PDA

View Full Version : Post 200! Who was at DW in '76-'77

maxrebo77
05-14-2009, 03:38 AM
The number 200 always makes me think Bicentennial. Since my first visit was in Jan 77, in true Disney fashion, the post party will include visits during 1976-77 (and of course, anything close)
I'd like to hear the Who, What, When, Where and Why.
Also, what do you remember most (or think you do) I dug out my old ticket booklet and there are attractions on it I don't even remember. I think it was because everything was ticketed.
Prices (HDD) was $12.50
What do you still keep? And what will you never forget.

tjstrike
05-14-2009, 05:00 AM
I was in DL in Dec. of 77'. Don't remember a whole lot about it (I was 9), do remember the Mattahorn and the 20,000 leagues under the sea ride. I remember more about Knott's berry farm. The parachutes and the cork screw. :thumbsup:

That was along time ago.

Cinderella's mom
05-14-2009, 07:57 AM
I was only 5, but remember parts of it. I remember the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House, The Jungle Cruise, eating at The Crystal Palace and seeing the characters, the parades (I still remember Snow White waving at just me!!!) and of course the fireworks. I think this was the first time that I had seen any fireworks. I just remembered riding POTC for the first time and the drop! I kept my eyes closed during the whole Snow White ride, but my mm convinced me to open them during the Dwarfs Mine and how pretty it was. Mr. Toad's wild ride scared me also because I thought we were going to run into the walls. I thought 20,000 Leagues was the coolest thing I had ever seen! Of course, IASW, Peter Pan, and the race cars.

We still have the old tickets too.

Thanks for this post to make me remember!:mickey:

ransam
05-14-2009, 09:22 AM
the summer of 1977 was the first year my family ever went to Disneyworld.
I remember my mom and dad telling us that we were going to spend the weekend at a hotel out by the airport in Kansas city, our hometown, just to get away for a while...they told my sister and I how much fun it was going to be just to spend the weekend swimming at the hotel pool, room service, maybe go the airport to see planes come in, eat at a fancy resturant, etc....
My grandma was going with us, so we were excited to spend time w/ her.
On the way to the hotel, my mom decided it be fun to start our trip by going to the airport and watching planes come in..
I'm not sure why, but for a 13 year old boy, that sounded exciting. Looking back, not so much. But when we got to the airport my dad gave my sister and I an evelope and in side the envelope was a letter from his boss and a $20 bill. The letter just said that he heard we were going to Disneyworld, and he wanted us to have some money that our parents had no control over...that's how our parents told us they were surprising us and taking us to Disneyworld. From that moment on, ever year our parents would surprise us and take us to Disneyworld..
another funny t hing i remember...when we got to Orlando, we couldnt' find a place to eat, so my dad stopped at a Steak and Shake and we ate there.........It was the most awesome meal i have ever had. and to this day, 30+ years, every time i go on vacation anywhere, i find a steak and shake and have my first meal there..
wow...great memories.

Gooftroop5
05-14-2009, 09:27 AM
I was there in 76 but I don't remember much of it. I remember small world vaguely most of my memories are from my parents. I was only 2 1/2 yo. It was my 2nd trip i was 6months on my 1st trip.

My parents said it was great & other then pictures I don't think they saved anything.

divinedi
05-14-2009, 09:44 AM
I was there in June of 1978, with my first of two husbands :blush:, on our honeymoon. Mainly remember it being soooooo hot, and for some reason Space Mountain. I don't like rollercoasters but he talked me into going on it, twice no less, and I remember that you basically sat on the floor of the 'rocket', one in front of the other. It felt strange, but I did, sortof, like the ride, but I've never been on it since. LONG time ago!

Mickey91
05-14-2009, 09:48 AM
I was there sometime in '77 when I was 6. Don't remember any details just the overall feeling of magic! :mickey: I went three times as a child and fell in love with Magic Kingdom!

MNNHFLTX
05-14-2009, 11:27 AM
I was there on New Year's Day in 1976. KC and the Sunshine Band had played at the Magic Kingdom on New Year's Eve the night before and I was bugged I didn't get to see them! My sister and I (17 and 15 years old, respectively) went on Space Mountain together; it had just opened the year before and was considered quite scary at the time, so we couldn't get our parents to go on it with us. 20,000 Leagues was closed the day we went, even back then (I have never been on that ride!) I remember watching the Country Bear Jamboree, riding Mr. Toad and "If You Had Wings", and eating at the restaurant in the Contemporary Resort. Unfortunately my dad's budget at the time did not include a stay at either of the existing Disney World resorts at that time (the Polynesian and the Contemporary), so we stayed at a hotel in Cleremont and drove in for the day.

I still have my ticket book with one E ticket left in it. :mickey:

cproller
05-14-2009, 01:05 PM
I was there in the summer of 77. Back then the "World" was just the MK. Since we were driving all the way down from Long Island my parents were detemined to make the most of it. We stayed at the Days Inn and we also went to Sea World, The Citrus Tower and something that had to do with the circus (don't really remember what it was called). I remember I was scared to death of the GIANT characters. 20,000 leagues was my favorite ride. Great memories.

keacc
05-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Eating a buffet diner at the Contemporary for $5.

artyboy
05-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Late winter/early spring of '76:

I won a trip to WDW by selling newspaper subscriptions (25!!!)

I got to go to Florida for a week and spend 2 days at MK at the age of 12, with very little adult supervision...something that would never happen nowadays!

I remember everything...still have some tickets, and a whole lot of polaroid photos!

I believe that that trip is what started the Disney obsession!

Scott C
05-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Well, close -- I was there in 75 and 78. Nobody has mentioned the long lines 2 hours for an E Ticket was nothing I remember 3-4 hr waits

Thanks
Scott C

MNNHFLTX
05-14-2009, 03:15 PM
We stayed at the Days Inn and we also went to Sea World, The Citrus Tower and something that had to do with the circus (don't really remember what it was called).That was Circus World. I went there once (after I moved to Florida years later) before it became Boardwalk and Baseball (also defunct). Never liked it though--too many clowns roaming around! :clown:

BluewaterBrad
05-14-2009, 03:19 PM
My parents took my sister and i for our second trip in 77. I believe we stayed at the Treehouse villas or it could have been the Fairway villas.(have to ask mom next phone call). I was probably in the 4th grade. I remember acting up so bad the last night of the trip that my parents swore to never take us to Disney again!!:mickey:

wire0monkey
05-14-2009, 04:16 PM
I was there, and in a cast.

playdead88
05-14-2009, 06:05 PM
i was there in july of 76 - i was only 18 months old but my parents have great 8mm silent video of magic kingdom and wow has it changed yet stayed the same - some things look exactly as they do today and others are so different :mickey:

mainemajor
05-14-2009, 09:33 PM
November 77 - Won a 3 day trip to DW. Stayed at Royal Plaza Hotel. At that time there were only 3 or 4 hotels in Lake Buena Vista. We walked to Downtown Disney - back then the road was not really busy. I would not even think about wlking there now.
Favorite ride was Space Mt and the Main St. vehicles. Also loved the Main St theater and magic shop (boy do I miss that)

nicster
05-14-2009, 09:54 PM
I remember it well. Space Mountain was new to us. DH came off the ride with bent glasses because it was not safe to wear them on the ride, so he put them in his pants pocket. ;)I laughed & laughed when he came off the ride with his bent glasses & a kina dazed wild eyed look on his face! I also remember watching a storm on the horizen coming in. We got on the Monorail, went to the Top of The World, had a drink, watched the storm rain on half of the park, then move off just in time for us to continue our adventures!

LarryBoy
05-15-2009, 10:51 AM
We went in what I think was '76. I was 6 so I don't remember a whole lot. I do remember marching with a fife and drum core in a parade. They gave me a copy of the Declaration of Independence and a special pin. I still have that pin.

indytraveler
05-15-2009, 11:06 AM
That was Circus World. I went there once (after I moved to Florida years later) before it became Boardwalk and Baseball (also defunct). Never liked it though--too many clowns roaming around! :clown:

Good 'ol Circus World.

1976 was a year we went to the World. My grandparents lived in Kissimee so we visited quite often. I always remember the night before we would go. My parents making my brothers and I go to bed early so we can beat the traffic. Never failed we were ready at 7 but the grownups were always LATE!! Wating to get to the Main Gate to pay for parking and listening to the am car radio for reports on the Kingdom always got us in the mood. Lots of memories and fun times with my family. That's why I take my family now so they can have some of the same type of memories as I do.

Thanks for helping me remember the olden days. :mickey:

Live4WDW
05-15-2009, 11:08 AM
:D What a great topic!! !976 for me, I remember Mr Toads Wild ride, Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean (the Slide down when you first go in the boat seemed longer then) Haunted mansion, The blue mickey mouse ears balloon, All time fave Penny arcade, The cable cars to Fantasy land, The thunder shower, we went into the Hall of presidents to get out of the rain. Even today when we go, wife and I, I still feel just like I did all those years ago. Best thing going!! I have always dreamed about staying at the contemporary resort, and now, 32 years later, this Dec My wife and I am staying there for 6 nights. Yowsa, it's a beautiful day.:mickey:

drummerboy
05-15-2009, 11:11 AM
DW married in August of '76 but took our honeymoon in late September, at WDW. We stayed at FW in a backpacking tent. We splurged on the Hoop-de-doo for a whopping $12.50 each (still have the ticket stubs).

At that time of year, the lines weren't too bad, so we got to do everything in MK (the only park then) at least once. At that time, you had to buy individual ride tickets (A-E tickets). I've still got the ticket books with a couple of A tickets left in them. "If You Had Wings" was a free ride, so we did it a couple of times. I remember how much I liked going through that one.

One the day we were to leave, we took the campground train (no longer there) down to River Country. That was our first experience with any kind of water park, so it was great. In fact, the whole trip was a brand new experience in many ways and we've got a lot of good memories.

Tigerinvestigator
05-15-2009, 01:27 PM
I was only 3/4 when we were there in 76 and 77 but I remember bits and pieces. I remember paper straws, the fruit juices in cups shaped like the fruit (grapes, apple, etc), and most of all those sea green and blue tile floors at the Polynesian! I have some pics of me marching in the bicentenial parade as well.:thumbsup:

RBrooksC
05-15-2009, 03:26 PM
I was there October of 1977. I was six years old and it was my first time there. We stayed at the old Golf Resort. We swam at the Poly pool and also in Seven Seas Lagoon. There used to be a platform away from shore to which one could swim.

I have photos from the top of the CR that shows the monorail line and where the GF is located now. It is strange to see nothing there.

Also, there was lot of Three Little Pigs during the parades.

ThanxForNoticin
05-15-2009, 03:43 PM
One the day we were to leave, we took the campground train (no longer there) down to River Country. That was our first experience with any kind of water park, so it was great. In fact, the whole trip was a brand new experience in many ways and we've got a lot of good memories.

Loved that FW train! That comes up every now and then.