PDA

View Full Version : Freezer Problem

Hull-onian
05-16-2009, 06:33 PM
Since you've been purchasing frozen food products that come in plastic bags, like the steamfresh and other products, do you find that your freezer has a funky odor from it?:confused:

brownie
05-16-2009, 08:12 PM
Do you have old ice in your freezer? That can cause a funny odor. Putting in a box of Arm & Hammer Fridge & Freezer (has the tear-off sides so air flows through the box) should do the trick. I change ours every 3 months, though the boxes now say to change it every month.

Hull-onian
05-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Do you have old ice in your freezer? That can cause a funny odor. Putting in a box of Arm & Hammer Fridge & Freezer (has the tear-off sides so air flows through the box) should do the trick. I change ours every 3 months, though the boxes now say to change it every month.
Thanks for getting back to me. We have to make our ice cubes, you know, the old fashioned way. So I am always making fresh ice cubes. We have the arm and hammer freshner. I think that when it is on automatic defrost, the plastic gets sort of wet, then it refreezes, and I think, but not too sure that might be the problem. :confused:

jerrywilborn
05-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Has your power gone out for any length of time?

BrerGnat
05-17-2009, 09:09 PM
A lot of times, freezer odor is coming from the REFRIGERATOR, especially if you have the type of freezer/refrigerator where the freezer is on top and the refrigerator is on the bottom. They share "air flow" so if there is a funky odor in the fridge, it will go up to the freezer, and it turns even weirder in there.

This happens to us on occasion. I will notice a strange odor coming from the freezer, and usually the culprit is GARLIC in the refrigerator (I buy those garlic that are in the vacuum sealed individual pouches). When the garlic is nearing the end of its days, it starts to smell, and it goes up into the freezer and turns into the strangest smell in there...

It works for us to thoroughly clean and check the fridge for any odors, and we keep the arm & hammer baking soda Fridge/Freezer discs (the kind you mount on the side with suction cups) in both at all times.

Also, periodically go through your freezer and make sure there aren't any old wrapped up pieces of frozen meat or other leftovers in there. Really, meat lasts only 3-4 months frozen before it starts to "go bad" from freezer burn, which gives off a bad odor as well. It's a good idea to date anything you put in the freezer and toss anything over 4 months, especially meats.