PDA

View Full Version : How Trashy Do You Let Your Room Get?

Granny Jill A
05-15-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm kind of a neat freak when it comes to my resort hotel room. But I've seen rooms that look like a tornado went through them. OK, I admit I peek when doors or curtains are open. How many of you neaten up your room before leaving for the parks each day? And how many just let the dirty socks fall where they may?

Septbride2002
05-15-2009, 09:26 AM
I can't stand to live in a messy house so the same goes for a hotel room. I'm not saying I scrub the place down but we certainly empty our trash and organize stuff as we stay in the room to make sure 1) we don't lose anything important and 2) it just looks nicer.

I'm thinking this year about taking a foldup laundry hamper with us - it only cost $5.00 at Walmart and it folds flat. That way we can throw our dirty clothes in it all week and not just keep throwing it in a suitcase on the floor.

~Amanda

pandkx3
05-15-2009, 09:33 AM
It makes me nervous to live in clutter, so I've gotten to organize and straighten up each day. It makes it so much easier to find things:mickey:

disneymom15
05-15-2009, 09:48 AM
We straighten up somewhat (nothing like what I do at home). The biggest mess is on the small table in the room. All the check in papers, park maps and useless receipts seem to collect on the table.

gerald72
05-15-2009, 09:58 AM
I can't stand to live in a messy house so the same goes for a hotel room. I'm not saying I scrub the place down but we certainly empty our trash and organize stuff as we stay in the room to make sure 1) we don't lose anything important and 2) it just looks nicer.

I'm thinking this year about taking a foldup laundry hamper with us - it only cost $5.00 at Walmart and it folds flat. That way we can throw our dirty clothes in it all week and not just keep throwing it in a suitcase on the floor.

~Amanda

The kids always want to bring their Disney stuffed animals on our trip. So I bring them down in the laundry hamper, and then empty it out and that's where our dirty clothes go.
Then the animals always end up in the window/ curtain or watching tv when the maid visits.

MNNHFLTX
05-15-2009, 09:58 AM
I must confess that I like a neat room too. The only thing left even slightly messy is the bed because one of the best things about being on vacation is that someone else makes the bed!

2lilboys
05-15-2009, 10:10 AM
We have traveled several times with my sister, her husband and 3 boys and their room is always a mess! You cannot see the floor in there. That would drive me crazy!!;)

I try to be as neat as possible on vacation, but we are not extremely tidy. I guess we just try to keep everything in its place. Since we always drive and I do laundry mid-week, I bring a laundry basket and all dirty clothes go in there. We try to keep the bathrooms counters clear so we bring a hanging organizer to put personal items. Usually all receipts go into a folder and spare change goes into my husband's clothing drawer. I try to straighten up the room each day so that the housekeeper can get in and vacuum the floors.

Goofeygal
05-15-2009, 10:20 AM
I am a neat freak so the room is usually very neat when we leave for the day. I just can't stand clutter and things out of place.

Mickey'sGirl
05-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Good idea. We always travel with a fold up hamper (it folds to nothing in the suitcase). The room is always organized and relatively clean (you can tell that there are people staying in it) -- often there are towels or swimsuits hanging either over the shower, or the coat rack...But we leave the room the way that we would leave our home. I certainly don't expect anyone to be collecting my garbage, or moving my dirty clothing out of the way. Other than making the beds and cleaning the bathrooms, I think there is very little to do in our room as a rule.

marlaine
05-15-2009, 10:35 AM
I always straighten up the room too. When we first get there, I empty the suitcases and put all the clothes in drawers or in the closet. Our dirty clothes go in a bag in the suitcase every night. We always stay at the Poly, and it seems like the couch ends up being the catch-all. I always take a sweep for garbage before heading out too. I don't make the beds though-like others, that's the only week out of a year that I don't have to make beds!:cloud9:

SBETigg
05-15-2009, 10:37 AM
We always straighten up the room before we leave for the day and again in the evening, mainly to make sure that we don't lose anything. It's easy for personal items to get taken away with bed linens by mistake. So we make sure nothing but the bedding is left on the beds (but I never make the beds). We put our personal effects away, in drawers or suitcase. We tidy up a bit, toss away trash and recycling, etc. I'm not adverse to clutter, but you're already living in a small enough space in a hotel room, so why not keep it neat and make it seem like more space?

TheRustyScupper
05-15-2009, 10:39 AM
1) We normally keep our rooms neat and usually tidy.
2) However, the "clean gene" never made it to the kids and grandkids.
3) They have raised Messy to an art form.

#1donaldfan
05-15-2009, 10:51 AM
...we generally keep our room somewhat organized, however our definition of organized may be someone else's nightmare.....you can see our floor....

....we too, bring the mesh, foldy type of hamper, it generally gets full by day two....ha, ha, ha.....:blush:

PiratesCove
05-15-2009, 10:54 AM
<~~~Neat freak when it comes to the hotel room. It always seems that Mousekeeping appreciates it and leaves us little extras. :cloud9:

Belster
05-15-2009, 10:56 AM
I am a neat freak...but I also try to keep in mind that I am on vacation and I do not need to stress my family out with be overly neat. I do keep the clothes in a hamper bag when dirty and in the dresser when clean. We also keep out toiletries all nice and neat on the counter with toothbrushes in a cup. Other than that there may be a few toys here and there...I mean come on it is a 400 square foot room that I cram 5 people into...how neat can it really be?

TheDuckRocks
05-15-2009, 11:18 AM
In general I like tidy living areas but on vacation where you have to put more people in smaller spaces being tidy is an absolute must.
But there is no way, no how that I'm making the beds. That's why I take Mousekeeping envelopes with green stuff inside.

caryrae
05-15-2009, 11:48 AM

~Amanda

That's a good idea, we would always bring an empty garbage bag for dirty cloths but that sounds good too.

GottaLvDisney
05-15-2009, 12:20 PM
I can't stand a mess, whether at home or away, so I always straighten things up before we leave. We bought a travel hamper before our last trip and I loved it, although I think I'll need two this time.

Tinkerbella16
05-15-2009, 12:32 PM
We are neat freaks and even when we go away on vacations. So our room in wdw is always neat and straightened up. We always have everything organized and we leave NO trash around anywhere but the trashcans. I can't live in a messy house, let alone a small hotel room.

MickeyMousse
05-15-2009, 12:59 PM
I am probably more organized and neater in my room than I am at home!! I always have my DS's pick up after themselves with the warning that they don't want to lose/misplace/leave anything behind upon check out.
And before we leave for the parks, the sofa bed is always made and put away and our bed is quickly made.

bostomco
05-15-2009, 01:22 PM
We're fairly neat, but nothing like my mother in law! She insists on making the beds (even on her last day!). I guess for us it boils down to: "treat others as you would like to be treated." Based on that I try to gauge how much mess I could stand if I had a short amount of time to clean the room. I suppose you could pull a rockstar and destroy the place if you left a big enough tip for mousekeeping! :ack:

Disney Doll
05-15-2009, 02:09 PM
We keep our room tidy too. A hotel room is generally a small space and a little organization can really help it feel less claustrophobic. I also agree about the treat others as you would like to be treated.

JPL
05-15-2009, 02:18 PM
I keep my room very tidy probably neater than I keep my room at home:blush:

c&d
05-15-2009, 02:36 PM
I keep my room very tidy probably neater than I keep my room at home:blush:

I just don't want mousekeeping to have to walk around in a really messy room trying to clean it.

kakn7294
05-15-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm also a neat freak when it comes to our room. I put everything away within reason - dirty clothes are in a laundry bag, PJs are stacked in a neat pile, toiletries are in their bag or neatly placed on the counter / tub, towels are hung or placed in a pile on the bathroom floor, nothing is left strewn about the room - the kids toys and blankets are also put away or stacked in neat piles and not left on the beds for the mousekeeper to have to move. I do not make the beds.

TennesseeTink
05-15-2009, 02:49 PM

~Amanda

We do this too. A pile of dirty clothes looks so junky. Plus I often do laundry while we're at WDW if we stay for more than a few days. Four people accumulate an awful lot of dirty clothes pretty quickly.

Also before we head out for the day, I pull the covers up on the bed and fold our pjs. That makes a big difference. A messy bed can make a whole room look messy.

TheVBs
05-15-2009, 05:15 PM
We keep everything organized, mostly so we don't lose anything, and that helps keep things neat. I would never leave trash out, it all goes in the can, and I try not to leave anything on the floor except shoes and towels that need to be taken. Never in a million years would it occur to me to make the beds in a hotel room!! :D But, I do wipe the sink and table if there's a mess.

dmosher
05-15-2009, 05:55 PM
We stay at the Villas and so only get Mousekeeping every 4 days. That being said, we are rather picky about our rooms' upkeep. When we arrive, we unpack into drawers hide the suitcases and organize everything. The goal is to keep it as uncluttered as possible. We keep everything that goes to the parks with us in one place, a stack of guides and maps in another, etc. Yes, usually the table with the receipts, passporter and Parks Maps gets a little unruly, but otherwise we do most everything, short of fully making the bed. Oh wait, we have done that too.
Oh, never mind.
:pipes:
D

RedSoxFan
05-15-2009, 05:56 PM
We keep our room organized too. Everything is put in its place before we leave for the day.

Marilyn Michetti
05-15-2009, 06:44 PM
There's just me and DH, so we designate one of the bottom drawers for dirty clothes, rolling them up military style. NOBODY should have to pick up somebody else's underwear or socks. We don't make the bed, but pull up the covers a bit so it doesn't look so messy.:blush:

jillluvsdisney
05-15-2009, 07:16 PM
I'm a neat freak. I don't like clutter. It makes me nervous. This feeling extends to vacations also. I also keep my room very tidy. The only thing Mouesekkeping has to do is empty the trash and and leave fresh towels. They should tip me. :mickey: That being said, I still leave 2 or 3 bucks everyday.

It'sWDW4me
05-15-2009, 08:38 PM

~Amanda

I got one of those when my DS11 and I went down in 2007. Those things are the BEST. At the end of our trip I just emptied it out into one of the suitcases (it was nice to not have to open/close/move a suitcase every time we needed to put dirty clothes away) and folded the hamper back up. Voila! Last year there were 4 of us and we had 2 hampers. They fit so nicely and are very accessible yet out of the way in the sink area. :thumbsup:

We straighten up somewhat (nothing like what I do at home). The biggest mess is on the small table in the room. All the check in papers, park maps and useless receipts seem to collect on the table.

:ditto: Although last year I took one of those letter sized plastic envelopes with the string closure and just shoved them in there. For some reason I just can't bring myself to throw out the worn, crumpled park maps - it seems so sacrilegious!

I must confess that I like a neat room too. The only thing left even slightly messy is the bed because one of the best things about being on vacation is that someone else makes the bed!

YOU SAID IT!!! :exactly:

mom2morgan
05-15-2009, 10:08 PM
I find it really hard to stay neat in a tiny space, but on our really bad days we hang the do not disturb sign so Mousekeeping doesn't have to deal with it. I never thought of a folding laundry hamper but we bring a big clear garbage bag to throw our dirties in.

Yvette
05-16-2009, 09:03 AM
Another neat freak here. I too get nervous if the room is disorganized. Not that I'm worried about theft, just a general uneasiness. I need to know where all my "stuff' is (Insert hilarious George Carlin bit here. RIP dude)

NOW, my DD daughter, whom I adore, is quite a bit messier than me. We haven't been to on a trip together for a while, so I am hoping that she has changed a bit since aquiring a home of her own......please ;)

We'll find out soon...leaving tomorrow. WooHoo! :cloud9:

sweetsavannah
05-16-2009, 10:13 AM
When we went, we traveled with two others, and they were messy! I can't say I was perfect, but I like organization. We each basically staked out a side of the room, theirs you couldn't see the floor! I felt guily every time we left because I knew mousekeeping would have to see it and I can only imagine what they were thinking! Next time it will just be my daughter and I, and i won't have to worry about being embarassed!:blush:

Seasonscraps
05-16-2009, 10:39 AM
I try to keep the room on the neat side - mousekeeping shouldn't have to clean up my stuff, just the room. I'll put the laundry away, make sure trash is in the garbage can, etc I dont make the bed or anything like that.

Mousemates
05-16-2009, 11:04 AM
I'm kind of a neat freak when it comes to my resort hotel room. But I've seen rooms that look like a tornado went through them. OK, I admit I peek when doors or curtains are open.

in the future please refrain from looking in my room when you walk by ;) ...our clutter needs it's privacy. :laughing:

Darbylew
05-16-2009, 11:05 AM
I am also a neat freak so I leave our room as
neat as I can before we leave for the parks. I
don't make the beds but pick up and leave
things as neat as I can. I am the same way at
home. :D

MushuGrl
05-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Like someone else mentioned, the small table in the room becomes a gathering place for clutter (maps, cups, etc.) but other than that, we pretty much keep things organized.

The clothes hamper idea is great!

BluewaterBrad
05-16-2009, 04:49 PM
I have stayed in all types of hotels, inns,hostels, etc. all over. My mother would not be pleased with me if I ever left a room "messy"!!:mickey:

mouseketeer mom
05-16-2009, 05:24 PM
I need to keep organized on our trips. (home too!)..its like swimming upstream with the kids though..they leave a trail in their path. Flip flop kicked to the right! The other to the left. Bathing suits are searched out, and park clothes tossed. I hate it. I try so hard to keep things in check and my kids work against me. They have gotten better with age though.. I like to keep things as neat as I can on our trips. The room can feel awfully small otherwise, and I also just have the basic need of living in a neat enviornment. DH is the same as me, so we are a neat team on our trips!

buzznwoodysmom
05-16-2009, 06:06 PM
I can't stand living in a mess so our hotel rooms are always as neat as we keep our house. I don't make the beds, but I do make sure that all pillows and blankets and comforters (we take comforters off to sleep) are neatly placed on the bed on our way out. I also tend to wipe down the tables and counter tops everyday. It seems that some of the mousekeepers aren't taught to wipe down surfaces really well. My kids usually end up with so many toys and stuffed animals that by the end of our trip its really hard to keep everything in check so the neater everything is the easier it is to keep track of everything.

PETE FROM NYC
05-16-2009, 06:40 PM
On previous vacations we used a large fabric laundry bag, but got one of those folding hampers about 10 yrs ago. I think we may have worn out or broken and replaced them more than once.
We try to keep all of our personal toiletries neat.
We do not leave any major trash anywhere,or our clothes and shoes strewn all over. Used towels get neatly piled in a corner.
The table usually becomes a receptacle for brochures, and the various trinkets we buy.
Believe me, we are about as far from being neat freaks as you can get, but at the same time we do try not to be total slobs, either.
The rooms are confining enough without having to step over anything.

Hull-onian
05-16-2009, 06:49 PM
I have a confession. We do not let the maid into clean. We clean everything our selves. Don't assume we don't give the mousekeeper a tip, cause we do. She leaves us fresh towels, toilet paper, cups, shampoo, soap, and takes our trash and used towels. So we leave everything very neat and clean. :mop::dishes::laundry::iron: It looks like no one was ever in the room. We also wipe every surface with clorox wipes as well.

faline
05-16-2009, 06:50 PM
I don't make the bed but I always neaten up before leaving the room. I would be embarassed to have everything just strewn around everywhere!

Hull-onian
05-16-2009, 06:51 PM
We also re-make the beds. :thumbsup:

iheartdisney
05-16-2009, 09:00 PM
I can't stand to live in a messy house so the same goes for a hotel room.... I'm thinking this year about taking a foldup laundry hamper with us - it only cost $5.00 at Walmart and it folds flat. That way we can throw our dirty clothes in it all week and not just keep throwing it in a suitcase on the floor.

~Amanda

Mess makes me crazy. I can't think. So we neaten, too.

As for the "hamper" I empty a suitcase of clean clothes and put them in the drawers (usually the kids clothes and yes, I wipe down the inside of the drawers first) then I put the empty suitcase in the closet, upright with the zipper open part-way. As we have dirty clothes I just stuff them in the suitcase-hamper. No need to bring anything extra! As other suitcases empty, more hampers!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-16-2009, 09:27 PM
I try to keep my room as neat as possible. I put the dirty clothes in the empty suitcase, which is in the closet. I put the dirty towels in a pile on the bathroom floor. I do put the receipts, maps etc on the table too so that looks kind of messy by the end of the trip. I can't sleep if the place is a mess! But I too draw the line at actually making the bed. I throw all my trash into the trash basket.

amd780
05-17-2009, 01:36 PM
We always keep our hotel room neat. Not only do we prefer a clean, organized environment, but I too would be embarrassed if the Mousekeepers came in to our room and it was a mess! :)

Kathy Jetson
05-17-2009, 02:55 PM
we clean up befor we leave room. the top of the dresser and the table become a catch all. we just kind of pull covers over bed so its not to messy but we do not leave anything on floor for mousekeeping to walk around. I like the idea of a haning organizer to put all the toiletries.

KAT1811
05-17-2009, 03:18 PM
The only thing left even slightly messy is the bed because one of the best things about being on vacation is that someone else makes the bed!

That is one of the things that is going to stink about staying DVC this year. I have to make the beds! UGH! I hate making the beds at home (although I do everyday) but on vacation is even worse!

We bought a travel hamper before our last trip and I loved it, although I think I'll need two this time.

I bring a three part travel folding hamper I found online. I am a bit obsessive about my laundry and this way I can separate our laundry into lights, darks, and handwash (there are 6 of us so lots of laundry)! They also have them in two sections. I found them online MUCH cheaper!

in the future please refrain from looking in my room when you walk by ;) ...our clutter needs it's privacy. :laughing:

I must confess I too look! :blush:

I have a confession. We do not let the maid into clean. We clean everything our selves. . . So we leave everything very neat and clean. :mop::dishes::laundry::iron: It looks like no one was ever in the room. We also wipe every surface with clorox wipes as well.

Okay not touching this one! LOL! Only teasing! :mickey:

KAT1811
05-17-2009, 03:19 PM
Anyone notice that no one has replied "I leave my room a huge mess!"? LOL!

TheVBs
05-17-2009, 03:55 PM
The top of the entertainment center becomes our catch-all, and this time we brought gallon sized ziplocks for that stuff. It helped a lot! We kept receipts in one and used others for small stuff like pressed coins, pins, etc.

Toughbug
05-17-2009, 04:10 PM
We keep it neat and organized. That way we don't stand the risk of leaving anything behind. And the rooms are too small at the ASResorts to leave them a total mess.

disneynarula
05-17-2009, 04:12 PM
We straighten up and pull the covers up. I don't make the bed or take out the trash. I do use the drawers and an empty suitcase for dirty laundry. I put all the trash in the cans and the wet towels in the tub.

I can not sleep in an unamde bed. If I get home ten minutes before I go to bed I will remake it. The best thing about staying in a hotel is coming "home" to a freshly made bed and a clean bathroom.

biodtl
05-17-2009, 11:44 PM
We're messy, I have to admit. We won't leave stuff all over -I'll take a giant ziploc for dirty clothes and I use a door-hanger show organizer for our toiletries, but I don't make beds or worry about the table and dresser.

KAT1811
05-18-2009, 06:14 AM
We're messy, I have to admit. We won't leave stuff all over -I'll take a giant ziploc for dirty clothes and I use a door-hanger show organizer for our toiletries, but I don't make beds or worry about the table and dresser.

I wouldn't call that messy at all. I would call clothes strewn all over the place messy. Anyone with a door hanger for organization is exempt from the messy category! LOL!

I forgot about the shoe organizer! That is a tip I got on here a couple years ago and LOVE it!!!! We bought a clear over the door shoe hanger and put all our toilettries in it (clear so you can see what is in all the pockets)! It realy takes care of the clutter around the bathroom area and makes life a lot easier!

brownie
05-18-2009, 07:44 AM
We always leave the room neat when we leave, including piling the towels up together and pulling the covers back over the beds.

jakeybake
05-18-2009, 09:43 AM
I have total OCD when it comes to cleanliness so our room looks as if no one has ever stepped foot into it. We utilize the bureau for our clothes, the closet for other items and we place our luggage in to closet and put our dirty clothes in there each day. Also, everthing goes into the trash that belongs there and the rest is nice and neat on the desk.

I know what you are all thinking, "his poor wife". Yeah, the woman is a saint, but she is also as neat as they come so we work well together.

The kids on the other hand................

Jay

SFD998
05-18-2009, 11:10 AM
I can't stand it when things are messy so I always keep things neat. I keep the dirty clothes in a seperate drawer and have all the suitcases neatly stored. I also make the beds. Any empty soda cans etc. are put in their proper bins. There have been times that you would never know someone was staying in the room. OCD isn't always a bad thing!

Dsnygirl
05-18-2009, 04:03 PM
:D Wow, it seems like we have a bunch of neat-freaks here on I'cot!! :D

Count me in as one, too... I like my room like I like my house -- lived in, but everything is easy to find and where it "belongs".

We always put our clothes away on in the "closets" and dressers... just feels more like we're "home"... so our suitcases are empty for dirty clothes. As far as toiletries, I try to tidy up the sink, etc., after we're done getting ready and throw towels in one spot... probably the messiest thing we leave is our beds, as like another poster said, it feels so good to not have to make them while we're there! Oh, and our shoes are sometimes a bit all over the place... but that's just b/c I bring too many. :blush: (Plus, I LOVE how the mousekeeping staff always line them up so nice... they do a better job than we do! :thumbsup:)

This year will be a bit different for us, as we're doing a "split stay", so some stuff may not get unpacked 'til we get to our second resort. I may even pack what I think we'll wear later in the trip into one suitcase, so I can just ignore it the first 5 days and it'll be ready to go when we are!

Sigh... now I want to go unpack, and our trip isn't 'til the fall!! ;)

iheartdisney
05-18-2009, 04:36 PM
The kids on the other hand................

Jay

Let me know when you find a solution for the kids!

Granny Jill A
05-19-2009, 02:40 PM

I know it's a weakness of mine - open door or window - I look.

I think Intercoters (intercotees?) are the neatest folks on the planet, judging by your responses.

Giselle
05-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Medium mess. Part of the fun of vacay for me is not making the bed and wiping out the sink. I try to keep things picked up, but it gets cluttery in such small space.

iheartdisney
05-19-2009, 04:17 PM
I think Intercoters (intercotees?) are the neatest folks on the planet, judging by your responses.

No...all the "messy" Intercoters/ees are whistling, avoiding eye contact with this thread and busy finding other threads to join so we won't find them out! :secret:

rmsongs
05-19-2009, 08:39 PM
This question gave me a little chuckle. I think I'm neater in my hotel room than I am at home!! Other than leaving the towels next to the tub, everything gets straightened before we leave for the parks in the morning. Of course, I wash my hair before I get it cut, too. :D

crltkcagle
05-19-2009, 08:46 PM
I try to maintain order as much as possible. But it is vacation I and love having someone else clean up after me for once. :mickey:

Catzle
05-20-2009, 07:25 AM
We always bring a ton of grocery bags from home so all trash and or dirty laundry gets picked up and put in their proper place. Nothing ever touches the floor. I won't even put our suitcases on the floor. I have a feeling the floor is very germ dirty even if it has been vaccummed.
I always clean up the bathroom so nothing accidentally gets thrown away.
Now the only place that is a mess is the dresser top where all of our days receipts and maps and camera's and phones etc. go. So usually we can't see the top of the dresser until we pack it all up to go home.

kbean
05-20-2009, 03:58 PM
I like to have clean sheets and towels....so I try to keep it neat as possible. I figure the more work for the maids, the less they are gonna want to do little extra favors. It's just common courtesy.

Aero
05-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Vacation is chance to start anew, away from all the mess at home, so I try to keep it clean. I don't get a lot of help on this from my daughters and wife, tho.

One thing I can't stand is to live out of suitcases, so I empty them and everything goes into the dressers.

- Aero

Itchy
05-20-2009, 05:45 PM
I always try to straighten up the room before I leave for the parks. I will even pull up the bed spread.

I hate to tell on my kids but there room at resort looks like a hurricane has hit it twice. FEMA would not want to go in there.

I have asked them to pick things up and they say dont worry about it, " It will happen ".

I am still waiting for the magic wand to appear.:blush:

I dont want people to think that a dirty room is the way I live at home.

86 days and counting:mickey: