PDA

View Full Version : Convince DH to stay on property? HELP?

vester
05-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Ok - honestly its to convince myself too. I just read the LONG post about the reasons to stay on property, but here's the thing....

I cant get a two room SUITE at Marriott Grande Vista for 7 nights for 675.

My parents are coming for part of the trip. For them to have their own room would be cost prohibitive at Disney, and I dont know of any room that is a suite (fridge, etc.) that isnt exhorbantly priced.

Help. I want to feel the magic of being onsite, but frankly having 4 adults and a toddler in one room sounds like the magic is gone...haha!

Any suggestions? Is there something I'm missing?

I like the idea of transportation, but honestly, it was only 30 min (45 at most) door to door from Magic Kingdom to Grand Vista last time, so I"m just cuirous...

Thoughts??....

It will be my parents first time at DW....

Vester

vicster
05-11-2009, 09:32 AM
When are you going? If you're going during the free dining period it will help offset cost of staying on Disney property. They are still offering rooms discounts also. I will say I'll never stay off property as you do lose some of the magic. Not to mention I wouldn't feel like driving 30 - 45 mins. when I leave the parks.

SBETigg
05-11-2009, 10:12 AM
For us, it's worth the extra cost to stay on property, but I've never had to accommodate a party of that size. If you like the savings and the accommodations at the Marriott Grande Vista, then stick with it. I don't think anyone can argue with the savings.

You could get two rooms at a value or moderate resort. You could look into cabins at Ft. Wilderness. You could just spend the money and stay at a Disney DVC property. But if you've read the thread about the joys of staying on-site and you're still thinking that the savings is worth it off-site, I don't think there's any convincing you. And Marriott Grande Vista gets pretty decent reviews, from what I've seen, so no worries. Enjoy.

ledudes
05-11-2009, 10:40 AM
I definitely would stay in the park. I would not want to drive 30-45 minutes everyday to and then from the park. The gas and the parking fees would add up, along with time lost in the parks. Once you get there you still have to park and take the tram to the gates and everything, I find it takes forever. I also don't think 4 adults and a toddler in a room is a big deal. We are basically only in our room to sleep at night and you are so tired by the end of the day you won't notice who's in the room. We usually have 3 adults, a 5 year old, and a toddler in our room without a problem. The hotels usually have nice sitting areas or the pool and playgrounds, so there are lots of areas to hang out in without feeling cramped in the room. I went in Feb just for a day trip while visiting family, and it just wasn't the same. Not to mention all the other reasons that I'm sure you read in the other post. Stay in the parks, you won't regret it!

Wrigley
05-11-2009, 10:52 AM
I would definately do all that I could to stay on-site. It is soooo worth it. We stayed one time off-site, and all I can say is that we will NEVER stay off-site again. We hated it. It just didn't feel like we were even at Disney-the magic wasn't there. We also love the convenience of Disney transportation-so wonderful. If I'm at Disney, I don't want to bother driving to and from the parks each day. We love that aspect of it. Maybe you could swing 2 rooms at a Value? We really enjoyed our stay at Pop. Hopefully you can get it all figured out!:mickey:

BMan62
05-11-2009, 11:13 AM
What about a Family Suite at All Star? Or connecting rooms at one of the other Value Resorts? Either option would be cheaper than the 2 bedroom Deluxe resort. Still more than Marriott Grande Vista, but then you save on parking ($11/day,) gas, stress of driving to/from parks, AND you get the bonus of EMH at one park (or more if there is both Morning and Evening EMH on any day of your stay) if you are staying 'on property.'

Besides, isn't 24 hour immersion in the magic worth the little extra in price?

ibrowse17
05-11-2009, 11:27 AM
For us, the Disney experience is much more than just the theme parks. It includes the whole picture, and we look forward to our resort as much as anything. The other thing we like is not having to leave Dsiney until it is time to go home. Have a great trip:thumbsup:

MidnTPK
05-11-2009, 11:29 AM
I cant get a two room SUITE at Marriott Grande Vista for 7 nights for 675.
You can also skip the vacation and stay at home FOR FREE!!!!

Ok..end of sarcasm.

But in all seriousness, for many folks its staying on-site or no trip to WDW at all. It's not about how much on-site costs versus off-site....there's always a cheaper option off-site. It's about the type of vacation you want to go on.

Mousemates
05-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Reason #1 - you can park your car and not have to hunt for parking spaces for your entire stay.

Reason #2 - when you you leave the park tired at night, someone else will do the driving to get you home and you will have no "discussions" with your wife about who's fault it was we missed our turn and are in Kissimmee or Orlando instead of your hotel...nor will you ever risk having ot stop and ask for directions.

Reason Three - if you are a late riser, you can sleep in a bit later in the morning, because your already in WDW....and take full advantage of evening extra magic hours.

Reason Four - if you are an early riser you can do morning extra magic hours and ride lots of things before the park gets packed.

Reason five - its not a big hassle to take a break in the afternoon and head back to the room for a refreshing dip in the pool (or a nap while wifey takes the kids for a swim...selling this point will be entirely up to you).:). that way he won't have to worry about coming home so tired from a tirp to WDW that he needs a vacation to recover.

Reason Six - you will have a much greater likelihood of good service and satisfactory accomodations.

Reason Seven - you will be in a semi-closed and relatively secure environment and will have a much lower likelihood of encountering "bad guys" in the parking lots (remember if you stay off property you will be returning to your hotel late at night)

There are of course many other arguement for staying on property...immersion, package delivery to your rooms, etc...but the ones I gave might be good selling points to a dad as they speak to concerns men sometimes have about a trip to WDW. If the money thing is a problem, as some have suggested you might consider a family suite, connecting rooms at a value...or joining AAA just to take advantage of their room discounts (its really the primary reason we have membership) to mitigate the difference in price...but in the end it will cost more to stay on site.

#1donaldfan
05-11-2009, 12:17 PM
.....stay onsite....it's just 4 adults and one child....stay at POR .... they offer rooms with a trundle bed for the child and it's two queens for the adults.....it will save you a bundle staying in one room...it's a moderate, it's such a nice resort, so laid back and quiet....you will feel the magic for sure, there !! ....honestly, how long do you plan on being in the room anyway.....it's only a place to lay your head for the night, and shower....I really don't think you'll be disappointed staying there....!!!:thumbsup:

Hammer
05-11-2009, 12:42 PM
You seem to have weighed your options and if the cost of the sort of on-site accommodations is too high (it sounds like you plan to use the full kitchen facilities), I say stay at the Marriott Grande Vista. From everything I have read, it gets good reviews and Marriot Vacation Club has a solid reputation and is a very secure facility (if I am thinking of the correct Marriot VC). I know people have posted here that the hotel is only a place to shower and sleep, but honestly, that just the way they see it. For me, the amenities of my accommodations really do matter, so I know I would not enjoy lower level accommodations (the values and the moderates with the exception of Coronado Springs). I have spent 30-45 minutes on average using WDW transportation, so it is not a big difference to me (which is why we now always rent a car regardless of where we stay). Even if you rented vacation points for a week stay, it will still cost more than the weeklong stay and renting a car. The only other option I could think where you could stay on property and have the sort of room you want would be the cabins at FW, but you would need to get them at a discount to meet your price point, not to mention if that decor appeals to you. You do miss out on the Extra Magic Hours and free parking, but only YOU know if that is enough of a price savings for you to pay for on- property accommodations.

Regarding the whole “magic” factor. I am of the firm belief that magic is what you make of it. I have had wonderful, magical vacations to Florida that did not involve staying on-site at WDW where I was nothing more than a day visitor. Did not take away magic for me, because I had the proper mindset or in the case of when I was younger, my parents put forth the proper positive outlook. Was it different? Of course, but that is not such a bad thing in my eyes because you gives you other accommodations which you can make comparisons/critiques of WDW accommodations. If you go in with the attitude that you are missing out on something, I can almost guarantee you will not enjoy yourself as much and the rest of your party will sense your displeasure no matter how much you think you hide it.

merlinmagic4
05-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Would you consider a different timeshare resort? We stay at Sheraton Vistana Resort (not Villages) and we are a hop, skip and a jump away from Disney. I would bet money that I am often back at my resort before the buses get back to some of the Disney resorts.

We also travel with extended family and we need the 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen and laundry. I know some people say it's just a place to sleep but with young children you'll definitely need some down time. Four adults and a toddler could get tight. You really won't be there just to sleep.

Definitely consider the value suites or the cabins, though. We just travel on a budget so I can't really make that choice but they could be good ones!

Hammer's right. There's plenty of magic and it's not found only if you stay onsite. Have a GREAT trip!!!!

diz_girl
05-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Is the rate a time-share promotional rate? You might want to check into that first. If so, then expect your entire party to spend at least an entire morning or an entire afternoon hearing a sales pitch. If you don't stay for the pitch, you are charged an extra couple of thousand.

But before you decide, factor in the cost of the car rental, gas, tolls (if any) and parking for your entire stay and add that onto your room rate, since that's your true cost of staying off-property. Then see if you can get two rooms at a Value resort for the same money, or just a little more. Yes, you can get a suite, but those are in-demand and you might get a better deal on two separate rooms.

Also, I think that Disney is doing a 5-2 deal into August, by staying 5 nights and get two nights free. Although I don't know how long that it's in effect. Then there is the aforementioned free dining, which pays for most of your food and makes staying on property your better deal.

JabberJaws
05-11-2009, 02:00 PM
I definitely think it is worth it to stay on property.

If you are looking for an affordable suite, some of the value resorts have suites that might be worth looking into. They are still gonna be pricey, but shouldn't be too bad. And even though they are "value" resorts, they are still WDW resorts so they are still very nice. Plus you get all the perks (free parking, free shuttles, early park entry, etc.) For 6 or 7 days, the free parking alone will save you 60 or 70 bucks ($10/day..at least I think it is still $10, I haven't paid for parking in ages haha).

Mousemates
05-11-2009, 02:14 PM
For 6 or 7 days, the free parking alone will save you 60 or 70 bucks ($10/day..at least I think it is still $10, I haven't paid for parking in ages haha).

We haven't paid to park for a while either, but do occasionally drive to the parks from the resorts (especially if we stay at FWC) and it seems like the parking fee is now $12 instead of $10.

BluewaterBrad
05-11-2009, 03:09 PM
That sounds like a tough decision for you. The other posts are all very valid. We always stay onsite(for at least the last 40 trips). We stay onsite because we both really love the immersion of Disney, we both enjoy :beer::beer: and do not drink and drive so the busses or monorail are our "cabs", and most of the time its just Michelle and I so room size is never an issue (we usually stay at values, but throw in a mod or deluxe once a year also). Those are my reasons to stay onsite, but regardless of where you stay you are still on vacation! You gotta have a great time!!:mickey:

caryrae
05-11-2009, 03:56 PM
It may help to do a pro and con list for staying on-site or staying at Marriott Grande Vista.

Pros for on-site:

1.No need to drive if you want. Save money on rental car.

2. Magical Express, free transportation to and from the Airport and no need to wait for luggage.

3. If you do rent a car you get free parking at the Parks.

4. Extra magic hours at Parks. Get in early or stay later then regular hours.

5. Close to Parks

6. Disney Magic 24/7

7. Purchase at Parks and DTD can be sent to your Resort for free.

8. Some good deals out there with the 4/3 deal and free dining. Or if you have AAA you can save on a room-only reservation.

9. If on-site since there is the free Disney Transportation, if a couple people in your group get tired and want to head back to the Resort they can easily do that while the rest stay in the Park.

and whatever else I am missing from the list.

vester
05-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Thank you everyone for your replies - I think we are staying off property - my mom and dad said they need the elbow room. So we'll stay on prop next time!!!! THANK YOU AGAIN!

TheRustyScupper
05-19-2009, 12:05 PM
1) It is always a toss up to stay on property or not.
2) I say, go where you want and for what you can afford.
3) We do both, and I see only a little difference.

Laughin' place
05-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Seriously consider the cabins at Ft W. There is a bunk room ( single bed and a bunk bed) for you and child, and then the murphy bed for the grandparents. Or, you could take the murphy and a rollaway, and give grandparents the larger, more private room. If you pick a cabin loop near a comfort station, youwont have a line for the cabin bathroom. You also have a full kitchen, an awesome resort, and all the fun of Ft W. We stayed there with a family of 6 ( 4 teen boys) and found the accomodations perfect. There is a stretch of the 2100 loop that is very close to a comfort station. ENJOY:party:

Figment78
05-22-2009, 08:50 PM
You could also look into renting points from a DVC member. Still a bit expensive, but would give you space and kitchen you are looking for. AKV and BLT 1 bedrooms sleep 5.

If you do book Marriott, check the cancellation policy and then keep your eye on the Disney room discount promotions. MAybe you'll get a great deal/offer!

(not sure when you are going)