PDA

View Full Version : Washington, DC -museums for younger kids?

minnie-mouse
05-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Does anyone know if any of the museums in DC are good for younger children (3 and 6 year olds)?

Mickey'sGirl
05-11-2009, 02:09 PM
We took our oldest son when he had just turned 2. We visited ALL of the Smithsonian museums, and he LOVED them -- especially the air and space one. I don't think you can go wrong at museums with children. They are interactive and interesting, and our kids have always done well at them. There is also the Washington Zoo -- it's a nice walk about too! :thumbsup:

GAN
05-11-2009, 04:11 PM
That's pretty young.. but I would think that the Air & Space Museum, Natural History Museum, and the American History Museum(which just re-opened fairly recently) would be of some interest to them. There is also a Smithsonian Discovery Theater(do an internet search) which would probably be great for their age. The National Archives is also a great place to visit, although most of it may be a little too advanced -but it's a great place to start and would be very interesting for you if you haven't been.

Marci
05-11-2009, 04:46 PM
The aquarium in DC is awesome too. Small but they have great fish. Its right off the mall.

My son (3) loves the air and space museum and the Natural History.

Hope this helps.

DisneyDog
05-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Tara, I have a book at home that is about Washington with kids. I'm sure you could easily find something like that since you live so close by. It tells about each museum and if it would be good for certain age groups.

We've taken Max a few times, but he hasn't been interested in any of it yet. Last time we went to the air and space museum and the zoo. We love the air and space museum, but the zoo wasn't to our liking. I do not like the design, as it does not loop around completely. Once you get to the end, you have to turn around and go all the way back the way you came. It was exhausting and much of it was up hill.

I'm thinking that now that Max is 6, and he has seen a few shuttle launches on tv and even seen Apollo 13, he might now be interested inthe air and space museum. I'm hoping to go back sometime in the next year.

The Natural History museum is kind of cool too, if they like looking at animals.

minnie-mouse
05-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks everyone. Yes, we do the Natl zoo several times a year. We loves it, but agree, a lot of walking. Was hoping to look for something new and different. We will try your suggestions. Many thanks!

Aggie97
05-20-2009, 10:17 PM
When my (significantly) younger sister was in preschool and early elementary school, she absolutely loved the dinosaurs and animals at the Natural History Museum, as well as the National Zoo. She also really enjoyed the National Aquarium in Baltimore. When she was a few years older, the Maryland Science Center in Baltimore was another favorite.

My nephew visited us in DC when he was four, and he was so-so on the Air and Space Museum but loved the National Aquarium and the USS Constellation in Baltimore.

And just riding the Metro was always a huge hit with both kids! :)

tys_mommy
05-21-2009, 08:35 AM
The aquarium in DC is awesome too. Small but they have great fish. Its right off the mall.

My son (3) loves the air and space museum and the Natural History.

Hope this helps.

I went to the aquarium in DC about 4 years ago and was very disappointed - very not worth the time or money it cost to visit - maybe they've updated recently. All the Smithsonian museums have always been hits with my kids. And the Zoo too.

DisneyDog
05-21-2009, 10:53 AM
I agree about the Metro. That is always the hit of the trip for my DS. Riding a train is not a normal occurrance for him, and getting to go underground...well, it's almost as good as WDW for him. LOL.

estein80
05-31-2009, 12:56 PM
My sister in law and I were just talking about possibly doing a family trip in DC and I was looking for things for the younger ones (they'll be 2,3,5 when we go) to do. I found this site. It might help you out.

http://family.go.com/travel/vacation...n-default=true

Kairi_7378
06-09-2009, 11:33 PM
You can't go wrong with Air and Space or Natural History! American History is great as well. I'd avoid the American Indian one (essentially empty.) We just took our son on his 7 month b day and he loved it.

thrillme
06-10-2009, 08:04 AM
For that young...I vote for the Natural History...You can't go wrong with Dinosaurs, Animals and the absolutely awesome ROCK and gemstone room....(it was funny my DS and I originally thought we were not going to be interested in the rock and gemstone room as much as the dinosaurs...but guess where we spent most of the time...:thumbsup:

Even the YOUNGEST will love the gems and rocks...dinosaurs go without saying.