PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Finding A Book On How To Write College Papers

DisneyPrincess21
05-18-2009, 02:34 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good book that shows you what each type of college paper should look like. Such as essay papers, term papers, etc.
I want a book that shows you the correct format's for the papers, Like the correct format for an essay paper.
Any suggestions on books to purchase would be Greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

Strmchsr
05-18-2009, 04:06 PM
It depends on the style you're writing in - APA, MLA, Chicago/Turabian. Each style has it's own guidelines as to how to format, cite, put together your index, footnotes/endnotes and so on. However, each style also has a manual that lays it all out with plenty of examples.

Disney Doll
05-18-2009, 05:56 PM
Sounds like you might be looking for something a little more basic than a style guide. If so try this:

Behrens, Laurence and Rosen, Leonard F. Writing and Reading Across the Curriculum 10th edition. 2007. ISBN-10: 0321486439, ISBN-13: 978-0321486431.

DisneyPrincess21
05-18-2009, 06:13 PM
I probably am not explaing what I am looking for correctly, Because I have asked other people and they don't really know what I mean.

I am looking for a book similar to what you used when you were in english class in high school. And they taught you how to write an essay paper, term paper, etc. And it would have a sample paper on the page in the correct format for each of the different papers. And it would show you how each paper should look after you do them correctly

I just don't know where to find something like this.

Hopefully this better explains what I am looking for, If not I am sorry :blush: :secret:

Jeri Lynn
05-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Check out Barnes and Noble, I noticed a lot of writing books when I was looking for another topic. Maybe you will have some luck there!!:mickey:

Dulcee
05-18-2009, 06:32 PM
Having just graduated from college I'm going say I've never seen such a book. I had a guide to writing scientific papers (I just graduated as a Bio Major).

You can look up most of your questions online. I'm not sure where you currently are in school but if you haven't started college yet I wouldn't worry too much. Most entry level courses that require a large amount of writing in a specific style will also suggest to you the proper supporting resources.

pink
05-18-2009, 06:53 PM
There are a few websites online that show you the correct format for term papers, MLA and APA style, but some of them make you pay.

I actually purchased a great research paper writing book a couple of years ago and I refer to it all the time. I don't have the name of it on me, but I'll update later with it for you.:mickey:

DisneyPrincess21
05-18-2009, 06:53 PM
You can look up most of your questions online. I'm not sure where you currently are in school but if you haven't started college yet I wouldn't worry too much. Most entry level courses that require a large amount of writing in a specific style will also suggest to you the proper supporting resources.

I am enrolled in college and am majoring in Psychology. I wrote my first psych paper and my professor said I did good, But next time write in an "essay format". Well I don't remember what the correct essay format is. It has been several years since I learned in high school how to correctly write papers.

So I am just looking for a basic book that shows you how to do correct essay papers, term papers, etc...

DisneyPrincess21
05-18-2009, 06:55 PM
There are a few websites online that show you the correct format for term papers, MLA and APA style, but some of them make you pay.

I actually purchased a great research paper writing book a couple of years ago and I refer to it all the time. I don't have the name of it on me, but I'll update later with it for you.:mickey:

That would be great if you could get me the name, I have been searching online all day and I am getting annoyed. :surf:

Strmchsr
05-18-2009, 08:56 PM
As a psych major I think with about 95% certainty that your prof is talking about formatting your paper in APA format. To the best of my knowledge there is no "essay format" out there beyond 1" margins and usually double-spaced typed with ariel or times new roman size 12 font. So, put your citations, quotes, etc in APA format and that's more than likely what he wants. Find a good APA guide and check out the writing hints.

Disney Doll
05-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Try doing an online search for OWL Perdue. They have a lot of writing resources available online.

SBETigg
05-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Why not ask your professor to elaborate and tell you exactly what he wants or where you can find a guide to tell you what he means? I know it sometimes seems like they expect you to have dropped out of the sky with automatic knowledge of what they mean, but they really know you're only human, and they're human too. So just ask. He'll probably be more than happy to talk to you and help you out.

DisneyPrincess21
05-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Why not ask your professor to elaborate and tell you exactly what he wants or where you can find a guide to tell you what he means? I know it sometimes seems like they expect you to have dropped out of the sky with automatic knowledge of what they mean, but they really know you're only human, and they're human too. So just ask. He'll probably be more than happy to talk to you and help you out.

I emailed her last night and asked her. And she sent me back 2 different essay's examples to look over. It was very helpful. She even offered to look over my paper's before I submit them.
I am very glad she is such a helpful professor.

I might be having her look over my paper's even after I am out of her class :secret: :D

SBETigg
05-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Sorry, I thought you said she was a he. Oops. But I'm glad you asked. That's probably the best help, to go straight to the source. I'm glad it worked out for you.

tinkerbelle75
05-19-2009, 01:39 PM
I actually have exactly the book you're looking for. It's called POcket Style Manual by Diana Hacker. It has MLA, APA, and others and has a sample of each. It even has no-no's listed so you'll know what not to do! Barnes and Noble college stores carry them, and you can probably find it at Amazon. It has helped me so much writing papers. Good luck!

DisneyPrincess21
05-19-2009, 02:15 PM
I actually have exactly the book you're looking for. It's called POcket Style Manual by Diana Hacker. It has MLA, APA, and others and has a sample of each. It even has no-no's listed so you'll know what not to do! Barnes and Noble college stores carry them, and you can probably find it at Amazon. It has helped me so much writing papers. Good luck!

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I just purchased about $55 dollars worth of different books last night, so i'll check out what I have first, then check my budget and I will probably get it. Thanks! :thumbsup:

DisneyDog
05-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Do yourself a favor and go to the library. You won't have to pay anything, and you should definitely ask the Reference Librarian for help. They can probably direct you to some appropriate web sites and maybe even some databases to help you. Librarians love helping with that kind of stuff -- I know because I am a librarian. :thumbsup: