PDA

View Full Version : Albany/Rensselaer

jrkcr
05-14-2009, 10:36 PM
We had planned to move to Las Vegas in July for DHs job, and even buy a house there. I love the desert, and will miss Nevada ALOT.

But now, the DHs company says we are probably going to be sent to Albany NY.

So today was a rough day for me. I have no desire to be humid, cold, shoveling snow, and plus they have no Costco there(hahaha). But I am very happy that DH will still be employed!!

Anyone have any thing to tell me that will make me happy to be moving there?

Mousefever
05-15-2009, 12:42 AM
You will be very close to Vermont (one of my favorite places)! You will also experience gorgeous autumns. I hope that helps! :thumbsup:

Amy

Zippy 1
05-15-2009, 02:52 AM
While you will have to deal with humidity and snow, the Albany area is beautiful. Fall is an absolutely beautiful time of year. You are not that far from NYC. A few hours on the train and you can take in a show or do some great shopping. I grew up in upstate N.Y. There is so much to do and see. And yes you are near Vermont and some great skiing!! I hope you will give it a chance I think you will find lots to like!!!

RedSoxFan
05-15-2009, 07:23 AM
Albany is 3 hours from me. Very pretty area. DS19 was accepted to U. of Albany but chose Oswego State instead. Falls in NY are breathtaking. The summers are nice too without all the heat and humidity on a daily basis.

Scar
05-15-2009, 08:07 AM
You'll only about an hour or so from Cooperstown. :thumbsup:

TikiGoddess
05-15-2009, 10:01 AM
My brother lives next to a lake in Wynantskill, NY. He went to Renssalaer Polytech Inst. for college and stayed in the area after graduating. He loves it!

Yes, the winters are cold and snowy (especially if you're used to Nevada), but you're very close to ski resorts... and the summers are temperate. I live about 2 hrs away in CT and last summer we used our air conditioners only a few weeks during the summer.

There's a bunch of Intercotees in upstate NY... :)

Kathy

jrkcr
05-15-2009, 12:35 PM
I am actually OK with this move now. I guess I just had to get over the initial shock. I spent most of yesterday saying "i just can't believe we're not going to vegas" over and over. But I woke up this morning excited to be moving to NY! I recover quickly. :blush:

I even found a beautiful farmhouse for rent on craigslist-it will probably be gone by the time we move...but still. I am really looking forward to moving! Fall is my absolute favorite season, and I have always thought of moving to the NE(but further away, like the bay of fundy).

So thanks for all the encouraging words!! Sounds like NY is going be to a fun experience!! Now I can get one of those t-shirts!!
I :heart: NY

ttccluvsdis
05-16-2009, 09:04 PM
I am about an hour and 10 minutes west of Albany but my daughter is a competitive swimmer and we are in Albany at 3 times a month. I love that city. There is always something going on.
The Hudson is a beautiful and the towns downstate are awesome. We go to NYC all the time, we just drive to Poughkepsie and take the train in. White Plains (about a 90 minute drive from Albany) has an amazing mall, not to mention the most awesome outlet mall ever, woodbury commons. Lake George and Lake Placid are so fun.
Yes, it snows, but there so much more to the state.
Traci

EpcotFan182
05-18-2009, 09:30 PM
I go to school in Albany - there is plenty to do and a lot more within reasonable distance.

Saratoga Springs and Lake George are only about a 90 minute drive

There's PLENTY of shopping and a lot of restaurants - just about every chain restaurant under the sun plus a lot of independent places that make Albany what it is.

You're about 3 hours north of NYC

There's a BJ's to fill your Costco void!! :)

jrkcr
05-19-2009, 12:46 AM
Ya'll are right-Albany and the entire state sounds great!

DD17 and I found an aikido dojo in NYC right near Penn station for a once a month special treat for her. Now she has to find a more local dojo near Albany to go to daily.

And I had never heard of BJ's until it was in yahoo news this week-so now I know where to mega-shop! (thanks)

DH work will be right on the Hudson in Rensselaer(sorry if I can't spell that yet). He knows even less about NY than I do-so this will be an educational experience for us all!!

Now if we can just find the right rental house...with 3 kids, a dog, and cats, and fish...it's like moving a ZOO. :dog::cat::monkey::pig::squirrel::chicken::deer2:

TikiGoddess
05-19-2009, 07:54 AM
We go to NYC all the time, we just drive to Poughkepsie and take the train in. White Plains (about a 90 minute drive from Albany) has an amazing mall, not to mention the most awesome outlet mall ever, woodbury commons. Lake George and Lake Placid are so fun.

Traci

Oooh, Woodbury Commons. They have a Disney Store Outlet there, last I heard!

I grew up in the Hudson Valley (Kingston, about 90 min south of Albany). It is a very active area with lots of arts, sports, and events happening.

Kathy

Auntie
05-28-2009, 10:34 AM
We vacation in the Saratoga Springs area. Which is about 30 minutes north of Albany. There are really lovely areas just north of Albany that I would move to in a heart beat. Clifton Park, Mechanicville, Balston Spa, Malta, Wilton, Glens Falls...all great areas..great schools within an easy commute to Albany. In fact many people who live in these areas work in and around Albany. Most of the mentioned areas are within 20 to thirty minutes off of I87 (The Northway).
Also..as far as a Costco..I'm pretty sure there is one near the Crossgates Mall..which is near the Albany exit off the Northway. Oh..by the way..Crossgates Mall..very nice..as well as another good mall in Wilton.
AMD (computer processers) is opening a pretty big operation in what's called Luther Forest..in the Malta/Balston Spa area. Bringing some 1400 jobs to the area. This is an up and coming area and you may be interested in checking it out.
There is also Amtrack Service (a northeast run) that will bring you right into Penn Station, should you want to visit NYC. It's a really lovely trip along the Hudson.

jrkcr
05-28-2009, 11:14 AM
I'm copying/pasting all this great info on my "things to do in NY" list! Thanks!!

I keep singing songs about NY(i sing all the time). Yesterday I was stuck on danke shoen, darling danke shoen..." just cause it has that line about central park in fall. Which I now have plans to SEE central park in fall!! :thumbsup:

I looks at craigslist everyday for a house, but the right one hasn't come along yet. I'm sure it will though. I have about 60 days to find a house.(but who's counting)