PDA

View Full Version : Yachtmans

Ksmith75
05-20-2009, 11:58 AM
We went to the Yachtmans' at the Yacht Club on our recent trip in April/May. I have to say we were a little dissapointed. We do the DDP, and it takes 2 adults sit down entitlements per person - which we were fine with. We went to the Yachtman's last year and loved it. We had the greatest waiter and the food was wonderful. We got the oak-fire rib eye, which came with a salad (not as an appetizer - it came with the entree) and potatoes and a veg. Well this year - no salad came with the entree - and we each got the cowboy steak (which was an oak-fire rib-eye) - and the only thing that came with it on the plate was 3 fried onions. The steak was good - though I asked for medium-well and it was more like medium - but still good. The menu change is what bothered us...no potato or veg....I guess they cut it down because of the dining plan.....we also ate at Le Cellier and the Captains Grille (at Yacht Club) and both were fantastic...

deedeenmickey
05-20-2009, 12:56 PM
I noticed they have done a lot of cutbacks in quantity. When I weas there in February I have the Cantina Nachos at Mexico. They used to be big enough for me and my husband to share with some left over. This time we went back and got another order and were still not satisfied. I heard it was because of cost savings and cut backs. I still believe that you should at least get one side of potaoes with a steak??? :confused::(

MickeyMousse
05-20-2009, 03:42 PM
On another website where they list the restaurant menus, it seems like what you ordered (cowboy steak) was the only one that didn't include some sort of potato and/or veggie!!
If you'd like to see the website, PM me.

TheRustyScupper
05-21-2009, 08:33 AM
Well this year - no salad came with the entree - and we each got the cowboy steak (which was an oak-fire rib-eye) - and the only thing that came with it on the plate was 3 fried onions. The steak was good - though I asked for medium-well and it was more like medium - but still good. The menu change is what bothered us...no potato or veg....I guess they cut it down because of the dining plan.....

1) Yes and no.
2) You took the biggest steak, at $47.
3) The DDP only reimburses so much.
4) They can't give away big prices for everything.
5) If you had one of the smaller steaks, they come with veggies or potato.

NOTE: That is one of the problems with DDP and the dumbing-down of menus and menu items. Folks on DDP figure they should order the most expensive items. So, the average meal price increases dramatically. So, to keep the profit structure for the eatery, menu items have to be cheapened. To quote that wise prophet, Pogo, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

SBETigg
05-21-2009, 08:47 AM
I haven't been to Yachtsman's Steakhouse, but that's what I would expect from a high-end steakhouse type of restaurant. The service is usually a la carte, with a nice selection of sides to order separate from your main dish. This is why perhaps Yachtsman isn't the best choice for two credits on the DP. I do love most of the other Signature choices, though. Maybe next time try Flying Fish Cafe or California Grill? Thanks for your review.

Basket Mommy
05-21-2009, 12:29 PM
My husband ordered the Cowboy steak on our trip a couple of weeks ago and asked for the potatoes au gratin in place of the side that comes with it. They did that with no upcharge, but we weren't on the DDP. We have Tables in Wonderland.

I had the Yachtsman filet and asked for the truffle mac & cheese instead of potatoes. No problem.

That being said, I don't think there is one restaurant at WDW that is worth 2 table credits except Victoria & Albert's, and they're not even on the DDP. I think Yachtsman is nice, but not much fancier than any other place on DW property. It was a great meal, but not worth the extra credits, IMO.

Ksmith75
05-22-2009, 01:49 PM
1) Yes and no.
2) You took the biggest steak, at $47. -
3) The DDP only reimburses so much.
4) They can't give away big prices for everything.
5) If you had one of the smaller steaks, they come with veggies or potato.

NOTE: That is one of the problems with DDP and the dumbing-down of menus and menu items. Folks on DDP figure they should order the most expensive items. So, the average meal price increases dramatically. So, to keep the profit structure for the eatery, menu items have to be cheapened. To quote that wise prophet, Pogo, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Answer to #2 We wanted the oak fired rib -eye ! We had a similar one the year before and liked it! Not because it was the most expensive.
Answer to #4 - No, really.

Yes, but for $47.00 they could have included a potatoe...I was a director of catering - and know food cost - a potato with that dish would not bring down the house...

I was just making an observation.