PDA

View Full Version : New Puppy

tinkgirl07
05-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Hi everyone, I have been gone for a really long time off Intercot but I'm back! Lots of changes! Graduations, breakups, new jobs, a dream disney trip with my family, etc. I am now living on my own in an apartment and to celebrate my new life got a new puppy! He is 3 months old and a Morkie (Maltese and Yorkie mix). His name is Captain Jack Sparrow the Puppy, orJack for short! I'm a first time puppy mommy (in fact I've never had a dog or any pets in my whole life!!) and I just wanted to introduct Jack to Intercot (he loves Disney almost at much as his mommy, but doesn't understand why he can't visit his pirate buddies at PotC cause he's a puppy when they let Pluto in!)

Not 100% sure if I can post this link, but here is the link to pics of him (sorry if this is not allowed):

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2288112&id=22403393&l=180e0b3d28

Enjoy! And sooooo glad to be back on Intercot :cloud9:

SBETigg
05-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Congratulations, Melissa! What a lot of fun, wonderful changes in your life. Jack is so adorable!

Marilyn Michetti
05-11-2009, 11:07 AM
He's just as cute as he can be. Congratulations:puppy:

Madame Leona
05-11-2009, 12:17 PM
He's beautiful. Congratulations.

laprana
05-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Oh my gosh, he's so adorable! Congrats on your new life with Jack! And :welcome: back to Intercot!

RedSoxFan
05-11-2009, 02:37 PM
He's Adorable......:cloud9:

Disney Doll
05-12-2009, 03:37 PM
So cute!! I love that he's kind of scruffy just like the real Jack.

MNNHFLTX
05-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Jack is adorable! :dog:

Congratulations on all the positive changes in your life. :thumbsup:

mrsgaribaldi
05-12-2009, 05:16 PM
:puppy:Congratulations!!! He's adorable

RenDuran
05-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Jack is really cute! And I see you are crate training, which a great way to housebreak a pup and keep him out of trouble! Have fun!

tinkgirl07
05-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Oh yes! I had to crate train...he is in there during the day when I'm at work. I'm fortunate enough to go home on my lunch break and spend about 35 minutes with him, taking him out and sometimes a short walk. He is only 3 1/2 months old so the potty training is a little iffy still, I'm hoping in another month he'll be 100%! But this is my first dog ever so I'm not sure the normal time line for this type of stuff.

DisneyPrincess21
05-14-2009, 12:37 AM
and to celebrate my new life got a new puppy! He is 3 months old and a Morkie (Maltese and Yorkie mix). His name is Captain Jack Sparrow the Puppy, orJack for short! I'm a first time puppy mommy (in fact I've never had a dog or any pets in my whole life!!):

He is sooo sweet! I love the faux-hawk picture. Too cute! Puppies bring such joy to your life.

My little baby girl (bichon) will be 1yrold in june. She was the best thing to ever happen to me. I got her exactly 1 month before my beloved poodle that I got when I was 6 died :( It was a very hard time, but having my precious little Naomi made it all better. When she was 6 weeks old some lady just gave her to me for free and only asked that I give her a good home. (Her brother had given it to her 2yr old son as a gift, and she didn't have the time to take care of her)
Her loss is my gain because she is the most loving and smart dog you could ever meet.

Enjoy your puppy and take lots of picture's while he is cute and little. And don't give up on the crate training it is the best thing for them.

My dog is now trained to go up to my side door and ring a little bell whenever she needs to use the bathroom, it is hysterical people think it is the funniest thing when they hear/see her do it.
Good Luck! :puppy:

tinkgirl07
05-14-2009, 08:39 AM
First, sorry for your loss, but things like this really make you remember that everything happens for a reason, and that the biggest blessings sometimes come in the smallest packages!

My dog is now trained to go up to my side door and ring a little bell whenever she needs to use the bathroom, it is hysterical people think it is the funniest thing when they hear/see her do it.

How did you do this? I was thinking about trying to do something like this as well but wasn't sure where to start! Do you have a website or book that guided you how to do this? I live in an apartment on the 3rd floor and have a 5'x10' balcony that Jack goes out on with a sliding door, so this is something that would be super convienent for me. Any help would be appreciated, feel free to PM me or I can send you my email address if that would be easier! Thanks so much (Jack thanks you too).

RenDuran
05-14-2009, 11:03 AM

Holy cow! If I had trained my dog, Hazel, to do this, she would be ringing the bell all day long! I feel like a doorman already!

DisneyPrincess21
05-14-2009, 03:54 PM
First, sorry for your loss, but things like this really make you remember that everything happens for a reason, and that the biggest blessings sometimes come in the smallest packages!

Thank you. It's will be 9 months next friday, some day's it feels like it has been years, and some days it feels like it just happened. People who don't have dog's don't realize that they really do become a family memeber. It was hard on my whole family when Zeke died. We had to unfortunately put him to sleep because he had problems with his eyes, and got an ulceration on his eye, it was so painful for him the dr said it was best just to put him to sleep. My father even openly weeped several several times even in the vet's office, And he isn't a crying type of guy. We had Zeke for almost 17 years. That's a long time to spend with an animal and then one day you don't have them anymore. Even now it still makes me cry some days. :( The only thing I am glad of, is atleast I got to spend his last hours holding him and loving on him. He even cuddled up on me the last time I held him, And he hadn't been able to do that in a while because he was so sick (he had dementa and cataracs). I think he sensed it was his last time with me. Okay now I am crying so I am going to move on to a happier note.

Holy cow! If I had trained my dog, Hazel, to do this, she would be ringing the bell all day long! I feel like a doorman already!

HAHA. Well I would personally rather feel like a doorman then a maid because I would have to keep cleaning up accidents all day :secret:

How did you do this? I was thinking about trying to do something like this as well but wasn't sure where to start! Do you have a website or book that guided you how to do this? I live in an apartment on the 3rd floor and have a 5'x10' balcony that Jack goes out on with a sliding door, so this is something that would be super convienent for me. Any help would be appreciated, feel free to PM me or I can send you my email address if that would be easier! Thanks so much (Jack thanks you too).

We just came up with the idea one day, And I found the little bells (at bed, bath, and beyond) like the old fashion stores use to put on their doors to ring whenever you open the door. Well I used a screwdrive to put in a little hook into the door and then took a paper clip and looped it through the bell. And then hung the bell (from the paper clip) off the hook. because of the hook it allows it to be free of the door so you can hear it ring.
When we first started to teach her to ring the bell, We would ring it ourselves any time we said "Do you have to go outside, And go potty?" "Ring the bell" then right before we opened the door we would ring it again. After a few times she picked up on it really quickly. It's funny because I can be off in another part of the house, And i'll hear the bell ring and I'll know, Naomi need's out. Even after she tells me, whenever I go to let her out I tell her she has to ring the bell again. (which she does right away) She get's excited when she does it because she thinks it's a game.

You just have to be consitent with Captain Jack :D (Love that name) And everytime you take him out or ask him if he needs to go out, Just ring the bell. And tell him he has to "ring the bell if he needs to go potty" Make sure you praise him when he does it each time. After while he will realize that when the bell rings he get's to go outside.
Good luck! let me know how it goes!

TennesseeTink
05-15-2009, 03:56 PM
That is just the smartest thing ever! We have a new puppy too so I'm going to have to start this right away.

And, Melissa, Jack is a precious little thing!! Too cute!