PDA

View Full Version : Which ride needs a makeover?

Gaz10
05-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Which longstanding ride needs a refurb, I'm going with STAR WARS:yoda:.This really needs updating.

Basket Mommy
05-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Maelstrom, Journey Into Imagination (it needs to compete with the rest of the upgraded rides in Future World, IMO), the Great Movie ride (we only ride it now if there's a short line, we have time to kill before something else, or if we need to sit down in the A/C for awhile...), and YES. I agree about Star Tours. I read a rumor recently that they've started shooting a new movie for it. We'll see.

Meteora
05-17-2009, 02:03 PM
I agree about Imagination--it's not awful, but it's not great, either. They should keep the song and Figment and re-work the rest. And do it in such a way that it won't need another makeover two-five years later.

I also think it's time to either make the backlot tour relevant or scrap it. When it actually toured a working backlot, it was interesting. Now it's all very...hypothetical, and the main sections (like the different vehicles used in movies) don't change.

RAIDER
05-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Star Tours i am well in agreement with you on
I would also like to add the Speedway ride as well as the Astro Orbitor

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
05-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Country Bear Jamboree

caryrae
05-18-2009, 10:08 AM
Honey I Shrunk The Audience.

crltkcagle
05-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Universe of Energy! BORING!!!!

Gaz10
05-18-2009, 11:42 AM
Star Tours i am well in agreement with you on
I would also like to add the Speedway ride as well as the Astro Orbitor
I agree with the speedway ride, they should update with Cars vehicles like Mcqueen and Co:thumbsup:

BMan62
05-18-2009, 11:51 AM
HISTA definitely! When was the last "Honey, I [fill in the blank]" movie?

Lots of other things could be done with the 'Imagination' idea and 3/4D!

Frog
05-18-2009, 11:55 AM
I really enjoy cop, but man, some of the scenes looked dusty and dingy. I vote cop...

WVParkfan
05-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Jungle Cruise. Ugh.

Mousemates
05-18-2009, 09:37 PM
COP, Universe of Energy, figment

KronkHere
05-18-2009, 10:03 PM
The Great Movie Ride
:gangster:

gueli
05-18-2009, 10:54 PM
Star wars definatly could use some help, but
...Backlot tour
...Honey....(please dont make me go in there AGAIN)
...Universe of energy could use some spark

I disagree about COP & Country Bear Jamboree, for nostalgic reasons. Dont get me wrong COP could use a whole new idea- but the original as corney and outdated will always remind me of how Walt envisioned the future.

As far as the great movie ride- Yes it could use some alternitive shows- but the point is that its a nostalgic trip back to the golden age of movies.
:mickey:

TikiGoddess
05-19-2009, 08:24 AM
Rides that need updating:

MK: Country Bear Jamboree (just include some folk songs that everyone knows -- like "You Are My Sunshine" -- turn it into a sing-along)

Epcot: Imagination (with today's technology, just think of the possibilities for an interactive ride!!)

DHS: Sounds Dangerous (anything but what they have there now)

Kathy

obsessive planner
05-19-2009, 08:52 AM
I agree about Sounds Dangerous. I think it's not open all the time now which is a good thing! I went once and fell asleep for most of it...

gwfx1031
05-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Great movie ride and Indy stunt show. They have not changed since opening day.

Frog
05-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Oh, I don't really want to change the scenes in Cop, just would like the scenes to get a dusting of the cob webs so to speak...
We thought that every thing looked dingy and old when we went...
Even animatronic people need face lifts every once in a while I guess!

yjgirl32
05-19-2009, 09:29 AM
MK- Country Bear Jamboree- they need to make sure everything is working and I like th idea of a sing-a-long.

Speedway would look so cool with "Cars" incorporated into them.

Epcot- Imagination- very badly

DHS- Great movie ride and Star Tours

Ak- I would just like to see them incorporate ocean animals. Not sure how they would- but would be really cool

prttynpnk
05-19-2009, 10:17 AM
I always get a little depressed seeing how torn up the queue to Buzz Lightyear is- I'd like to see a new paint job there!

joonyer
05-19-2009, 12:26 PM
1. Tomorrowland Speedway,
2. Tomorrowland Speedway,
3. Tomorrowland Speedway.

It is still basically exactly the same attraction it was when MK opened in 1971. But unlike CoP, it is not a classic Disney attraction; It is just a copy of many other amusemant park rides that existed prior to DisneyLand or MK. Only now in 2009, most other amusement parks have go-kart or car rides that are vastly superior to the MK Speedway.

I would refurbish/remodel/update the Speedway with a "Cars" - Radiator Springs - Route 66 theme.
Yes, I know that's not necessarily a "tomorrow" (future or retro future) theme, but nothing about the current speedway is themed that way now anyway.

I would replace the gas-engine vehicles with electric ones, using various "Cars" characters (you could use sound effects to mimic engine sounds) and enclose all or part of the speedway track with a building so that at least part of it could be a dark ride, with special effects, for instance, Radiator Springs town scenes (daytime and especially at night, with all its neon glory), a mountain road scene (Wheel Well Hotel ), tipping the tractors, etc. I would include a digital surround sound music system (with in- car speakers), for all the cool songs from the soundtrack. I would leave the basic track setup the way it is now (partially steerable, with acceleration and brake controls) so kids can still feel like they are really driving.

Add a ride photo opportunity (like Splash Mountain) and a gift shop at the exit and all this would revive this very tired attraction. It would give this attraction some much needed Disney "magic" and make it even more fun for kids of ALL ages.

Frog
05-20-2009, 09:48 AM
I think we have a winner!!

Daddy Mouse
05-20-2009, 10:03 AM
I think this could be made into a reality TV show. Theme Park Makeover

I also think the Speedway needs some more beef. Two different types of experiences would be nice one Indoor that would at least simulate the idea of racing at high speeds. The other could be single person racers like those used in the Star Wars movies.

indytraveler
05-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Country Bear Jamboree needs a makeover soon.

Septbride2002
05-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Rides they should tear down and start over w/something brand new:

1. Sounds Dangerous
2. Country Bear Jamboree
3. Backlot Tour - tear it down - ADD RIDES! Studios doesn't have enough rides for my liking.
4. Honey I Shrunk the Audience - time to replace this less then stellar 3-D show.

Rides they should refurb:
1. Star Tours - COME ON LUCAS YOU'RE KILLING ME!!!
2. The Great Movie Ride - add to it but don't subtract, also please clean.
3. Universe of Energy - snooze
4. They should redo all the rides in World Showcase.
5. Would love to see some small changes to the Jungle Cruise.

AmandaChan
05-21-2009, 11:38 AM
I would have to say Honey I Shrunk but not the actual ride itself, it's not that bad. The queue is pretty much the only thing that is a deal breaker for me. DH tried to get me to watch it this year and I kind of refused.

estein80
05-21-2009, 11:39 AM
I agree with Tomorrowland Speedway. After sitting there for 15-20 minutes trying to get pictures and breathing in the exhaust, I would love to see Disney go electric. It would be really cute if it was Cars. My nephew would never get off.

jszczur5
06-09-2009, 06:41 PM
I really enjoy cop, but man, some of the scenes looked dusty and dingy. I vote cop...

No, no, say it ain't so Joe. Please leave COP alone. Except maybe for the final scene, which is outdated immediately after any refurb. Just bump it up to the 70's to the advent of Pong, and the introduction of microwaves, so that it feels nostalgic, and not just outdated. There's too much of a jump between the 40's scene and the final sketch anyway.
And please, only do this refurb if it can be completed between Christmas and summer, so that there is no chance that it will be closed when I am visiting. It is one of my absolute favourites!!

Boost
06-09-2009, 06:52 PM
I agree that Speedway should go electric with digital engine sounds; however, it should NOT be an indoor attraction...

VolMickey
06-09-2009, 07:10 PM

Ditto on CoP. Just don't want it to go away, nostalgic and all.

limegreenmonorail
06-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Oh, Peter Pan could use a makeover. I love the ride, and I wouldn't want to change that, but, jeepers, clean it up a little! It's so dingy looking inside! At least give the characters inside a new paint job. (Although, with technology these days, I think Peter Pan could be updated to be really awesome. Just a thought.)

StitchFan#1
06-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Well because Epcot has lots of things for little kids I think they should have the Figmaent ride turned into and Imagination Mover ride because it staill has to do with Imagination! And we all know warehouse mouse is adorable

Kathy Jetson
06-10-2009, 01:35 AM
I say stitch in mk. I think they should just start over with something else.

bruin1344
06-10-2009, 01:15 PM
epcot - universe of energy, its so long and very boring

dhs - great movie ride, i want more modern movies on it

BMan62
06-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Not a ride, but all of Innoventions needs updated. Where is "Tomorrows Technology, Today!"?

beksy
06-11-2009, 11:59 AM
I think Country Bears. I wouldn't change the show but just improve on the audio and clean the bears up a bit.

Ryan Towle
06-11-2009, 01:06 PM
Pirates Of The Caribbean.

Coleby
06-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Wow! A lot of diversity here. I agree with some, but not with all, I do agree that Country Bears needs a sprucing. But what about Astro Orbitors, Dumbo and the magic carpets? these are all similar rides, with long queues mainly in the sun! Not fun.

I do think that the great movie ride needs help.. a lot of it all over the world does.

Giselle
06-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Malestrom and the Donald Duck ride at Epcot.

mickey&missy
06-12-2009, 08:47 PM
I definitely agree Star Tours could use some serious updating! I also heard the recent rumor that they are going to update it soon.

I also agree with sprucing up COP and Country Bears too! I love COP but it needs a little work. When DH and I were in WDW in March Rovers tail had fallen off and was laying on the floor in the scene with the pumpkin! I was horrified and the man in front of us took about 9 milliom pictures until his wife yelled at him ;)

I'd also love to see the speedway updated to a Cars theme!!

Scrod
06-12-2009, 09:07 PM
I vote for Star Tours, would be a nice place to put Wall-e and a big fat captain flying the ship!

Pleez don't touch the bears, old dusty and all.

CU Tiger
06-12-2009, 09:49 PM
The back lot tour is boring!
The jungle cruise could us a referb and Splash Mountain needs a face lift. The logs that you ride in are in terrible shape.:mickey:

johnO
06-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Sounds Dangerous needs to go.

pink
06-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Peter Pan needs a bigger makeover then all of them put together. I don't know why so many people still love that ride, it needs a big overhaul. :mickey:

coneygoil
07-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Imagination got refurbished a while back. I think it should be turned back to what it use to be! Or maybe along the same lines of the original ride but updated.

Ms. Mode
07-30-2009, 10:09 AM
"It's a Small World"

I know that it was just re-vamped....but....it's awful ! :blush:

sportsguy2315
07-30-2009, 10:17 AM

I can now picture Ty Pennington saying "MOVE THAT BUS!" at WDW. Just think about it, rehabs done in a weeks time! :) I digress however, and here are my picks by park:
MK: Toontown. Yes, I know it isn't a ride persay, but the DL version is way better than WDW's version (And well, I guess Disney's taken the hint with the rumored re-imagining of that area)
EPCOT: Everything in Imagination. This incarnation of this JIYI is just a embarrassment to the original. In my mind, the thing that made the original version work was Dreamfinder and Figment bouncing off each other, and the humor WORKED! (Unlike the "Imagination Institute") I like the Honey I movies, but it is quite sad when I saw Honey I Blew Up the Kid on vacation late night on TBS couple weeks back and not being able to remember when I last saw it.
DHS: I'll go consenus: Sounds Dangerous. Drew Carey is funny, but it isn't a good idea for him to host when he hosts a beloved show on a competing network.
AK: The plot of Safari. I always thought the poaching storyline was a little dark, and you can't always hear it on the radio.

LibertyTreeGal
07-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Honey I Shrunk The Audience.

Ditto, HISTA could be much better now, except that they would probably have to replace it since the kids are well, pretty durned old now lol

LibertyTreeGal
07-30-2009, 10:20 AM

Could I puhleese be a volunteer for that??? I will hold Ty's shirt for him :shades:

Jll3Sonex
07-30-2009, 10:28 AM
"It's a Small World"

I know that it was just re-vamped....but....it's awful ! :blush: The song seems to be off, too - I'm not sure why, but it didn't stick in the mind as usual. It may have been revamped - but... eh. Some things don't necessarily need to be changed. I've kind of LOATHED that song for years - but now I miss it. How sick is that?

jenny1976
07-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Well...
MK: Astro Orbiter, Country Bear Jamboree, Enchanted Tikki Room (I know it was refurbed a few years ago), Indy Speedway, Jungle Cruise, It's a Small World, Snow White.
Epcot: Universe of Energy, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, Living with the Land, Imagination.
DHS: Indiana Jones, Backlot Tour, Great Movie Ride
AK: Primheval Whirl
Also, I vote that rides that are not wheelchair accessible be made so during revamps, specially in Fantasdyland.