorail access to Magic Kingdom and Epcot (transfer at TTC) and bus service to Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. If you have questions regarding how to get somewhere or what is happening, the lobby concierge desk is very helpful. They also have park information there (fireworks, parades etc).

Basins is a MUST DO!!! My dd7 took baths with a bomb every time (blue w/confetti) and loved it!!! She was fussing because she said the water smelled bad (Florida water :sick:) and it was difficult to get her to shower. Problem Solved! :cloud9:

All the CM's were helpful and welcomed us to the "Family". :blush: It really is a nice touch!
They chatted with us and gave us pointers...and were in general great people. Mousekeeping was wonderful and very helpful. Our shampoo, conditioner and soaps were replenished daily...H2O brand.

It did rain while we were there and we had no sidewalk flooding issues...perhaps it was corrected. :confused: We wore flip flops, so I definately would have noticed that!!!:D

Nini5055
05-21-2009, 10:38 AM
If you are planning a pool day...you might want to think about renting a Cabana. They can be rented for a full or 1/2 day. I did check them out (they are at the beach pool)...pretty cool!!!:cool:

hel5165
05-21-2009, 11:37 AM
A nice thing to do with daughters is the afternoon tea. However, I would suggest ordering just tea and something a la carte. The pastries and trifle are wonderful but the sandwiches are prepared far ahead and become stale. My husband and I had the Grand Tea with champagne and it was not worth the $54 + tip. The champagne was terrible and I think one shrimp was used for the shrimp salad. I know that tea sandwiches are suppose to be dainty but these are really skimpy.

Nini5055
05-21-2009, 12:00 PM
I actually thought the tea sandwiches were big. :D They are 1/2 of a sandwich w/crust removed.

I have attended Ladies Teas in my hometown and the sandwiches are quartered.

I guess it is up for interpretation as tea sandwiches are not meant to take the place of a meal, but to supplement tea. :mickey:

Figment78
05-21-2009, 01:00 PM
* The Grand is only a 3-Star resort. They fluctuate between 3-Stars and 4-Stars almost yearly. The service level of CM's ebbs and flows. The General Manager tried to get the fourth star back, but was denied a re-rate. Based upon the rules, they can never be a 5-Star resort, but it hurt when they lost the 4th-Star. The same thing happened at the Beach Club. In fact, WDW actually transferred managers from Wilderness Lodge and created another layer of management to try to increase the service level - it didn't work.

Now what purpose did this little 'downer' note serve?! This woman is very excited to be staying at the GF, did not ask for opinions on the level of service or even call it a 4-star hotel.

Wow.

I'm sorry for being off-topic, I had to jump in. I come to THIS site specifically b/c I feel the people here are the friendliest (of all the disney fan sites), and helpful. Most of the time.... Was it really necessary to rain on her parade? I'm not saying that we all can't have opinions, share opinions, etc, even if they are negative ones about disney. But this woman did not deserve this little tidbit.

To the OP, I hope you are still excited about your trip. The Grand is an amazing resort which I hope to stay at someday as well. Enjoy!

artyboy
05-21-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm a big fan of this resort...I've stayed there 3 times, and have always loved it. I turned 40 there (Hey, if you have to turn 40, you may as well do it in style!)

There were a lot of little things that I recall...

The Housekeepers did a "Parasol walk" when they arrived for work.

They had a ladybug release on certain days for the kids.

Basin White is awesome.

Grand Tea is also a not to be missed meal!

You are going to love it!

SBETigg
05-21-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm a big fan of this resort...I've stayed there 3 times, and have always loved it. I turned 40 there (Hey, if you have to turn 40, you may as well do it in style!)

You are going to love it!

Hey, me too! Well, I was actually already 40, but we went for my belated 40th celebration. At the GF, I've always had excellent service and an amazing time in a fantastic location. I don't care how many stars it ranks. It works for me.

Nini5055
05-21-2009, 04:30 PM
OMG!!!! Artyboy...We saw the Parasol Parade/Walk the housekeepers do one morning on our way to breakfast!!! It was quite beautifully done and a sight to see. :mickey::thumbsup:

OP...you are going to LOVE the Grand!!! I want to go back now...:D

TammiMcMan
05-21-2009, 05:17 PM
Hey, me too! Well, I was actually already 40, but we went for my belated 40th celebration.Add me to the list too :thumbsup:. We stayed there a few days after my 40th. It still remains one of my favorite resorts.

The cabanas are amazing and I definitely second that idea. It's excellent if you are planning a pool day.

I'm not a huge fan of the bus transportation and we usually worked around it. We take the monorail to the MK and then pretty much always take the resort boat back. When going to Epcot and MGM, we monorail it to the MK and then just hop on either the BWI or BC/YC bus. From BWI, MGM is only about a 10 minute walk and from the BC, you can enter the International Gateway to Epcot in about 5 minutes.

If you have a car, be aware that self parking for the GF is almost in the next county. Okay, slight exaggeration, but it's pretty inconvenient. We always budget for valet parking if we bring a car.

The GF has a wonderful private dining department. While the restaurants are very nice, if you want to do something super special, there are several spots on the GF property where they can set up a private dinner. It won't cost much more than a regular signature dinner and it's a really nice experience.

Do you know what view is booked?

mickeefan
05-21-2009, 06:38 PM
We were there in December for our 50th anniversary. We were upgraded to the Sugar Loaf club level building which was unexpected, but greatly appreciated.
We love eating at the Grand Floridian Cafe. It has become one of our favorites now.
We had a great time there, but I still am loyal to the Poly Hawaii building.

iheartdisney
05-21-2009, 08:44 PM
Hey, me too! Well, I was actually already 40, but we went for my belated 40th celebration.

Wow! GF is a popular place for 40th celebrations! We went for my belated 40th, as well. I was 7 mo. pregnant on my 40th and our DS through adoption had just arrived so we had to postpone the actual 40th trip. So when we were there closer to my 41st birthday I still called it my 40th!

Lynn J Mc
05-22-2009, 08:58 AM
The parasol walk is neat to see but it doesn't happen every day. I can't remember the days. Make sure you ask when you arrive.

big blue and hairy
05-22-2009, 10:11 AM
The Grand Floridian is a AAA 4 Diamond Resort.

:sulley:

Jforrest2
05-22-2009, 10:14 AM
We just booked GF for our 20th anniversary Sept. 26 - Oct. 1. This will be our first trip to Disney without the kids in 18 years! Can't decide if I'm happy or sad about that...:blush:

SBETigg
05-22-2009, 11:20 AM
We just booked GF for our 20th anniversary Sept. 26 - Oct. 1. This will be our first trip to Disney without the kids in 18 years! Can't decide if I'm happy or sad about that...:blush:

Too funny. My 40th birthday trip was also our first trip without kids in 19 years. Like you, we were unsure and though we did occasionally say "the kids would love..." this or that, it was absolutely liberating and fabulous to relive Disney without them. :cool: We had such a great time. I hope you do, too.

Tinkerfreak
05-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Wow I turned 40 this year so it sounds like the thing to do is go to the GF when you turn 40. Now I just have to convince the DH of this!:D

Figment78
05-28-2009, 08:34 PM
Oh no! Do I really have to wait 9 more years before staying there?! (My 31st bday is in two weeks). I don't think I will make it that long!!!

Don't tell DH that it's a 40th bday special or I'll never convince him to go before then! I'm aiming for "gift after giving birth to child #2!" :thumbsup:

disneykidsince1970
07-10-2009, 08:28 AM
I love reading about the Grand Floridian (affectionately referred to as the GrandFlaSpa at our house)...

the Cabanas ROCK! We just did this in May with my sister and 2 little ones. It was great to have shade, a fridge and a waitress for the day. She brought a DVD for the kids to watch while they had lunch (Dumbo) and changed the towels and drinks regularly. We felt completely and utterly spoiled - we def don't live like that normally!

Another little tip is about the ducks. I saw this a few years ago so I wonder if they've done anthing to stop it...but, at night, when it is warm, the ducks came up to the beach pool from the lake. We saw several mommies and baby ducks just paddling away in the moonlight - easy for them thanks to the zero-entry pool. Now, it was adorable and I think my kids would have loved to see this but thinking about it... a bit gross, huh?

Plan some lobby/people-watching time.

It feels great.
It smells great.
It IS great!!

You'll love it. ENJOY!

redleg96
07-10-2009, 01:51 PM
AAA continues to give the GF a 4 diamond rating which is exceptional by any rate. Not sure what Rusty Sooper's issue is but I think you'll have a great time. We'll be staying there in December-our first time as well, so have a great time and let me know how it went.:mickey:

jaynefuller
07-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Wow, lucky people!:mickey:

We are staying at all star music for christmas and new year! We have paid £3300 for flight and hotel but the GF was coing out at £10,000! So unaffordable!:(

RaRaRoundTheWorld
07-12-2009, 05:40 PM
We really enjoy the GF. A few things worth mentioning - live music in the main building and by the pool bar, getting a hammock on the little beach (be sure to pack a few shovels and pails if your kids are of that age), getting a cabana for the day and a theme park view.

Have a great time!!

BluewaterBrad
07-13-2009, 03:33 PM
The nice things to look for or forward to are:
. . . strolling the lobby
. . . listening to live piano music in the lobby in afternoon
. . . listening to live chamber music in the evenings
. . . walking through the shops
. . . doing the Afternoon Tea (2:00p-6:00p)
. . . easy access to the monorail

Very interesting information!:mickey:

grumpypima
07-13-2009, 08:52 PM
Tell me what to expect or any little special secrets.

IMHO that is a "special secret". It's interesting. Who knew that piece of info?? Not me. I mean, it's still the Grand Floridan. :)