PDA

View Full Version : Land of the Lost (Now on DVD)

NotaGeek
05-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Ok, Land of the Lost was one of my FAVORITE shows in my youth ... and although Will Ferrell has the tendency to drive me crazy, the trailer to this movie makes me DIE laughing ... and last night at Star Trek everyone else in the theater was too ...

Land of the Lost Official Site (http://www.landofthelost.net/)

Yahoo! Page (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809953162/info)

SBETigg
05-08-2009, 06:05 PM
It was such a great show! I loved Land of the Lost. I'm excited about the movie, but I'm also afraid Will Ferrell will ruin it (not that I don't enjoy Will Ferrell). It's not going to be the same Rick-Holly-Will relationship dynamic we got used to with the show, and what about the Sleestaks (who used to scare me!) and Chukka?

So, of course, I'm going to have to see it, but I hope I can accept something new and not be hyper-critical in comparing to the original. Okay, watched the trailer and the Sleestaks do look pretty cool. Maybe it will work.

Ian
05-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Why did I think it was Marshall, Will, and Holly? :confused:

Anyway, yeah ... I loved Land of the Lost when I was younger. Definitely excited.

Does anyone know ... is this going to be some goofy Will Ferrell spoof of the original series or is it supposed to be a legit remake?

EDIT: I was right. It is Marshall, Will, and Holly. The theme song started out:

Marshall, Will and Holly
On a routine expedition
Met the greatest earthquake ever known

Melanie
05-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Loved this show!!!! Not sure about Will Farrell though.

SBETigg
05-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Why did I think it was Marshall, Will, and Holly? :confused:

Anyway, yeah ... I loved Land of the Lost when I was younger. Definitely excited.

Does anyone know ... is this going to be some goofy Will Ferrell spoof of the original series or is it supposed to be a legit remake?

EDIT: I was right. It is Marshall, Will, and Holly. The theme song started out:

Marshall, Will and Holly
On a routine expedition
Met the greatest earthquake ever known

The father was Rick Marshall. Wasn't he? I thought he was. In the original series, they were the Marshall family, Rick, Holly, and Will. It's not a legit remake. It's a goofy spoof.

ILoveLegos
05-08-2009, 09:08 PM
I had forgotten about the Sleestacks, they terrified me as a child! They were always kidnapping somebody. I never could figure out why they kept doing that, did they want to eat them or something? Oh and Chakka was cool though. Trying to run from dinosaurs, that was my major nightmare along with the scary sleestacks! In the original series did Marshall, Will and Holly ever make it home?

No offense, but between the sleestacks and PBS' Alphabet Soup puppets (especially their huge hands and motionless faces) were REALLY CREEPY televison, for children in the 70s IMHO. Ugh, LOL!

IamBelle
05-08-2009, 10:35 PM
I have never seen the show, but I did see the trailer for this and it looks hilarious. I usually do not care for Will Farrell movies, with the exception of Elf, but I think I will go see this one!

SBETigg
05-09-2009, 09:45 AM
No offense, but between the sleestacks and PBS' Alphabet Soup puppets (especially their huge hands and motionless faces) were REALLY CREEPY televison, for children in the 70s IMHO. Ugh, LOL!

I think it was a wildly imaginative, fantastic time for children's programming. It's all so tame and PC now. We got to have some really scary bad guys and no one seemed worried about making it too frightening, too suggestive, or too on message. But the good guys always won, so there was something safe and reassuring about it, too.

I loved H.R Puffenstuff and scary Witchy-Poo. And then there was Sigmond and the Seamonsters and Land of the Lost. Some really great shows.

murphy1
05-09-2009, 04:13 PM
I loved all those shows, Sigmund, the Bugaloos and all the other ones, too. I showed my kids the Sleestaks on Youtube, they were like "ewww!" I liked Holly's pet dinosuar LOL.

gueli
05-28-2009, 03:07 AM
I too am intereested to see this one.
My DW was watching an old episode on TV the other night. WOW how different it looks now.
I hope the movie is entertaining and fun
:mickey:

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
05-28-2009, 11:37 PM
We loved this show as kids! What's funny is our next older brother and us 3 gals are taking the afternoon of Friday the 5th to do some "crazy childhood bonding!' We are really excited about seeing this and hope it is good.
Our Mom was like, "Why would you miss half a days work to see a stupid movie?!" We all laughed and just said it was a good excuse to do something fun together. Todd is 18 months older than us but we always treated him like our little brother because the 3 of us together could beat him up! He is the best guy in the world and we hope this is an awesome movie!!

Dawn,Denise&DIane:wave::wave::wave:

lovewalt
05-30-2009, 12:20 PM
I really wasn't planning on seeing this movie UNTIL the sci-fi channel ran a Land of the Lost marathon last weekend.My daughter was hooked.I could barely drag her awake from the TV long enough to eat dinner.Now she wants to see the movie.
I wasn't really a fan of this show as a kid.I remember watching the theme song and not much else.I thought it was cool that there was a character on TV with my name,Holly.

mrsgaribaldi
06-05-2009, 07:01 AM
I can't wait to see it. :mickey:

NotaGeek
06-05-2009, 10:48 AM
WOW. This movie is getting killed by the critics! It's at 24% on Rotten Tomatoes ... not a good outlook, but I will still probably see it this weekend ... fingers crossed. I don't need Academy Award level ... just some laughs!

MNNHFLTX
06-05-2009, 12:08 PM
WOW. This movie is getting killed by the critics! It's at 24% on Rotten Tomatoes ... not a good outlook, but I will still probably see it this weekend ... fingers crossed. I don't need Academy Award level ... just some laughs!Don't lose hope, Michael--the Houston Chronicle gives the the movie 2-1/2 stars (out of four), which isn't too bad. From the reviewer's perspective, if a person likes Will Ferrell movies, they will get a kick out of this one too.

In comparison, they gave "My Life in Ruins" 1-1/2 stars. ;)

DizneyFreak2002
06-07-2009, 06:24 PM
I know people like WIll Ferrell, but, I think he is not as funny as people make him out to be... His best movie was Anchorman... His best parts were when he wasn't the lead... Talladega Nights bored me... Step Brothers, I shut off... Semi-Pro and Blades of Steel rank as some of the worst movies I ever saw... He keeps playing the same characters over and over... Sorry Will Ferrell fans... IMHO, he just isn't that funny...

SBETigg
06-07-2009, 07:47 PM
The movie was expected to make $30 million on opening weekend, and made far less. It's being called the first big bomb of the summer. Haven't seen it yet, but I tend to think that a) Will Ferrell plays the same character in many of his movies, and this was no exception (though I do think he's funny half the time), and b) Land of the Lost fans are out there, but possibly not as numerous as assumed-- and LOL diehards may be disappointed to see that Ferrell isn't playing this true to the original TV show, making it a disappointment all around. I would expect it to be cheesy and fun with bad special effects, but I think Will Ferrell probably goes over the top even for this.

DizneyFreak2002
06-07-2009, 09:35 PM
How about C) People are finally waking up to the fact that Will Ferrell is not funny...

PirateLover
06-07-2009, 10:56 PM
How about C) People are finally waking up to the fact that Will Ferrell is not funny...

OK, you've made it clear that you don't find him funny. Many people do, but his name apparently wasn't a big enough draw this time around. I have not seen the movie yet, but I still plan to.

Jeff G
06-08-2009, 11:51 AM
When I heard they were making a Land of the Lost movie I was pretty excited as I really liked the show as a kid. Later I heard that Will Ferrell was cast I was less than excited but tried to stay optimistic. For me Ferrell has been a hit or miss actor, I thought he was good in Elf & Old School (both movies he was more subdued than normal) while I couldn't stand him in Talladega Nights, Blades of Glory or Semi-Pro.

I saw the trailer a few weeks ago and my desire to see this movie disappeared. It looks like they took a corny TV show and made it with a lot of dumbed down humor. I was hoping my initial impressions were were wrong but the critics on Rotten Tomatoes are not positive nor are the reviews by the RT Community which is giving this a 33% positive.

I think I'll wait until I can rent this for $1 from Red Box to check it out.

DVC2004
06-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Yeah not really funny. I was disappointed. the TV show itself was corny too but I expected more from the movie. I do like Will Ferrell but not his best work.

Disneyatic
06-16-2009, 05:15 PM
I agree that Will Ferrell's movies can be hit or miss.
That being said, I liked this one! DH, DD9 and I went to see it and we all laughed quite a bit. It's his typical weird humor and delivery, but not quite as over the top as some of his movies. But definitely, if you don't like Will Ferrell or his style bothers you, you won't like this one.

murphy1
06-16-2009, 07:49 PM
DisneyFreak, c'mon, Elf was funny!:D

Gator
01-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Just rented Land of the Lost with Will Ferrell. It was absolutely hilarious :haha: I highly recommend it. :thumbsup:

NotaGeek
01-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Just rented Land of the Lost with Will Ferrell. It was absolutely hilarious :haha: I highly recommend it. :thumbsup:
Hmmm ... I really wanted to see this but the horrible reviews kept me away. I didn't realize it was on DVD already, I will definitely check it out! :thumbsup:

leapyear29
01-11-2010, 07:53 AM
this is one of the best comedy movie that is not rated R.. i can't say it's the best but it's worth watch!