PDA

View Full Version : Bad News...Lost my job

PirateLover
05-16-2009, 12:13 AM
If you are a frequent poster, you may have noticed that I have dropped off a bit in my posting. I haven't been responding as much in some of my favorite threads and I've maybe done 2 or 3 posts a day when I would usually do 10 or more. You may know that I had a lot of trouble landing a teaching job out of college, but I finally got one in August. My job has been so stressful and time consuming lately, especially with graduation coming up (I teach 8th grade) that I haven't had as much free time. Last month I had my yearly review with the principal. I knew the school was in financial trouble and that they would be constricting, and my job might be at risk as I have the least seniority. I asked her straight up if I definitely was coming back last year and she looked me right in the eyes and said "Oh yes, definitely." Well today they told me they had to let me go. Apparently they were counting on another teacher to retire, and she wouldn't do it. So I'm the odd one out now. I could rant about how incompetant some of the other teachers are that get to stay because of whatever reason, but I won't. I'm taking the high road and will remain professional through the duration of the year. I have been through so much this year (with the kids: Bullying, sexual deviance, cutting, suicide attempts. Myself: having to teach extra subjects like Spanish and Music and having my homeroom changed 2 months into the year, being left alone on certain occasions to deal with parents and kids in regards to some of the aforementioned issues, etc).

I now have LOTS of experience to draw from in one short year, and I know that I will give much better interviews this time around. What I am nervous about though is that it has been on the news that many schools are having to let people go...and yesterday was one year until my wedding, which I have to pay for partially, and my fiancee and I put money down on an apartment that we were planning to move into in July. This was such an exciting time for us and now we have this cloud hanging over our heads...we can't afford to move out if I don't find another teaching job.
I am young and resilient, but I'm also scared and nervous for my future, and I'm sad to leave these children that I've grown so attached to this year, and that I won't be there for my graduates to come back and visit me. A little pixie dust would be very appreciated. Thank you Intercot for giving me a place to vent... I love you guys.

ILoveLegos
05-16-2009, 01:38 AM
:hug: Hang in there, hopefully better times are ahead.

AuntKari
05-16-2009, 01:41 AM
So many people are experiencing different heartaches through this recession. Everyone can support you because if it has not happened to us it has happened to a good friend or family member. Count your blessings of a roof over your head, a wife, your health. Don't forget the good things and trust that there is a better plan for you ahead. Take any kind of work that you can in the meantime-anything-any money and getting out among others is good! Don't let your pride get in the way. Keep your love and passion for those kids-bless you for being a teacher-we need people like you!Hang in there and know people are praying for you. Aunt Kari

tadshome
05-16-2009, 03:14 AM
:hug::pixie::hug:
I am so sorry to hear your news. Hopefully a new one will come along soon.

vizsla
05-16-2009, 05:23 AM
Sorry to hear about losing your job.

mickeys_princess_mom
05-16-2009, 06:35 AM
Sorry to hear that PirateLover! Our schools are tightening the belts, too. Sounds like they're letting go of a choice teacher who's in it for the right reasons. I know somebody else will snap you up. There are lots of children out there who need your help--maybe your heart and talents are meant to be spread around. Hang in there, and let us know how things go for you.

:hug::teach:

deedeenmickey
05-16-2009, 07:36 AM
I am sorry you lost your job. I have lost my job on 2 occaisions one downsizing and one plant closings. Both times I thought it was the end of the world and both times it was very good for me. Please stay strong and go with it. I'm sure there is a plan for you.;)

Ian
05-16-2009, 07:44 AM
That really stinks, Maryanne. I'm so sorry to hear that.

Hopefully, by the time the next school year starts, this recession will have lightened a little bit and things will be better.

Jeff
05-16-2009, 07:52 AM
Tough news indeed.
Good luck to you in your search for another job.

RedSoxFan
05-16-2009, 08:05 AM
:pixie::pixie::pixie:that you'll find another job soon.

pianobabe
05-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Lots of :hug: and :pixie: coming your way.

Mousefever
05-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Maryanne,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've lost your job. It's very tough to be living with uncertainty. You are resilient, passionate about teaching, and it sounds like you've developed many skills in the past year. I think there will be a school that recognizes those qualities in you! Keep your chin up and know that we are all pulling for you!

Amy

SBETigg
05-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Maryanne, I'm so sorry. You have experience, which puts you in a better spot for finding a new job. Even though schools are always laying off around here lately, it seems they're always hiring and rehiring, too. Best wishes that you find something you love, and fast. But I know it can't be easy. Schools are communities and leaving that community can be sad.

I have really missed you on the AI thread and I hope you'll be back for the finale. :)

kakn7294
05-16-2009, 02:51 PM
MaryAnne, I'm so sorry to hear that. Hopefully that year of experience will pay off and a new job will come along soon. Good luck and :pixie: to you!

DisneyWhirled
05-16-2009, 04:25 PM
I wish you the best, Maryanne. Somehow, it will all work out, and maybe you might find a even better teaching job. It sounds like you really love your job and the kids, any school would be luck to have you!!

God Bless!

PirateLover
05-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks a lot everyone. I know I've grown a lot this year. It's a matter of the positions being out there, and getting one soon so that we don't have to lose this apartment. Hopefully I get something that is better paying. I've already sent out a few resumes. The principal, pastor, and two fellow teachers all offered to write recommendations so hopefully I get those soon. The only thing that doesn't sit too well is that yesterday was the absolute last day they could've legally told me. Also, the other teacher was asked to retire the very next day after my review in which I was promised a job. (And believe me, there could be no misunderstanding, I was walking on sunshine for a week at least) so I feel as if I was slightly misled and lost a whole month of job searching with this being such a crucial time in my life.

I'm not gonna lie, it really has me bummed and I'm finding it hard to muster a smile... but I'm still trying to persevere because I know that moping around will get me nowhere.

barnaby
05-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Sorry to hear.
Keep your head up and best of luck.

cer
05-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Hang in there, girl. I am glad to hear that you had a difficult but successful year. I taught for 3 years and totally understand about the whole 'seniority' thing. I never could get seniority either, b/c I was always the new one on the grade level and therefore the one who was moved to a different campus, different grade level, etc. Each year I changed - and it was ick! I am not teaching now, I have been out of it for 14 years. Something will come up, although the sooner the better, I know.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Pixie dust that you find a job soon. I'm hoping that the ecomony turns around quickly. We've sold a few Rolexs at the jewelry store that I work at part time so hopefully that's a good sign. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
:pixie::pixie::pixie:

badkitty
05-17-2009, 07:38 PM
So sorry to hear. Hopefully you get good news soon.

EllieMae
05-17-2009, 09:13 PM
I am sorry to hear about your job loss. I am a teacher too and have been in a similar situation when trying to find a new job. I finally got hired where I am now the Friday before school started and have been there a few years now. I love my school and everyone there so much more than my old school so I truly believe that everything happens for a reason. I hope that you find a job sooner than that, but just know that when you do find one it will be the perfect fit for you. :)

2Epcot
05-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Sorry to hear that Maryanne. I have a friend who teaches 8th grade English. She had been at her school 5 years and recenlty took over teaching advanced English from a retiring teacher. She was happy about that, but has now been told she will be sent to some yet determined school who needs teachers... Though she says at least she will have a job. I hope things work out for you and you find a new job as well.

LauraF
05-18-2009, 09:49 AM
I know how you feel - I'm finally temping at a job after being laid off for six months! (I have hope that it'll turn into a FT offer in another month or two. :thumbsup: ) I had just bought a house a few months before and if it hadn't been for tax credits (and emptying my savings) I probably would be living in my parents' basement right now.

The thing to remember is that it isn't fair, and it's okay to be mad. Go ahead and mope too - it helps. It took me almost two months before I could go through my box of stuff that I empyted out of my desk. Don't let anybody convince you that you have to keep your chin up ALL the time . . . it's okay.

Once the necessary survival items were settled, I looked at this time as a much-needed vacation. Yes I was searching for jobs full time, but I also could sleep in late, eat what I wanted and walk around in my PJs if I so chose. It was weird at first - I had no anchor on my days and they all just started to blend together, but in retrospect it brough me much closer to my family (since I spent all day at home).

The good thing is that economy is turning around, slowly. I'm seeing more job postings in the paper and online than I was just a few weeks ago, so I have hope that more companies are hiring as they start to get over their nerves from politics and other global issues.

Hang in there!

murphy1
05-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Oh, no, Maryanne, I am so sorry this happened to you! This economy stinks. I have been laid off twice in my life and so has John due to the economy. I have no real loyalty to any company anymore and am tired of the way things have become. I get mad about how they are treating all of you wonderful teachers in this country, we have a hiring freeze next year and non County people can't get it, I was thinking of becoming a parapro for Kindergarten, but can't get in now, so I might sub. Hang in there!!

MNNHFLTX
05-18-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm sorry for all the stress this puts you under, MaryAnne. And I will most definitely keep my fingers crossed that an even better job opens up. Hang in there. :pixie:

princessgirls
05-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Maryanne,

Keep your faith strong! Things happen for a reason, and I'm sure a better job will come for you.

Hang in there.

I'm sorry this had to happen to you.
Julie:mickey:

laprana
05-18-2009, 05:17 PM
I'm so sorry you're going through this! Sending you lots of :pixie::pixie: that you'll find a new, and better, job very soon!

Princess'Mom
05-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Sending you lots of :pixie::pixie: that you'll find another job very soon! Hang in there!