PDA

View Full Version : Umbrella stroller and backpack question

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
05-07-2009, 03:59 PM
We'll be leaving in about 5 weeks (whohoooo) for a week at the Happiest Place on Earth, this time with several other friends with children our daughter's age. Last time we brought our regular stroller, which was a mistake. The normal stroller, full size but not jogging stroller, was just too big and bulky to lug around when we were not wheeling it (the bus).

We thought this time we'd just use our trusty old $20 umbrella stroller and let me carry a backpack, especially with the cost of renting strollers going so high.

What have your experiences been with umbrella strollers - ok? Any advice, other than to take an extra poncho to cover the stroller for parking in the rain?

How about backpacks? Are there any backpacks that have some sort of a cold storage area where we could keep a couple of drinks and ice packs?

MidnTPK
05-07-2009, 04:04 PM
We found that Combi's tri-fold strollers are a nice compromise between full size and umbrella strollers. They fold up well and are easily carried on buses with their integrated shoulder strap.

Jfamily
05-07-2009, 05:14 PM
I don't know if this is an option for you but we bought a lightweight stoller for $40 that has a understorage just for our trip in August. They also sell these clips that hook onto your stoller for bags.
Just another option for you. Also, if you are bringing bottle water with you. The last time I went to Disney we were able to go to any concession stand and ask for a cup of ice. It was free and we were able to have a cold drink without worring about keeping our water cold.

cajunprincess
05-07-2009, 05:22 PM
We too, asked for ice at vendors and recieved free ice (and water too). This is a great option. :mickey:

trackbarroness
05-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Also remember to put something on your stroller to mark it as yours. Because there will be others there with the same style, color and what not. So use a name and use stuff that you will know as your own stroller so you will know it before you read the name on the stroller. We had 5 identical strollers parked in a row, there was nothing to idenify the stroller belonging to John Smith or who ever. As to the backpack made for carrying cold stuff. Yes there are backpacks that are coolers check out target, walmart and sporting goods stores for them. We got one at target last year, it does the job of keeping things cold and you and others from getting a wet seat. :D lol Or dripping all over the place.

DANAM
05-07-2009, 06:21 PM
You can use a poncho but I bought a clear plastic stroller cover from babies r us. It was pretty inexpensive and the plastic is heavier than a poncho so our stroller stayed dry. Plus you can keep it on with the child inside.

madandmaksmom
05-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Like the PP, I don't know if purchasing a stroller is an option. We were in the market for a new one last year with the same problem--full size was too much for carting around, but we wanted our toddler to be comfortable enough to take naps on the go, plus have storage. We purchased a Mia Moda Cielo (not the cheapest by far, but less than renting one at the parks) and it was perfect. It has a detachable bag, and folds up to a large square briefcase size with a handle. It fit under the bus seats. It has completely replaced all our other strollers at home and is the only our 2 year-old will still agree to get in. I would also get the heavier stroller cover. We were the envy of many a family who found themselves with soggy strollers once the ponchos blew away.:mickey:

jensantuit
05-07-2009, 09:36 PM
We purchased 2 of the Chicco C6 lightweight umbrella strollers. They are great, they have a canopy, they recline a little, it has a mesh storage basket under the stroller. I believe it was about $70 per stroller, which at the time seemed like a lot but we have gotten our moneys worth. The strollers that we purchased came in a variety of colors, we went with the tangerine which came in very helpful finding them in a crowd.
We also purchased umbrella stroller covers that we received many compliments on to keep the rain off the kids and when we went onto a ride we could always put the cover on so that the stroller wouldn't get wet while we were on a ride. I hope this helps. :mickey:

05-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Thank you! My wife went to Babies R Us tonight and has her eye on one, I think she said it was around $70 or so. That's a great suggestion to get the rain cover for it there at Babies R Us too - that'll totally keep the rain off it. I am thinking about tying an Alabama Crimson Tide small flag on the handles so we can pick our stroller out.

My wife did say that the canopy under the stroller isn't very big, I think she said it holds 4 kg or something like that, but I have no idea what that means.
We can just keep the backpack we have now and pack a collapsible lunchbox in it with freezer packs, we'll be good to go.

mickeys_princess_mom
05-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Just looked back to see when you're going...hot time of year...May I suggest one of the clipon fans to go on your stroller? Disney sells one for around $15-$20, but you can also find some good ones online...Have fun!

05-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Just looked back to see when you're going...hot time of year...May I suggest one of the clipon fans to go on your stroller? Disney sells one for around $15-$20, but you can also find some good ones online...Have fun!

where can i get the disney one?
We'll be there June 13-20 - yikes!!

Mickey91
05-07-2009, 11:37 PM
You can usually get a Disney Stroller in any of the resort gift shops and probably at the World of Disney at DTD. They are around $50. But they seem to be very nice. I haven't bought one as my children were too big for them by the time they started selling them (or at least by the time I noticed them :blush:). But if I could hire a toddler for the day I would get one!!:D

gaffz70
05-08-2009, 06:51 AM
Last time we went we used 2 lightweight umbrella strollers and loved it - no waiting in line to rent, very easy to fold for buses, we kept ponchos, sunscreen, drinks in the mesh bag on the stroller,and those water spray fans from walmart $20 - we did tie a scarf so we could easily spot them - but we didn't really need to as the majority had the blue park strollers.
We also had chip clips for maps and showtimes on the back of the stroller.
We didn't need a backpack
We also left one behind and gave it to another family - paying forward a little Disney magic :mickey:

DizneyRox
05-08-2009, 06:56 AM
As someone else mentioned, it will be HOT that time of year. I'm not sure if I would spend much time/energy/money on trying to keep anything cold.

I've brought 20oz frozen solid water bottles into the parks that time of year and they are luke warm by about 10:30am if I haven't drank them. It may be an exercize in futility to keep anything cold

mickeys_princess_mom
05-08-2009, 05:59 PM
where can i get the disney one?
We'll be there June 13-20 - yikes!!

Most of the big shops in Disney had them, and I remember seeing them in many of the hotel gift shops. :wave:

jensantuit
05-08-2009, 10:09 PM
The Chicco's mesh storage basket is a little on the small side, but we usually pack on the light side so we haven't had a problem. The storage basket also gives a little so that you can fit larger items in there. Hope this helps. :mickey: