PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Help

Jeri Lynn
05-11-2009, 05:24 PM
My computer crashed twice the last week. My son had all his itunes on my computer.

My computer if fine now, however, all the itunes/songs were deleted from my computer.

He has all his songs on his ipod, but he is afraid if he plugs his ipod into my computer the songs will all be deleted...

Any ipod experts that could advise me how to handle this??

Thanks!!

DisneyPrincess21
05-11-2009, 05:43 PM
My computer crashed twice the last week. My son had all his itunes on my computer.

My computer if fine now, however, all the itunes/songs were deleted from my computer.

He has all his songs on his ipod, but he is afraid if he plugs his ipod into my computer the songs will all be deleted...

Any ipod experts that could advise me how to handle this??

Thanks!!
I unfortuantely know your pain, This has happened to me before.
Yes your son is correct, If he plugs his ipod into your new hardrive it will erase his ipod.
however there are free programs you can download off of the internet that will copy the contents on his ipod before you put itunes on the computer again and before he plugs his ipod up to the computer. the program I used was called "CopyPod" and it was a trial version where you could download 100 songs and it would save them to a file you could transfer over to your itunes. But after your 100 songs it won't let you save any more, So if you keep track of which songs you have saved you can just close out the program and restart it and download the next 100 songs, Keep doing this until you get all his song's saved. If you need any other help let me know, Good luck!

Wayne
05-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Jeri Lynn,
I haven't used the program that DisneyPrincess21 suggests, so I have no comment about the product. However, the way that she describes using the product is a violation of the usage agreement for the software since you are required to purchase an activation code for downloads exceeding the 100 song limit.

NotaGeek
05-11-2009, 06:17 PM
If you are the registered owner of the iPod when you plug it into iTunes it will recognize your account and I believe a dialog box comes up and will allow you to move/copy the music back to your iTunes. If you have purchased it from iTunes directly it's your music, you own it, check it out in iTunes help ...

Because of this exact situation I signed up for Mozy.com and I have a digital copy of all my music kept safe...

I believe you can also open your iPhone as an external drive on your computer and copy the music manually ... I did that with the photos on my iPhone and it worked.

Good luck!

Jeri Lynn
05-11-2009, 06:21 PM
thank you for your replies.

Mike, my son is the registered owner of his ipod. Itunes was wiped off my computer when it crashed. It was strange, the first time it crashed all of his songs (about 3,000) of them were still there, but the second time it crashed and I used my system recovery system, all his songs were lost, along with all my documents and pictures.

I'm scared to death that if he plugs the ipod in it will erase the songs without giving him a warning...then he would kill me!!!!!

NotaGeek
05-11-2009, 06:25 PM
thank you for your replies.

Mike, my son is the registered owner of his ipod. Itunes was wiped off my computer when it crashed. It was strange, the first time it crashed all of his songs (about 3,000) of them were still there, but the second time it crashed and I used my system recovery system, all his songs were lost, along with all my documents and pictures.

I'm scared to death that if he plugs the ipod in it will erase the songs without giving him a warning...then he would kill me!!!!!
You can set your iTunes to NOT auto-sync (which I also did, just to be sure I was in control of the darn thing) ... I honestly think you can get your music back ... sign into your account and look at your purchased music. Hopefully Mufasa will see this thread, he's kind of a genius with this stuff.

BTW, you can also get an external drive for about $50 and keep your music/photos/files there ... I keep NOTHING on my PC, that way I have it off the computer just in case of a crash.

Jeff
05-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Don't panic, this can be done.

I'm not expert enough to know how. I got a new computer and had to move my all of my music from my Ipod to the new computer. There was a way to use the Ipod as an external drive and move your stuff.

It was 2 yrs ago now so I don't remember how I did it but I know it can be done. I did a google search then and printed off the directions on how to do it. As others said, I know it involved chaning the settings to sync manually.

By the way, I also now store my music on an external drive as a backup.

Good luck.

DisneyPrincess21
05-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Jeri Lynn,
I haven't used the program that DisneyPrincess21 suggests, so I have no comment about the product. However, the way that she describes using the product is a violation of the usage agreement for the software since you are required to purchase an activation code for downloads exceeding the 100 song limit.

Actually it's not a violation, The trial version will only let you dowload 100 songs per time, Because they are hoping that you won't want to go through with the hassel of keeping track and having to download them only 100 at a time, So they are hoping you will just purchase the product.
It doesn't require you to purchase an activation code if you want to dowload past 100, it just requires that you only do 100 at a time, if you chose to only use the trial verison. Now this was several years ago I had to use the product so if they have made an update and changed the restrictions, You would have to check with them on that :thumbsup:

Dznygrl79
05-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Okay I used to work at an apple store and you would be surprised how many times this happens. You have a few options (if you have not fixed it already) the first one is before you do anything call 1-800 my apple and they will trasfer you to itunes and if the songs where purchased they can give you a credit to redownload the songs, the other "unoffcial" way is to google a site called i res q it "rips' the music and video off your ipod back onto your computer, I don't know how legal it is but I know it works. Hope you save everything!

Womble
05-28-2009, 12:45 PM
By the way, I also now store my music on an external drive as a backup.
Good luck.

I would recommend this to everyone!

If you only have music downloaded from iTunes it is not such a problem as you can re-download.
The problem is when you have ripped your CD collection to i-tunes, then lose it!
Yes it happened to me and I did not have even 10% of the music on my I-pod!:(

As I was told at computer lessons I had recently "back-up, Back-up, BACK-UP! Better safe than sorry!"

magicofdisney
05-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Once you download iTunes and connect the iPod, you click on File and tell it to Transfer Purchases from iPod. It will never sync automatically if it detects a new iPod connected to your computer which is what should happen in this case.

Unfortunately, it will not automatically download any music ripped from CDs. I believe you will have the option to turn the iPod into a hard drive in which case you can download the other music. I've gone through many PCs since I first began with the iPods and transferring music is not my favorite past time.

You'll also need to Authorize Computer under the Store option, but I'm not sure if that require you to sync or not.

Most of my help came from Apple's website, but there is plent of help out there when you google the problem. Good luck with everything.