PDA

View Full Version : Car Guys and Gals

caryrae
05-09-2009, 10:55 AM
What do you guys think of the new Chevy Camaro? Pricing starts at $23,040.

Vehicle Highlights
The 2010 Chevrolet Camaro marks the return of this General Motors division's iconic "pony car." It bows as a 2-door coupe with a 2-door convertible model slated to arrive later. Many of the styling cues are derived from the 1969 Camaro. The 2010 version shares some of its basic design with the Pontiac G8. Camaro comes in LS, 1LT, 2LT, 1SS, and 2SS trim levels. Two engines are available--a V6 and a V8. The V6 is a 3.6-liter unit that produces 304 hp. It's available on LS and LT. SS versions with a manual transmission get a 426-hp 6.2-liter V8. Automatic-equipped SS models also get a 6.2-liter V8, but it makes 400 hp and features GM's Active Fuel Management cylinder deactivation. V6 versions also offer a manual or automatic transmission. Available safety features include ABS, traction control, antiskid system, front side airbags, and curtain side airbags. An RS Package for LT and SS models includes bi-xenon headlights, specific trim, and on LT versions, 20-inch wheels. All Camaros have optional 21-inch wheels. Other available features include a wireless cell phone link, USB port, satellite radio, remote engine start, and later in the model year, rear-obstacle detection. We have not yet tested a 2010 Chevrolet Camaro

BMan62
05-09-2009, 12:08 PM
What do you get on that base model? Not much, I'm sure - LS package, 6cyl. manual tranny, and that's about it. By the time you beef it up enough to make it into a 'real' Camaro, I would be willing to bet you're over $30K easily.

Had GM done this 5 years ago, around the time the revamped Mustang came out, it would have gone over big. Now, it will still be a good seller, but not something to bring GM back from the brink of bankruptcy.

Scott C
05-09-2009, 12:43 PM
from what I have read--the base 6cyl has more power than the V8 did just a few years back and the 6cyl is about 200lbs lighter than the V8 version. idk-cheaper may be better. The times they are a changin. I am writing this as I am looking at my 1972 Olds with a 455 out the front window. It is hard for me to say this but the smaller engine just might be a decent option. I would have to drive them both in order to pass judgement.

Thanks
Scott C

Pagan
05-09-2009, 01:04 PM
They've already been recalled. Apparently, whoever designed the car ran the battery cable so that it was leaning against the starter. The coating of the cable wears off, and the car shorts out and can be a fire hazard.

That itself makes me wonder how well thought out the design of the car is.

The 2010 Mustang is a better bet.

mixelate
05-09-2009, 07:42 PM
I know nothing about cars at all really... but I have seen a few of them around and they look pretty good!

I am sure the new transformer movie coming out will help sales :)

diz_girl
05-11-2009, 01:23 PM
The 2010 Mustang is a better bet.

Another vote for the Mustang. Last month DH got a 2009 GT500 Shelby Cobra SVT, so we're Mustang fans in our house.

Buying the first-year model of any new GM car (or even a significant redesign) is taking a big risk.

DizNee143
05-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Buying the first-year model of any new GM car (or even a significant redesign) is taking a big risk.

that goes for any kinda car..wether, GM, Ford, Volkswagon, etc..

and thats how it goes for most things..that are new..
dont buy the first year..let them work out the kinks then go for it..

im more of a ford girl myself..but my hubby breathes chevy..whenever we actually have money in this life again (LOL) that will be our next big purchase...
so it can go with all his other toys (vehicles)..

tjstrike
05-15-2009, 05:58 AM
I think it's junk compared to the Mustang !!

"I bleed FORD blue" :D

disneyboundagain
05-15-2009, 06:52 AM
I am a die-hard Chevy fan, I have a '67 Camaro in the garage. BUT, I am very disheartened that this car was hyped for at least 3 years before it came out. How long was the Challenger promoted before it was available for sale, 12 months? If I were buying, my money would go for the Challenger, partly because I like it better, partly out of principle.