PDA

View Full Version : A little WDW reminder...

handmaidenofprincesses
05-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Okay, I have to share this with all of you, mostly b/c no one else will understand...

My mom and grandmother and I went to Yankee Candle in Deerfield yesterday for the Longaberger Basket festival (my aunt is a dealer and won a prize for bringing bunches of people) Well, after 2 hours in the car and several Dunkin Donuts coffees, we did not stop, we did not pass go, we did not collect $200, we just ran for the ladies room!

We got into the ladies room just outside the "Black Forest" and I stopped in my tracks as I heard Americana being plucked away on a banjo.

"Mom! The music! It sounds just like-"

"Oh no..."

"Frontierland!!" I was now very excited. "It's like coming home!!" (This statement illicited a very strange look from a woman in line behind us, and an eyeroll from my mother, haha)

That whole section of the store was playing traditional American music on a banjo and I was absolutely in my element. It made the whole trip!! I even trekked all the way across the store just to use the same ladies room again after lunch for the sake of the music :blush:

It was a nice reminder of the parks because it caught me by suprise!

What are some of your favorite theme park reminders??

Turk82
05-17-2009, 09:38 AM
I used to work as a midwife in a small birth center in El Paso. One evening, I was observing a student midwife attending a woman with a particuarly long labor. I stepped into her room just to time a few contractions myself, and get an idea of what was going on. Because I was just observing the student's work, I only stepped part-way into the room. Which happened to place me right under the breeze from the swamp cooler (I think that's what it is?!). Anyway, I inhaled through my nose and felt INSTANTLY transported to Pirates of the Caribbean from Disneyland. It smelled EXACTLY the same!!!! I smiled so big and just took a minute to enjoy the magic. Ironically enough, the mother saw my smile and thought I it was for her, was encouraged by it, and labor picked up and we had a baby within th next 2 hours. After that, on many evenings I was working, I would go in that room, stand in that spot, close my eyes, and for just a minute, I could be in the Pirate ride.......:-)

maxrebo77
05-17-2009, 09:47 AM
The sight of an old set of Lincoln Logs makes me pine :blush: for the Wilderness Lodge.
The thempark near my home, has an old time restaurant/saloon/showhall that has a decided Country Bear/Diamond Horseshoe feel to it.
And every once in a while, when people are cooking out in the summer, I will catch just the right BBQ smell that says HoopDeeDo.

Hull-onian
05-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Robin, I have a Longaburger basket and I don't know what to do with it. I was gonna donate it, now I am having other thoughts. I don't have any space for it. Any other ideas? Thanks

PrettyMinnie
05-17-2009, 11:54 AM
A couple weeks ago a friend and I (also a Disney lover) walked into the mall where they play music. My friend stopped and was like "It sounds like the music when you walk into Epcot!!!"

It really is scary....haha.

Basket Mommy
05-17-2009, 01:02 PM
We bought our van from CarMax and paid to have it transported to SC from Miami, FL. When hubby brought it home and the kids and I climbed into it, we all had the same thought at the same time: it smelled just like the Monorail! It was just like being there. We've had that van almost 3 years now and we still call her Monorail. Sometimes she still smells like it, too.

I opened a shoebox on a newly purchased pair of shoes last week and smelled the same smell. Love that smell!

Kathy Jetson
05-17-2009, 03:05 PM
what takes me back is going to the disney store. I have to limit myself to once a month:blush: But I just cant stay away its my disney fix!

cheshirecollector
05-17-2009, 03:20 PM
I had one of those moments in a Chinese buffet restaurant a few years ago. Instead of the Chinese pop music they usually played, I walked in one day and heard some traditional music. My mind immediately went to World Showcase.

handmaidenofprincesses
05-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Ooh and I had another experience last night!! (It's been a good weekend haha) I just started singing with the local German choir and last night was their annual Lieder Abend...

It was so much fun, and it reminded me so much of Beirgarten in WS!! They had an act called Scha-Musi (not sure that's spelled right) and it was a guitarist and an accordian player singing traditional German music- lots of drinking songs! We had a blast, and the ladies at my table kept saying how it was just like being back home in Germany for a little while..
I suppose it's sad that it reminded me more of Epcot than of Germany itself.. :blush: (Though I would very much like to visit the real thing!)

DizNee143
05-19-2009, 01:37 PM
i cant exactly pinpoint where this smell takes me in disney but it reminds of disney and puts me in a good mood every morning!
every morning when i first get in my car and start driving..the smell of the air that comes through the vents just totall reminds me of disney...i take a couple huge breathes every morning..and i smile...its so sad the things that make me happy..lol.. :mickey:

BluewaterBrad
05-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Good topic! I know whenever i hop into the pool at home this time of year reminds me of Blizzard beach!:mickey:

diz_girl
05-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Robin, I have a Longaburger basket and I don't know what to do with it. I was gonna donate it, now I am having other thoughts. I don't have any space for it. Any other ideas? Thanks

Another Longaberger fan here. The best thing that you can do with the basket is to use it. I know that they seem too nice to use, but they are built very well and can take a lot of use and even some abuse. I don't know what your basket looks like, or even the dimensions, but most Longaberger baskets can be used for something. So if you don't have room to display it, then maybe you have some room to use it.

pink
05-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Whenever I smell the gas being turned on for the grill it always reminds me of when the fire is turned on during the backlot tour at the tank, flush flood section.

One day I was looking through a magazine and there was an ad for Glade candels and it had a scratch and sniff part. I tried it and it smelled exactly like the pie from Mickey's Philarmagic. To this day, I still buy that candle just to remind me of the Disney magic when I need a fix. The flavor is apple cinnamon.:mickey:

Daddy Mouse
05-25-2009, 04:10 PM
We bought our van from CarMax and paid to have it transported to SC from Miami, FL. When hubby brought it home and the kids and I climbed into it, we all had the same thought at the same time: it smelled just like the Monorail! It was just like being there. We've had that van almost 3 years now and we still call her Monorail. Sometimes she still smells like it, too.

I opened a shoebox on a newly purchased pair of shoes last week and smelled the same smell. Love that smell!

I love thee monorail, but I'm sorry for the smell :ack: There are more pleasant odors around the world.