PDA

View Full Version : See the movie to enjoy the ride

Mousemates
05-16-2009, 12:10 PM
A post in the vacation planning section got me to thinking about the following question. Which ride or attraction in the WDW theme parks is the one where "first seeing the movie"(and thus being familiar with the characters or story line) is most needed to fully enjoy the ride or attraction?

My initial thought was Stitch (because if you don't know that Stitch is really a good guy at heart, the ride might really freak some of the younger visitors out).

DS and DW said Splash Mountian so you enjoy the songs and understand "the laughing place."

DD likely thought Cinderella...to understand the castle.

What do you think?

Cinderella's mom
05-16-2009, 01:28 PM
I know this is not a ride, but in '04, we met Koda and Kenai from Brother Bear and did not know who they were! If we had seen the movie, it would have helped!

Splash Mountain's Laughing Place song actually comes from the Song of the South. I think the story is worth the movie, but not necessary. My DD has not seen the movie since it is in the Disney Vault :confused:, but enjoys the ride!

Stitch, haven't ridden, so not sure about it.

DD said Peter Pan to understand what all the scenes mean.

Lakin
05-16-2009, 02:48 PM
I went on Splash Mountain without having a clue what Song of the South was. I understood the story of it completely. :)

Donald A
05-16-2009, 03:10 PM
I think every attraction at WDW can be enjoyed without seeing the movie first. After all, some of the time the movies come from the attractions like HM and POTC.

TheRustyScupper
05-16-2009, 08:00 PM
1) I have long thought today's guests miss something.
2) Without knowing the genesis of a ride, you don't get the full gist.
3) How many of today's guests, especially kids
. . . know the reason for Tom Sawyer Island?
. . . know why, or how, Dumbo flies?
. . . know why the teacups spin?
. . . know why Peter Pan flies over London?

NOTE: Before our first major trip, we rented as many Disney movies as we could, so the kids (and now grandkids) would know the backgrounds.

cer
05-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Swiss Family Robinson's Tree House is another attraction that doesn't mean much to folks without the movie...

iheartdisney
05-16-2009, 09:06 PM
1) I have long thought today's guests miss something.
2) Without knowing the genesis of a ride, you don't get the full gist.
3) How many of today's guests, especially kids
. . . know the reason for Tom Sawyer Island?
. . . know why, or how, Dumbo flies?
. . . know why the teacups spin?
. . . know why Peter Pan flies over London?

NOTE: Before our first major trip, we rented as many Disney movies as we could, so the kids (and now grandkids) would know the backgrounds.

My thoughts exactly! My kids are familiar with many of the movies. If fact, we just watched Song of the South today to prepare for our sons first ever turn on Splash Mountain on our upcoming trip. You may not NEED to have seen the movie first for any of the rides but it absolutely enhances your enjoyment of the attraction.

dmosher
05-16-2009, 10:38 PM
I don;t think it is really necessary to KNOW the films to enjoy the rides. there is currently another post asking the same thing for kids here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=154704). It is in any case in the same vein as this topic. Maybe it will help.
:pipes:
D

WVParkfan
05-18-2009, 12:21 PM
I would think that Festival of the Lion King wouldn't make as much sense without seeing the movie first.

Snow White's Scary Adventure would be a weird, dark ride if you didn't understand about SW's run through the forest.

Chic-a-pin
05-18-2009, 02:21 PM
While certainly not a ride, but years ago I hadn't seen Finding Nemo before we went to the World. I always get something for my nieces and nephews and my sister mentioned something Nemo. So I was looking at a little stuffed Nemo and thought something was wrong with it, so I picked up another one, same "problem"...one of the fins was smaller than the other one. I figured it was some manufacturing problem...then of course we got home and I WATCHED Finding Nemo, and lo and below, it WASN'T a factory problem with those fins! Boy did I feel stupid :blush:

brownie
05-18-2009, 02:34 PM
I think knowing the back story for an attraction can be helpful. Not all the attractions have an evident story. When we took our kids in 2003, I made out a list of movies to watch before we went to help them understand the attractions. We also read about each country in World Showcase.

GoldenDreams
05-18-2009, 07:53 PM
I've always loved the Peter Pan ride, but after seeing the movie as an adult, I've loved the ride even more. Particularly the beginning where you fly away from Nana. I had not remembered that she was the nanny and had been banished outside.

joonyer
05-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Even if you don't (or can't) watch "Song of the South", reading the Uncle Remus stories of Joel Chandler Harris (which I did as a kid) about Bre'rs Rabbit, Fox and Bear will help you understand the characters and storyline of Splash Mountain.

mermaidmarian
05-19-2009, 12:41 PM
I think the value of the remaining classic MK attractions like Swiss Family Tree House and Tom Sawyer's Island are possibly lost on a new generation of park guests who don't realize what an important place in the Walt DIsney legacy they hold.

Imagineer1981
05-19-2009, 04:47 PM
I think part of the magic of Disney is that you can ride any of the attractions and have a great time, even if you haven't seen the film. And some don't have any film connection. Look at Everest (no film) and BTMR, Small World, Haunted Mansion, Pirates (well no films when they were made). Even Dinosaur (which was originally Countdown to Extinction before the movie came out) was a great ride that had nothing to do with the later movie and still doesn't. If you saw the movie, you'd be like, "oh thats the little dino from Dinosaur" and it would be a little easter egg.

estein80
05-19-2009, 09:51 PM
My husband prides himself on saying that he's never seen an animated Disney movie (though his mom always told me that he was wrong) and he is a complete WDW lover. I did sit at the parade and tell him who everyone was so that he could tell our daughter correctly...

But to make my point, he hasn't seen the movies and it doesn't effect his trip at all. I do think that it enhances the trip for me.

the other micki
05-20-2009, 12:59 AM
I think it would be a good idea to see Monster's Inc. before visiting the Laugh Floor, just to understand the whole concept of gathering laughter to make energy for the monster world. (Plus it's a great movie!)

thejens
05-22-2009, 11:17 AM
IMHO
1. no amount of movie watching will make Stitch's great escape better or even tolerable
2. no need to watch any movies to love WDW
3. as a Disney obsessed fan I think everyone should watch every movie and read every book about Walt Disney to fully appreciate WDW and the genius of Walt

cgriff
05-25-2009, 09:31 AM
So I was looking at a little stuffed Nemo and thought something was wrong with it, so I picked up another one, same "problem"...one of the fins was smaller than the other one. I figured it was some manufacturing problem...then of course we got home and I WATCHED Finding Nemo, and lo and below, it WASN'T a factory problem with those fins! Boy did I feel stupid :blush:

Cute story Chic-a-pin! There's an example of where knowing the story of the movie would have been helpful...

kbean
05-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Yeah...Splash Mountain..... I never thought about that..... I went online to research the story behind that movie and why you can only get dubbed copies of it on the net. Thats my fav. ride and had to know what it was about.

LudwigVonDrake
05-25-2009, 03:21 PM
I remember seeing "It's Tough to be a Bug" BEFORE "A Bug's Life" came out and I had no clue who some of the characters were.

beksy
05-26-2009, 12:13 AM
I think that the movies are especially important for meeting the characters. When it comes to rides, I'll admit I've never seen Alice in Wonderland but I still love those teacups! The ones that I think would be the most important to have the movie as background would be Peter Pan, Snow White, Monster's Inc., and Stitch (if you brave that ride). I'm sure there are others but those are the ones off the top of my head.

disneykidsince1970
05-28-2009, 01:42 AM
While certainly not a ride, but years ago I hadn't seen Finding Nemo before we went to the World. I always get something for my nieces and nephews and my sister mentioned something Nemo. So I was looking at a little stuffed Nemo and thought something was wrong with it, so I picked up another one, same "problem"...one of the fins was smaller than the other one. I figured it was some manufacturing problem...then of course we got home and I WATCHED Finding Nemo, and lo and below, it WASN'T a factory problem with those fins! Boy did I feel stupid :blush:

hahaha - I did the EXACT same thing!

jszczur5
06-09-2009, 06:33 PM
I think you might enjoy Philharmagic more if you've seen the movies, and are familiar with the songs.

andreallybadeggs
06-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Swiss Family Robinson's Tree House is another attraction that doesn't mean much to folks without the movie...

Agreed-- and why so many people think it is entirely lame. Takes me way back to my childhood, though.:mickey:

bruin1344
06-19-2009, 01:01 PM
probably seeing the pixar movies like finding nemo, monsters inc., etc. would make me appreciate it those rides based off them since they bore me

splash mountain made me want to see song of south, luckily i had access to the movie, i think the ride made me appreciate the movie rather than the other way around

crltkcagle
06-19-2009, 05:19 PM
I think one should have some general knowledge of who tom sawyer is to really understand the attraction.

Lizzie
06-20-2009, 12:47 AM
About six months before each trip I like to go through my Disney movie collection and watch them from start to finish just as a refresher on charachters and names.

Kathy Jetson
06-20-2009, 01:21 AM
My ds5 loves Tom Sawyer island. I'm going to track the movie down before we go again in Oct. so he actually knows who he is.

PrincessJadesMom
06-20-2009, 03:48 PM
I agree with those that have said anyone can enjoy all of the rides without seeing the movies, but I guess it would help to know what's going on in the Peter Pan ride.
On the other hand, my daughter has seen (and does like) the Stitch movie, but the ride completely freaked her out. She was terrified. Same thing with the Bug's Life too.