PDA

View Full Version : Rainy Days.....

kbean
05-20-2009, 08:56 PM
When it rains on your vacation, how do you make the best of it? One day of rain on my trip isn't so bad. It adds to the fun. But everyday can be annoying. So how do you duck the rain?

I usually find myself spending more money. Then of course, make the best I can with the parks and the rain. I'm not one to sit back at the room waiting to run out between showers.

spoiledraf
05-20-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm curious for answers as well. lately, it's been just me and the wife but this time it's kids and grandkids. I'm hoping the younger generation will be willing to brave the weather. As a UPS guy, I'm used to just continuing in what ever the weather. Hope the weather improves from this week!

JPL
05-20-2009, 09:45 PM
I just throw on a Poncho and proceed as normally as possible.

biodtl
05-20-2009, 10:11 PM
I always buy a bunch of disposable ponchos before we (they're less than $1 if you buy them ahead of time), and keep some in the stroller or bag. if it rains, we throw them on and keep on going. If it gets really bad, we might try to take shelter for a little while, but rain doesn't stop us.

Auroring Good Time
05-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Some of the most fun I've had in the parks with my son has been on rainy days. We have on the sandles and the ponchos and puddle jump. There are usually less people in the parks then. If it gets really bad, we might hit Disney Quest or a movie.

disneyboundagain
05-20-2009, 10:20 PM
We usually buy the expensive ponchos in the park. We don't plan it that way, but its worked out that way for the past three trips. Believe it or not, ponchos are the ONLY item that we have forgotten to pack, THREE TIMES IN A ROW:oops:

Aggie97
05-20-2009, 10:35 PM
We've found it's really nice to have both ponchos and lightweight umbrellas with us on rainy days.

At Epcot, we prefer umbrellas because we end up removing our ponchos for each FW pavilion (as we usually spend awhile in there). And dripping ponchos are awkward in the WS shops.

At MK, we generally are in each ride building briefly and can just keep on our ponchos.

When it's really pouring, it's awfully nice to have both, though!

We always keep the ponchos and umbrellas in gallon-size Ziploc bags; that gives us a place to store them in the backpack when they are wet. :mickey:

Mousemates
05-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Some of the most fun I've had in the parks with my son has been on rainy days. We have on the sandles and the ponchos and puddle jump. There are usually less people in the parks then. If it gets really bad, we might hit Disney Quest or a movie.

Our philosophy is similar, except for the DQ thing...we tried it once on a rainy day and vowed never again....too many people use it as a rainy day option for our tastes.

AmandaChan
05-21-2009, 12:44 AM
When it rains on your vacation, how do you make the best of it? One day of rain on my trip isn't so bad. It adds to the fun. But everyday can be annoying. So how do you duck the rain?

I usually find myself spending more money. Then of course, make the best I can with the parks and the rain. I'm not one to sit back at the room waiting to run out between showers.

Yeah, we just got back and I know what you mean. The first 2.5 days were sunny and normal. When it rained the first evening it was like, okay. Whatever. Then it rained all day the next, and POURED ALL DAY the last day. That was pretty depressing.

RBrooksC
05-21-2009, 07:20 AM
... and Mondays always get me down.

brownie
05-21-2009, 07:40 AM
You can still do a lot in the parks even when it's raining. We bring our emergency ponchos with us, put them on when it starts raining, and keep going.

Stu29573
05-21-2009, 08:28 AM
I always just grab a poncho and keep going. I'm weird in that rain really doesn't bother me much. :thumbsup:

2lilboys
05-21-2009, 09:39 AM
We were there during T.S. Faye last August. We just grabbed our ponchos and enjoyed ourselves in the parks. We really enjoyed AK on a rainy/overcast day. The rest of my family had a blast in Epcot one night during Evening EMH because there were no crowds!:thumbsup:

If you do venture out in the rain, be ready to do some laundry or let your clothes and shoes dry thoroughly before packing them up. Those wet things can get really smelly (and may get moldy) when they start piling up.:sick: Stuffing your shoes/sneakers with newspaper while they are drying will help absorb some odor.

Disney Doll
05-21-2009, 09:47 AM
We bring ponchos from home, a hat with a bill to keep the rain off my face, a small umbrella, and a stroller cover. I also like crocs on rainy days because they are not uncomfortable like a wet pair of sneakers would be. With all our gear we are able to enjoy a day at the parks pretty much like we normally would. I actually kind of like the rain because the crowds really clear out and sometimes it feels like we have the parks to ourselves.

Meteora
05-21-2009, 10:10 AM

Haha, I was saying the same thing when I read the title.

We're not really poncho people. We've brought them, but I can't recall ever using them. We usually pack a very small umbrella that can easily fit into a purse for each of us when it looks like rain. We are also careful about our wardrobe--try to wear cottons (not white!) and khakis, because jeans take so long to dry and feel so miserable and heavy when wet. Long socks, not just the little ankle kind, and of course, shoes that cover as much of our feet as possible (usually sneakers). And of course, we wrap park tickets, cameras, cell phones, wallets, etc. in ziplock bags or plastic grocery bags before placing them in purses or totes, to ensure they will stay dry even if the bag gets thoroughly soaked. I must say, while I know rain occurs with greater frequency in the spring and summer, I'd much rather be warm and soaked than cold and soaked. When it pours in December/January--well, that's just not so much fun, although it does tend to reduce the crowds.

ilovemyjj31
05-21-2009, 10:32 AM
The funny thing is why when you are at a waterpark, and it starts raining does everyone run for cover? Lol..is that not the reason you are there?? As for the reg parks, people head for cover, or leave for a while, I found the parks are funner, as long as its just rain, no lightning..we have fun, we where crocs, so we don't worry about our socks and shoes being soaked,cause I know thats not fun! BUt, take advantage of less crowds, ya get on rides with hardly any lines, go eat lunch or dinner...go in the pool..there is plenty to do, the only ride I recall them closing down for rain is test track, but I have been on that when it first started raining, it was awesome!!
I remember being at UNiversal, and we were on the one water ride, well, the skies opened up, and it was a monsoon, and the ride kinda got stuck right near a waterfall, people were freaking out..I was like is this not the reason ya get on this ride is to get soaked?? That's the fun of it!! Some people can handle the rain, others can't..I mean the worse part is if ya look like a drowned rat, pictures aren't gonna look good..lol!!
But have fun, don't sit in the hotel room, and wait, it rains all the time here during the rainy season, and most of the time, its a passing shower, and then the sun comes right back out!!:thumbsup:

Giggy
05-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Maybe it's just that we've never been there for mid-summer, we've done April once and May/early June once, but we've been luck with weather as far as I remember. From what i remember rain is heavy but rarely lasts long during the day, though I can't remember exactly how long it does last, an hour?

I guess what you do depends on where you are, if you're in Castaway Creek at Typhoon Lagoon or Cross Country Creek at Blizzard Beach you have nothing to worry about as you're in the water anyway. Plus in the latter you get splashed by water colder than the rain anyway. I guess it's the same for elsewhere in water parks as well, especially the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon.

In the parks if there's a show nearby that starts at the right time then that's a lucky escape I guess. If not a fairly long indoor ride such as Universe of Energy. Then again I'd imagine if you go for the indoor attractions when it rains everyone else will have and it will be packed. :crowd:

DizNee143
05-21-2009, 01:54 PM

exactly! rain doesnt really effect the day at all! :mickey:

PrincessCandaceMarie
05-21-2009, 03:56 PM

LOL

Kathy Jetson
05-22-2009, 11:53 PM
It poured and there were tornado warnings the day we checked in in Nov. we stayed in the room till the rain stopped and then got in the pool lol.

kemps@wdw
05-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Unless it's a hurricane, don those ponchos and take advantage of less crowds!! :thumbsup:

CaptSmee
05-23-2009, 08:55 PM

Same here. Why let rain interfere with anything?:cool:

Spaceship Tigger
05-24-2009, 09:34 AM
We just got back yesterday. Basically dealt with days and days of rain. We had to just decide to get out the ponchos and umbrellas and go with it. Luckily it didn't rain on us the whole time and a couple of the days we were back at the resort before the sky really opened up. But after enough days of rain, the crowds really aren't reduced any because people have to come out of hiding sometime. Plus, in a place like Epcot, all of the crowds just retreat into the buildings where all of the rides are.

LudwigVonDrake
05-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Get a poncho and keep moving!!!

cmshelton1979
05-25-2009, 11:22 AM
I just got back from DW where it rained 6 out of 9 days I was on vacation. It has its ups and downs, I hate having to wear a poncho every day or pack it every day, but on the other hand....the parks were not very busy at all. I was actually able to walk on or have very minimal waits because everyone was leaving or shopping.

We left yesterday and it felt so good to be able to throw our ponchos away!!! But of course, the day we leave it was hot and sunny :( and now its raining back here in Indiana

Baloofan
05-26-2009, 07:04 AM
Usually with the ponchos during the hotter months you get just as wet sweating your butt off. I'd rather just duck and wait. We're at WDW now until June 5th and it has rained every day, mostly late afternoon around 5. Not just rain mind you, HEAVY rain that has lasted for at least an hour. Sunday we were at AK and saw the skies get very dark so we decided to just call it a day. Well, we got SOAKED on the tram to the parking lot. At first it was aggravating, but by the time we got to the car we were laughing our butts off! Lesson here... I'd rather get rained on in WDW than stay dry at home or work!!!

disneymanic5
05-26-2009, 10:42 AM
I'll go to indoor attractions.

JabberJaws
05-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Well that is one good thing about WDW is that most of the rides and queues are indoors or sheltered due to the Florida heat and rain, so you can stil do most everything.

During rain you should:

Avoid DAK at all costs. I love the park, but most of the stuff is outdoors. Hard to do in rain.
Epcot is best for rainy days because of innoventions, lots of indoor areas in WS, etc.
Bite the bullet! Go to a park and just bring a poncho. Use overhangs, etc to stay under while moving from one ride to the next.
If it is so bad you don't want to do a park, Disney Quest is a fun indoor excursion.
Hotel hopping is fun too if the monorail is running.

I also use rainy days as opportunities to check out exhibits, indoors attractions, etc. that I might not normally get to (innoventions, shows like VOTLM, circle vision shows in WS, post queue areas in JIYI, MS, TT, SE, etc.)

Make the most of it!

joonyer
05-27-2009, 02:26 PM
When it rains in Central Florida, it "usually" doesn't last all day, so we just pack ponchos and keep right on going. The rain usually shortens the queues considerably, and we take advantage before the crowds come back. It's kind of like Mother Nature's version of FastPass! ;)

Hull-onian
05-27-2009, 05:35 PM
When it rains in Central Florida, it "usually" doesn't last all day, so we just pack ponchos and keep right on going. The rain usually shortens the queues considerably, and we take advantage before the crowds come back. It's kind of like Mother Nature's version of FastPass! ;)

:ditto:

pixiesmimi
05-27-2009, 09:03 PM
We have the good ponchos from WDW but I also get the cheap ones from the Dollar Store to bring along. They are easier to pack. I have a special little zip bag that I put them all in and it fits right into the backpack or a purse. Hard to get them back in though after they are wet. :) The wettest we have ever been was the first night there last time on our anniversary. We got checked in and headed to MK for our dinner at CP. Just as we got to the bus stop at MK it opened up and we had a monsoon. Could hardly see anything in the rain it was so hard. We decided to brave it so we wouldn't miss our reservation. We had on our ponchos but we still got soaked and DH's hat blew off and he didn't notice until we got almost to the gate and he went back for it. No one bothered to pick it up and hand it back to him. Guess they were in a hurry too. Those were the first pictures for our trip we took and I looked like a drowned rat and was so embarrassed. :blush:

We usually go from gift shop to gift shop and try to stay out of it but generally we will go into a show or something and when we come out it has stopped. I have felt sorry all this past week for those of you down there now. We have had so much rain here in LA (lower Alabama) that we are floating away. I told DH that I was glad we hadn't paid to go down there this week. Just cover up and take it in stride and enjoy anyway! You are in the happiest place on earth. :)

disneykidsince1970
05-28-2009, 12:40 AM
I live in Tampa and drove over to Epcot last week to use the last day of a ticket before it expired. I was by myself but still had a nice time. It was kind of funny because we had been in a serious drought for about two months (as we always are this time of year) but for some reason that day, the drought officially ended! It was like God just turned on the water and hasn't shut if off since. Anyway - it was raining when I arrived so I brought in my golf umbrella. I've got to tell you, if you can stand keeping track of it when it's not raining, that's the way to go! I was the ONLY dry person that day. One note though - Disney did not design for rain and flipflops. I was slip-sliding all over the place in my Reefs.

Stich8818
05-28-2009, 06:21 PM
On the last trip..One of the 2 times it rained really bad we were just getting into Epcot...We headed over to JIYI and stayed in there and played...But for the most part like everyone else...Ponchos and Umbrellas..and go on my way.

cinderella crazy
05-29-2009, 09:22 AM
In all the trips we've taken, we have been very fortunate that it didn't rain. However, this last trip made up for it. We just pulled out our hats and umbrellas, put on the ponchos and had a good time. Our only concern was for our youngest whose still in a stroller, but we just put a poncho over her legs and she was fine. The kids think it's the greatest thing to get to play in the rain. The only times we headed for cover was when it was raining so hard we couldn't see and when there was thunder and lightning.

Daddy Mouse
05-30-2009, 03:02 PM

I hate ponchos because of the humidty. I will wear one though and keep trudging around the parks.

Bellerella
06-01-2009, 12:31 PM
It poured and poured on our trip last week... we actually tried to go back to the hotel when we thought it was going to pour, so that we wouldn't have to go back to the room grumpy and wet to change out soggy clothes. We still got drenched 2 different days which was irritating, but since we like to go take a rest in the afternoon, we were able to beet out the rain a few times.

cer
06-01-2009, 12:39 PM
We put on our ponchos and keep on...and are grateful for the shorter lines...:thumbsup:

Menai2WDW
06-02-2009, 12:15 PM
We just keep on going and enjoy the parks. :mickey: The one time we tried something different and went to Disney Quest we regretted it. Everyone one else seemed to have the same idea and DQ was far too busy to be fun.

IloveDisney71
06-02-2009, 02:45 PM
We went to a water park one day when it rained all day. A tropical depression rolled through (a very MINOR one) and we knew it would be wet most of the day. I called the front desk to see if the water parks were open. They were open so we hit Typhoon Lagoon. We figured if we were going to be wet anyway, we might as well go to one of the water parks. There was hardly anyone there. We rode everything with NO waits at all. It was great!!!:D

Charlee
06-03-2009, 10:16 AM
We found last June it rained every other day but only in the afternoon and then it wasn't too long. We planned our day accordingly, going out early to the parks, going back to Pop for lunch and a relax in the room while it rained, then back out for the evening.

If we are ever caught in the rain, we have ponchos and continue. What's a little rain when you're in Disney?