PDA

View Full Version : What have you gotten for a "birthday" at the park?

midgetpepper
05-09-2009, 11:31 PM
We're going to WDW for the first time in July and it's his birthday gift (he will have celebrated it about 2 weeks before). He'll have his "birthday" button on.... and I know he may get some extra perks. I was just curious what anyone's gotten from wearing a "birthday" button? :)

WishingStar2006
05-09-2009, 11:52 PM
He'll get LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of people saying Happy Birthday to him:party:...cast memebers and other vacationers...it's very special. Have him wear his button for the entire vacation, not just on the day. He will probably also get some desserts with candles in them at the TS restaurants (without your asking).

Camping Mom
05-09-2009, 11:57 PM
My husband wore a Happy Birthday badge on his 50th (along with a badge I made saying he WAS 50.) He got told all day long Happy Birthday. He was given a free cupcake and at Chef Mickey's the next morning for breakfast, the badge was still pinned to his shirt and he got a free placemat. He loved all the attention.

Pop Centurion
05-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Besides the multiple "Happy Birthday's" I recieved from CM's here's some of the other things that have happened.

Last year I forgot about my button while taking the boat from DHS to Epcot. The Captain announced that someone was celebrating a birthday and said something to the effect of "raise your hand Joe" I'm sitting there thinking wow, two Joe's on the same boat with the same bday. My girlfriend said he's talking about you dummy :doh::silly: Then he had everyone on the boat sing happy bday.

At Teppan Edo they had me where a paper chefs hat with Happy Birthday written in Japanese and brought me out a piece of Chocolate Ginger Cake with a candle and sang happy bday.

The year before my Niece got a special bday treat from Boma. They brought out a wooden cutting board with a cupcake and candle along with some other small deserts. They decorated the board with candy sprinkles and wrote "Happy Birthday Jade" in chocolate sauce. They sang as well and then gave her a card that said happy bday in different African languages. So not only was it very nice but also educational for her.

Crystal Palace also decorated the table for her with pixie dust and some small decorations & a balloon when she got up to use the restroom. The CM's were rushing to decorate the table before she returned.

So don't be surprised if they do similar or better for him as they seem to really try to make the experience special.

Dulcee
05-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Several years ago my younger sister had the birthday button on :party:, she had just turned 14 or 15 I believe. We did the animation tour at MGM and at the end there was an animator sitting in the room with the pictures/cells from all the recent Disney movies. He was sitting and sketching and answering questions. My sister and I talked to him and after our convo he asked my family to stay behind. We did and chatted some more. During the chat he drew my sister a picture of Stich holding a cupcake with a rocket getting ready to explode out of it. He signed it and handed it to her on our way out.:jaw: He was one of the lead animators on Lilo & Stich.

It was one our most magical :mickey:Disney :mickey:experinces yet. The picture is framed and hanging in my sister's room still.

Enjoy your trip!

forever a child
05-10-2009, 09:48 AM
We have changed our date to WDW so that we can go for DD's 15th Birthday. She is excited and I am hoping that she gets some special extras too to make her B-day special. Great post, great question!:party2:

lilmick
05-10-2009, 05:44 PM
I can't wait to see what they do for our 20th wedding anniversary when we are there in June/July. We'll be sure to wear our buttons every day! :mickey:

CrabbyPatty
05-10-2009, 08:15 PM
When we go to Disney in late August, it will be my daughter's first time (at age 8). Do they do anything to acknowledge a first visit? Thanks!

1DisneyNut
05-10-2009, 09:22 PM
There is nothing official for first visits that I am aware of but they come up with all sorts of magical things for kids if you ask.

MickeyandTink
05-10-2009, 09:48 PM
When we go to Disney in late August, it will be my daughter's first time (at age 8). Do they do anything to acknowledge a first visit? Thanks!

There is a special "1st visit" button you can get at the hotel desk (on-site hotels) or at the parks. Both our kids got one for their first visit. I'm not aware of anything beyond that, but it's a special souvenier for them.

Iteachpc
05-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Last time we visited WDW on my DD's 14th bday. When we came back from the parks on her birthday there was a balloon and card signed by Cinderella on the bed.

I think she also got a free dessert at the Sci-Fi Dinner Theater.

joanna71985
05-11-2009, 03:54 AM
On my birthday in 2007, I was put in VIP seating for the Indiana Jones show. And I ended up getting picked as an extra for the show! That was such an amazing experience. The "casting director" had the whole audience wish me a happy birthday (which was really cool).

Leighler
05-11-2009, 07:42 AM
I got the cupcake at Chef Mickey's, a special dessert at Cali Grill, lots of attention from the CMs and characters as well as a serenade on Main Street from the Dapper Dans Barbershop Quartet when I was just walking along! It was a very magical day! :party:

Gooftroop5
05-11-2009, 08:55 AM
We celebrated 3 birthdays when there the last time. DD's birthday that wasn't at all during our trip (but was a week after we got home) got the most. DH & my birthdays were actually while we were there.

DH & DD both got birthday cards signed by all the characters @ Tusker house. DD got several cupcakes all week long. She got a princess crown at 1900 park fare. She has 3 or 4 birthday card signed by the character @ whichever meal we were at.

I got a lot of extra hugs from all the characters. I even had Genie trying to color me blue. :)

On the boat on the Lagoon @ EPCOT the captain saw DD's button & he had her come to the front of the boat. While I was taking her picture he saw my birthday button & had everyone sing happy birthday again to me. DD got an honorary Captain/Pilot card with her name on it when she got off.

As others have said you get a lot of people CM & other guests wishing you happy birthday everywhere you go. It was fun.

MickeyMousse
05-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Our DS12 received numerous salutations of Happy Birthday from WDW CM's and guests. Almost every TS surprised him with a special dessert and sang to him. He received some stickers from CM's while on line for rides and 2 CM's gave him pins off their lanyards without trading.
The attention actually got to be too much for him so some days he purposely left the pin in the room! But we will be celebrating DS7's bday during our next trip in November, so he is soooo looking forward to it being "his turn"!!

artyboy
05-11-2009, 11:20 AM
I've spent 3 birthdays at WDW, and have always had a blast with the birthday button.

I got a small complimentary cake at Akershus at lunch, which I totally didn't expect. They put balloons and a card in my room at the GF.

I really loved all of the guests and CM's saying "Happy Birthday" to me all day...quite fun.

A CM at a shop in Tommorrowland grabbed a phone and handed it to me...it was Goofy wishing me a happy day...very cool!

LauraF
05-11-2009, 12:57 PM
I go regular during my birthday in the spring and it can vary, based on what else is going on.

I've gotten things like:
free desserts
front row ride on the DTD boat
the waiter getting the whole restaurant to sing me happy birthday :blush:
a signed picture from Stitch

But it's all in good fun.
Just don't go in with super-high expectations, and everything will be special, no matter what happens.

handmaidenofprincesses
05-11-2009, 01:49 PM
I went for my 18th birthday and got sung to in several restuarants... I got a cupcake and a signed card from all of the characters at Crystal Palace, and Tigger and Pooh spent some extra time with me!

One night, during EMH at Epcot, while waiting for Turtle Talk, the CMs got the whole crowd to sing "Happy Birthday" (which was quite a feat at midnight, but they threatened not to let anyone in if they didn't sing)

I also got FPs for Peter Pan from a CM without having to swipe my ticket, and they were for almost immediate use, versus scanning my ticket and having to wait several hours.

My friend celebrated her 18th as well and got a cupcake and "official Princess certificate" from Cindy's.

Giggy
05-11-2009, 03:03 PM
A CM at a shop in Tommorrowland grabbed a phone and handed it to me...it was Goofy wishing me a happy day...very cool!

I got something a bit like that for my 15th birthday. Only we were in City Hall on Main Street USA when Goofy rang me up to say happy birthday.

It was our first day in the parks, my birthday had been just before that on October 20th. Spent the first half of my actual birthday at school, the second half driving to Gatwick Airport (in London, about 3 hours) where we stopped overnight. Then the next day we spent 10 hours on a plane. So i think I was right to celebrate my birthday at Disney.:mickey:

hubbyofadisneyholic
05-12-2009, 08:33 PM
My wife wanted to be @ WDW for her 50th birthday and it turned out to be a riot. Since the birthday button had her name on it we were hearing "Happy Birthday, Kim" all day.

And that evening @ Biergarten after the band sang Happy Birthday our server gave her a card signed by the bandmembers and a gingerbread man cookie. :mickey:

LiloLovesTheKing26
05-12-2009, 10:46 PM
I spent my 30th bday at Epcot!

I got a hat with my name in japanese and some cake at Tepan Edo.

Happy Brithday note written in Arabic in a Morraco giftshop

Mickey Birthday card signed by all the staff and a piece of cake with a candle in Le Cellier

Tons of happy birthdays!!!

*Liz*
05-12-2009, 11:46 PM
Besides a bunch of happy birthdays, I only received a free hot cocoa at the Lunching Pad. But I was working there then so I was only wearing it on my actual birthday, not for a whole week. In August, we'll be wearing the "Just Engaged!" buttons so I'm hoping for goodies then! ;)

MomTo3Tiggers
05-13-2009, 01:13 PM
If you call the desk at your hotel and get a CM who knows about this, you may end up with a balloon and a card in your room.

Totodog
05-13-2009, 02:15 PM
I got something a bit like that for my 15th birthday. Only we were in City Hall on Main Street USA when Goofy rang me up to say happy birthday.

I got the same thing only it was at The American Adventure in World Showcase. The CM directed me to the phone in the lobby and told me I had a call without telling me what it was. Lo and Behold it was Goofy wishing me a Happy Birthday!

magicofdisney
05-13-2009, 02:22 PM
My oldest son has celebrated his birthday 3 times at Disney. He's mostly gotten the button and a "Happy Birthday" from observant CMs and other guests. I'm not complaining. I'm just saying you should be prepared for this as well. He did get a card from Chip and Dale at the hotel because my mom called the front desk and requested it.

KylesMom
05-13-2009, 03:18 PM
We've gone several times during or right around my birthday in June, and I can honestly say that the two most memorable things that have happened are being an "extra" in the Indiana Jones show at DHS and a CM at The Lunching Pad in MK gave me a "Happy Birthday" turkey leg! Most of the time I've just received many well wishes for the day, which was fun.

TeamJonasSister
05-13-2009, 04:05 PM
I'm defiantly getting a birthday pin when I go to Disney. I'm celebrating my 16th birthday at WDW. I can not wait!

Hull-onian
05-13-2009, 07:32 PM
We took Sabrina for her tenth birthday. First of all, she got alot of "Happy Birthday Princess" greetings. She also received a lot of cupcakes with candles in them and a lot of Happy Birthday to you songs. At the Crystal Palace they decorated our table and she got a Birthday card from the fab five. At Cape May Cafe she got a birthday cupcake, the HBS, and a birthday card signed by the fab 5. Then the best thing was at the Festival of the Lion King, she was chosen to do the hand jive. It was great. We had a blast!!!!

*Liz*
05-14-2009, 12:08 AM
That reminds me that I also got a birthday cupcake, a "Happy birthday" tiara, a signed card from the characters, a nice birthday placemat, and confetti sprinkled on the table during dinner at 1900 Park Fare. All this for my 22nd birthday! :D

TheRustyScupper
05-14-2009, 09:18 AM
1) Have your anniversary-birthday-honeymoon-etc noted on the ressie or on ADR's.
2) The CM's have a lot of leeway of things to do or not do for you.
3) It simply is a matter of the CM's initiative and how busy they are that day.
4) It also depends upon how much they like you as a guest.
5) Expect nothing and be pleased with any CM activities.
6) Some of the things a CM can do for free are
. . . decorate table with Mickey confetti
. . . best table location
. . . special personalized menu
. . . autographed birthday cards
. . . balloons
. . . gifts for kid's baby teeth
. . . wine or champagne
. . . appetizers
. . . cake
. . . autographed placemats
. . . wine or fruit basket sent to room
. . . flowers sent to room
. . . room upgrades

NOTE: Anyone can get balloons and an autographed card in the room after check-in. Just ask at the Front Desk or Concierge Desk. Based upon availability and scheduling, they may come sooner or later, but they usually come. Also, baskets-gifts-etc cannot be delivered to the room prior to checkin in order to be in the room when the guest gets to the room.

alex61821
05-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Several years ago my younger sister had the birthday button on :party:, she had just turned 14 or 15 I believe. We did the animation tour at MGM and at the end there was an animator sitting in the room with the pictures/cells from all the recent Disney movies. He was sitting and sketching and answering questions. My sister and I talked to him and after our convo he asked my family to stay behind. We did and chatted some more. During the chat he drew my sister a picture of Stich holding a cupcake with a rocket getting ready to explode out of it. He signed it and handed it to her on our way out.:jaw: He was one of the lead animators on Lilo & Stich.

It was one our most magical :mickey:Disney :mickey:experinces yet. The picture is framed and hanging in my sister's room still.

Enjoy your trip!

Wowsers!!!

midgetpepper
05-14-2009, 08:12 PM
1) Have your anniversary-birthday-honeymoon-etc noted on the ressie or on ADR's.
2) The CM's have a lot of leeway of things to do or not do for you.
3) It simply is a matter of the CM's initiative and how busy they are that day.
4) It also depends upon how much they like you as a guest.
5) Expect nothing and be pleased with any CM activities.
6) Some of the things a CM can do for free are
. . . decorate table with Mickey confetti
. . . best table location
. . . special personalized menu
. . . autographed birthday cards
. . . balloons
. . . gifts for kid's baby teeth
. . . wine or champagne
. . . appetizers
. . . cake
. . . autographed placemats
. . . wine or fruit basket sent to room
. . . flowers sent to room
. . . room upgrades

NOTE: Anyone can get balloons and an autographed card in the room after check-in. Just ask at the Front Desk or Concierge Desk. Based upon availability and scheduling, they may come sooner or later, but they usually come. Also, baskets-gifts-etc cannot be delivered to the room prior to checkin in order to be in the room when the guest gets to the room.

Oh, I'm not expecting anything (sorry, I shoulda just clarified)... I just heard of others getting acknowledged for their b-day and I was curious to hear everyone's stories. :) DS is just excited he gets to go to DW! LOL