PDA

View Full Version : Is this line jumping?

bdm@pga
05-15-2009, 01:02 PM
I see a lot of discussion about line jumping and saving spaces, and for the most part I agree with people that large groups should not have 1 person wait and then jump in. Like wise, if a father is holding the place for a mother and a daughter who had to go to the bathroom, that is ok. So let me ask this:

In camp Mickey at AK, is it ok for Dad to wait in one character line, while mom and daughter wait in another to see the characters? Then when DW and DD are finished, they get in with DH for the next character?

Your opinions are welceom:mickey:

TheRustyScupper
05-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Yes.

Disney Doll
05-15-2009, 01:34 PM
I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that, but I wouldn't be super irritated if someone else did unless they all wanted separate photos or something.

Stu29573
05-15-2009, 01:55 PM
My rule of thumb is that if you have to ask, it probably is....:thumbsup:

gerald72
05-15-2009, 02:23 PM
I'd also say that's fine.

Seasonscraps
05-15-2009, 02:36 PM
I would consider that line jumping.

DizneyRox
05-15-2009, 02:56 PM
textbook...

RBrooksC
05-15-2009, 03:11 PM
No matter what the situation, if you have to pass by people to get where you want to go, it is line jumping. If members of your party need to use the facilities, you wait for them OUTSIDE the restrooms, then all get in line together.

The reason why is not at issue. It is the action that is at issue.

FaithTrustPixieDust
05-15-2009, 03:12 PM
I think the original post started with "is this line jumping" , but then switched to "is this ok?"

I'll just chime in and say:
Yes, I'd call it line jumping and
No, it's not ok

Not the biggest crime imaginable, but picture this: It's probably mostly excited, impatient children behind you in line. . . .whose parents are calming repeating "it's ok, honey, it will be our turn soon . . . " and then . . . .

BAM! your (adorable) child gets ushered in right in front of their eyes. You just might cause a total meltdown (if not the child, then quite possibly their parent!), and then you'd have to choose between that kid's meltdown and your own child's meltown if you decide that cutting in wasn't the most considerate thing to do. :mickey:

brownie
05-15-2009, 03:17 PM
So would it not be okay wait in two different lines at a counter service restaurant to get the faster line?

I would think it would be okay. It's sort of like getting a fastpass.

tink179
05-15-2009, 03:40 PM
It's so ok! If your family is taking one picture it doesn't matter. What's the big deal? Someone is waiting in line??? I could see there kinda being a a problem if you're holding it for friends, and each person wants their own individual picture, but if you're a family and only needing one picture, I think it's fine. Also, as long as your whole group is there in line when it's your turn I don't see a problem with it either. If you're also in line for the LK show at AK and someone has to run to the bathroom, why is it not okay for someone to jump out of line while DH waits with the other kids?

GINNY69
05-15-2009, 03:47 PM
I would consider it line jumping. I think its very inconsiderate for a person to line jump. The sad part is people who line jump always seem to have some smug look on there face like they knew what they were doing was wrong and they don't care. I would probably be alot more patient if I knew it was a small child who had to use the restroom other than that Its just rude all around..:rant:

DizneyRox
05-15-2009, 03:49 PM
So would it not be okay wait in two different lines at a counter service restaurant to get the faster line?

Actually, the difference would be, you're only ordering from one of the cashiers. So, when you leave one line to order from the quicker cashier, the other line gets shorter.

It's not at all like getting a fastpass. Think of Mickey and Minnie at two seperate attractions. You can only get a fastpass for one.

JRocker
05-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Is it line jumping? Um, yes.
Is it okay? Well, no.
Is it going to bother me? Only if your holding a spot for eight of your relatives. I'm on vacation, I don't let the little stuff bother me.

I've taken all three of my kids to WDW at varying ages, from 18 months on up to 20 (this year). And I know this is a little off the topic of the opening post, but from my experience with my children, the "had to go to bathroom" excuse is pure bunk. Either wait till the ride is done, or get out of line as a family. Or you could be really responsible and hit the bathroom before you hop in a long line.
I know that I have just torqued a lot of people off with that statement, but it is the simple truth.
Been there, done that, and I chose to be responsible and courteous and teach my children a little of the same.

GrumpyFan
05-15-2009, 04:06 PM
While everyone would like to be able to get to the front as quickly as possible, I think it's somewhat rude and inconsiderate to pass others who have been waiting just as long, regardless of the situation. Very few might actually say anything, but most will probably feel some animosity or envy toward you. I fight this feeling myself sometimes when I'm in the standby line and I see others going ahead in the fastpass line, even though I know that everybody has equal access to Fastpass. The reverse is true also, when I'm in the fastpass line I sometimes feel like people are giving me the "evil eye" because I'm "passing" them.

BriarRose
05-15-2009, 04:08 PM
I absolutely think this is line jumping. I am a little more understanding about someone who was already in line and then a small child had to go to the restroom. If they hadn't already been in line and sent someone ahead to get in line and then joined them, then that is line jumping. In that case, I think the entire party should wait to get in line together.

I just can't see what reason someone would have for having mom and child in one line then joining dad in the other line other than they didn't want to wait along with everyone else.

deedeenmickey
05-15-2009, 04:26 PM
I agree that it is line jumping because why wouldn't everybody do this if this was okay? You could get through all of the lines faster it would just be a the expense of the people who are doing it the correct way. People would be going from line to line to line. Then what if you get to the front before your wife and daughter? Are they going to leave thier line to join you?

LoriR
05-15-2009, 04:38 PM
When you are waiting for a show to begin, and it doesn't start for over an hour, I don't see why one parent shouldn't wait in the line while the other parent takes the kids somewhere else until closer to the start time. I have always asked cast members if this is okay and they have said yes. (The last time was a 1 1/2 hour wait before the NEMO show at AK.) Why should I punish everyone near me with my whining toddler asking when the show will start when he could go somewhere else and then come back?

As far as kids needing to go to the bathroom, I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with that. If you have been waiting 45 minutes and your child has to go, it seems unfair to expect a small child to understand that then they have to wait another 45 minutes again. It isn't like you "jumped" ahead-- you waited like everyone else did, and someone continued to wait while you went to the bathroom with the kid. And if you are the parent of a very young child, then you know that even when you take them to the bathroom, they don't always think they need to go until they REALLY need to go.

joanna71985
05-15-2009, 05:27 PM
I see a lot of discussion about line jumping and saving spaces, and for the most part I agree with people that large groups should not have 1 person wait and then jump in. Like wise, if a father is holding the place for a mother and a daughter who had to go to the bathroom, that is ok. So let me ask this:

In camp Mickey at AK, is it ok for Dad to wait in one character line, while mom and daughter wait in another to see the characters? Then when DW and DD are finished, they get in with DH for the next character?

Your opinions are welceom:mickey:

The example you gave here is line jumping. Character Attendants want people to keep their entire party together when getting into a character line.

dmosher
05-15-2009, 05:45 PM
While I can kind of see both sides to this (yes there are always SOME exceptions), in the end this is still line jumping. True I may see this ahead of me and grumble a bit, DW would be yelling at you from a distance.

It is considered rude. We talked about this and both agree that if you were by yourself, would you do the same thing? If the answer is NO then it is line jumping.
:pipes:
D

Ian
05-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Personally, I think it's not line jumping and it's totally fine.

If someone is in front of me in a line, I don't care if it's the Dad or the kid who gets their picture taken. My expectation is that that person is in front of me. Now if they drag 10 kids in and they all take turns, that's a different story.

One kid, though? No. No problem.

This is the way I define line jumping ... if anyone behind me is going to have to wait longer than what they would have normally because of my actions, then I've cut the line. In this case, no one will so it's fine.

DizneyRox
05-15-2009, 06:37 PM
It actually is impacting others.

For example:

Line A (Mickey Mouse) - Wait Time 45 minutes
Line B (Pooh) - Wait Time 30 minutes

Scenario A
2:00pm - Mom and child get into Line B
2:00pm - Dad gets into Line A

2:30pm child and mom meet Pooh.
2:45pm child, mom and dad meet Mickey.

2:46 - Child, mom and dad all head over to Dinosaur for a ride (wait time 60 minutes)

Scenario B
2:00pm - Mom, dad, and child get into Line B
2:30pm - Mom, dad and child meet Pooh
2:31pm - Mom, dad and child get into Line A
3:16pm - Mom, dad and child meet Mickey

3:17pm Child, mom and dad all head over to Dinosaur for a ride (wait time 90 minutes because the parade is over)

So, yes these do impact other people. Granted, Dad didn't see Pooh, but who cares about Pooh anyway. Mom and child saw two things in the time it takes others to see one. Also, the wait time on Line A is longer with you in that line than without you in it holding a spot for poeple who are doing something else.

It's not like fastpass since you generally can't hold two at the same time (yes I know, but there are limits on when you can with the 2 hour wait, etc). But others are impacted by this.

In the grand scheme of things, not a huge deal, and the Disney cops won't press charges, but there is an impact.

Marker
05-15-2009, 06:55 PM
So, if you bring enough of a posse with you, enough for someone to wait in each line, then your child could do all the pictures in just a couple of minutes.

I don't think I would be comfortable doing it. And I wouldn't be thrilled if someone did it in front of me. But that's just me

Iluvpooh
05-15-2009, 07:07 PM
One person trading out for one person, not a big deal.(That is if Mom & Dad aren't going up too)
Dad holding a spot for wife, 2 daughters and a son._ BIG DEAL! I've seen this several times and really the only time it bothers me is if I am in line with my kids. I don't agree that your kids are better than mine and should be able to "line wander".

Daddy Mouse
05-15-2009, 08:17 PM
I do not consider this line jumping, nor do I think it is rude. I think it is good time management.

If this offends people then I am guilty of doing this exact thing 15 years ago. Kids and I got on teacups and DW, who can't handle the spinning, took a couple of pictures and then got into line for dumbo. When the kids were finished riding the teacups they joined their mother in a short line for Dumbo. I'm afraid of flying elephants, but I did take a few pictures while they rode.

If I offended anyone by doing this then I am sorry you were offended, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

kbean
05-15-2009, 09:29 PM
But what if your dad gets so excited waiting in line, that by the time he gets up there for your turn....he acts like he doesn't know you and greets the character for himself?

Giggy
05-15-2009, 09:33 PM
but who cares about Pooh anyway.
:eyes: :sadwave:

Other than that you make a good point. I'm undecided on all of this if I'm honest. In terms of bathroom breaks with young children you don't normally have much of a choice. A young child can go from not needing to go at all to being not able to hold on much longer in under a minute!

In terms of holding places in line it seems wrong if it means people behind are slowed down/held back as a result. With character meets as long as they are taking the one single photo it doesn't matter if just one guy is in it or his whole family in terms of queue time for others. Though as you said if all 3 waited in line for both then this is shorter by comparison.1 person holding a place in line for a dozen other people seems unfair also.

hubbyofadisneyholic
05-15-2009, 10:26 PM
The tortured logic some people are willing to toss out there to justify putting themselves ahead of others never ceases to amaze me.

Sorry...Your time is no more valuable than mine, mine is no more valuable than anyone else's.
If everybody would just chill instead of constantly looking for an edge at other's expense things would be a lot more relaxing for everyone.

And isn't relaxing and having fun what we are all supposed to be there for???

mom2mickeyfan
05-15-2009, 11:29 PM
If I was a single parent I would be offended that 2 parent children would have an advantage over my children since 1 parent would have no way of doing this. A single parent's children would have no choice but to wait in both lines for the full time. I am not a single parent but was raised by a single mom and can see how this could offend a single parent.

The bathroom thing I am alittle more forgiving. As long as you are just running to the rest room and coming straight back. In fact, if there was still lots of time to wait, I wouldn't mind holding the place of a stranger that was in front of me if they had to run their child to the bathroom.

Live4WDW
05-15-2009, 11:32 PM
everyone is in a hurry today. Seems like there has always been line jumpers and rude people. Just more so today. I myself have issues with this, and I believe it is line jumping. At the same time however, one can not always control their bladder. Older folk, young children, even those with certain medical conditions. Would that bother me? Not really. I am bothered by those who, and it has happened in front of me before where 1 person is in front of me, and they will call there friends on a cell phone and tell them how close they are to getting on a ride and then out of no where here comes a group of 5 to 10 people with big smiles on their faces, and might even look at me like this is approved behavior and o.k. Alas, I try not to get angry about it, as stated above it is my vacation. Any time there is a line of people and someone enters the line from anywhere but the back, yes it is line breaking. I Do as I would have others do to me. :mickey:

tjstrike
05-15-2009, 11:57 PM

There's nothing wrong with this because you're ordering the same amount of food either way, the people behind you in the line you decide to use are no worse off because you were going to order the same either way.

wdwfansince75
05-16-2009, 08:47 AM
In all of our trips to WDW, I have never "held a place" for a family member in any line.....I have left lines when a child or grandchild needed to go to the bathroom.....but can't count the times I have had people doing it to me. My rule....If I find something irritating, I consider it rude, and therefore, something I would not intentionally do to someone else.

I find that when someone asks if something is ok, they have their doubts.

The OP asked about occupying 2 spaces in two different lines....that is just as rude as being in two different lines for a single ride, as often happened before fast pass (Remember "the line on the right is the longest") . And yes, I did see parties jump back and forth between lines.

The "two lines for CS meals is different"....only one will order. No real gain to the offending party.

Ian
05-16-2009, 08:49 AM
In the grand scheme of things, not a huge deal, and the Disney cops won't press charges, but there is an impact.Okay ... interesting points. You're right. I didn't really think of that aspect.

You know I'm going to be totally honest ... I still just don't care. I honestly can't get on board with sweating out 30 extra seconds waiting in line. It's just not my thing.

Line holding, place holding, spot holding ... to me it's just not a big deal at all. If it helps some kid see three characters in 30 minutes instead of two then I'm okay with it.

Should it be abused? No. But within reason I just can't see why people get in such a twist over it.

BluewaterBrad
05-16-2009, 08:55 AM
Yes it is, but it is also skipping when anyone holds a spot in line. Period. I dont let people go by. I tell the person holding the spot to get in the back. I dont tolerate it. Line jumpers, holders, etc. are bullies!!

Skippy
05-16-2009, 09:23 AM
I don't feel it's ok. If you want to see the character, you should wait with everyone else.

As for the bathroom emergency - that's different. If you were ahead of me and your little one has an all of the sudden "I gotta go pee" then I don't see the harm in taking care of the situation and getting your space back (I've held for a stranger before). You were ahead of me before, and by getting back in line I would have waited the same amount.

Pally
05-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Okay ... interesting points. You're right. I didn't really think of that aspect.

You know I'm going to be totally honest ... I still just don't care. I honestly can't get on board with sweating out 30 extra seconds waiting in line. It's just not my thing.

Line holding, place holding, spot holding ... to me it's just not a big deal at all. If it helps some kid see three characters in 30 minutes instead of two then I'm okay with it.

Should it be abused? No. But within reason I just can't see why people get in such a twist over it.

The problem is so many people are doing this! I have seen many times not just one person but several doing it. I cannot see how it does not become aggravating. :mad:

The point is if one person says it fine, no big deal, don't sweat the small stuff the abuse will only increase. You have just given permission to those who are rude enough to do it. I am afraid it will become a free for all. Being passive is one thing. But, over the years I feel like I have been abused. I would never consider doing it. It seems people just don't care who they hurt or offend so long as they are on top and that is all that matters. Then, you create little monsters who feel the rules don't apply to them.

As they say "patience is a virtue." So please wait your turn. :mickey:

TheVBs
05-16-2009, 12:05 PM
I have to agree with Ian here. Unless one person is holding a spot for several people, not just one child, I just can't be bothered over it because it's not going to make my wait longer.

We stick together, because frankly, splitting up in such a big place stresses me out. I would be far more stressed trying to manage two lines than one, and it's not our choice to do it that way, because we're on vacation and we're not going to worry about it.

And, seriously, if you're miffed because a child had to go potty and are going to insist they start back at the end of the line - that's just mean.

grwoolf
05-16-2009, 12:26 PM
When you are waiting for a show to begin, and it doesn't start for over an hour, I don't see why one parent shouldn't wait in the line while the other parent takes the kids somewhere else until closer to the start time. I have always asked cast members if this is okay and they have said yes. (The last time was a 1 1/2 hour wait before the NEMO show at AK.) Why should I punish everyone near me with my whining toddler asking when the show will start when he could go somewhere else and then come back?

As far as kids needing to go to the bathroom, I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with that. If you have been waiting 45 minutes and your child has to go, it seems unfair to expect a small child to understand that then they have to wait another 45 minutes again. It isn't like you "jumped" ahead-- you waited like everyone else did, and someone continued to wait while you went to the bathroom with the kid. And if you are the parent of a very young child, then you know that even when you take them to the bathroom, they don't always think they need to go until they REALLY need to go.

I absolutely agree with the bathroom issue. I don't think we ever had to do this with our kids, but I have absolutely no issue with this and would not hesitate to do this with a young child (or even an adult for that matter).

Holding a place in line for a show is more of a grey area. I don't think I would do it, but I have no problem with others doing it. I don't like it when people hold a spot in a non-show attraction line. Not sure why I feel differently about the show vs. non-show, I just do.

RBrooksC
05-16-2009, 12:42 PM
If you give Carte Blanche to one group for what you see as a legitimate reason then those with less than legitimate reasons will take advantage.

Did you ever see the Simpson's episode where there was a new exhibit at the museum? Ned Flanders was at the front and he is so nice he let Homer and family cut in line. This enraged and emboldened the others in line to do the same thing. The next thing Ned was at the back of the line.

Yes, extreme example but it proves the point that you let somebody with a legitimate reason to move ahead in line everybody will feel they have the "right" to do the same thing.

Tell me, for those who say some reasons are legitimate, who is to make the determination? You? Me? Joe Schlub over there who just cut ahead of people? When there is a rule like this, it needs to be the same across the line. If you cut in front of people, for whatever reason, you get the punishment described by Disney. And, you make sure this rule is posted on one's ticket, keycard, in the resort rooms, and nice and large before one enters the park.

So, basically, if you know a queue is going to be 45 minutes, you make a bathroom run prior to entering the line. And if you break the rule, for whatever reason, be prepared to pay the consequences.

Ian
05-16-2009, 01:00 PM
The problem is so many people are doing this! I have seen many times not just one person but several doing it. I cannot see how it does not become aggravating. :mad: No, I hear ya. I mean I do understand why people get upset with it ... although I have to admit I think some people might get a tad carried away and get a little too militant about it. I mean, if you get cracked up because some poor kid leaves a line to go to the bathroom you might need a Valium or something.

But anyway, I think it's because we go so often that I just don't get worked up about it. I figure that 90% of the people getting in lines in front of me have maybe never ridden the ride before or are visiting for the first time. Me? I've been on the thing probably 100 times at least and I just don't mind waiting an extra minute or two or three.

It's just not something that gets me worked up.

Now people who try to jump in front of you at the last minute for parade viewing? That's a different story! :thedolls:

dtootsie42
05-16-2009, 01:02 PM
I guess I do consider this line jumping. I just feel the entire family should wait in line together.

Dec. 1997---Contemporary
Dec. 1999--Poly
June 2000--Disneyland
Dec. 2001---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2003---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2005---Poly Concierge
Nov. 2007---Poly Concierge
Oct. 2008--DisneyLand
Next trip Dec. 2009--Poly Concierge

spoiledraf
05-16-2009, 04:15 PM
If you don't wait and sweat in the same hot sun as me, you don't deserve the reward. As a poster very early in the thread stated, if you felt you have to ask the uestion, you already know it's not rhe right thing to do. You are basically asking permission to cheat. Why are so many people so bent on finding a way to beat the honor system of being a good Disney fan???:(

RBrooksC
05-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Why are so many people so bent on finding a way to beat the honor system of being a good Disney fan???:(

Because if they can find a way to justify a reason why one should be allowed to cut in line, they feel they have Carte Blanche to do it when they want.

If I am waiting in line for an attraction, I don't care why one didn't wait with there group, but you don't get in front of me. I don't care if 100 people behind me thought it was ok, I don't so you wait.

I have done it many times and one time I gave the little punk a choice. He could wait behind me or we could have a chat with a park supervisor. I let him know he could explain why he thought he could walk through the line to get to people about to board and complain that I wouldn't let him by me. I suggested if he sided with me, he and his friends could escorted from the park due to what was written on the park map.

I assure you, he stayed behind me and did not ride with his friends.

Hull-onian
05-16-2009, 06:36 PM

Wouldn't a fast pass be great? Come back when it's your turn. How cool would that be?:secret:

LudwigVonDrake
05-16-2009, 06:50 PM
I consider it line jumping and rude to the people standing behind you. Sorry :wave:

dmosher
05-16-2009, 07:19 PM
IN the end I think it boils down to the fact of abuse. If one person goes ahead we are fine with it (well I am not) but if 10 do we get upset. Sadly there really is no gray area here. Either it IS OK or it IS NOT OK. Period.
I have seen a few people use the food and or bathroom as a defense to this logic, but seriously... it does not apply here. We are talking about jumping ques while others obey the rules. Plain and simple. Everyone is equal in WDW and we need to respect that when we wait in lines, from the line jumper to the smoker, etc. Everyone must obey and follow the rules regardless of the inconvenience of it. Sorry that's just how it is.
:pipes:
D

gerald72
05-17-2009, 07:41 AM
If I was a single parent I would be offended that 2 parent children would have an advantage over my children since 1 parent would have no way of doing this. A single parent's children would have no choice but to wait in both lines for the full time. I am not a single parent but was raised by a single mom and can see how this could offend a single parent.

The bathroom thing I am alittle more forgiving. As long as you are just running to the rest room and coming straight back. In fact, if there was still lots of time to wait, I wouldn't mind holding the place of a stranger that was in front of me if they had to run their child to the bathroom.

Two parents are also paying twice as much to get in as one parent. If they choose to split up their time, that's their perogative.

gerald72
05-17-2009, 07:50 AM
Each person in line = one picture/ one autograph / X amount of time

If you choose to step aside and let your child take your place, it is still one picture / one autograph, same amount of time. PERFECTLY FINE

If you let 5 family members in with you and you all get your picture taken together it is still one picture, but possibly 6 autographs and a little more time. QUESTIONABLE

If you let 5 family member in with you and you all get your picture taken separately it is 6 pictures, 6 autographs and lots more time. RUDE!!!!

iheartdisney
05-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Is it line jumping? Um, yes.
Is it okay? Well, no.
Is it going to bother me? Only if your holding a spot for eight of your relatives. I'm on vacation, I don't let the little stuff bother me.

My thoughts exactly!

WDW5150
05-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Two parents are also paying twice as much to get in as one parent. If they choose to split up their time, that's their perogative.

WOW!! I am really glad you feel that way. We just went for a grand gathering with 13 adults and 9 kids. It is great to know that since we paid so much more than everyone else that we are allowed to do this!!:thumbsup:

RBrooksC
05-17-2009, 06:06 PM

That's all fine and good. You may split up your time. However, you are not going to do it at the expense of me.

The rules of line jumping still apply. So basically, for no reason should have the "privilege" of sliding past those who have waited patiently in line while you split your time doing "something else."

Aggie97
05-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Each person in line = one picture/ one autograph / X amount of time

If you choose to step aside and let your child take your place, it is still one picture / one autograph, same amount of time. PERFECTLY FINE

If you let 5 family members in with you and you all get your picture taken together it is still one picture, but possibly 6 autographs and a little more time. QUESTIONABLE

If you let 5 family member in with you and you all get your picture taken separately it is 6 pictures, 6 autographs and lots more time. RUDE!!!!

This is how I feel about it as well. If you're still doing just one photo and autograph, then it does not really have an effect on my WDW experience. :mickey:

biodtl
05-18-2009, 07:34 AM
I can see both sides of this. On one hand, since it really isn't adding much time to my wait, as it will still be one photo - the few extra seconds of interaction time wouldn't be a big deal. And I tend to be more accepting of place-holding, etc when it comes to kids (I do get frustrated when a whole slew of people do it).

But on the other hand, I can completely understand people being mad about it, and the OP should not be surprised if someone gets upset or speaks up about it.

RBrooksC
05-18-2009, 08:26 AM
There really aren't two sides to this. It is a matter of cutting into a line or not. The reason isn't germane.

It is allowing people who have NOT been standing in line to bypass those who have been. That is line cutting and Disney does not allow it.

I don't do it, my family doesn't do it, I won't allow my children, when they get older to do it, and I resent anybody who feels they have the right to do it because of a "certain situation."

If Disney or any other theme park would actually follow through with there punishment for said offense, one might see less people saying, "well, under these circumstances..."

bdm@pga
05-18-2009, 09:58 AM
WOW, a lot of opinions on this, thats why I left mine out at first just to see what the response was. I have been in both situations. First, I have been in line for a ride when suddenly A LARGE GROUP meets up with their group leader and enters the ride. THATS NOT RIGHT!!! Cast members have defended that action in the past especially if the group was international....but I also feel that the "one picture" idea is realistic. I feel that it is good time management, and to be honest, if Disney was interested in helping me manage my time, more places would be like the character greeting in Epcot. Disneyland is full of these situations were you wait in 1 line to see many characters. However, there are few places like this in WDW. Animal Kingdom would be a great opportunity for this and I have created my own opportunity. Where I draw the line is groups. I would never stand in line and then have 5 or 6 people join me. That is unfair to everyone. But if It is just me, or even my large party, waiting in line and my wife and daughter joins us, then I don't see how that impacts everyone else. We are getting the same amount of pictures regardless.

As far as waiting for a show, one person running ahead to get a spot for a group...unfair.....a group running ahead and saving a spot for wife and daughter to go to the bathroom or grab a drink...should be expected. If you can manage when your children get the "urge" you are not only a better parent than I am, you should work for Disney...:thumbsup:

As far as it "being like a fast pass' I agree..you don't get a fast pass and then sit and wait for the time. You get a fast pass and then go to another ride. What's the difference if I am waiting in line while my wife and daughter are at one character, or if they would issue a fast pass and we we all go one character and then return when the fast pass is good. By definition, FAST PASS IS LINE JUMPING!!! its just corporate sponsored line jumping!!!Think about it.:thumbsup:

I guess, in the end, its what ever you can live with, and what ever the people around you can live with. I know this, I pay a lot of money, just like everyone else, and I will try to find any way I can to maximize my time. I don't want to disrespect anyone, and I would be the first to graciously let a mom and child go in front of me.

So if you see a guy in full Disney gear waiting in line by himself to see Cinderella, don't assume he's STRANGE, assume his wife and daughter had to "make a run for it"...and don't forget to say HI!...:mickey:

Daddy Mouse
05-18-2009, 10:44 AM
The vibes I'm getting from this post is if a child (MAW) was to be offered a chance to get ahead of you on a ride, you would protest and insist that person wait the same amount of time as you. Because for many on here, there are no exceptions.

I will not condemn a person to riding "It's a Small World" 1,000 times in a row for inability to keep the small stuff small.

GrumpyFan
05-18-2009, 11:35 AM
I think we can all agree that none of us like to stand in lines. So, while we would all like to find a way to get thru the lines quicker, there is really only one "official" way to do so, and that's using Disney's Fastpass. Any other way, is considered (by most) to be rude or at the least, an unfair advantage that creates animosity.

So, if I may coin a phrase, "If you can't do the time, don't get in line". :razz: Sorry, couldn't help myself,

bostomco
05-18-2009, 12:53 PM
I would consider it line jumping. I think its very inconsiderate for a person to line jump. The sad part is people who line jump always seem to have some smug look on there face like they knew what they were doing was wrong and they don't care. I would probably be alot more patient if I knew it was a small child who had to use the restroom other than that Its just rude all around..:rant:

I'm totally one of those people with the smug look on his face! :D Just kidding. Seriously though I think it depends on the situation. If it were a situation where there wasn't a designated line for a character and no one was making a move to get their picture taken then I would have no problem jumping right in, but otherwise lines are there for a reason. I'm totally the kind of person that will make a scene if you cut me in line. It's funny watching that smug face melt into red embarrassment in a matter of seconds! :thedolls:

KAJUNKING
05-18-2009, 01:02 PM
I would consider that line jumping.

:ditto:

wdwfansince75
05-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Every time this subject comes up, the passion swells....I understand "Time Management", but in general, it is a zero sum game...if you save 5 minutes, someone else has lost 5 minutes.....If you do not consider others, you are, by definition, inconsiderate of others.

I have smiled, and let families join up, and have glared (My kids and grandkids know the look) when DH uses his elbow to pass one of my grandkids, so he and junior can catch up with other family members. There was a time when the CM's quickly reacted to blatant line jumping, but now, they generally look the other way. I will say, IMHO, rudeness has become more common over the years. And because rudeness is so common, many rude people no longer consider their actions rude.

JRocker
05-18-2009, 01:35 PM
First of all, I would like to thank everyone who has inadvertently praised my (and many others) parenting skills. While I may have failed in many areas of parenting, teaching my children responsibility and showing courtesy to others is one thing I have been successful at.

And let's face it, when you do this line cutting manuever, you are teaching your children that it is the correct thing to do.

On the same token, when you get wound up and confrontational with some of these people who find line cutting quite alright, well, you are teaching your kids something there too. Take care when showing your children how to deal with rude people.

Yes, I said it. No matter what the line cutting excuse is, you are rude.

So here's a question; I have heard people spout off these "special" circumstances that "justify" breaking a Disney rule. What does NOT qualify as a "special" circumstance? Pops needed to stop off and grab a smoke? Junior stopped to flirt with some cutie at the souvenier shop? Mom stopped to buy a T-shirt? Someone had to make a potty break? Little girl doesn't feel like standing in line?

Do you share the reason with all of those behind you in line, so that they understand that your family breaking the rules is "justified"?

Have you petitioned Disney to make amendments to the line jumping rules?

Like I have said before, I don't let this little stuff bother while I'm on vacation. But, sitting here at the house, counting down the days (25), I have to wonder. Is this indicative of other things you teach your children?

Where is the line that you draw for your children, when explaining which rules you are "justified" to break?

RBrooksC
05-18-2009, 01:42 PM
What facilitates this continued discussion and, in turn, the act itself are people who excuse it for whatever reason.

Little Suzy needs to use the potty. Fine, you all stand outside the restroom as she goes.

And to those people in line, don't stand for people going past you. I make it a point to block the whole line when I am standing there. I make the person trying to get by me have to say something to me.

You excuse one person, you are, in turn, excusing everybody. And, I will "sweat it" on vacation because sweating at home will not do anything.

big blue and hairy
05-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Something to keep in mind, just because someone does something not completely by the rules doesn't make them a rude person.

Who here has never driven above the speed limit? That is breaking the rules is it not?

As for making a big stink about it, read a paper, heck read Intercot, good way to start a fight. That's really going to teach your kids something.

Hmmmm....some pretty well known book has a quote..."he who is without sin..." Sometimes the view is different from the high horse.

:sulley:

Stu29573
05-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Something to keep in mind, just because someone does something not completely by the rules doesn't make them a rude person.

Who here has never driven above the speed limit? That is breaking the rules is it not?

I believe that it's no so much in the breaking of the rule, but in how that action effects other people that makes it rude or not. To use your example, if you are driving above the speed limit on a lonely road then you are not being rude. You're not being particularly safe either- but your actions are only effecting you. However, if you are doing the same thing on a busy expressway then yes, you ARE being rude since you are effecting (and endangering) others.

Goes4FastPass
05-18-2009, 03:46 PM
When I'm at WDW I want to relax and enjoy my vacation and not worry about being the who's getting by with what police,

but,

If I were standing in line with my grandson repeatedly reminding him we're waiting for our turn then we get shoved over by the Knockyadown family from Giantbutt, New Jersey and I know we're about 4 minutes from the character attendant merrily annoucing, "Peter and Wendy are going to Neverland for a break!" I'd be a bit miffed.

I know the Knockyadowns have long planned their vacation and their DBrat thinks s/he needs an autograph from every character in every park but too often, all too very often, Mom and Dad are hot, tired and impatient and they teach their children the rules are for what Leona Helmsley called "little people".

Stay together. Have a coke. Pee. Get in line and enjoy an attraction. Repeat.

Assigning a 'place holder' in line then pushing past children to join that place holder is line jumping. How could it be called anything else?

civilmousefan
05-18-2009, 03:57 PM
What you have described is LINE JUMPING! It is rude and inconsiderate to all persons that waited their turn. I don't see how anyone can justify doing this. In your example - what lessons are they teaching their child? Why don't both parents stay with their child for each character - instead of trying to scheme and cheat those that insist on following rules of common courtesy? They must feel their time is more important than those that are there before them. If you are in line and have to leave for any reason - simple common courtesy dictates that if you want to return - you can rejoin the line at the end.

FaithTrustPixieDust
05-18-2009, 05:09 PM
If I were standing in line with my grandson repeatedly reminding him we're waiting for our turn then we get shoved over by the Knockyadown family from Giantbutt, New Jersey and I know we're about 4 minutes from the character attendant merrily annoucing, "Peter and Wendy are going to Neverland for a break!" I'd be a bit miffed.

:funny: Perfect example!

Pally
05-18-2009, 05:28 PM
I will say, IMHO, rudeness has become more common over the years. And because rudeness is so common, many rude people no longer consider their actions rude. [/FONT]

You hit the nail on the head.:thumbsup:

big blue and hairy
05-18-2009, 07:23 PM

That....is hysterical! I have to say I really think degree has an awful lot to do with it. I was in line with my wife waiting for Kilamanjaro Safari, when she started getting a little woozy. We both knew she needed water. I took off for the water stand and brought her back some. If that is considered line jumping, with all due respect, too bad.

Daddy Mouse
05-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Knockyadown family from Giantbutt, New Jersey is actually from Ohio not from New Jersey. They were at the county fair last summer.

merlinmagic4
05-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Stay together. Have a coke. Pee. Get in line and enjoy an attraction. Repeat.

Works for us! And we did just that with up to 18 people on our last trip :thumbsup:

*Liz*
05-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Did we have to bring New Jersey into this?! :nono: :laughing:

gueli
05-18-2009, 11:08 PM
Did we have to bring New Jersey into this?! :nono: :laughing:

Yes
:funny:

(Now there are only another 49 states & a great number of countries we can insult next...:D)

You know this is always one of the hot topics...
:mickey:

Mousemates
05-19-2009, 12:38 PM
I would consider this brand of line jumping to be a misdemeanor offense...not a felony. But an offense nevertheless.

Giggy
05-19-2009, 01:29 PM
(Now there are only another 49 states & a great number of countries we can insult next...:D)

So.....those British tourists......

Choose your next words very carefully! :D

ransam
05-19-2009, 01:37 PM
you know last year i was in line for a picture w/ a character, and looked over and there was another charcter that starting to take pics...My sister was not in my line, but she got in line for the other....so when i got done, i joined her. no one said anything at all, and i didn't think it was a big deal at all.
but after actually seeing it in writing, maybe it wasn't...
not sure...
so next time, i will be at the back of the line, and if someone joins their family in front of, it won't make one difference to me...

Imagineer1981
05-19-2009, 04:42 PM
complete line jumping, and you should be sent to the back of the line for doing it

tink179
05-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Knockyadown family from Giantbutt, New Jersey is actually from Ohio not from New Jersey. They were at the county fair last summer.

:D That's funny!!!

brdavis
05-20-2009, 09:31 AM
Is it line jumping?

Well... "Do unto others". How would you feel if the line in front of you, that seemed to consist of perhaps half a dozen people, suddenly materialized into 20 or 30 people as their families rejoined the line ahead of you?

I'm pretty sure I know how I would feel.

How I would deal with this situation is a separate matter. I've explained to my kids on more than one occasion that there's no such think as a useless person. One can always serve as an educational bad example (sometimes at WDW... or on some days, sadly, commonly at WDW). The result is my kids are more likely to hold doors open for others than me (as it should be, actually). YMMV, but you're in control of the journey...

--
Brian Davis

RBrooksC
05-20-2009, 12:28 PM
How would you feel if the line in front of you, that seemed to consist of perhaps half a dozen people, suddenly materialized into 20 or 30 people as their families rejoined the line ahead of you?

I am glad you posted this. I think this is the one thing people are forgetting in this whole discussion. People are treating this like it is in a vacuum. One person getting into line most likely won't be an issue. It is still wrong but in the grand scheme, it won't make much of a difference. However, one is usually dealing with thousands of people and lines that can get very long. Once you start looking at it from that position, one should be able to understand that it can become a bigger issue than what if "I" do it.

joonyer
05-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Thnk about it this way;, if you have to ask, "Would this be considered line Jumping?", then the answer is most likely, "Yes".

estein80
05-21-2009, 11:33 AM
I have to say that line jumping thing is always a debate in my family. I do not feel comfortable "line jumping" for any reason. My sister in law sees nothing wrong with it and couldn't understand why I insisted on joining the line properly and being 10 people behind them. I will admit to jumping when my dh took my 10 month old dd on the carousel because I was taking pictures. I felt really guilty, but since I didn't occupy a horse, and everyone got on without a problem, I didn't feel quite as bad, but I did apologize.

It's definitely a question of manners, and I always stand by the "Golden Rule." Seeing as how I wouldn't want someone to cut in front of me, I try hard not to do it to others.

iheartdisney
05-21-2009, 05:07 PM
Seeing as how I wouldn't want someone to cut in front of me, I try hard not to do it to others.

Excellent point!

maxrebo77
05-22-2009, 09:19 AM
I didn't finish reading all the replies to this post. I think I would be afraid to post my own. Sounds like a simple child swap to me in a sort of reverse. Even as person who Hates waiting in line, this would not bother me a bit.

Don't let small thing get you down
Off Kilter Alive

Stitchahula
05-23-2009, 10:02 AM
I think there are some exceptions. I know I will get A LOT of flack for this but, while in line my little one all of a sudden needs to go potty so off we go. Meanwhile my sister is saving our place in line, he does his thing and we come back to meet her. I'm very sorry if this upsets some people but some children really can't hold it. Also 1 year we were there and DH hurt his foot and couldn't stand we would wait in line and he would join us. We did end up with an ECV but he thought at first he could just use his crutches. So I think if it's only 1-2 people meeting up with someone else that's 1 thing but if it's a whole group meeting up with 1 person that's a whole different ball of wax. Oh just for the record I don't have a problem when this happens in front of me as long as it's not a whole group of people. What is troubling though is when you know it's just that all of a sudden they see someone they know up in the line and go and join them. Or even better when they act as if it's someone they know so they move right past you and then never even talk to the "group they are joining", because they don't really know the people.

Ian
05-23-2009, 12:36 PM
I think there are some exceptions. I know I will get A LOT of flack for this but, while in line my little one all of a sudden needs to go potty so off we go. Meanwhile my sister is saving our place in line, he does his thing and we come back to meet her. I'm very sorry if this upsets some people but some children really can't hold it.You have absolutely no reason to apologize nor should anyone give you any "flack" (although I'm quite certain some of the childless among us will do just that).

If you and your entire family get in line and, halfway through, your child has to go potty there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking that child to the bathroom and then rejoining your family in line. No one behind you is waiting one split-second longer than they would had you not left the line.

And before anyone says it .... It's quite feasible for a small child to use the bathroom immediately before entering a queue only to have to go again halfway through the line. This is especially true during busy times.

Seasonscraps
05-23-2009, 01:52 PM
And before anyone says it .... It's quite feasible for a small child to use the bathroom immediately before entering a queue only to have to go again halfway through the line. This is especially true during busy times.

This can happen to anyone. I drink so much water walking around the parks, I can be fine one minute and 20 minutes later I HAVE TO GO NOW. :blush: When that happens, my husband & I would both leave the line because I don't want to have to push past everyone twice (off and then back on the line) but it doesn't bother me when people up ahead do it.

It's the place saving that bothers me. If families and groups want to go on the ride together, they should all get on line together.

DonaldDuck1117
05-24-2009, 12:22 AM
You have absolutely no reason to apologize nor should anyone give you any "flack" (although I'm quite certain some of the childless among us will do just that).

If you and your entire family get in line and, halfway through, your child has to go potty there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking that child to the bathroom and then rejoining your family in line. No one behind you is waiting one split-second longer than they would had you not left the line.

Oh I'd be one giving them flack for that little move. You leave the line, for ANY reason, you forfeit your place in that line, when you return head to the back. If you, or any one in your party, have to leave the line for any reason you all leave and get back in line at the back.

You want to go to the bathroom? Want to go grab a drink or a snack? Want to go sit in the shade or do some shopping? Then get a fastpass that's what they're for. Otherwise get in line and stay there. You leave, head to the back. I have no problem going up to the cast member,supervisor of the ride, and/or customer service to report yah.

Daddy Mouse
05-24-2009, 08:20 AM
Oh I'd be one giving them flack for that little move. You leave the line, for ANY reason, you forfeit your place in that line, when you return head to the back. If you, or any one in your party, have to leave the line for any reason you all leave and get back in line at the back.

You want to go to the bathroom? Want to go grab a drink or a snack? Want to go sit in the shade or do some shopping? Then get a fastpass that's what they're for. Otherwise get in line and stay there. You leave, head to the back. I have no problem going up to the cast member,supervisor of the ride, and/or customer service to report yah.

Have you ever thought about being a better human being? It includes doing little things for people.

Giving up your seat on a bus to an elderly person or mother carrying a small child.
Picking up trash that is on the ground
Allowing a person with a few groceries ahead of you in the checkout line while you have a cart full.

There are many more in which I suspect you already do. Why stop when you're at wdw?

big blue and hairy
05-24-2009, 02:00 PM
You have absolutely no reason to apologize nor should anyone give you any "flack" (although I'm quite certain some of the childless among us will do just that).

HEY! childless non-flack-giving here....:fresh:

big blue and hairy
05-24-2009, 02:03 PM

You want to go to the bathroom? Want to go grab a drink or a snack? Want to go sit in the shade or do some shopping? Then get a fastpass that's what they're for. Otherwise get in line and stay there. You leave, head to the back. I have no problem going up to the cast member,supervisor of the ride, and/or customer service to report yah. Do you even know the rules beyond a shadow of a doubt? Are they posted?

Ok, I guess I did give flack Ian, just not the direction you expected.

MNNHFLTX
05-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Moderator Warning--

The OP asked for opinions about whether a particular action constituted line jumping. So if you feel the need to offer an opinion, please do so without attacking someone else.

BigRedDad
05-24-2009, 09:03 PM
To me, this is flat out unacceptable. Take it a step further and have mom in one line, dad in another, grandpa in one, grandma in another.

It gets frustrating when you are there and the temptations are so different. The worst I ever saw was waiting for the Faeries. One person would wait and an hour later 25 people show up, some going through the Princesses several times. When you are spending that much money on a trip that you may only be able to do once a year or less, you want what you think is "your" money's worth. When people put it in that perspective, attitudes change.

After thinking about this, I though of an instance I was in and we were not chastised for doing it. The other 10-15 families in line all said the same thing, "why didn't we think of that?" We talked about it and not one of them was upset. It may have just been the people or the area. We were at Sorcerer Mickey at DHS. It was about a 45 minute wait. I stayed in line the whole time, my wife and DD played with the interactive attractions, always checking where we were in line. When we were about 4 families away and at the edge so my DD could get in line, my DD only joined me in line. There is no way she would have stood there for 45 minutes, it did not change how long it took for everyone else, and they were always right there, not going to another attraction. I would have felt differently if people complained. Once my DD got in line, the other families let their little ones run around the attractions in the room. Like I said, attitudes and thoughts change when you are there.

Hammer
05-25-2009, 01:08 AM

So because someone does not have a kid, they are beyond comprehending the scenario? As you know, I don't have kids, but I have friends with kids and absolutely understand.

I absolutely do not let this bother me. It's time management, just like if you are with your spouse/significant other/roommate at the grocery store and one of you waits in line at the deli while the other goes to the seafood/meat department counter (where you are waited on) to pick out dinner.

Mousefever
05-25-2009, 01:55 AM

So because someone does not have a kid, they are beyond comprehending the scenario? As you know, I don't have kids, but I have friends with kids and absolutely understand.

I'm sure that Ian was not including you in the "some", not all, people who are impatient of small children and their potty needs.

I can't believe that some people cannot see this as a nuanced issue. To equate a group of 10 people pushing up through a line ride, with one parent in a character line to be replaced by one child, is not logical. The only argument that can be supplied to that situation is that "it's a slippery slope." "If we let one person do it in that situation, then everyone will think they can do it in every situation." Still not very logical, but more understandable.

If I didn't let a parent and small child get back to their previous place in line after a potty break, I would feel absolutely ridiculous and lacking in compassion.

Amy

TheVBs
05-25-2009, 12:55 PM
If I didn't let a parent and small child get back to their previous place in line after a potty break, I would feel absolutely ridiculous and lacking in compassion.

Amy

Well said! Thank you.:mickey:

It'sWDW4me
05-25-2009, 02:14 PM
I think there are definite shades of gray on this matter.

Wrong - one person waits in line while the rest of their party of 10 goes to the restroom, gets a drink, goes to another attraction/fairy/character/etc. Then the 9 people "catch up" with the one in line. NO - wait for everyone to assemble and then get in line.

Equally wrong - You see someone you know up ahead (this can happen, especially with school groups) and would like to ride together. The party in back has no right to push ahead. If you want to ride together, the party in front should go back in line to the other party.

Understandable - my mom has pretty bad arthritis in her feet. She's still pretty young (56) and doesn't want the personal stigma of riding in a wheelchair all day. My son, brother, and I all stood in line while she rested her very sore, weary feet. When we got close, she joined us. We really only needed to do this towards the end of the day, after she'd been on her feet all morning and afternoon. ONE person added to the line - we most likely didn't knock an entire party's day out of whack.

No problem - the child who needs to go potty NOW or the ADHD child who will ruin the entire vacation of EVERYONE within a 50 foot radius with his/her screams that would make your ears bleed (aka - my nephew :blush:)... I see no reason why one adult can't take the child out of queue for a quick trip to the restroom or to occupy the child nearby until the rest of the party makes their way through the line. This is simply sanity preservation for everyone, IMHO.

Ian
05-25-2009, 07:46 PM
So because someone does not have a kid, they are beyond comprehending the scenario?

I'm sure that Ian was not including you in the "some", not all, people who are impatient of small children and their potty needs.Correct. Thanks, Amy.

There were a few people in this thread whose opinions on this topic were ... well ... shall I say ... a tad extreme? Those were the folks I was referring to.

I'll sum up my thoughts on this topic by saying that it sure must be nice to live in a world where everything is either black or white and you are the final arbiter on which is which. ;)

Hammer
05-25-2009, 11:18 PM
My sister and I were discussing this thread (and the jorts thread) when we went out to lunch today. In regards to this thread. we agree that 4-5 year olds have little bladders and may need to go to the bathroom if they are stuck in a 30-60 minute line even if they went before getting in line. A little compassion goes a long way.

RBrooksC
05-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Again, many of the responses are as if this happens in a vacuum. Most posters say, "if A (meaning one) family has a child who yadda, yadda, yadda....

Well, it doesn't boil down to just one family. It could be many families. When lines are long like during Spring, you could have ten families who are doing the "line saving or whatever."

So, somebody else gets in line with a certain amount of people in it. Then, let's say for the sake of exaggerating to make a point, you have twenty families who have left the line for one reason or another. Let's also say that at least two people left the line from those twenty families. So, now you have at least forty people getting back in line in front of you.

So, your wait that may have been thirty minutes is now greatly extended due to forty more people just popping in line ahead of you. It may be questionably acceptable if it is one family doing it. But when it is a real world situation where multiple families would be involved it becomes rude and inconsiderate for those who have followed the rules.

You cannot make exceptions for one because then that exception will become the rule because rude, inconsiderate and exploitative people will believe that exception always applies to them.

Ian
05-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Again, many of the responses are as if this happens in a vacuum. Most posters say, "if A (meaning one) family has a child who yadda, yadda, yadda....

Well, it doesn't boil down to just one family. It could be many families. When lines are long like during Spring, you could have ten families who are doing the "line saving or whatever."

So, somebody else gets in line with a certain amount of people in it. Then, let's say for the sake of exaggerating to make a point, you have twenty families who have left the line for one reason or another. Let's also say that at least two people left the line from those twenty families. So, now you have at least forty people getting back in line in front of you.

So, your wait that may have been thirty minutes is now greatly extended due to forty more people just popping in line ahead of you. It may be questionably acceptable if it is one family doing it. But when it is a real world situation where multiple families would be involved it becomes rude and inconsiderate for those who have followed the rules.

You cannot make exceptions for one because then that exception will become the rule because rude, inconsiderate and exploitative people will believe that exception always applies to them.See here's the flaw in your logic, though ...

Those people were already in line in front of you!! Your wait isn't getting any longer than it should have been from the beginning. If I get in line in front of you (legitimately) and then leave for 10 minutes to take my DD to the bathroom, when I come back your wait is exactly the same as it was when you got in line.

It seems to me as if you'd like to benefit from kids who have to use the bathroom by having a shorter wait time than you would have had the child not had to use the restroom. That's a whole different story vs. someone making you wait in line longer.

Seasonscraps
05-26-2009, 10:36 AM
I agree with Mousefever it's the slippery slope of what will be accepted next? Will families split up into several lines so the child just needs to get escorted to the various characters in time for their picture to be taken?

For one picture, it doesn't really impact the people on one line but everyone else that is waiting behind a place holder on the other line(s) are one space back on the line. When that line shuts down the person that was next did miss their character greeting opportunity because someone that wasn't on the line took their turn.

Ian
05-26-2009, 11:35 AM
I agree with Mousefever it's the slippery slope of what will be accepted next? Will families split up into several lines so the child just needs to get escorted to the various characters in time for their picture to be taken?

For one picture, it doesn't really impact the people on one line but everyone else that is waiting behind a place holder on the other line(s) are one space back on the line. When that line shuts down the person that was next did miss their character greeting opportunity because someone that wasn't on the line took their turn.I think everybody recognizes that there are limits to what is and isn't okay.

However, to imply that this is somehow some black and white issue where there are no shades of grey is a little bit out there, if you ask me.

I, for one, am not particularly worried about anarchy breaking out in WDW and people line jumping all over the place.

But hey ... that's just me! ;)

RBrooksC
05-26-2009, 11:51 AM
See here's the flaw in your logic, though ...

Those people were already in line in front of you!! Your wait isn't getting any longer than it should have been from the beginning. .

Not really, because many rides are capacity driven. There are only so many seats on each Space Mountain train or in the loading area of any dark ride.

You bring in a whole bunch of people who had their space in the queue held for whatever reason, you have just delayed those who are waiting.

Using my extreme example, if forty people get in line because their wee one had to use the restroom and dad held the space, there are that many fewer ride seats which has no delayed the person who is behind all of them.

But what still remains is a rule that should not have exceptions.

Ian
05-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Not really, because many rides are capacity driven. There are only so many seats on each Space Mountain train or in the loading area of any dark ride.

You bring in a whole bunch of people who had their space in the queue held for whatever reason, you have just delayed those who are waiting.

Using my extreme example, if forty people get in line because their wee one had to use the restroom and dad held the space, there are that many fewer ride seats which has no delayed the person who is behind all of them.Quite honestly, I don't even understand what you're trying to say here. If I'm in front of you in line, then I step out of line, and then step back in again your wait is identical to what it was at the exact moment I stepped out of line.

Any attempt to make it seem otherwise is incorrect.

But what still remains is a rule that should not have exceptions.I have to laugh ... you keep talking about this "rule" ... there's no rule! There's no rule that says you are not allowed to take your child out of a line you entered legitimately and then come back into said line to rejoin your party.

There's a rule that says "No cutting in line." Period. Since this isn't cutting in line, it's permitted.

Bottom line is you're looking to benefit and get on the ride sooner if someone in front of you has to leave to take a child to the restroom.

To me, that's just as bad as looking to benefit by cutting in a line in the first place.

RBrooksC
05-26-2009, 12:18 PM
What I am talking about is line cutting. Daddy saying, "take little Suzy to the bathroom, and I will hold a spot in line." So Mommy and Suzy go to the restroom and dad holds their place. Then they come into line later after dad has moved down the line.

That is line cutting. I am not talking about somebody leaving the line and coming back into it.

Ian
05-26-2009, 12:24 PM
What I am talking about is line cutting. Daddy saying, "take little Suzy to the bathroom, and I will hold a spot in line." So Mommy and Suzy go to the restroom and dad holds their place. Then they come into line later after dad has moved down the line.

That is line cutting. I am not talking about somebody leaving the line and coming back into it.Okay, so we're talkikng about slightly different scenarios then. I thought you were talking about a family getting in line and then one child having to leave and use the restroom and come back to rejoin their group when they were finished.

Your scenario is a little different and a lot closer to line jumping than what I was talking about.

I don't do that myself and wouldn't feel comfortable with it. You use the potty before you get in line.

TheVBs
05-26-2009, 01:09 PM
I've been in a lot of lines at WDW over the years, of varying lengths. It's been very rare that I've seen one person leave or hold a place in front of me. The idea that 40 different people would do it ahead of you is just not realistic. I just don't see the point of getting worked up over something that really just isn't going to happen.

And I agree that line holding can turn into a problem with large groups, I'm not trying to say that's ok. But I just don't see the point of offering up incredibly unlikely scenarios and worrying about them.

RBrooksC
05-26-2009, 01:41 PM
It's been very rare that I've seen one person leave or hold a place in front of me. The idea that 40 different people would do it ahead of you is just not realistic. I just don't see the point of getting worked up over something that really just isn't going to happen.

I did say it was an exaggeration. The reason I went to the extreme was to make a point. Of course the chances of forty people doing it is slim. But everybody was focusing one one family doing it. One needs to be aware that if one family considers it, many families are considering it. So, it is conceivable that several families could do it in one exceptionally long queue. When several cut the line, it will cause problems for those who are not.

big blue and hairy
05-26-2009, 03:21 PM
I have to laugh ... you keep talking about this "rule" ... there's no rule! There's no rule that says you are not allowed to take your child out of a line you entered legitimately and then come back into said line to rejoin your party.

There's a rule that says "No cutting in line." Period. Since this isn't cutting in line, it's permitted.

Bottom line is you're looking to benefit and get on the ride sooner if someone in front of you has to leave to take a child to the restroom.

To me, that's just as bad as looking to benefit by cutting in a line in the first place.I completely agree. There is no reason someone who has to go to the bathroom, or really, since you're already in line, for any other reason should be something to get you in a twist.

As Ian said, there is no rule about leaving the line and coming back, as a matter of fact there are no posted rules anywhere that I have ever seen concerning lines. I would really like to know how the experts know what the rules are?

biodtl
05-26-2009, 03:23 PM
I am totally OK with the kid has to go to the potty scenario, but I have to admit, it bothered me last year when there was a dad in front of me in line (got in line alone) and then mom and 3 kids came charging through, saying, sorry, the kids wanted to shop. But I still didn't say anything, because seriously - why bother - it would only have ruined MY day.

It's funny - the scenario that I think is totally OK (the kids potty break) is the one I have rarely seen. The ones I don't agree with (the party of two that becomes a party of 12 - all full grown and healthy - right near the entrance) I have seen more frequently.

But still, I don't say anything. The only time I have ever spoken up was last year, when a man actually tried to straight-up, no-doubt line jump. He was just easing into the middle of a long line, and even when his family tried to stop him, he persisted, saying no - it's fine, we're in line. That is line-jumping at its worst.

big blue and hairy
05-26-2009, 03:30 PM
I am totally OK with the kid has to go to the potty scenario, but I have to admit, it bothered me last year when there was a dad in front of me in line (got in line alone) and then mom and 3 kids came charging through, saying, sorry, the kids wanted to shop. But I still didn't say anything, because seriously - why bother - it would only have ruined MY day.

It's funny - the scenario that I think is totally OK (the kids potty break) is the one I have rarely seen. The ones I don't agree with (the party of two that becomes a party of 12 - all full grown and healthy) right near the entrance.

But still, I don't say anything. The only time I have ever spoken up was last year, when a man actually tried to straight-up, no-doubt line jump. He was just easing into the middle of a long line, and even when his family tried to stop him, he persisted, saying no - it's fine, we're in line. That is line-jumping at its worst.I agree with that also. That is why some of us here keep repeating that it is not a black and white scenario. I really have no problem with one or two people joining a group late, or going to the bathroom. Twelve people join one who has held a spot in line is different.

I also agree that making a big deal out of it isn't going to do anything but ruin your day and others around you. If it is a continuing problem, talk to a cast member, but really if you think there is no gray area, then you must also think 56 in a 55 mph zone is as bad as 90.

Goes4FastPass
05-26-2009, 03:53 PM
I guess I more/less agree leaving the line for a potty break the returning is probably 'OK' but is that really what's usually happening? Most often I think the party sends a 'placeholder' to the queue while the do something more fun then push past the people who got in line after their placeholder thus reducing their wait.

There will always be stories of someone who got of line to help someone whose hair was on fire but the reality is most of the time when you see people pushing through the queue to "rejoin their party" they're entering a queue they weren't in in the first place.

big blue and hairy
05-26-2009, 04:11 PM
I guess I more/less agree leaving the line for a potty break the returning is probably 'OK' but is that really what's usually happening? Most often I think the party sends a 'placeholder' to the queue while the do something more fun then push past the people who got in line after their placeholder thus reducing their wait.

There will always be stories of someone who got of line to help someone whose hair was on fire but the reality is most of the time when you see people pushing through the queue to "rejoin their party" they're entering a queue they weren't in in the first place.But do we actually know? And is it worth getting worked up over? 12, yeah, 1 or 2, I'm not going to worry about it.

Goes4FastPass
05-26-2009, 04:18 PM
...is it worth getting worked up over? ...

It certainly ISN'T worth getting worked up over. There are many things I expect when I head to the land of the purple road signs and that list includes crowds and queues... and being determined not to let them spoil my zipadee doo dah day.

Lakin
05-26-2009, 04:31 PM
I absolutely think this is line jumping. I am a little more understanding about someone who was already in line and then a small child had to go to the restroom. If they hadn't already been in line and sent someone ahead to get in line and then joined them, then that is line jumping. In that case, I think the entire party should wait to get in line together.

I just can't see what reason someone would have for having mom and child in one line then joining dad in the other line other than they didn't want to wait along with everyone else.

I agree with you completely. :mickey: You summed up my thoughts better than I could have.

AXOAlum
05-26-2009, 04:52 PM
When we visited in March, we were next in line to see Pooh & Friends at DAK. As we were ready to move forward to meet Pooh, a CM came over and very nervously explained that there was a child with special needs that needed to go in front of us. He looked truly scared to ask us to wait. I said "sir - say no more - we are happy to accomodate others who need assistance and we will wait until she is finished, please do not rush her" - he looked truly shocked. I could tell that he was not used to that response, and I told DH that it was truly sad that there are people out there who can't be bothered to see shades of gray in a so-called rule. I explained to DS 6 that we would be going next, and he happily complied (even with extreme ADHD) because we have taught him compassion as well.

Do I get frustrated when parents split a character line? YES - it is not something that I would do or teach my kids to do. But we are at Disney and it is not worth getting stressed out over.

As for the potty issue - COMPLETELY different issue on the emergency need to go NOW. We make regularly scheduled potty stops and DS still has some emergencies - in a 45 minute line, DH taking him to potty and coming back to where I am waiting in line doesn't affect anyone's wait time.

I really believe some posters to this thread are seriously looking for an argument - both in this thread and in real life! I mean the fact that some get their kicks by having to make someone ask them to move just shows the lack of compassion at our World. I pray that a MAW child never asks to get in front of them!

joanna71985
05-26-2009, 07:45 PM
I really believe some posters to this thread are seriously looking for an argument - both in this thread and in real life! I mean the fact that some get their kicks by having to make someone ask them to move just shows the lack of compassion at our World. I pray that a MAW child never asks to get in front of them!

I'm not referring to anyone in particular, but I have had guests give me grief about MAW/GKTW children meeting the characters. Some even said really rude things to the families. I think it's a sad day when someone could be so heartless and rude to one of those children. But it has been few and far between, thank goodness.

Ian
05-26-2009, 07:56 PM
When we visited in March, we were next in line to see Pooh & Friends at DAK. As we were ready to move forward to meet Pooh, a CM came over and very nervously explained that there was a child with special needs that needed to go in front of us. He looked truly scared to ask us to wait. I said "sir - say no more - we are happy to accomodate others who need assistance and we will wait until she is finished, please do not rush her" - he looked truly shocked. I could tell that he was not used to that response, and I told DH that it was truly sad that there are people out there who can't be bothered to see shades of gray in a so-called rule. I explained to DS 6 that we would be going next, and he happily complied (even with extreme ADHD) because we have taught him compassion as well.Very nice ... exactly how I would have handled it.

Bottom line for me is, if I'm standing in line and I see 6 teens trying to cut ahead of me with no obvious destination in sight, I probably say, "No way, Jose."

I see one man coming through the line trying to rejoin his family up ahead I say, "By all means, sir ... go right ahead."

Who am I to judge why the guy had to leave the line or rejoin his family after the fact. And I'm certainly not going to give him the 3rd degree there in the line. Maybe he's a diabetic and needed an emergency insulin shot. Maybe he wanted to sneak and buy a special surprise gift for his daughter and the only way to do it was to send her off in line with Mom while he got the gift.

Some people here seem to be pre-disposed to assume the worst of everyone. That if they're rejoining their family in line they must just be trying to beat the system.

I choose to take the opposite approach and assume they have a legitimate reason to be doing what they're doing. Personally, I feel like the world would be a much better place if everyone did that. And that goes triple in Disney World.

To those who take such a black and white view of things I ask you this ... if a Dad and his daughter came up to you and asked politely if they could join their Mother up ahead in line so they daughter could have one last chance to see Mickey before they had to fly home, would you let them join Mom? Or would you assume the guy was lying and say, "No way, man. Get at the back of the line where you belong!"?

Because I'd submit that ... if it's the latter ... you may need to do some soul searching and come to grips with what kind of person you really are.

mom2mickeyfan
05-26-2009, 11:50 PM
The OP didn't really ask about getting in line as a family and having to leave for a reason and rejoining the dad. It was the mom getting in one line and the dad getting in another. To me...there is alittle less gray in this case. Would I say anthing if it happen in front of me...nope. But I can't say I would be happy about it. If I'm standing in line for 30 to 45 minutes and never see anyone with the person in front of me and suddenly when we get to the front of the line, others show up, I wouldn't be happy about that. I still wouldn't let it bother me for more than a minute or two and I can see some medical cases where this wouldn't bother me. If there is honestly some reason someone can't stand in line, then it would be awful unkind of me to not be understanding. The problem is, there is lots of people out there that aren't very honest. Like the ones that will push their kids in front of other kids at the last minute before the parade starts.

A family getting in line together and then a parent and child leaving to go the bathroom. Well, to me this is a whole different case. Seems very hard to compare them.

Daddy Mouse
05-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Ian has summed up they way I feel about the OP's question and other scenarios that could go with the question. I do have one more thing to add.

It is just DW and myself for a few trips. (until grandchildren) We enjoyed the looks of wonnder, excitement, and surprise on our own children's faces as they met characters rode the rides etc... When we go now we also enjoy the looks on other children and their parents as well as they experience the same things we shared. That is one thing I get at Disney that no other park I've been to has been able to reproduce. Why try to prevent those magical moments by preventing a child and parent from getting into line with another parent.

Ian
05-27-2009, 12:57 PM
I do have one more thing to add.

It is just DW and myself for a few trips. (until grandchildren) We enjoyed the looks of wonnder, excitement, and surprise on our own children's faces as they met characters rode the rides etc... When we go now we also enjoy the looks on other children and their parents as well as they experience the same things we shared. That is one thing I get at Disney that no other park I've been to has been able to reproduce. Why try to prevent those magical moments by preventing a child and parent from getting into line with another parent.See this is pretty much how I approach it, too.

First off, my family is very fortunate in that we visit WDW a couple times per year. Some kids go once in their entire lives. My kids have met Mickey more times than they can count and we've been on every ride in all four parks like 1,000 times. I'm in no rush.

How do I know the child sneaking in front of me isn't there on a once-in-a-lifetime trip? And maybe his/her family needs to leave to catch their plane home and they just haven't quite gotten that chance to get him/her in to see his/her favorite characters.

So to get it done quickly and still get out of Dodge in time to catch their flight home, they bend the rules a bit. Mom gets in one line and waits and Dad gets in the other.

So what? I'm going to basically deny this kid his dream shot at meeting Donald and Mickey?? Why? So my kids can see a character they've already seen 100 times before and will definitely see again in no more than 6 months? No way.

Now look ... is this likely the scenario that's occurring? Of course not. But I kinda like to pretend it is ... it takes what could be a negative situation and spins it into something that makes me feel good. :mickey:

Seasonscraps
05-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Conversely, how do you know the child that misses their chance to meet the character because of place holding wasn't on their once in a lifetime trip to Disney?

To me it's just cheating the system and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I would never say anything. I would probably just roll my eyes and go about my day because things like this are becoming more common and sadly I am getting used to it.

Ian
05-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Conversely, how do you know the child that misses their chance to meet the character because of place holding wasn't on their once in a lifetime trip to Disney?Well yeah ... I mean that's a good point and not an angle I really addressed in my response.

I was speaking strictly for my family's approach and thoughts on the topic. I'd assume if there is someone behind me in line who's concerned about meeting Mickey in time for them to make their flight home then they would speak up separately.

And we would probably just let them move ahead of us so they could get done in time.

joonyer
05-27-2009, 02:30 PM
If everyone though of others before themselves, then line jumping wouldn't be a problem. People wouldn't do it and on the other hand, people would gladly let others get out of line and come back to go to the bathroom, etc.

Unfortunately, most people only think of themselves. Everybody else in just in their way.

Ian
05-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Unfortunately, most people only think of themselves. Everybody else in just in their way.See, I don't think it's most people. I think there are a minority out there that yeah ... they're selfish morons.

I think 85% of society, though, is pretty decent and will typically do the right thing.

I'd bet that maybe 5% of people who "line jump" (assign whatever definition to that phrase you'd like) do it out of pure malice with a clear intention to get over on others.

Roland
05-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Of course it's line jumping.

The simple rule is this: if you in line, you're okay, if you cut the line, it's not okay.

I don't understand why this is so hard for some to understand.

Seasonscraps
05-27-2009, 04:16 PM
See, I don't think it's most people. I think there are a minority out there that yeah ... they're selfish morons.

I think 85% of society, though, is pretty decent and will typically do the right thing.

I'd bet that maybe 5% of people who "line jump" (assign whatever definition to that phrase you'd like) do it out of pure malice with a clear intention to get over on others.

I agree with you on this. The really rude and really pleasant people stand out - everyone else is just going about their day.

But I did think of this thread when I was out getting my lunch. I was at a stand on line behind someone holding my cash in my hand. I left a little space - maybe half a pace because I don't like it when someone is right on my heels on line so I extend the same respect to their personal space. Some guy gets on line in front of me - he had to turn his shoulder so he could scoot in front of me. I politely told him that I was on line already and he claimed not to see me - despite his maneuver to claim his spot on line. :rolleyes:

TheVBs
05-27-2009, 04:31 PM
Ian, I really like your point of view. :thumbsup: Thanks for the great points!

Ian
05-27-2009, 07:26 PM
I don't understand why this is so hard for some to understand.Well that's a relatively condescending statement ...

Perhaps it's not that others don't "understand", but maybe rather they have an opinion different than yours.

As many, many people throughout this discussion have pointed out, most people don't see this as a black-and-white issue.

BelleLovesTheBeast
05-27-2009, 09:31 PM
I would consider this line jumping.

If you were in line and all of a sudden your DD had to use the bathroom - that would be okay with me.

If you were going gettin in line and people pushed ahead of you and your DD and your DH was ended up ahead of you and you moved up to get in line with him. That's fine too.

But having him hold a place for you in line so you can knock out 2 birds with one stone. A little shady.

JRocker
05-27-2009, 11:12 PM
So if someone line jumped and they were wearing jorts; would you be angry, or laugh?
:thedolls:

sorry, couldn't resist. carry on.
:D

TheVBs
05-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Uh-oh. The Jorts thread is leaking. :D

MNNHFLTX
05-28-2009, 08:58 AM
Uh-oh. The Jorts thread is leaking. :D

Oh well. I think this thread probably needed a little lightening up. ;)

Daddy Mouse
05-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Opinions are like armpits; everyone has a couple, and if they don’t agree with me they stink. That is what my DF told me.

This thread can be similar to “Which is your favorite park?” Where everyone can express their own opinion and give additional thoughts without condemnation. However some aren’t happy by expressing their opinion and reasons. They want to condemn anyone that may think differently.

What I like about these types of threads are people can voice their opinions and give valid reasons for their way of approaching a topic.

While I may or may not agree with people on here in the future I will be more considerate and understanding of the way some people feel.

FriendsofMickey
05-28-2009, 01:48 PM
To the OP question:
(considering that scenario, where child was in another line).
If you were in front of me and my children and your child came up and joined you and took a picture with you (and wife) or by themselves. I would have no issue with it. If, on the other hand, all three of you decided that you wanted your picture seperately, and then pulled out those autograph books (I hate them by the way), then I would have a bigger issue with it.

Now if child left line to go to the bathroom, I would not have one problem with it (No matter how many pictures you took).

To the OP scenaria, I would never consider doing this, because when I go on a family vacation I like to stick together as a family.

For those with the "move your feet, lose your seat." thought process with the child bathroom scenario. Would you prefer the child have an accident and you be the next to sit in the seat? Think about it. If a parent tells a child that if they go to the bathroom now (after waiting 45 minutes in line), they have to stand at the back of the line. The child is going to say they can wait. Or at the very least, the child will not speak up the next time. An accident is sure to follow.

I think the bathroom situation is, like a previous poster mentioned, like the child swap. No one is losing their turn, they just do not have to wait as long.

TheVBs
05-28-2009, 04:00 PM
Oh well. I think this thread probably needed a little lightening up. ;)

True. :mickey:

Live4WDW
05-28-2009, 07:58 PM
That....is hysterical! I have to say I really think degree has an awful lot to do with it. I was in line with my wife waiting for Kilamanjaro Safari, when she started getting a little woozy. We both knew she needed water. I took off for the water stand and brought her back some. If that is considered line jumping, with all due respect, too bad.

:mickey: Hey everyone. I gave my thoughts on this in an earlier post, as always I continue to read to get the opinions of everyone else. I must say I do agree with the comment above, at things do arise when waiting in line. If I had been waiting in line in front of you for 30 minutes and had to run to the bathroom, or get DW a drink, or something to that effect, and my DW remained in front of you, then I would not consider it line cutting when I came back. I:mickey:

luvdiznee
05-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Definitely line jumping. :thedolls: I'm sure you, OP know this since you are asking. :secret: But I'm sure you've gotten that since this thread is so long. :D

DisneyPrincessCat
06-01-2009, 01:38 PM
I don't feel it's ok. If you want to see the character, you should wait with everyone else.

As for the bathroom emergency - that's different. If you were ahead of me and your little one has an all of the sudden "I gotta go pee" then I don't see the harm in taking care of the situation and getting your space back (I've held for a stranger before). You were ahead of me before, and by getting back in line I would have waited the same amount.

This is exactly my opinion. Bathroom runs are okay. Little ones cannot hold it that long.

But if I see a person in line welcoming 8 or 10 of their family mambers who have been doing something else while one waits, I say something to the ride greeter. It is rude and completely insensitive to people who have been waiting in line as everyone should for an attraction. Why do others get to play and have 1 family member hold a place for them and then they just walk on an attraction? Not right and 100%rude! And they KNOW it is NOT right. It is also not allowed, according to Cast Members I have spoken with, and I always like to point out offending parties to Cast Members who usually will deal with the offending party by making them all go back to the end of the line! :cool:

DisneyPrincessCat
06-01-2009, 02:10 PM
You have absolutely no reason to apologize nor should anyone give you any "flack" (although I'm quite certain some of the childless among us will do just that)

Never wanted children, never had them and I do NOT mind in the least a parent who must take a little one to the restroom if they need to go. Their bladders are not as big as ours and when they have to go, they HAVE to go. They are not as patient, and they get sensory overload and cannot deal with such things as being told to "Hold it for 45 more minutes!" They NEED to go! That is the one exception to allowing people to coming back to a line. A bathroom run!

Some of those lines can last 90 minutes during really busy times and I have had to go to the potty and I am a 55 yr old kid...I think it is perfectly reasonable to understand that if it is hot, one drinks more beverages, and one has to hit the restroom more often.

That urge may hit 45 minutes into a 90 minute wait and I don't think one should have to retreat to the end of the line for another 90 minute wait in that case. Heck, the person would probably have to go again in that 90 minutes and would be playing musical lines with the attractions, always in line and never getting on.:(

Bathroom breaks are the exception. There are no other. I have heard people say "But what if someone forgeot their insulin in the locker?"
Most diabetics and others with medical problems should well know the timing of their meds, so as not to be in a line. And if someone is having a medical crisis, they NEED to get OUT of line anyway and seek medical help.
Childless and loving it, but concious of kids around me!

Daniel1726
06-01-2009, 04:37 PM
We've just got back from a trip.
My son wanted to see the Power Rangers at the Studios, we waited in line for Blue my wife stood in line for Red, after taking a photo, no autograph, we went accross the street to Red my wife then went and waited for Yellow, this was repeated for each character.
I do not consider this to be jumping line, my wife waited in line, people who joined the line after her waited as long as they would have done had my son been stood in line.
There were plenty of people doing this had I been stood in line and a child joined a parent to do this I wouldn't have batted an eye lid.

It'sWDW4me
06-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Some of those lines can last 90 minutes during really busy times and I have had to go to the potty and I am a 55 yr old kid...I think it is perfectly reasonable to understand that if it is hot, one drinks more beverages, and one has to hit the restroom more often.

That urge may hit 45 minutes into a 90 minute wait and I don't think one should have to retreat to the end of the line for another 90 minute wait in that case. Heck, the person would probably have to go again in that 90 minutes and would be playing musical lines with the attractions, always in line and never getting on.:(

:funny: So funny and yet so true! I've had days where I felt I was living in the bathroom!

joanna71985
06-01-2009, 05:11 PM
We've just got back from a trip.
My son wanted to see the Power Rangers at the Studios, we waited in line for Blue my wife stood in line for Red, after taking a photo, no autograph, we went accross the street to Red my wife then went and waited for Yellow, this was repeated for each character.
I do not consider this to be jumping line, my wife waited in line, people who joined the line after her waited as long as they would have done had my son been stood in line.
There were plenty of people doing this had I been stood in line and a child joined a parent to do this I wouldn't have batted an eye lid.

Unfortunately, this example can be a problem. While it works at times, there are also times where it holds up the lines (because the member(s) in one line are waiting for members in another line). And holding up the lines is not good with the Power Rangers, since they are not out long at all.

Daniel1726
06-01-2009, 05:34 PM
This location is perfect for this as the lines are not enclosed being on the streets of America.
If at any time my wife got towards the front of a line she would let the person behind pass ahead.

joanna71985
06-01-2009, 05:40 PM
This location is perfect for this as the lines are not enclosed being on the streets of America.
If at any time my wife got towards the front of a line she would let the person behind pass ahead.

While they may be outside, it could still get crowded (especially with Red and Green Rangers). I just don't think it's a good idea (especially since it's not fair to groups who all wait together).

civilmousefan
06-02-2009, 12:40 PM
I posted a response earlier and wanted to take this opportunity to elaborate. The scenario described in the OP is line jumping - no question in my mind! I also stated that there is no reason for leaving a line and expecting to return to your original place. While many try to give examples where this is acceptable - I personally do not believe that. This is simply my position on this issue - and how I raised my children. There will always be situations when dealing with children and having to go to the bathroom at the most inconvenient of times. However, when the situation happened to me, with my own children - they got the message to visit the bathroom BEFORE getting in line the next time.

I have also been in line where people passed by me to join their friends or family. When at WDW I am on vacation and want to be able to relax and have a good time. Therefore, I generally don't give it another thought, as I don't want to spoil my vacation. I also don't want to be in the position of passing judgement on others actions - as they may have very good reasons for the line jumping.

On the issue of families with physically challenged members getting to the front of lines. I always hope that when this is the case, the family knows that it was my pleasure to let them go ahead and they should not give it another thought. If I have helped make their vacation more enjoyable with only giving up a few moments of my time then I am happy to do so.

Finally I think it boils down to 'do unto others..,learn to relax, spend the time in WDW with your family, and go home knowing you had a good time and did not spoil any others from having a good vacation.

wdwfansince75
06-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Believe it or not, since almost all of the character meet lines are open for a fixed time, your example would leave two people out of the character meets....in each of the last two lines, someone who would have been the last person to get photos and autographs will be replaced by you, for a second and a third character experience, while each of the two gets none. Simple quese theory....If you are cool with pushing someone else aside, than so be it....remind me to avoid character meets when you go to the World...

Daniel1726
06-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Chances are those people have been waiting in line at TOT or Rock n Roller coaster or have been doing some other such other activity, Honey I shrunk the kids or Mupppet 3D whilst I have been waiting for the 45 minutes prior to the posted start time for the Power Rangers as this is the one thing my son wants to do.
Had I been in line for those other things maybe my son would also miss a character experience.
To my mind this is planning, the vast majority of guide books and online forums tell you to plan and some even advocate the "Dumbo Drop" which I have also done on occassion so that my son when he was at that age and now my daughter get 2 rides on Dumbo for prety much the same wait time.

jaredkari
06-02-2009, 05:54 PM
I know this is a topic that will never be resolved. But I would say that it is line jumping.

We had this exact thing happen to us at MK while we were waiting with my niece to meet the fairies. There were at least two groups of people in front of us who held spots while their child went and saw the princesses then they came over and got in line (pushing their way to the front or jumping the rope) in front of us and many others who had been waiting for over an hour. Now I realize it probably only added maybe 10 minutes to our wait. But we all paid the same admission price so all of our time is equally valuable. It sets a very bad example for kids. Thats my two cents. :mickey:

Catzle
06-02-2009, 07:54 PM
We got back a couple of weeks ago and while we were in line for Soarin, a couple came barling past us saying we have to catch up with our family we let them pass than they stopped in front of us and NEVER met up with anyone. While I didn't say anything it was upsetting because we had waited our 30-40 minutes and this couple clearly were lying just to get to the front of the line. My party was shocked that they did this, there were 10 of us. For our 6 years of going never had we had this happen. My sister in law so wanted to make them go back but we thought why bother. Other than an example like that I would always let a parent leave if a child had to go to the bathroom than return to their spot no questions asked. I am also not one to let others ruin my vacation so if a group were ahead of us and mom and kid caught up to them because the kid or mom had to go to the potty I wouldn't say anything. That's just life. I think it happened in every line we stood in where people met up with their party for one reason or another.

mudpuppysmom
06-03-2009, 12:54 PM
I call what the OP asked line jumping, period.

We all teach our kids that we have to all wait our turn and to do that you need to get in line like everyone else.

We had something happen in December.....a father and one child were in line in front of us. We were about 1/2way thru the line for Primeval Hurl (I don't like the coaster, but DS does.....) and here comes mom and another child --scuse me, pardon me, scuse me......the whole way until they got to dad in front of us. DS just looked at me and said, "Mom, that isn't nice, they cheated".....I told him just to be quiet, that I knew what they did, and yes it was wrong [I'll get to why], but we're just not going to let it ruin our day. As the wife caught up with dad she was telling him how long the line was to see the character -- so they were in another area of the park then decided that hey, we'll just walk thru the line and meet dad. Well, apparently the wife heard my DS and she then decided that she needed to validate herself to him and went on about how rule oriented kids are today and we as parents need to relax our expectations of the said rules! Yeah, she said it was OK to get in front of us to join her family because they were in another line to see a character and the line was long and took too long and it was again OK for them to scoot the line! My son just looked at me and said, "Mom, she still cheated didn't she?". I just told him to let it go and we turned the other way the rest of our time in line, which was difficult!

I think that if you are a family and want to split up it's fine, but don't be halfway across the park then decide that hey, mom/dad is in line with little sis/bro and I want to ride that too so let's just walk thru the line til we meet up with them -- it's just wrong to put other little kids in that situation to question what a bunch of other parents work hard to instill in our kids that we all need to just get along and be patient!.

OK, :soapbox: getting down now......

rubato
06-03-2009, 03:33 PM
I am in the minority here. I don't agree with just letting people get away with obvious line jumping. I think the only way people are ever going to learn they are inconsiderate is if people tell them they are inconsiderate. In the last 2 posts, I would have insisted that they go to the back of the line, or at the very least, explained that, yes, it is wrong. You didn't wait in this line, so move! If families need to be together in line, let the ones in front move to the back to be together. Otherwise, they can ride seperately. It's not setting a good example for our children. I don't want my son to see people cheat the system and then, nothing is done about it. And now, I too am off my soapbox!:)

MNNHFLTX
06-03-2009, 07:54 PM
go It's not setting a good example for our children. I don't want my son to see people cheat the system and then, nothing is done about it. And now, I too am off my soapbox!:)But we primarily teach our children to follow our example as their parents, right? I'm always telling my son that no matter what his friends or their parents do, I follow my own set of values and want him to do the same. And one of those values is taking the high road in certain situations. It's enough that he knows that he is doing the right thing, even if other people aren't. I can appreciate what you are saying; I, too, get frustrated when people put their own needs before everyone else's at WDW. But to me it's not worth a confrontation that might put a damper on the day for us or those around us.

As far as the original poster's question, my son was never into meeting all the characters as much as some people are. So it would never occur to me to use the strategy you mention. We would just stand in line and enjoy each other's company until it was our turn to greet a character and get their autograph. :mickey:

satchel01
06-04-2009, 01:35 PM

Single parent or 2 parents, it's the children in line behind them that suffer when the 2 parents entitle themselves to "time management" at other's expense.

Line jumping, holding places in 2 lines at once, skipping etc...is NOT ok. Imagine how long the lines would be if we all did this (the Simpson's example was excellent). Not to mention the fact that it's just plain rude AND against the rules AND can get you booted from the park .

As far as children needing to use the restroom, if you leave the line technically you should start at the end of the line again. However, this is the child's vacation too and they should not be expected to suffer either the discomfort of having to "go" nor wait in line all over again. I have a big heart for the kids and would never be upset about this. However, in the past when my kids were little I also never did this. I'd take them and we'd go find a different ride with a shorter line and return to that ride later. I wouldn't be comfortable walking back in front of others.

Think of the children. We should be putting them first (and not just your own! when you skip, you skip someone else's kids, you're ok with that?).

Aurora
06-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Forgive me if this has been mentioned, but in all the discussion of whether this is a "black and white" issue, Disney itself injects a little gray here in its "kid swap" policy.

For those who don't know, if you have a child who is too small or scared to ride but mom, dad and older sibs want to, you all wait in line as a family until you get to the front of the line. Then you tell a CM that you're doing a kid swap and they either let baby and parent wait off to the side for the rest of the family or they give baby and parent a TICKET to get in the front of the line when the rest of the fam comes back.

Then when the rest of the family returns, and this is legit, the other parent gets to go to the front of the line to ride, and OTHER SIBS get to ride again if they want to.

Don't know how everyone feels about this policy but it is there for people to use.

Seasonscraps
06-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Forgive me if this has been mentioned, but in all the discussion of whether this is a "black and white" issue, Disney itself injects a little gray here in its "kid swap" policy.

For those who don't know, if you have a child who is too small or scared to ride but mom, dad and older sibs want to, you all wait in line as a family until you get to the front of the line. Then you tell a CM that you're doing a kid swap and they either let baby and parent wait off to the side for the rest of the family or they give baby and parent a TICKET to get in the front of the line when the rest of the fam comes back.

Then when the rest of the family returns, and this is legit, the other parent gets to go to the front of the line to ride, and OTHER SIBS get to ride again if they want to.

Don't know how everyone feels about this policy but it is there for people to use.

The original question wasn't about kid swapping for a scary ride or one the kid can't ride. This is basically an adult waiting in one character line for a child while the kid is on another line meeting a different character. So this kid ends up being in two lines at once. I don't see where the child swap policy would apply to character meets.

Aurora
06-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Right, but then it was broadened by many into a "I don't care what your reason is, no matter what, you don't get to cut in line" issue. Black and white. So I was just saying that even with Disney, there are shades of gray.

And in dealing with gray issues, my rule of thumb is to have some consideration for others, no matter what. In the case of the OP, if you hold a spot in line for your kid while he meets another character, you miss the opportunity to teach your child to have consideration for others and to wait like everyone else.

And because of that, I do expect if my child is waiting in line and has an issue (bathroom emergency, snot running down nose, etc.), that the person in back of me will treat me with consideration in holding my spot in line while I take care of the urgency.

Hence the gray....

Daddy Mouse
06-04-2009, 06:24 PM
Line jumping, holding places in 2 lines at once, skipping etc...is NOT ok. Imagine how long the lines would be if we all did this (the Simpson's example was excellent). Not to mention the fact that it's just plain rude AND against the rules AND can get you booted from the park .

I do not recall ever seeing anything like this posted anywhere at Disney. If you can show me valid proof, I would be happy to change my opinion on this issue.

satchel01
06-04-2009, 08:56 PM
I did some research to try to provide you with hard proof that it's a park policy that line jumpers will be ejected from the park and unfortunately it's not posted. However, I have personally seen a person escorted away for line jumping while in MK and have read of another situation where 2 guests got into an argument over one of them line jumping where security was called over and the offender was escorted out of the park. It's only 2 instances, but I would hope even 1 would be enough to sway someone away from this type of discourteous behavior.

I did make a phone call to WDW guest relations to inquire and was informed that the policy is that cast members WILL step in and try to alleviate the situation if they witness it OR if it's reported to them (obviously if they can't alleviate the situation they'd have to call security which is probably what happened in the 2 instances I referred to). She also said that anyone joining a line from anywhere other than the end IS line jumping and IS NOT allowed.

We are talking about Disney though and I'm sure they don't want to make a big scene. It's understandable that they'd want to make everyone happy and that's why so many people get away with it there (which is ironic because 1 line jumper can make a whole lot of people UNhappy).

Seasonscraps
06-04-2009, 10:00 PM
We are talking about Disney though and I'm sure they don't want to make a big scene. It's understandable that they'd want to make everyone happy and that's why so many people get away with it there (which is ironic because 1 line jumper can make a whole lot of people UNhappy).

This is one of the most frustrating things about Disney to me. There are people that work the system and are ready to pitch a fit to get what they want or think they deserve and Disney condones it by trying to pacify the situation instead of enforcing a policy that is fair to everyone.

iheartdisney
06-05-2009, 08:50 AM
I have also been in line where people passed by me to join their friends or family. When at WDW I am on vacation and want to be able to relax and have a good time. Therefore, I generally don't give it another thought, as I don't want to spoil my vacation. I also don't want to be in the position of passing judgement on others actions - as they may have very good reasons for the line jumping.

We just returned from a trip to WDW. We were waiting in line for Barnstormer - not a priority attraction to most, but it's one of my boys favorites. The wait was 15 minutes - not bad. There was a family ahead of us and a boy (single rider) ahead of them. One of the single boys family members joined him so he let the other family (the one ahead of us) go ahead of him. No big deal. But then, another family member joined him, and then another and then another. When all was said and done 12 (!?!?!) people were now between me and my sons and the family that we were originally behind. I kid you not, 12 people in his "family" that he was holding a place for. They practically filled an entire coaster because many of the adults wanted to ride single. It was ridiculous. I know I posted earlier that holding a place for someone who was in the bathroom, etc. was no big deal to me. But this incident is line jumping at it's finest. I'm oh so curious as to what their "very good reason" for this kind of line jumping could be!

big blue and hairy
06-05-2009, 09:16 AM
That's exactly why I say it's not a black and white issue. 12 people, obviously working the system. One or two taking a potty-break, no big deal.

FaithTrustPixieDust
06-05-2009, 09:37 AM
:beat:

Daddy Mouse
06-30-2009, 03:27 PM
I talked to a representative from WDW this morning. While he admitted there is a gray area, Disney’s official stance is line jumping is not allowed. He gave the example of a family just getting into a line and one of the children has to use the restroom. He stated that Disney is lenient when it comes to that situation. The other situation when a couple of people try to meet up with others who have been waiting in line for an hour without them the CM’s should not allow this to take place. Mostly he said guests at Disney should be courteous to others.

I stated what I had done earlier in a post. Since Disney’s official position would not allow me to wait in one line, while my family is meeting a character or riding another ride. I will never do this again. Nor, will I cry foul when I see this taking place. In many cases I do not think it is a big deal. Now the dead horse may be put to rest!

big blue and hairy
07-02-2009, 04:07 PM
:beat:

Weeeeellll.....that's just cruel....much worse that line jumping...;)

crazypoohbear
07-02-2009, 08:01 PM
I personally don't think it's line jumping.
I also don't have an issue with anybody leaving the line to go to the bathroom, get a drink or whatever they need to do to make themselves comfortable.
I have no problem if someone is tired and cranky and needs to wait in the shade until their party gets up to the entrance.
I have no problem if there is a single parent in line right in front of me or behind me, if they have a kid who needs to go to the bathroom/get a drink or get out of the sun for a few minutes, I will tell them go ahead, I 'll save your spot.
I do not have any right to ask you for evidence that you did indeed go to the bathroom, nor do you have any right to ask me.
I prefer to look at this as spreading a little pixie dust on someone elses day.

I do not know someones medical history, bladder size, heat index meltdown etc.
If you have a kid having a melt down in line I personally would prefer you get out, get them cooled off, calmed down and then join back up. You would be doing all of us a favor rather than making the kid stay in line screaming and makin everyone miserable.

If you try to stop me from passing you to join back up with my family, then we have an issue, who died and made you the gate keeper?

Will people jump lines just to be jerks Absolutely!!!!
Unless I KNOW for sure that you are line jumping I would prefer to think that you had a reason for rejoining your group.
If 12 people tried to jump the line then it would be an issue.
I think everyone should relax, take a breather, and stop thinking the world is out to get you.
Not just at Disney but all throughout your life.

Rosemickey68
07-11-2009, 10:48 AM
I hate it when people jump in line and then get upset at you if anything is said. We were in line for The Land and an elderly couple was in front of us...all of a sudden this man and several family members started cutting in front of us. I said geez how many of you are there and he replied "10", I said this is ridiculous and you all should have waited and came in together that this is cutting and not right at all!
One of the men replied well we tried to stay together but it just didn't happen.
The 10 people that cut in front of us were several kids probably ages 7 and up to teens and some younger adults. You really think that this couple that looked like they were in their 80's rushed ahead of them !?!? Give me a break!!!!! It was just rude! and of course they gave me dirty looks the whole time we were in line because I said something to them! Ha!
If it was one or two people that is different (sometimes people get separated from people rushing into the lines or maybe they left to go to the bathroom) but a whole group of people....just rude and uncalled for!