PDA

View Full Version : Motions Sickness Medicine

Just-Keep-Swimming
05-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Do you think some medicine would help for motion sickness on rides or should you just avoid the ride all together?:ill::ack:

g8rgirl29
05-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Talk to your MD about what they think would be the best med. I know they sometimes recommend those bracelets that apply pressure to a specific pressure point on the wrist. Best of Luck to you in your search, I hope you find something that will work!!

disneylynn
05-11-2009, 11:48 AM
I take a non drowsy dramamine every day in the morning on my trips to disney and have no problems. But you should check with your doctor

laprana
05-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Talk to your MD about what they think would be the best med. I know they sometimes recommend those bracelets that apply pressure to a specific pressure point on the wrist. Best of Luck to you in your search, I hope you find something that will work!!

:ditto: My mom and sister both get motion sick pretty easily. They wear these bands on a lot of rides that they would otherwise have trouble with, and they're just fine! You can get them at just about any store like Wal-Mart, Target, or Walgreens. :thumbsup:

GrumpyFan
05-11-2009, 01:12 PM
While you probably won't find it at Disney, there is also a Ginger gum you can get (probably) at your drug store or Amazon, that is good for nausea/motion sickness also.

harlowandthemermaid
05-11-2009, 01:30 PM
There is also a medicine called Meclazine that you can take for motion sickness, I think it balances out the inner ear, it may also help. I would say use your best judgement, some of the tamer thrill rides will probably be okay but I don't know about things like Mission Space or Rock N Roller Coaster.

Mousemates
05-11-2009, 02:02 PM
The ginger gum works for many people...for my wife just sucking on a piece of hard candy (usually a jolley rancher) is enough to do the trick.

Frog
05-11-2009, 03:20 PM
I want a success story... :)
Can anyone say they got sick on such and such, then tried so and so, and by golly it worked?
Please tell me something worked!!!

CAS
05-11-2009, 03:42 PM
I think if a ride is sufficient enough to cause vommitting in a person, then few options beyond a prescription will get rid of all symptoms if said person attempts the same ride again.

Dramamine is probably the most widely used OTC medication for motion sickness. I get motion sick on spinning rides, but also somewhat uneasy on things that go backwards. If I take a 24 hr Dramamine in the morning then the backwards rides no longer affect me, however the spinners still give me some of the discomfort.

In short, OTC meds and non-prescription remedies will help but not completely cure those who are prone to extreme motion sickness.

Frog
05-11-2009, 05:51 PM
I did not realize there was a perscription med available...
Wonder if it would knock you out??? No fun to sleep through the parks!!
Everst got me a little and kept me feeling bad the rest of the morning... :secret: I did not get sick until we rode the bus and I had to stand the whole way to our next park that afternoon :ill: but I loved the coaster, and want to do it again! Plus I was worried about even trying rrc cause I did not want to drag the fam down with having to put up with me after :blush:

Cinderella's mom
05-11-2009, 06:55 PM
I take the Meclizine 25mg. It is a rx, but doesn't cause drowsiness in me. Although I can take 2 Benedryl and will not even be the least bit sleepy! I take 2 benedryl EVERY night for allergies, so have built up a tolerance for it! So please don't base your results on me!!! The rx says it may cause drowsiness.

forever a child
05-11-2009, 07:31 PM
I want a success story... :)
Can anyone say they got sick on such and such, then tried so and so, and by golly it worked?
Please tell me something worked!!!

I with you!:blush:

Actually Just-Keep-Swimming is my dd and she is now telling me all the rides I have to go on with her this time at WDW. She figures if she can tough out long course swimming for the summer, than she can tough out some of these more adventurous rides that she has never done before...the problem is she's trying to get me to do them too!:medic:

debandbub
05-12-2009, 07:19 AM
I have an inner/middle ear issue that makes me VERY prone to motion sickness and vertigo. I am also a ride junkie. My dr gives me a prescription for Scopalimine (sp?). It's a patch you wear behind your ear. I use that, ginger ale and the sea sickness bands...I was able to ride everything, including MS Orange! It may make you tired, but you can push through! If it makes me too tired (or gives me a headache like it did once), I'll take it off for a while and take a dramamine the next day instead, still using the bands and ginger ale. I also find that chewing sugar free peppermint gum helps settle my tummy if I feel :sick:. I hope this helps!

Ooops- forgot to add that I even ride TEACUPS the first day on the patch (it is my SO's FAVORITE, so I always do it once with her). I get a little woozy, but it passes quick enough. I would NEVER be able to do it without that. Good Luck!!

Frog
05-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Thats good stuff right there...
thanks!!

playdead88
05-12-2009, 03:14 PM
ask your doc for scopolamine patches - they go behind your ear every 3 days - we rx them to patients going on cruises and when i worked at the hospital all my patients who had ear surgery came to the floor with one behind their ear - wont make ya tired and works like a charm :cloud9:

JRocker
05-12-2009, 05:15 PM
My wife gets a bit woozy on some rides, so she started taking the Dramamine. It worked out great for her, but even the non-drowsy can put her out. She takes less than half a pill to avoid the drowsiness and it still works great for her.

forever a child
05-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks DD for posting this question, I am gonna try one of the rx posted. Thanks!:mickey:

Lakin
05-12-2009, 09:51 PM
My mom takes Dramamine, and she says it works for her.

Just-Keep-Swimming
05-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Just doing my job DM:mickey:

Innerchld714
05-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Mythbuster discovered that Ginger pills work as well as perscription motion sickness medicine (they tested it against numerous over-the-counter medication, natural remedies, a placebo, and perscription meds) and also didn't cause any "loopiness" like some perscription medications. It might be something worth keeping on hand just in case you have any side effects from the perscription medicine. :thumbsup:

pixiesmimi
05-15-2009, 09:56 PM
I used Dramamine the last time we went because I don't ride roller coasters normally. It worked. I don't take the 24 hour stuff any more though. It is time released and just when we are having fun, it kicks in again and makes me very sleepy. So now I use only the non-drowsy formula. Helped with the bus rides too. Almost fell asleep driving one time after taking that for a plane flight and had forgotten I had taken it. Won't do that again.

dmosher
05-16-2009, 12:42 AM
Mythbuster discovered that Ginger pills work as well as perscription motion sickness medicine (they tested it against numerous over-the-counter medication, natural remedies, a placebo, and perscription meds) and also didn't cause any "loopiness" like some perscription medications. It might be something worth keeping on hand just in case you have any side effects from the perscription medicine. :thumbsup:

I agree. I have taken pretty much everything from, gum to bands to prescriptions and the ONLY thing that always worked was Ginger Drops/Chews. That being said, in a pinch I have even hit a market and chewed on raw ginger which also worked. I have teken ginger for skydiving, acrobatic planing, helicopter flying, sailing and cruising and mountain car racing and it always works.
:pipes:
D

Goofy Texan
05-16-2009, 01:00 PM
I vote for the Bands! I can't go on spinning rides without them.

Last summer at another (non-disney) park I wore them on a tea cup-like ride piloted by two teenagers. We went extremely fast. I just held on to the back of the cup in such a way that I could press down on the little bead on the inside of the bands. It worked great.

I like when I can find a chemical-free solution to a medical problem. :thumbsup:

But you don't have to take our word on it. Motion sickness is motion sickness - regardless if you catch it on a theme-park ride or just spinning in an office chair. I suggest you try as many solutions as you can and use a spinning chair as the testor until you find what works best for you.