PDA

View Full Version : disney without the parks

disneyyoung
05-15-2009, 10:54 AM
We are planning to go to Disney In July and would like to do a vacation without the parks and purchasing tickets. Any ideas on what to do during the days other than the pool and Downtown Disney?

TennesseeTink
05-15-2009, 11:21 AM
There is so, so much to do! Horseback riding, fishing, sea raycers, parasailing, minigolf, Richard Petty Driving Experience, etc. I'm sure that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface. We've never done a lot of this stuff but keep saying we're going to plan a trip without parks and explore all the "extras". I say GO FOR IT!:number1:

Marker
05-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Golf, Mini-Golf, Spas, Dinner Shows (i.e. Hoop-Dee-Do), Boardwalk, could always ride around on the Monorail.

ThanxForNoticin
05-15-2009, 12:27 PM
When vacationing at Disney, we often tend to enjoy 1 or 2 days (depending how long we are there) without going to the parks. I'm not sure I could find enough to do (outside of the pool time in the afternoon) for an entire long vacation - UNLESS you are willing to spend the money for things like golf, mini-golf, boat rentals, and some of the other things already posted. If your goal is to save some money by not purchasing park passes, I'm not sure most of these suggestions are going to help keep your costs down.

If the cost is not your biggest concern, you certainly can enjoy these fun things outside the parks. And don't forget you can enjoy certain evening activities, such as campfires, perhaps watching Wishes fireworks from the Poly or GF or CR, and watching the water pagent. Hope you have a great time!

pox24
05-15-2009, 02:44 PM
We do no park week ends alot. One of our favorite things to do is hotel hop and shop. A nice excursion is we valet at the WL. Eat breakfast there, boat to the CR, then on to the Poly, then the GF. Along the way visit each gift shop and store. Do the same at the Boardwalk and all the other hotels. If you don't have wheels the buses can take you anywhere. Then there is DTD. This is just scratching the surface without already mentioning what everyone else has suggested. For an adult twist, in the evening retrace the the WL route and try a Margarita at each stop. The boat and Monorail come in handy for this trip. Golf or Tennis anyone? Bikes at Fort Wilderness. Jellyrolls night club and Atlantic Dance at the Boardwalk, then sleep in, eat early lunch, swim, catch a movie matinee at DTD. Dinner around 7 at the GF and enjoy Wishes and the Water Pageant from the grounds. These are just some of the non park things we do. Have fun.

Mushu11756
05-15-2009, 05:19 PM
The last time we were there we had a mini van and were able to leave WDW witch is a big plus if you want to avoid the parks. We have family that live in Florida so we used our points rather than a hotel. Don't forget it's the vacation capital of the world! Lots to do!:mickey:

sisterdisco
05-15-2009, 05:26 PM
Go to other onsite resorts and explore them, have a meal there.
Go to the Campground for a movie at night. You can roast marshmellows there, and they have bleachers.
See all the different fireworks from other spots outside the parks!

dmosher
05-15-2009, 05:49 PM
We always make sure to take a few days "off
" from the parks. The most important thing is to relax and enjoy your Villa. We stay at the WL and there is so much to do that involves just looking around and relaxing. Check to see what activities and tours may be happening at your hotel, you may be surprised at the events that unfold when everyone else is Park Hoping.
:pipes:
D

MinnieMommie
05-16-2009, 10:10 AM
I always like to take at least one day on each trip to relax without going to the parks. There is always so much to do. On our last trip we stayed at AKL for part of our trip and I took my "day off" while there. In addition to the food and amazing dining I used the fitness center, toured the African art displayed throughout the resort, enjoyed the evening lecture offered, did the evening animal watch and enjoyed the African story telling around the fire before dining (late) at Jikos. I didn't even have to leave the resort to fill in the time.

Check out what your resort has to offer. Resort hopping is something I enjoy and especially visiting the monorail loop resorts. Lots of shopping, dinning and architecture to explore. :mickey:

mdhiggin
05-16-2009, 03:36 PM
movie nights and contests by the pool, dinner at other resorts, surrey bikes, pedal boats, exploring hotels, movies, shopping, Cirque du Soleil

DonLefNY
05-17-2009, 08:11 AM
My last trip I spent a day at the Kennedy Space Center.

RAIDER
05-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Theres so much to to in Florida .
So many parks and shows your spoilt for choice :cloud9:
A few suggestions ( some have been already mentioned )

Blue Man Group
Cirque de Soliel
Silver Springs
Busch Gardens
Theme Night shows / meals like Medievil Times/ Pirates etc
WD Hotel hopping
Kennedy Space Centre
and if you feel adventerous you have the Everglades and Key West :thumbsup:
And dont forget SHOPPING :D

Mackflava99
05-19-2009, 09:32 PM
we are coming down for 11 days in June and only doing 5 park days- we will have 6 free days- we are staying at Beach club, so we do have that cool pool...
Our plan is ( since we are DVC) to do some pool hopping-
then -
bike riding at wilderness lodge.
rent some boats at Contemporary
mini golf
Disney Quest
horseback riding
fishing - you can charter a boat that takes you out bass fishing ( at dock near yacht club)
tea at grand floridian
we are also going to typhoon lagoon one day too...
balloon ride at DTD

Jeffybob
05-31-2009, 12:36 PM
Disney offers a slew of terrific diversions:

Golf - classic and miniature courses
Tennis - 16 courts scattered around the World
Fishing - guided or on your own
Biking
Boating - canoeing, cruising, pedal, personal, sailing, motorboating, plus waterskiing, wakeboarding and tubing
Jogging
Parasailing
Swimming
Stock Car Driving
Health Clubs - 10 WDW resorts offer free access to health club facilities
and
Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex

Additionally, there are waterparks, natural distractions (Fort Wilderness), romantic excursions, specialty cruises and spas.

-Jeffybob (Boardwalk DVC Member since '98) :mickey:

2009 - BWV (2), DCL - Eastern Caribbean
2008 - BWV (2)
2007 - BWV
2006 - DLR (2), SSR, BWV, DCL - Western Caribbean
2005 - HH, BWV (2)
2003 - BWV
2002 - BWV, Disneyland Paris
2001 - BWV, DLC - Bahamas
2000 - BWV
1999 - BWV, HH, VB
1998 - BWV, Swan

epceddie
06-01-2009, 01:49 AM
We were unable to get a room for all seven of the nights we stayed during a trip in October of 2008, so I booked a hotel in Daytona Beach to fill the one-night gap and we got a very reasonable studio ($69) with a balcony right on the ocean.
We sat outside and watched the sunset and got up to see the sun rise.
It was the week after Biker Week and there was nobody around. It felt like we had the whole place to ourselves.
It was a little cold to use the outdoor pool, but they had a heated indoor pool that was fantastic.
Plus, it was a nice ride to the coast and we got a chance to visit a Sonic for the first time. We see the TV ads all the time, but they don't have any restaurants up here.

patandtwins
06-11-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm thinking about doing that too. I'm looking into getting tickets to another nearby park that costs less than WDW(don't know if it's ok to mention it on here, but Shamu is/was there). I figure a day at the pool, a day at downtown disney and a day at this other park and maybe a day at it's water park and we'll be good. There is golf and Disneyquest and Cirque De Solei(sp?). My inlaws always rent bikes when they stay at SSR and all the Wilderness resorts are good for renting bikes too. The boardwalk in the evening is good for a bit.