PDA

View Full Version : Pedometer in the Parks

marlaine
05-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Every year that we go to WDW I always say I'm going to wear a pedometer so I know how much we've actually walked in the parks. I never have and I'm going to make a point of it this Sept.
Has anyone ever worn one? I've read that people walk anywhere from 6 to 10 miles per day. Just wondering.:mickey:

ledudes
05-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Yes, I tried it once. I think I got to around 8 miles one day and then the pedometer stopped working right for the rest of the day so I don't know how accurate it was. I had walked from BC to MGM for concert tickets, then back to BC then back again for the show, so that probably added a bit, but I would agree it is probably 6+miles a day since we start out early and go until night.

IDreamofEeyore
05-16-2009, 01:19 PM
I've always thought that would be interesting to do. Maybe I'll try it in July.

LorrieP
05-16-2009, 01:45 PM
I always wear one. I averaged about 7 miles per day.

Pop Centurion
05-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Funny, my girlfriend was just wondering how far we actually walk when in Disney. I said we should get a pedometer this year to see and now I see a post about it.

johnO
05-16-2009, 02:15 PM
How much do they usually cost? I think I'd like to try it too.

kakn7294
05-16-2009, 02:54 PM
I've thought about it but I didn't know how well it would work getting jostled on the rides and such. They never seem to work very well for me as it is.

marlaine
05-16-2009, 03:25 PM
How much do they usually cost? I think I'd like to try it too.

They're like a lot of things--you can pay as little or as much as you want. I've actually seen them for a dollar one time at Target. I think you'd have to pay at least $10 for a decent one. Since I'm pretty interested in it, I'm going to get a pretty good quality one. We're not going until Sept., but I'll let everyone know!;)

spoiledraf
05-16-2009, 04:05 PM
I tried one of those on my job, UPS man, as well as when I teke a daily run or walk with my wife and found they are so sensitive, every little bump or vibrations fron the rides will definately affect the actual reading yu get. And the different pace you walk wil also affect how accurate it is. The tiny shorts steps in line will register just as much as the long strides when trying to make an ADR on time. I would tend to subtract at least 15 to 20 percent of what ever it registers.

sainter
05-16-2009, 04:06 PM
I wore one once and it seemed like I had a few miles in the morning and then went on a rollercoaster (don't recall which one) and I had done like 4 or 5 miles in 5 minutes!! So I guess to be accurate, you would need to restart after every ride that bounces you around and add them all up at the end of the day! :D It will never happen with me...

Magic Smiles
05-16-2009, 06:54 PM
I have never worn a pedometer at WDW, but I thought that I had read somewhere that you average 12 miles a day while in WDW.

faline
05-16-2009, 07:14 PM
I wear a pedometer almost daily. Helps me meet my walking goals for each week. I've worn one at Disney several times and generally average abour 7 miles per day. While you spend a good amount of time on your feet, remember, you're not moving much while you're on line for rides.

SharkBait
05-16-2009, 10:23 PM
After reading all the posts, I asked my wife how much she thinks we average in 1 day. Her response was i don't know, 40 miles?........I couldn't help but laugh. In her defense though, sometimes it does feels like 40.

Sweetpea29488
05-22-2009, 12:50 PM
I did this when I started Weight Watchers. Mine showed that we walked around 10 miles per day.

Mickey'sGirl
05-22-2009, 01:26 PM
We've used a pedometer. We averaged about 7 miles per day.

merlinmagic4
05-22-2009, 02:43 PM
My daughter wore one on our last trip and we averaged 8 miles per day! I wasn't sure if the bumps on the roller coasters would have an effect or not.....they did not seem to but I didn't pay very close attention.

malip
05-26-2009, 09:41 AM
My wife has worn one many times and the farthest we walked in one day was 13 miles. This was done while hopping from DHS to Epcot and back. Needless to say we were very surprised at the total.

Gusgus
05-27-2009, 12:00 PM
The calories burned with the extra walking never seems to be more than the calories I eat when a DW.

Gusgus

caryrae
05-27-2009, 01:53 PM
I got my wife one earlier this year made by Omron and it's pretty neat. It comes with software so you can plug the pedometer into the PC to track your daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly progress. It will keep track of your Steps, Aerobic steps and minutes, Calories, and Distance. It cost around $33 on Amazon.

JabberJaws
05-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Yeah my wife and I toted one around one time. I think on our peak-walking day, trucking around the MK, for a full-day, and bouncing back and forth from one end of the park to another, we hit between 8-9 miles.

We were working for Dis Co. at the time so knew our way around the parks pretty well, knew all the shortcuts, etc. So it probably could have been more!

tjstrike
05-28-2009, 11:19 PM
I have one built into my cell phone and on our last trip, (8 days) we walked a grand total of 54 miles !!!

hubbyofadisneyholic
05-29-2009, 08:27 PM
The calories burned with the extra walking never seems to be more than the calories I eat when a DW.

Gusgus

Isn't that the truth!! :exactly:

jaguarfeather
06-02-2009, 04:22 PM
I was curious about my walk lengths, too, so when I got home, I called up Google Earth and used the Path tool to mark out my route through Epcot, where I walked the most. It was about 6 miles, total.
Add in five more theme parks in a week, and this 54 y. old was kinda tired!
If they'd keep making the food more expensive, I just wouldn't eat at the parks and then this would be an exercise plan.
:walk: