PDA

View Full Version : Help with my new Chichuahua

pink
05-10-2009, 01:00 PM
My mom suprised the whole family by coming home with a chichuahua Thursday. He's a sweet, 8-month-old boy but we're having a few issues with him. If anyone knows anything about Chichuahua's or has one of their own I could really use your help.

First, he doesn't seem to eat or drink anything. He takes one lick of water, twice a day and eats about 5 pieces of kibble and that's it.

Second, he "annoys" (trying to be family friendly) our two other female dogs, who are 7 (****zue) and 2 (pug). They growl but he doesn't seem to get the hint to back off. He is already fixed but will his urge ever decrease? One of our dogs looks depressed from the new edition to our family.

Third, he seems to go to the bathroom every five minutes, despite not drinking anything! We take him outside every hour, as we're trying to housebreak him but yet he goes outside and then comes inside and does it inside as well.

We love this puppy but we could really use some help! :mickey:

SBETigg
05-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Have you had a vet check him out? I'm not familiar with the breed, but it seems that the lack of appetite and not drinking would raise my concerns, too, and I would take him for a thorough exam, if you haven't yet. If you have, I might still call a vet just to check if the behavior is normal. Then, of course, you'll have to work on training. It might be worth it to consult with a professional trainer on both working on the chihuahua's behavior and integrating him into the family so that your other dogs are happy, too.

I hope it doesn't come to it, but it could be that the new little guy just doesn't fit with your family dynamic and you might have to look into placing him elsewhere as a last resort. I hate to hear that your other dogs are unhappy with the new addition. Best wishes that it works out!

BluewaterBrad
05-10-2009, 04:11 PM
PLEASE!!PLEASE!! Contact your local vet!! You will be happy, but your pup will turn out even better. Please get an appointment right away!! Good Luck!:mickey:

PS What was she thinking??!!?

mixelate
05-10-2009, 09:46 PM
His "friendly" behaviour is likely normal, and he may or may not stop doing it. Sometimes it is just a dominance thing - females also do this :)
And maybe I am a bit harsh, but I would think that unless you fear that your dogs will get really nasty, one of these times they will get fed up with him and let him know with a few harsh words. I am sure that the dog that looks depressed will eventually be fine with him.. dogs are pack animals and eventually they would likely except him :)

As for the not eating thing it would probably be best to get him checked out anyways, regardless if you think it is a problem or not :).

Was he on puppy pee pad things? I hate them, but maybe if you tried those by the door, or outside he might get the hint? my only other suggestion is just keeping trying! Good luck!

DisneyDog
05-11-2009, 10:19 AM
It will take a good several months for everyone to get used to everyone, and for the new dog to get used to how things are in his new home. Definitely take him to the vet to be checked out asap.

For future reference, with dogs, it is best to introduce them on neutral territory before bringing the new dog home. I wouldn't expect your dogs to accept him immediately. These things take time. Do not leave them alone together, unsupervised, for quite some time. I hope that you use crates when you aren't home.

badkitty
05-12-2009, 01:23 AM
Definitely have your vet check out your puppy but when my Chihuahua was little,, he didn't eat much either. I tried every kind of food and topping sold for dogs and nothing seemed to work. I then found a brand he liked and as he got older, he started eating more.

The bathroom behavior sounds like a marking issue. My dog is trained but he will still try to mark paper bags or blankets that make it to the floor. It is very frustrating.